• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Inactive Users

See question below.

• Yes

Votes: 45 54.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 45.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Perhaps if people would promote this website while on B-net we could get more people. However, the problem is not with getting more users but with attracting more map-makers with skills to share with aspiring game-creators here at the Hive.

Level 6
Perhaps if people would promote this website while on B-net we could get more people. However, the problem is not with getting more users but with attracting more map-makers with skills to share with aspiring game-creators here at the Hive.

Well :p
Im here not for mapmakin practice
Just to sit on forum and chat...

Level 16
Yes it would be lovely to have all the 32 920 members active. The hottest topic would be "server too busy". We would all love to visit hive and spend an hour or two together (due the loading times). Happy days :p. Let's send mass pm's and try to get them all active, sounds like a plan? Gogogo

Level 27
cleaning old accounts with 0 posts and no activity in years wouldn't be a problem, but why? Really, its not a problem, so why should there be a solution to it?
Popular opinion.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34862
It was 50-50 for awhile, but shortly before it closed, there were a couple votes for yes.
If I ever make a forum, I'll delete any account that doesn't respond to the validation email within one week.

>cleaning old accounts with 0 posts and no activity in years wouldn't be a problem, but why? Really, its not a problem, so why should there be a solution to it?

The solution is the problem. That problem is resolved by ignoring the primary problem which created a solution. But the primary problem, isn't a problem. :slp:

Many just sign up and get resources, and probably more than half is from wc3search... Some also sign up to ask like one question.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Yay just my thread. I love threads about what I should do and not do :grin:

I still think we should let them stay. Anyway 4000 of 28000 is actually quite impressive. Many websites have so many more inactive people than that.
Anyway. Consider this. The member table contains 28000 people and it occupies 7 megabytes of storage on the 120 Gigs server.
Why even think about wasting time by sorting the users?

Ralle

Level 21
Bwahaha werewulf, thou shalt name my smell by thy word stench and shalt bow down to the lord of wolves, FENRIR.

Never said I was back, just said I was passing by, hehe :D
Anyway I'll maybe do a lil re-introduction thread just for fun (and to stop being off topic here).
And please remember I was not really skilled as a skinner :D

Kaitech[SanD];374460 said:
Members: 32,920, Active Members: 4,474...

Just look at how many inactive accounts that is...

32,920 - 4,474= 28,446 That's kinda bad, no?

I was wondering if there was anything anyone on the site could do about this?

This number does include people from wc3sear.ch, doesnt it? If it does, then thats not suprizing there are so many inactive people...last time I was there, it had...23,000 something registered users I think? Only a decent handful were that active to begin with there...and even if it simply include numbers from this site, it could just be people not caring about the forums, just wanting an account to comment or some such stuff.

Level 27
If you delete an account then don't you lose the posts that person made?
Either way, I don't think we should delete any account that has posts.
But I don't see the benefit in keeping accounts with fake email addresses.

Level 11
Actually im very surprised it's only 4500 inactive... For a site that mods a game that is very old, I'd think at least 3/4 should be inactive. Ofc I dont know what classifies as inactive but if you look at wc3c:

Members: 19,368, Active Members: Only 550 (thank god)
Thats WAY more inactive members than we have...

Level 34
It's no big hassle to re-make an account, it's a hassle to go delete 4000+ accounts. It's just not going to happen.

Level 27
I don't see why some people are completely against it, it's not very important, it's just something to keep things a little cleaner.
There isn't often a concern about the user database being too big and it isn't hard at all to delete empty accounts.
The only concern is that a name would be taken. It's not a big concern, but as a perfectionist, I'd do it.

Level 11
I really, really, REALLY have no idea why this thread is still alive.

Its a useless waste to remove old user accounts. I mean, deleting the ones with a last activity some time in the 1960's which have 0 posts wouldn't hurt anyone, but why? Its not like every name has been taken, like registering a .com domain name. Its just a large pool of members... it doesn't matter, it doesn't hurt anyone, and it doesn't create any kind of problem -- except to those LOOKING for a problem with it. "omg! this number of inactive users is too high!!!"... yeah... sure... whatever. Go debate why DOTA sucks / rocks / whatevers somewhere that isn't anywhere near me, as this comes close to the pointlessness and stupidity of those arguments.

Please, for god sakes people, give up this pointless and stupid debate...

Level 27
Deleting users is not going to happen, the end. Go get your own site to purge Hakeem.
I'll pick the three words I posted that are closest to your post:
I'd do it.
<Insert well deserved flame here>

But seriously, Earth-Fury is right, I made this topic a couple months ago and it was closed for a reason. If you look at the poll on my thread then you'll see that most people would delete empty accounts. Ralle is not one of these people. It's not a debate, the 2 sides are gray and a slightly different shade of gray.

I strongly suggest this be merged with my thread and left closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.