• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Server costs & responsability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Yes, but of course it's nice that it's still there, even if I have to click slightly more to get to it :p Thanks Tonks ;) So I guess my only excuse to whine now is that the front page has it's own locked theme, instead of adjusting itself to whatever theme you were using in the forums... other then that, I like it! The old old sidebar is back, and it's as wtfpwn as ever :)

Level 32
This is getting way, WAY off topic, but I must strongly agree with brad. I think our home page should allow the various styles to be displayed based on a user's preference settings (if it's not TOO difficult to implement.)

The more sidebar contents that are included, the better (also IMO.) The calender is missing, and although who's (presently) online and the new posts are available elsewhere, it's just desirable and handiest to have them up front (once again depending upon how much trouble it is for Ralle to maintain and update.) The continued development and improvement of the front page is going to be something special to watch...GO RALLE...FTH!

Level 36
I don't really see how this is offtopic... the thread is about discussing the future of the website as Ralle says himself. That doesn't necessarily mean what hosting we have, but also the website content, design etc. Regardless, I must agree. Also, with the absense of the top menu bar (the one that appears again when you're browsing the forums) the navigation is even more confusing. I know you wanted to do your own thing seperate from vB when you made the front page, but since the rest of the site follows the uniform vB design and layout, it seems oddly out of place when the front page is different from everything else. Just IMO.

Level 5
As much as i like this website and as much as i want to help and as much as i want to trust ralle i can't.
First of all is very stupid and insulting to write down you must pay for the website not me etc...
Second of all saying to donate every month is also stupid and i would tell everyone not to donate but clikc the ADS, although the ads are stupid those are ads and they give you money. So instead of donating click the ads 12-15 times every week.
Thirdly of all as much as i'd like to believe Ralle he's paying 150$ monthly for a host i can't beacose thats just wayyyyy tooo much money even for a dedicated hosting. Some really great dedicated webhosts are as low as 30$ and offer great packages, the ones that are really great quality and are mostly for LARGE websites are around 80$. This website nor is it big nor is it visited too much, nor does it have lots of scripts and coding and stuff.
So it's really hard to believe that the webhost is costing 150$ and that it is needed. Even a fine shared hosting would do for this website if you ask me, i know a lot of people that have a lot bigger websites than this and are on shared webhost. Further more it's damn better to buy a 300$ P4 machine and make it dedicated host than pay 150$ whatever way it is!

Forth of all i don't care if you (ralle) want to make a profit but not by decieving people by saying you are paying ridiculous amounts of money for the hosting. Tell the truth and let people judge if they want to still donate or click the ADS.
Cheers and no hard feelings i'm only stating my opinion!

Level 32
First, you are welcome to express your opinion.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Second, THW has recently moved to a new server that costs far less.

Last and most importantly, Ralle has been very upfront with the community in regards to the costs. I do not believe that he has deceived anyone (carefully read the news various threads and learn for yourself.) I'm offended that you have insulted the Chieftain after he has done so much for all of us.

Level 19
SlickR,
Fifth of all,
This section doesn't support retard guys as u.
Get away and never come back, You ain't worth to post here.
Return to your corner, you failed becoming populair here!

Seriously, Ralle has to be respected, and everything he posts is true, u liar.
I hope u get banned for this,
In everything we respect and trust Ralle, like u see its work as results.
I even checked the hosting websites of him, and ofcourse he's in the right.

Nothing more to add, cryer.

[I appologise to all others for my bad use of language]

~- Heero

Level 16
In your effort to defend ralle you just made yourself look worse than slickr was, Heero. Thats not very nice to say when he (slickr) has got one point which Im sure some people can relate but havent just spoken out in fear of this thread turning into a flame war. Wont take any part of his other points as I know nothing of the 'web prices', and disragarding his last point (which is surely load of crap) he does backup his points and atleast give an expression that he knows something of the prices, Im refering to his first point. Though put bluntly, I'll have to agree with him. It's not cool to say 'I dont want to pay for this site, since you guys use it, you should pay for it'. Lets hope the flame war can still be avoided. Since brad kept his mouth shut, we have got a chance :).

Level 15
Let's clarify a few things.

Running a site like the Hive is no easy task. The level of popularity means it gets a very steady amount of traffic, which requires a significant amount of server power. Getting a server to handle such levels of traffic is not cheap at all. $30 will NOT get you a fast enough machine to handle it. A shared hosting account,even if it offers huge traffic and space quotas, will NOT handle it. (see: siteground, the previous host and all the 502/503 errors) Nearly ALL shared hosting accounts with huge quotas are heavily oversubscribed and cannot deliver even half of what they promise.

Many of us (and I do speak for them) ask that all the strong and unreasonable complaints kindly stop. If you don't like how things are, either be patient while the situation improves, or try to help out instead of lashing out.

Things will definitely get better, especially if people are not tearing each other down and bashing the site in the process.

Thanks. :smile:

Level 36
Agreed with above. Ralle is absolutely not a liar, and you, slickr, are a bastard for accusing him. Secondly, shared hosting does not work, as said above. Thirdly, Ralle is absolutely NOT lying about the prices he has paid and is paying, as I have checked them out myself.

Since I am looking at webhosting of my own, I can provide a bit of insight here. Shared hosting is no good, Sitegrounds, the previous host for the Hive, was a shared hosting setup, and it couldn't handle the Hive post-merge and broke down and cried 503.

Also, you can absolutely not find a dedicated server for 30 bucks a month, and if you can then it is bound to be the shittiest server on the net, and we'd be much better off with some shared hosting plan.

Ralle is paying 80 dollars a month for the server now, and that is reasonable. There are of course, much better server packages out there, but they are of course far more expensive. Anything less then 80 dollars would not be able to handle or volumes of traffic etc. 150 dollars is nothing, there are server packages out there in excess of 250 dollars a month, and some go beyond that even, for businesses and such.

I have set out a few guidelines for you:
1) Stop accusing our Chieftain of lying.
2) If you don't like it then leave
3) if you don't like it and want something to be done, then help things out
4) if you think Ralle's a liar, then you are the most foolish of all fools.

KTHNXBAI!

Level 18
Actually slickr makes a point. Ralle even though i do like the guy, is wrong in saying the users should have to pay for 90% of the server. I'm sorry but there is enough other wc3 related mod sites that the user base could easily all but abandon the hive.

Donations are fine but he should in no way ever expect donations to pay for more than 10-15% of the server costs.
adds should only pay for about 50% unless its a big site with lots of big name advertisers where you will see positive returns.

It is true that the owner of the website has to shell out some money but that s the burden of being the owner. If I was running a store I wouldn't expect the people providing me with content to pay for the store as well.

Level 15
I partially agree with Werewulf and Sansui: the site is a fansite and Ralle is ultimately responsible for the costs of running the site. No one is obligated to donate.

However, consider this aspect: if Ralle were to decide he could no longer pay for the site and decided to shut it down tomorrow, what would people say? If what you are both saying is true (which it basically is), then no one should be mad, or upset, or surprised in the least if Ralle shuts the site down. Nearly all others (except a few) are free-riding on his generosity, so we shouldn't expect anything in return. Yes, donation is completely voluntary. No one has to donate. But at the same time, no one should take the site for granted.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
hey SlickR
I have thought about how I wrote that thread and I am sorry about it. It wasn't meant to sound like that. I come from Denmark and am 17 years old. I mean, my language isn't as perfect as Wolverabids who is grown-up and all.
About the 145 $. That's what we paid before, at www.servstra.com . The server itself costed 75 $.
server 100$
cpanel 25$
100mbps upload = 10$

I can't remember rest of the stats but it was as high as 145$. You can get my PayPal logs if you want to.

But the new server is with www.layeredtech.com and it costs 82$ a month. Try look it up, it's almost the cheapest package.
Dedicated Hosting at 30 $ a month is a joke.

I guess I was frustrated when saying "PAY MY BILLS, I'M A POOR INDIAN". I have just been so angry with Google Adsense since they were the reason to being able to afford the new server. So I lost my income and that made me scared.

I totally agree with you that you shall not be forced to donate to the site. I mean, do you pay for google to be up? No, ofcourse not. But they are already financed by great services they made themselves. I really want to resay my other words.
"I would be very pleased, if you would help me finance the Hiveworkshop since I cannot afford it for long."

I hope you all understand,

Ralle

Level 36
Of course we understand! We, as a community, just need to come up with alternative methods for paying for the new server, otherwise downgrade again to something that we can afford. Donations can surely help to pay for some things, but certainly not everything. If only Google Adsense wasn't such a noob.... is there no way that we can work things out with them?

Level 5
hey SlickR
I have thought about how I wrote that thread and I am sorry about it. It wasn't meant to sound like that. I come from Denmark and am 17 years old. I mean, my language isn't as perfect as Wolverabids who is grown-up and all.
About the 145 $. That's what we paid before, at www.servstra.com . The server itself costed 75 $.
server 100$
cpanel 25$
100mbps upload = 10$

I can't remember rest of the stats but it was as high as 145$. You can get my PayPal logs if you want to.

But the new server is with www.layeredtech.com and it costs 82$ a month. Try look it up, it's almost the cheapest package.
Dedicated Hosting at 30 $ a month is a joke.

I guess I was frustrated when saying "PAY MY BILLS, I'M A POOR INDIAN". I have just been so angry with Google Adsense since they were the reason to being able to afford the new server. So I lost my income and that made me scared.

I totally agree with you that you shall not be forced to donate to the site. I mean, do you pay for google to be up? No, ofcourse not. But they are already financed by great services they made themselves. I really want to resay my other words.
"I would be very pleased, if you would help me finance the Hiveworkshop since I cannot afford it for long."

I hope you all understand,

Ralle
Thats more like it.
And to all the rest i was not acusing anyone. I was meerly expresing my point of view. I'm glad Ralle explained this seriosly and put links to the webhosts he is/was using.

BTW i do know shared hosting is bad but i do know dedicated webservers that host for 30$.
Anyways i'm glad this is cleared out and i like this bidvertiser ads to bring enough money.
About my statement i was mostly against the way Ralle wrote the news and as some1 said you can never except to gein enough from pay pal.
So continue clicking the ads all.

Status
Not open for further replies.