• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

June, Keep Hive Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Usually for me, when anything goes wrong with my connection to THW, I hit the post button and it just sits there loading. That's usually my cue to copy/paste.

Level 21
[off topicses]

just so you know, your connection speed is not determined by how fast your router connection to you computer is. its determined by the connection speed to your ISP. there is a tool i use to test my internet connection speed called "Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test" but it will work for all internet connections and its a free program too, try it out to find your connection speed or call your ISP. alternatively, go to the http page of your router and it should tell you your true connection speed in there.

Level 8
Just to clear things up a bit (again)..

Your internet connection's speed does NOT have anything to do about the server experiences downtimes.

The server simply gets overloaded and restarts some times.

I have two guesses. Either there is a hardwarebug or the server is having a hard time handling too many database queries.

The 90$ every month is actually quite a fair price for a dedicated server (if the hardware works fairly). And if we can't afford the bill, then site will be moved to shared hosting i guess. If that happens, then we won't be able to use all the same functions as usual, and things are getting really slow.

To all, if you have any suggestions that could help THW raise some money for the bills, besides donations and advertising, I'm sure that Ralle would love to hear them.. :)

.. just my point of view

Level 15
Ralle could loan the server space; however, that would mean other sites would be using the server as well and there would be even less resources available for Hive.

Level 36
Well what if we just rented it for storage though? 20 GB to upload your crap onto and access privately whenever you feel like, but not renting it out to start up another site with lots of traffic and the like, just private storage for whoever wants it. That way we can get rid of some extra space, make money off of it, and still retain most of our resources for the Hive :)

Level 21
i still depends on if thats allowed by the company that ralle is renting the server from. it mgiht be against the terms and conditions. dont ask the people tho, read the terms and conditions and if it says nothing about it then do it, that why if they complain you have the right to argue that what you are doing is perfectly fine.

Level 4
wow this has gotten offtopic really fast lol. i'm waiting for the money from my checking to be transfered to my paypal account. They told me it'll probably be on the 12 that the money will reach my paypal account. At which time i will donate money :)

Level 1
well i could throw in 5 or 10 bucks soon :thumbs_up:.. im about to make a $900 payment on my creditcard so i can probably go even higher (i maxed it out <<)

Level 13
Crap.Got a great idea.Why desent Ralle support a map.For example a logged on member make a map,the map is the most famous in the world,Ralle should ask him to post a message like''If u want more info about the map register now to THW on www.hiveworsjop.com/forums and donate just 1 $.If u want to play the map.Im telling you all this will work

Do you know what blizzard would do to the hive if they found out we were charging people to play their game? lol.
Have you tried prostitution ralle? :wink: haha

Anyway, all kidding aside. The server bills are quite expensive. Who is the webserver again?

Level 24
[URL="http://hiveworkshop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96]Off Topic[/URL]. If everybody in that forum had the ability and will to donate one dollar, THW would be fine. IMO it's a rather fine General forum except it's not that active.

Level 4
Do you know what blizzard would do to the hive if they found out we were charging people to play their game? lol.
Have you tried prostitution ralle? :wink: haha

Anyway, all kidding aside. The server bills are quite expensive. Who is the webserver again?

IN all sense we're not charging anyone, its all voluntary donations and its not to play their game but to support a site that gives lots of great stuff to mapmakers who make maps for the game.

Btw tomorrow (the 12) the funds should finally hit my paypal account. And then i'll send it. Btw it'll be a pretty nice sum. Just to prove that i am not Dark_nite setting up another account just to vote for his entry in the holy spell contest, (as some have believed). and its also about time i supported a site that gives me such good imports for my map :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 36
Yes, Warhammer 40K TD is the entire reason the Hive exists really.

And Herio, for the love of christ, it's not that expensive. The price seems high, yes, but we have one of the cheapest dedicated servers around. What we pay is CHEAP compared to others who pay several hundred dollars a month for their dedicated servers. Most start at $150 or more per month. We have it cheap.

Level 2
Just out of curiosity you pay $90 every month for what? What i mean is Bandwidth and storage. Cause i have seen one that was like $5.39 a month for unlimited bandwidth and storage. If your paying for your domain name too i know where u can get a free one.(100% legal)

Level 36
That is called Shared Hosting. You don't get unlimited bandwidth or storage. Unlimited is used theoretically, and i'm positive that there are limits. Bandwidth, however unlimited, would never work here. We would use it up way too fast. As well, you have to share that server with dozens of other websites, that's why it's so cheap.

We pay $90 a month to rent a server from a company and host our website on it.

Level 2
That is called Shared Hosting. You don't get unlimited bandwidth or storage. Unlimited is used theoretically, and i'm positive that there are limits. Bandwidth, however unlimited, would never work here. We would use it up way too fast. As well, you have to share that server with dozens of other websites, that's why it's so cheap.

We pay $90 a month to rent a server from a company and host our website on it.
I see. Im sorry didnt read all of the posts so i must of skipped the Dedicated server part. $90 for that kind of hosting is probably one of the cheapest you will find.

Level 36
WH40K TD is not that popular, it's glory days are over, it was popular at some point but never insanely popular.

The glory days of Warcraft 3 are also over, too, doesn't mean that it didn't kick ass back in the day :D

Regardless, it was popular enough to get this site going, and it managed to get me here, so it's good enough for me :)

Level 36
well I have already thought about reviving it!

Well that's the thing :D If you really want to get the Hive focused on a project, and get some more traffic and such at that, then either start WH40K TD up again, or start on a new one. You have to be the one to do it though Ralle, because if you get involved, then most the site gets involved :)

I think itm would be really fun to have a giant project like that where most of the staff and such were involved. The combined talents of everyone would make for one hell of a map...

Status
Not open for further replies.