• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Inactive Users

See question below.

• Yes

Votes: 45 54.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 45.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Should inactive accounts be removed?
You know, the ones with no posts, no rep, and that haven't had activity since Dec 31, 1969 (haven't ever had activity).
They probably entered an invalid e-mail address and are of no use to anyone except to block others from using that name.

Level 9
Hmmmm i don't know why any1 would be bothered... They're not doing anything and i have a strong sispision that they were created by Ralle for fun to get the highest users ever online up...
But its just a hunch :wink:

Level 27
Well, you have to go through a lot of pages before you get to the user your searching for. If someone didn't respond to the e-mail in one week I wouldn't bother to keep that account. I see it more as a waste of space than time, even the very little space that it is. Maybe once a month...

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Well, you have to go through a lot of pages before you get to the user your searching for. If someone didn't respond to the e-mail in one week I wouldn't bother to keep that account. I see it more as a waste of space than time, even the very little space that it is. Maybe once a month...

We have an easy fix for that, use Search Member feature.

Anyway, I still agree with you, unused accounts are of no use. I have an idea, why not deleting users who haven't logged for over a month? You can add an option on the profile, saying something like this:
Away from the Hive?
Yes
No
Users that haven't logged over a month but have Yes in this question, will not be deleted. This, because shit happens, your computer could be ruined or something, or you could spend some really long vacations somewhere, who knows.

Why delete users? What would the site benefit from that and why does it anoy you having alot of registered users?

Having alot of people signed up attracts new people more when they see that the site is popular than if they see that only 1000 or so users are there, then it seems like a small insignificant site that you just pass by and go to the next instead that has a lot of users.

I voted yes, but I meant to put no... I don't think that it really matters whether or not they are active, but it might be misleading eg:

The Hive has 500,000 members! Come join Now!

The [Site that deletes inactive members] has 100,000 members! Come join Now!

Misleading, but still, it is the other people's fault in deleting the members. Besides, that would be a braggative add...

Users that haven't logged over a month but have Yes in this question, will not be deleted. This, because shit happens, your computer could be ruined or something, or you could spend some really long vacations somewhere, who knows.

[Off-Topic]

My friend's catch-phrase... :wink:

Level 27
We have 1 million members! Good luck getting a response from the server!
I don't think new users join based on how many users there are (I didn't).
But if they did:
Site: We have 500,000 users!
Potential user: Ooh! 500,000! Oh, wait there aren't any active users...

Site: We have 100,000 active users.
Potential user: Hey! They're not trying to mislead me! I'll join!

I'm just saying that I would at least delete user with fields like 0, 0, 0, 0, 0...
It's just a thought.

Level 26
We have 1 million members! Good luck getting a response from the server!
I don't think new users join based on how many users there are (I didn't).
But if they did:
Site: We have 500,000 users!
Potential user: Ooh! 500,000! Oh, wait there aren't any active users...

Site: We have 100,000 active users.
Potential user: Hey! They're not trying to mislead me! I'll join!

I'm just saying that I would at least delete user with fields like 0, 0, 0, 0, 0...
It's just a thought.
do people really think that way? because if i had a choice between a site with 500k users and a site with 100k users, "Are they trying to mislead me with inactive users" is not one of the few thoughts i have in my head.

Level 27
But then, you aren't the kind of person to look at the numbers before you join, are you?
I joined because of all the other things on this site, I didn't once care to look at the numbers at all.
It's just a thought poll.

Level 13
I've been away for awhile now (off and on really) and if my account had been deleted... well lets just say I wouldnt bother visiting again. I mean, if you really want to save server space just dont submit crappy maps like "Wintermaul X134 Mega Ultra Platinum 8" and models like "I put the head of a boar on a footman! FOOTBOAR MODEL!!!". Things like that take up serverspace wayyyy more than inactive users and serve absolutely no purpose.

Level 32
Under NO circumstances will any user's account ever be deleted for mere inactivity.

Each person has their own real life to live in addition to his or her participation here at our Hive. The staff will always keep the door open and your place reserved for you!

Level 27
I don't mean people that haven't logged on in awhile, I mean people who never did anything, never validated their email, never PMed, never uploaded a resource, never chatted, etc.. The people that never did anything and never will. It's not about space, it's about someone wanting a name that's taken.

And necroposting?

Level 4
this all deals with preferences. I personally hate "packratting" users who will never come back to this site. They dont really take up room but at the same time my theory is, if we dont' need them why have them? But i wont vote in teh poll either, i agree with werbackIII's post something like that is good because it means that most one time users are deleted and anyone with just inactivity problems is still ensured their accounts.

Level 7
Its a waste of time deleting inactive users, I'm sure the mods and admins have something better to do than delete inactive users anyways.

Level 27
Well one day, when you least expect it, the best modder in the world will come to this site. Unfortunately, his name will be taken by someone who only made the account and did nothing else. Then he will leave this site, never to return.
On that day I'll say, "I told you so!"
I hope your happy.

Unused accounts gives a false image for the site.
THW has over 10.000 users, but just 300 are active.

This is my opinion of what must be done:

For Now:
- Delete ALL acounts that wasnt loged in since 31 December 2006.
I belive that those people dont think about to back.
- Delete all acounts that doesnt loged in at least one time after 14 days of registration. Most of those people can be bots.

Then:
- If an user gets inactive for 30 days, send an email to him/her. if the user dont log in after 7 days, automaticaly delete his acount.

EDIT: Just woundering... why does Darky29 still have the "Respected User" tag? does somebody here still hopes he will log again some day?

Level 32
Well one day, when you least expect it, the best modder in the world will come to this site. Unfortunately, his name will be taken by someone who only made the account and did nothing else. Then he will leave this site, never to return.
On that day I'll say, "I told you so!"
I hope your happy.
Let's hope that such a case never occurs. It seems likely that (for most people, in my opinion at any rate) if they find the site to be of value and have some positive contribution to make, and (SOMEHOW by happenstance) they wish to use a name that is already taken (by a long inactive user) they will be flexible enough to simply add a dot, underscore or some other character in the name to distinguish themselves.

And of course, if a user wants an already used name they need only create an Admin Contact thread to inquire about and discuss the situation. Ralle created that most powerful forum for (among other reasons) exactly such cases: a user who is in distress and needs help from the administration.

Ralle reviews Admin Contact threads on a daily basis and so do I. Each thread is important and is always given due consideration, even if not immediately addressed and / or resolved.

Those most important points aside:
  1. The site needs to keep valid records of all past activity.

2. Existing accounts will NEVER be deleted for mere inactivity. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.