• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ideas for Animation Contest #4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Here's my idea!
1106498~Dragon-Spell-Posters.jpg

Animation Contest #4
Each contestant must create an epic/ultimate spell casting animation for any Warcraft 3 unit/hero that's inside Warcraft 3 MPQ.

Contest Rules And Conditions
  • No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  • Model(s) used must not be altered from the provided models. Bone structure, however, may be changed slightly or in some cases made from scratch when import of the bone structure is not possible for the chosen animation program.
  • Animation(s) must show properly in game without rotation errors or anything to the effect.
  • Animation(s) should have decent timing.
  • Submissions should be uploaded in .mdx format and must use the appropriate in game textures, and include an in game screenshot of the model functioning properly.
  • Submissions must be posted before the deadline.
  • All animations must be made for this competition, no old works allowed.
  • Completed submissions must be physically attached to this thread.

Contest Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 40 reputation points and a special award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting
  • Judges:
    Username 1
    Username 2
  • Judging Criteria:

Criterion
    Description/Point Value

Criterion
    Description/Point Value

Criterion
    Description/Point Value

Criterion
    Description/Point Value
  • X % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • Y % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Contestants

If you would like to enter the contest simply make a post in this thread, stating the information about your entry.

Entry NameContestant Name

Contest Dates And Deadline
  • The contest shall begin on Date and conclude on [rainbow]Date
    Time[/rainbow] (GMT)
? :D

Level 34
One isn't enough. As well, having polls is usually a better way to come up with a new theme.

hmm, SFX could go to a modelling Contest, animation has to do more with cinetics than effects. Plus this leaves aside most users who don't have acces to 3dsmax, by forcing them to add particles blindly(on mdl editors).

I would suggest a typical animation pack instead.

A good idea would be a dancing pack, the animators must select a dummy unit from wc3 and produce different dancing animations based on different styles: Techno, Breakdance, African dance, Salsa, Arabic, among others. The bone structure must be wc3 standard so the animations can be transfered.

why not, a morphing theme, like you start from the tank, and you shape it into an other thank with more animations... but that might be ALOT of modeling instead of animation..

also what you could do, is to create a martial art animations... like 2 kicks needed, 3 hand attacks, 2 jumps...

for example :D

Level 34
Actually you could have a single animation, it would just have to be really well made, and longish. I'd just prefer to have more useful ones.

How about acrobatics as a theme?

The main idea of the animation contest is that it be original and innovative, most ideas here look too simple. Karate-Do and martial arts is one of the few which could actually go into a contest.

Also to most people who like to drop ideas for practical use. Contest not = requests or necessarily need to be useful. They are made for the contestants to try something new and to compete under an original them.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Oh cool, Acrobatics would be nice. Acrobatics + a weapon.

Like, a guy flipping onto his hands and whacking an enemy with a staff in his feet...
Or a guy running around on all fours, then leaping into an enemies' face...
Or nunchucks. Lots of flipping and chucking. :p

nah, NO-IK! kinda unfair for non-Max users. Plus we want true skill. The real skill is shown when you force animators to use FK. I'm looking forward to see this.

Yeah right, in FK at least you can preview the animations in previewer realtime, not like in IK where you can't see anything (meshes floating everywhere +.+ and those texture anomalies in viewport) until you bake and fix all those things to notice you fuxored somwhere and need to redo the IK part which means again fixing that baked result, not to mention that IK animations are often odd in some parts which looks retarded and thats actually good if you pass the baking part where the bones usually move in totally different direction and the last thing, those IK solvers get screwed fast and without option to undo, usually it even crashes.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
IK = Inverse Kinematics
FK = Freakin' Kinematics (??)

I know that one is what Blizzard uses/d, and is really hard to make good walk anims in (or pretty much anything; you have to move each bone individually for each frame or something). Whereas the other (IK, IIRC) is a more natural animating tool, where you move, say, the foot where you want it, and the rest of the leg interpolates where it should go throughout the frame.

Or something. :p

Umm... I'd join, if I had the gumption to upload NeoDex for my 3dsmax9... And even then, I have no idea what I'd do. So never mind. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.