• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Keep Hive Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Asking people for donations to keep a website up is futile. It's hard to believe anybody is actually wasteful enough to throw away their hard earned dollars, but it happens. It's true that people actually get a lot of help from the hive, but if it crashed today, you'd probably just visit any of the other countless warcraft websites. So my question is, why bother to keep the hive alive? The website owner probably just takes the donations down to the bar anyway, lol. -my response to the request for donations on the home page

Level 15
What's so wrong about voluntarily donating money to the Hive (or any site for that matter)? It is simply putting a little money into something appreciated and enjoyed. Everyone does so periodically, whether it be for food, games, drinks, amusements...even websites. :smile:

EDIT: And Ralle isn't spending the money on random things. It all goes to server fees and previous hosting expenses.

Last edited:
Level 7
HEY! Ralle wants to keep THW alive for all of us, donations of course help him keep it alive, he wouldn't just suddenly go down to the bar and waste it and not care about THW. I'm sure he cares more about the site than go the bar for some beer anyways...so a donation a day keeps THW alive! ^^

Level 8
Well, I would say welcome to the Hive Workshop, but such negativity urges me to do otherwise...

The Hive is something that hundreds of people have poured their lives into, constantly working to make it just a little better, just a little bit easier to use. And why, may I ask, do they do this? For you. For me. For everyone out there that has questions or problems. For that aspiring artist who wishes to showcase his (or her, Wulf :grin:) talent. Oh, and even for those nubs who ask how to do something without even attempting it. That's why bother.

Ff you think that this is such a waste of time and talent, then maybe you shouldn't have the privilege to benefit from that time, that talent...

Level 21
hes entitled to an opinoin but i personally dont care for it. a large number of the websites on the internet require donations, as do many of the warcraft 3 sites. so whats the point to keeping any of them open? well its for the enjoyment of having a forum where people can talk about the game and whatever else. if people didnt want to be here they would have left already.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Ralle makes use of the money only to pay the website fees. If he used it on bars, the website wouldn't be up, would it?

One thing I must agree, though, is that it's too much money. 90$ a month is madness, and that multiplied by 12 is crazy, 1080$ a year! That's a LOT of money, specially when spending it on a dying game. Even if NOT dying, it'll die someday.

Level 1
I didn't expect so much support for the hive.There are others who agree with me, they won't post because they don't want to be banned or lose their rep points. I didn't mean to upset anyone, but I guess that's what happens when you hit a bee hive with a ball bat. Not bad responses though, they really argue their side well, I like that. "Stone the Knave!" nice one.

Level 15
Asking people for donations to keep a website up is futile. It's hard to believe anybody is actually wasteful enough to throw away their hard earned dollars, but it happens. It's true that people actually get a lot of help from the hive, but if it crashed today, you'd probably just visit any of the other countless warcraft websites. So my question is, why bother to keep the hive alive? The website owner probably just takes the donations down to the bar anyway, lol. -my response to the request for donations on the home page

Why you say ?

Well, some of us feel like a part of this community. It's just not a place to share maps and get help with something. We talk about everything. Someone even posts important stuff going on in their life's. Like one guy, posted a thread about his mother having cancer, and the guy had a hard time dealing with it. So, we supported him. You see, sometimes sharing your up's and down's in life can be easier with people you don't know and don't have to stand face to face with.

Last edited:
Level 1
13 vs 1 , I'll reply to each message posted so far.
samuraid - asking for donations/money online is called cyber begging, it's immoral and annoying.
panther-anthro - I don't agree.
sephiyr - Are you sure? :p
dalaran_guard - That was dramatic, but I'll benefit from that time and talent whether I shouldn't or not.
the_end - That was my favorite post.
blackcat - I've been banned before, it doesn't work well on me.
gst_nemisis - asking for donations/money online is called cyber begging, it's immoral and annoying.
rui - that's one way to look at it, another is that he can pay the website fees just fine and the donations are for that HDTV he's saving up for. lol
captain griffen - touche.
supa - I'm not leaving, and if you don't like what I say, don't read it.
werewulf - I'm not trying to stop people from donating, I'm just discussing it.
operator - that was a nice post, he seemed determined to change the way I feel about the hive. But i don't hate the hive.
shadow_fox - I would never say that about the salvation army. In fact, I'd reccomend donating to them instead of the hive.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I am not begging for money. I simply request people to help me support our website.
I don't like seeing the website as my own personal belonging. I however am the person with most access, and the one who in the end decides what's good and bad.
I don't care if you donate or not appz_hunter. Why bother?
Well because hive is a special place?
Why pay people for their great software, when you can download it for free? I am not saying that you are a pirate. But if you are willing to pay for every piece of software you use, you might also feel like donating to such a great community.
since your post count is only 5, I am sure that you don't know the whole story, all the up and downtimes (sorry about that, trying my best to fix it), everything. Those years with hive have been very nice.
I hope you understand what I want to say :p

appz_hunter, welcome to the (bee)hive

Ralle

Level 15
samuraid - asking for donations/money online is called cyber begging, it's immoral and annoying.
Well, it may be annoying in your opinion. That is your opinion though (although you are definitely entitled to it :smile:)
However, calling it immoral... How do you know it is immoral? Do you have some sort of concrete argument for why it is immoral, or is that also just your opinion?

Level 18
blackcat - I've been banned before, it doesn't work well on me.
rui - that's one way to look at it, another is that he can pay the website fees just fine and the donations are for that HDTV he's saving up for. lol
supa - I'm not leaving, and if you don't like what I say, don't read it.
Then consider it payment for the service of constantly maintaining and improving the website, which is also providing a service to the community.
No staff member here would ban you for this.
Don't even joke about something like that, Ralle is one of the best people I know.
Take a leaf from your own book - if you don't like donating, then don't do it.

The rest of your comments are undeserving of a response.

-*meow*

Level 12
I honestly dont see your reasoning.
You call its immoral and begging? He just kindly asked, if anyone has some spare change give a little to the site we all like. Its like a voluntary 'council tax', to improve you area. This are being the Hive.

Its like your comparing it to some homeless guy, asking for money, only to go spend it on drugs and alcohol.

You say ure here just to discuss it? But how exactly how is this discussing it.
The way you put it, rudely, it seems more like you just want the website to go down.

Level 3
But why not pass the ball to someone else who can pay for the site? You can't have it forever.

Level 8
Everyone has their opinions, but rather than making a thread with 1,000 angry posts in reply to one person's ignorance, let's just lay off instead. :coolgrunt: $90 (around £30 in my moneys I think) is not all that much in the grand scheme of 2,000+ active members and 1 month, takes about £1 from 30 members and that is it. So many people replying with an undertone of anger to one person's ignorance spoils the atmosphere, the thread with the most recent reply will constantly be this one, and nobody really wants to see it (LOL) :infl_thumbs_up: So just relax, I see plenty of kind people with the doctor icon, so that means the funding will come from somewhere eventually, and people who want to abuse those generous souls aren't worth the effort. :coolgrunt:

Level 14
The exchange rate is roughly £1 to $2; and that's a peak. It hasn't been £1 to $3 for...a hell of a long time. We're talking decades.

But why not pass the ball to someone else who can pay for the site? You can't have it forever.

Number of people here with a spare grand a year for a WC3 modding site? Most likely zero.

That's a large chuck out of a normal family's income.

Level 25
It's hard to believe anybody is actually wasteful enough to throw away their hard earned dollars

Tell that to people who do donate money

You see, while I am a bitter hate-filled person who holds little hope for humanity, I do acknowledge that there are those of us who go out of our way to help others. And a fair ammount on the Internet, who donate to people to get them through hardships

So yeah, your argument falls apart roughly about there

Level 13
appez_hunter, you seem to be an intelligent person from your responses. However, the creation of this thread as a new member was not the most insightful decision you could have made. As an answer to your question and a respectful reply to your impulsive opinion I must assert that the hive workshop is not just another corrupt modding website, it is an online domain allowing each member to showcase his/her work and improve upon themselves. The hive (as I can infer by your post that you do not conceive) is also a community that pulls together for the good of the whole; for the public by the commanality and upkept by authority. This site is (for many) a respectful outlet for apprehension and a source of confidence; a site to expose and brandish talents; and, most importantly a place that allows impunity for opinions of the minoirtys and promotes acuity. If you disagree that a site such as this should exist. Then you, my friend, should take your inadequacy's elsewhere.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Are you two ok?
You don't have to agree with 1)ark_NiTe and make some kick Rui to the middle of dunnowhat, just to look good.
I honestly don't understand where THAT came from. But alright... I might mark 4th June as the Day of Madness, since people appear to be mad today.

And I hold to what I said; those downtimes... they drive me mad.

Level 36
Anyway, I have one thing to say here that I don't think has been said enough:

You call what we are doing "cyber begging".

Not true in the slightest.

People out there in reality who beg for money are most likely going to go out and spend it on drugs or alcohol. What can they do with it? Your spare change isn't going to buy them a warm house to sleep in at night, so they spend it on worse things. You are giving away your money to these people who are begging for it because you pity them.

We are asking for donations. We provide you with a free service, give you access to loads upon loads of content, and then we ask that if you would like, then to please donate to help us continue to provide this free service for you.

There seems to be a big difference, since when you donate, you actually get something out of it, continued use of this free service that we are providing. When you give away your change to a homeless person, it is not olikely that you will ever see them again, or that you will see what use your money goes towards.

Also, the $90 a month server fee is expensive, but it is our only option. $90 a month is cheap for dedicated hosting.

So I can guarantee that if not for this, some noob will post "zomg hosting 300gb for $5 teh monthszd!"

No. This is the problem. We used to pay chickenfeed for our hosting, but we can't do that anymore. Hosting that is cheap like that is called "Shared Hosting"

Shared Hosting means that you have several websites that are all using the same server. The space, the bandwidth, all of the servers resources are shared between the websites.

Now this is all fine and dandy, unless you have a site that is as large as the Hive.

Due to the amount of traffic that we recieve, a shared server is not enough. The resources that this website requires are not accessable on a shared server, there is just too much demand, and the server also has to process the information from the other websites, which might also be formidable.

As we saw many months ago with the 503 Errors that the website was getting, a shared server just can't do the job for us.

So, we are left with but one option: Dedicated Hosting.

Dedicated hosting means that thisn website gets an entire server to itself, so that all of that servers resources are devoted to processing the demands of our website. The resources aren't shared with anyone else. This also results in a much higher cost. Maintenance and other costs are no longer shared among the many hosts on one server, one host pays all the bills inm order to keep that server running.

So, this is why we have such a large bill to foot, and unfortunately, we don't have any other options for cheaper hosting.

Level 27
It is not begging.
Would you rather everyone was required to pay to keep it running or would you rather it was free to use?
If I had money to donate I would do so. Until then I would still like to use the hive.

Level 26
You don't have to pay for this site, exactly. You just have to acknowledge that adequacy isn't free. If you want a site to be better, it comes out in what you do for it.

about 300, my friend kept saying that xerxes was gay, so when i actually watched 300 on saturday, i couldn't keep a straight face XD

Level 32
Keep Thread Alive, why bother?

1. Users may or may not donate their time, ideas, resources or money to this site at their option.

2. This question has been asked, explored and answered. Ralle may elaborate further, if necessary.

3. lol. -my response to the request for donations on the home page

4. "lol. -my response" ~Thread closed due to trolling and cross-posting.

5. appz_hunter: consider yourself warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.