• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Legendary Terrains

Level 36
Sorry about that, and sorry if the title is missleading, however somehow I find the title "Top Ten Latest Terrains" less appealing than "Top ten terrains." I much prefere the simple title. Then again, that IS a personal perspective, still there is nothing that can be done about it, so the title name stays, its my error on that part if it truely is an error, that is.

Personally, I dont think the name is a big deal at all.

well jesus christ, the name is one of the most misleading parts of the whole thread. people look at it and see the top ten terrains, yet they're meant to be the latest (which they're most definitely not)?

also that sounds like an utterly terrible idea. it would never everk work for a multitude of reasons that i don't even have to name. it would probably also turn out to be a huge shitstorm - how would you judge it / what would you judge it by etc

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Well, I don't have enough energy to browse through all 13 pages to see what's nominated already, however I will sudgest some terrains that I don't think I've seen on this thread yet:
Border of Life (2-P)
This is to me one of the more creative terrains I've seen! The lighting is just stunning!
BorderOfLife.png

Eternal Life (Keiji)
Not much to say, just "eye candy" as in most of your terrains...
Eternal Life.png

Melancholy (2-P)
Another one of 2-P's terrains. The atmosphere in this picture is just unique to me, even though it's a simple enough terrain to execute!
Melancholy.png

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
How come the ones on display now are some of the terrains from the ledgendary terrains topic then? Isn't it just the top 10 terrains ever uploaded to the hive?
Just noticed that it was top 10 of the hive by the way, so feel free to disregard 2-P's terrains...
This is the hive workshop top ten list: terrains. It contains the
top ten best looking and most appealing terrains on the hive.
These terrains have been chosen by our own Jury of great terrainers and terrain
reviewers, And the list will be updated monthly to give new and
veteran terrainers a chance to get on the list. And if you want to see a terrain
that you like or that you made on the list then go ahead and post
a suggestion, it WILL be taken in regard.
Seems to me like any terrains can be sudgested that has been uploaded to the hive :smile:

Level 34
Keiji, thanks for the welcome!

I still see no real reason to have this thread if the Legendary Terrain is updated properly. I won't bother arguing about it though, it's really not a big deal.

Granted I would make one last suggestion. If you really want a thread like this, why not just make it a subsection of the Legendary Thread? Put it on top as the top ten, and then have all the rest.

Level 36
Keiji, thanks for the welcome!

I still see no real reason to have this thread if the Legendary Terrain is updated properly. I won't bother arguing about it though, it's really not a big deal.

Granted I would make one last suggestion. If you really want a thread like this, why not just make it a subsection of the Legendary Thread? Put it on top as the top ten, and then have all the rest.

Thats actually a good idea, but still. To me it seems like too small a change that I want to bother going through with it, had you suggested this when we were discussing the making of it however... >.>

Anyways, updated the list with the latest terrains. Keep terraining and nominating and next time it might be YOUR terrain that is on the list ;)

Level 18
thats Raid's watercastle ? i thought that was megafyr's O.O

i guess im bugging out imma go check lol

edit : ya im bugging xD gz raid that castle is fantastic and im glad its getting the recognition it deserves.

iv'e always wondered, how you managed to make that sky effect look so uncanny and realistic.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Level 22
Those all look really good. But what I noticed though, is that all of those terrainers use custom models. It's a lot easier to make terrain look good that way. I mean, bad terrain with amazing custom models will still look good.

Try making good looking terrain without custom models.

Level 36
It's part of the top ten list, you might consider reading the main topic before you comment? Anyways, an artist uses the tools available to him to make art. That means if I were to say something along the lines of what you said about custom models:

"I can see all these drawings are made in Photoshop, and that always turns out great no matter the skill, try making a good looking artwork with Paint." >.>
- Now, why dont you do that? Because it is bothersome and really annoying, let alone fun.

Now in all seriousness, it's not the tools that make it great (in this case doodads) but the utility of the tools, how you use them.

Oh and for the record, the "Top Ten List" is about nominated terrains by users, then judged by a jury, THEN based on the score put either on or off the list, it's not a part of the legendary terrain folder, and neither does it deserve to be.

Level 19
I think you're looking at it wrong. Think of models as tools given to terrainers, and those who make the models look good make good terrains. It really takes more than placing a couple of models, it's about the feeling you put into the terrain. Nature is imo one of Keiji's best. Why? The only thing people point out about it is that it has high quality models. Meaning the rest is good as it is, and that is what a legendary terrain should be imo.

Level 22
"I can see all these drawings are made in Photoshop, and that always turns out great no matter the skill, try making a good looking artwork with Paint." >.>
- Now, why dont you do that? Because it is bothersome and really annoying, let alone fun.

Hehe, true. I see your point.

Now in all seriousness, it's not the tools that make it great (in this case doodads) but the utility of the tools, how you use them.

Oh and for the record, the "Top Ten List" is about nominated terrains by users, then judged by a jury, THEN based on the score put either on or off the list, it's not a part of the legendary terrain folder, and neither does it deserve to be.

Ah, yes. My mistake.

By the way, your Nature terrain does look good. But I really think you've got some terrains that look much better. Why exactly did you pick Nature?

I think you're looking at it wrong. Think of models as tools given to terrainers, and those who make the models look good make good terrains. It really takes more than placing a couple of models, it's about the feeling you put into the terrain. Nature is imo one of Keiji's best. Why? The only thing people point out about it is that it has high quality models. Meaning the rest is good as it is, and that is what a legendary terrain should be imo.

You mean like, for example, people not noticing a movie's score because it's implemented so well. Something like that?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I just wanted to say that I've seen better then those two terrains, in the "old" days they were good, but now, it's like comparing custom doodads to blizzard ones for example, well not that far but you get the picture.
I see your point, however I judge most terrains by atmosphere. And these two have enough to compare with just about anything.
Again, this is only my oppinion.:wink: