• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Legendary Terrains

Level 19
terrain art and map making can lie extremely closely together.
it's just that most people can't bring up the effort to add pathing, and if they do, they usually just make paths and leave unpathed crap all around. if one hole is found in these cases, the whole thing just falls apart :/

using pathing blokers just adds to de overall doodad quantity but you could press P to see the pathing so that you wont leave any empty gaps

using pathing blokers just adds to de overall doodad quantity but you could press P to see the pathing so that you wont leave any empty gaps

wwwat
i know about the pathing (which is n for me incidentally) but the rest is kind of obvious

also, edge of darkness imo, is just not very aesthetically pleasing or anything. take shadow for an example. that's anti-aliased, its tree is fitting and leaves aren't around everywhere. every part of the terrain is extremely specifically placed, the grass actually looks good. edge of darkness is pretty much the opposite, the grass and trees seem randomly placed, the cliff with the person is just one of those ? things. also, shadow conveys emotion about as good as a wc3 terrain can, i even think it should be higher up.

Level 18
id have to agree wit belgareth. In my own eyes, its an okay terrain. I never thought it would be nominated.

I recognize the anti-aliasing problem, that alone takes alot of points off. And as for random placement, it wasnt randomly placed, but there is nothing in the terrain that makes it not seem random. All in all i summed that terrain up by simply being a good lighting effect, and nothing much more. It may be epic or what not, but i dont think its the best i can do. but ill leave it for the jury to decide.

As for the shadow terrain, it has its flaws, but it conveys such a powerful message. To be truthfully honest, all my silhouette terrains are based off his picture, and i see it as an inspiration. So removing it would be foolish.

in regard to that terrain, firstly, turn on antialiasing. it does make a massive difference, just right click on your desktop, click nvidia control panel, and go to change 3d options with a preview. then just slide the thing to Quality (far right).
then, the trees. they're just complete shit, not your fault, it's the model. those planes are just completely disgusting in this way and they just look terrible in every way
the reflections on the immediate left of the boat seem pretty off, if you're making a reflection terrain, you do need to get the reflections pretty damn good, like keiji said, birds.
the grass up front is, through a lack of antialiasing and just being that model, really bad. just looks extremely pixely.

now finally, while they are alright at times, are you ever going to make a terrain that is not a silhouette or a really super close up where you can only see a tiny bit, maybe, you know, a broad view, where you can see model details further than just the first line
they get realllllllly repetitive

Level 18
k thanks for antialiasing tip i was wondering how to turn that on thanks

now finally, while they are alright at times, are you ever going to make a terrain that is not a silhouette or a really super close up where you can only see a tiny bit, maybe, you know, a broad view, where you can see model details further than just the first line
they get realllllllly repetitive

as for that, thats just a terraining style. every terrainer has his her own style of terraining. silhouetting and closeups is just what i like to specialize in. Some people like very broad Open bright seeing the world shots while i like to focus on the simple natures of whats in front of you and lighting effects. I cant really help it if im better at that then what YOU are good at.

im not taking this as a flame or anything, neither am i responding to it as a an insult, just sharing my point of view with you

Level 19
I nominate this:

66403d1254152437-raid1000s-screens-waterfall-castle.png

Level 19
I think I would have a chance to be in the top 10 then. Somewere in the end I'm sure my Oakwood Forest Main City could deserve a spot. And about the CW terrains. Don't be so sure its only 10x Cloudwolf. Think about Lexandritte! The terrains from his campaign are awesome!

Level 36
Alright folks, the caske of nominated terrains have now been emptied and a new round for a new list has begun. This does ALSO include the terrains already on the list. So we need you members to start nominating new terrains (or old) for the list. So if you want to see your favorite terrain on the list, I suggest you start by nominating it ;)

Also, Jury members, be sure to check out the group frequently the comming weeks.