• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"Service Tempoarily Unavailable"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
After having so many people visiting the Hive the message "Service Tempoarily Unavailable" often occurs. This is because this website somehow overloads the server. I am trying to find a way to solve this problem. I am thinking about buying Dedicated Hosting but that costs 350 $ a month. Which I means I will have to put google ads on the site to get enough money to pay that bill.

If "Service Tempoarily Unavailable" happens. Just wait a minute and press "refresh".

Ralle

Level 36
Damned dedicated hosting is expensive.... you still intend on sticking with Siteground though right? But yeah, good luck getting $350 a month... if you can, by all means go for it, but hey i'm happy with the present site as it is fast and still rarely has problems.

Level 8
how about just adding another server on not a dedicated but a more cheaper one just to handle the mass of users?

Edit: also some things that seem to lessen the server lag...tempory Disabling Sig's avatars, deleting alot those inactive users from wc3sear. maybe make it harder for people to get a account like make them have to do a e-mail varification. also the largest number of users online was 91 on campaigns so yea ether people hate them or something. I also seen alot of users that create accounts but just kinda idle in the forums 24/7. mmm I'm presumed you already purged the database of most the garbage stuff. You could also contact campagins about doing some banners for them if they like idk maybe take some those users off your hands or something like that.

I really rather not see yea have to pay such a high price becuase I know after awhile you would be like F this and not wan't to pay it then my hosted project would be hostless :(.

Last edited:
Level 5
As far as I know, setting up your own server is not too hard. At least not the hardware part, nor the server software configuration part. I say the hardest part is the bandwidth. Not if you're the only one using it, but for a "multi-user site" as big as the hive, I have to recommend some quality hosting. The dedicated server plan sounds great, but unfortunately rather expensive. In the end, I guess it's up to you to decide, Ralle.

Level 15
$350 a month is really expensive for a standard unmanaged server. You can even get managed ones (with CPanel, RAID, managed FTP backup space, dual CPU, 2GB of RAM) for $250 a month or less. :smile:

If you plan on sticking with siteground for a dedicated server, please consider other options instead. Siteground themselves host on dedicated servers rented from www.ev1servers.net. You will pay higher fees going with siteground rather than getting a server from EV1servers directly. In fact, here's the exact dedicated server siteground offers, but it only costs $200 purchased directly from EV1:
http://www.ev1servers.net/Dedicated/Config.aspx?pid=752

You really ought to consider getting a high-bandwidth VPS instead of a full dedicated server.
Maybe one of these:
https://www.rapidvps.com/
http://www.rosehosting.com/virtserv-spec.html

Last edited:
Level 24
ack, i had like..30mins of that white screen thign again..im sure alot of people got it too cuz barely anyone was on...

i..really hope you can get this fixed..cause to me it seems like its gettin worse...

Well it seams to be that it is really bad during the day for me, and then it dosn't happen at all that much after around 6:00. So you just have to go on at a time that everyone else isn't trying to come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.