• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #18 - Make him a Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINAL ENTRY

troll.png
FOREST TROLL SHADOW PRIEST - ICON SETS
IconName
doll.png
Voodoo Doll
Control a unit for X second.
staff.png
Replenish Staff
Heal a unit of X amount, also cleanses curses and poisons
toadpoison2.png
Poisonous Dart
Launch poisonous dart. Deals X damage over a period of X seconds.
vodorage.png
Spiritual Rage (Ultimate)
Grant extra damage, attack and movement speed to a unit for X seconds. Target are immune to magic during that time.

-=RESSOURCES PACK=-

Attachments

• Icon_contest18_MrGoblin.psd
    2.5 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Level 10
I was busy quite a long time, I'll try to finish soon my entry.

I've came with Revenant.

ElementalShift.png

I have thought what unit to choose and I wanted to create something unusual and it took some time, but I think I've made a good choice.

Name of Spells:

1. Elemental Shift (Passive) - After a unit gets 4 hits, Revenant can strike randomly with frost, lightning, fire or air element at probability of *(%). If dealt damage by Revenant gets higher than *(%) ... than for some * seconds, his attack speed is increased by *(%) and has a bonus damage of *.

2. Restless Spirit (Active) - When this ability is used, Revenant can become invisible and regenerate his HP points by *%, causing him to be impossible to see until he attacks, casts another spell or the effect of the ability is getting to it's end.

3. Soul Consumption (AOE) - "The Shield of Revenant releases an amount of void energy that was gathered by decades, entrapping the souls of nearby enemies in it's dark mist." While casted, this ability is damaging nearby enemy units by *(%) in radius of *, also these units are cursed, being slowed for * seconds.

4. Undeath Reluctance (Active/Ultimate) - When activated, this ability is absorbing all magical and physical damage that is dealt to Revenant for * seconds. An amount of *% from absorbed damage is transformed into Revenant's own power that infuses his attacks with increased attack speed, with lifesteal of *% and he can deal also bash that can last * seconds. Ability lasts * seconds.

Last edited:
I've been very busy with RL stuff, as well, and I only just realized this contest was even up when I made my first post, haha.

Super early WiP, just to show that I AM working on an entry. The unit I'm working with is the Stormreaver Warlock.

BTNDrainSoul.jpg

I'll do my best to hit the deadline, but an extension would be greatly appreciated, if others want it - my dad is currently hospitalized and so things are a little crazy IRL for me right now.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Sorry to hear about your dad, Warchief; hope things work out for him. Excellent choice for unit->hero, though. : )

I'm with Mr. Goblin; we oughta talk about what to do with insufficient entries. Looking to the past, some have argued that a Contest ends when it ends, entrants be darned... Others have argued that we should keep it going for as long as necessary till we have at least 3 entries (given the 3 tiers of rewards, and the give the Judges a reason to exist ;P).

I'm definitely more of the latter; whether you think the Point of a Contest is about Fun or Competition or Enrichment, no one really benefits from a Contest with insufficient entries. Zero or one or two entries just really doesn't help anyone; in a case like that, sticking to the arbitrary deadlines doesn't even make sense. We're not some government agency trying to fill a quota.

So, though I'm not Hosting this Contest or even competing, I'll put it my $0.02 for having it be extended for As Long As It Takes to get a minimum of 3 entries (barring, of course, an extended period of time with not only no entries, but no one even showing interest/working; if it's dead it's dead).

Level 50
I stated in this thread, polls to determine the theme have obviously become redundant as the size of ''contestant base'' is quite questionable. 16 people voted for this theme to be picked (I didn't vote for it), so where are they now? Obviously many of them are not icon makers and many of them don't want to participate, but then why to have that random sample of community decide the theme instead of doing a group PM with potential contestant to determine theme.

Another question is why are contests, at least some, losing their contestants. Are they less attractive, are awards too boring and always the same, is the dynamic of the contest too boring as well, are themes problematic, is it because there are less users (but even so some contests like techtree managed it) and so on.

More importantly, contests need to be remastered, in my opinion, to become more interesting and refreshed by new ideas of the concept itself. So I think that's topic important enough to be discussed. And note the example of ''out-of-the-box''-ish contest me and IcemanBo held, which was very risky (3 members per team), but it was one of the most successful contests of the arena.

Level 50
Here are abilities' concepts, textual:

Malfunction! Repair! (Autocast)
Goblin abandons the command panel in order to repair the Shredder. Shredder is not able to move while active, but he regains health per every few seconds, taking away from mana.

Heavy Metal Overload (Ultimate)
Shredder gains significant movement speed and deals extra damage, at the expense of his health which he is rapidly losing during the spell. If he dies during the time spell is active he explodes and deals damage to all units in area of effect, destroying nearby trees.

Chainsaw Claw (Passive)
Gains ability to harvest and gains additional damage for every tree that is cut in area of effect.

Ignis ex Machina
Shredder fires flame wave at the targeted area dealing damage to units in that area. Destroys trees.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Hey, that's a pretty good skill set you've got going there (especially the name "Ignis ex Machina"). Reminds me of a similar old idea of mine, the "Goblin Warmech"...

(1 - Hew) Performs a vicious horizontal slice, dealing heavy damage to all enemy units in front of the Warmech. Can also be used to fell trees.
(2 - Stoke Boilers) Greatly increases the Warmech's speed and reaction time. All abilities have a reduced cooldown, and spurts of steam will periodically spurt out, dealing damage to nearby enemy units.
(3 - Polished Shine) Passive - Equips the Warmech with elite armor, which can deflect enemy magic. Reduces the damage taken from spells and Magic attacks.
(U - Metalocalypse) Transforms the Warmech into a juggernaut of destruction. Temporarily incorporating nearby allied mechanical units, the hero gains attributes associated with the units assimilated (armor from tanks, weapons from warriors, etc)

Basically done with the Consumption (renamed from Drain Soul) icon, may touch it up some more later but, for now, I'm moving on to the next.

BTNDrainSoul.jpg

BTNHandofPain.jpg

Just realized that I haven't even outlined the abilities I'm going for, haha.

[Q] - Hand of Pain: Calls forth a cone of dark lightning on a target enemy unit, hitting up to 5 enemy units for 55/100/155 damage each.
[W] - Rain of Chaos: Calls 2/3/4 Lesser Infernals down from the sky, dealing 50 damage and stunning enemy land units for 2 seconds in the landing areas. The Lesser Infernals last 30 seconds.
[E] - Dark Incantation: Forcefully draws out the souls of nearby enemy units in waves. Each wave deals 20/32/45 damage. Lasts for 20 seconds.
[R] - Consumption: Kills a target unit instantly, restoring mana equal to the target's current hit points to the Warlock. Dark Consumption cannot be used on Heroes, or creeps above level 5.

Last edited:
Level 50
I'm definitely more of the latter; whether you think the Point of a Contest is about Fun or Competition or Enrichment, no one really benefits from a Contest with insufficient entries. Zero or one or two entries just really doesn't help anyone; in a case like that, sticking to the arbitrary deadlines doesn't even make sense. We're not some government agency trying to fill a quota.

So, though I'm not Hosting this Contest or even competing, I'll put it my $0.02 for having it be extended for As Long As It Takes to get a minimum of 3 entries (barring, of course, an extended period of time with not only no entries, but no one even showing interest/working; if it's dead it's dead).
Actually, precedent to this happened recently with the 30th modeling contest, with only two entries and no third place award.

But it seems multiple contests at the moment are suffering from lack of participants and I don't think that in such circumstances prolonging the contest is beneficial, the last thing contest needs is to last for months. Three or two contestants, what difference it is after all? Waiting three entries only to be able to award the third place award would not make much sense in my opinion. So, back to my post from before, I think that for the future of contests it is necessary to understand the reasons why people don't seem to be interested in participating and to find solutions. Maybe someone should start a thread on that subject. However considering the steadily decreasing activity and enthusiasm, probably it would be another THW thread, only talks, no changes.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
So much to respond to but so little time... I'll be painfully brief.

I don't think there's necessarily a trend towards less participation; there have always been "slumps" mid-Contest. (And besides, we have you and Warchief WIPing as recently as this last Saturday. Dead? Not really).

I think talk is important, even if that's all that ends up happening. At least talking about it allows the possibility of changing it; not talking leaves us right where we are now.

However, I think these talks are gonna have to include some compromises; it's likely not everyone is gonna get exactly what they want out of this.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Just realized that I haven't even outlined the abilities I'm going for, haha.

[Q] - Hand of Pain: Calls forth a cone of dark lightning on a target enemy unit, hitting up to 5 enemy units for 55/100/155 damage each.
[W] - Rain of Chaos: Calls 2/3/4 Lesser Infernals down from the sky, dealing 50 damage and stunning enemy land units for 2 seconds in the landing areas. The Lesser Infernals last 30 seconds.
[E] - Dark Incantation: Forcefully draws out the souls of nearby enemy units in waves. Each wave deals 20/32/45 damage. Lasts for 20 seconds.
[R] - Consumption: Kills a target unit instantly, restoring mana equal to the target's current hit points to the Warlock. Dark Consumption cannot be used on Heroes, or creeps above level 5.
(Yes I'm 100% aware that for the purposes of this Contest the names/stats/function of the spells themselves is completely arbitrary... But I can't help myself, dangit!)

I like it, I really like it; you've really sold me on a wizened Orcish Warlock ability-set. The names are all perfect & what they do makes sense.

My only two nitpicks would be thus:
- You've got an awful lot of Direct Damage (DD)/Damage-over-Time (DoT) going on with this boy; I mean yeah it makes sense for a WoW-style Warlock, and perhaps in a given faction that's the Role that would need to be filled. I guess I personally like to diversify things a tiny bit more for 'one-off' Heroes like this.
Personally I'd suggest a 'Curse' or two (not a huge fan of "demonology" or summoning Warlocks, personally); something that doesn't necessarily deal Damage.
- I like how you made an Ultimate-version of the Lich's 'Dark Ritual' by having it target & kill enemies (as well as, I guess, friendlies), and "Consumption" is right up there with "Consume Soul" (honestly a toss-up). I'm just not 100% sold on the "Ultimate-ness" of it... And to boot, you have frickin' Rain of Chaos as a standard ability, summoning (with damage and stun) three mini-Infernals. Just honestly seems like a better fit.
Granted, "single-target OHKO spells" exist (Transmute, Charm, Doom), and they can be balanced & made 'Ultimate'. Maybe 'Consumption' could just use a little 'oomph' (e.g. generates a powerful debuff in an AoE around the Consumed unit (i.e. 'aura of fear'; nearby enemies are terrified at seeing one of their own murdered like that)... or perhaps summon a crazy shadow-demon (i.e. from their twisted soul or summat)... etc).

Just some thoughts. Either way, doesn't really matter for your art so carry on! ; )

(Yes I'm 100% aware that for the purposes of this Contest the names/stats/function of the spells themselves is completely arbitrary... But I can't help myself, dangit!)

I like it, I really like it; you've really sold me on a wizened Orcish Warlock ability-set. The names are all perfect & what they do makes sense.

My only two nitpicks would be thus:
- You've got an awful lot of Direct Damage (DD)/Damage-over-Time (DoT) going on with this boy; I mean yeah it makes sense for a WoW-style Warlock, and perhaps in a given faction that's the Role that would need to be filled. I guess I personally like to diversify things a tiny bit more for 'one-off' Heroes like this.
Personally I'd suggest a 'Curse' or two (not a huge fan of "demonology" or summoning Warlocks, personally); something that doesn't necessarily deal Damage.
- I like how you made an Ultimate-version of the Lich's 'Dark Ritual' by having it target & kill enemies (as well as, I guess, friendlies), and "Consumption" is right up there with "Consume Soul" (honestly a toss-up). I'm just not 100% sold on the "Ultimate-ness" of it... And to boot, you have frickin' Rain of Chaos as a standard ability, summoning (with damage and stun) three mini-Infernals. Just honestly seems like a better fit.
Granted, "single-target OHKO spells" exist (Transmute, Charm, Doom), and they can be balanced & made 'Ultimate'. Maybe 'Consumption' could just use a little 'oomph' (e.g. generates a powerful debuff in an AoE around the Consumed unit (i.e. 'aura of fear'; nearby enemies are terrified at seeing one of their own murdered like that)... or perhaps summon a crazy shadow-demon (i.e. from their twisted soul or summat)... etc).

Just some thoughts. Either way, doesn't really matter for your art so carry on! ; )

I appreciate the feedback! To address your nitpicks, though, I will say that this is not a design for a "one-off" hero, haha. This skillset goes beyond the contest.

I am currently working on a campaign in which Gul'dan is a playable hero. Before anyone tries to slap me with the "NO PRIOR WORK ALLOWED" rule, I didn't fully flesh out Gul'dan's skillset until AFTER I joined this contest (you can tell by the fact that I changed the name of some of the abilities as I made the icons, and that my post which has his skillset laid out was edited about 3 times in one night as I played around with ideas) and I DEFINITELY hadn't done any work on any icons before I joined the contest. With that disclaimer out of the way, let me get back on subject.

Gul'dan is not supposed to be diverse, in my campaign. He is, mostly, a pure damage dealer. That being said, when I design heroes for my campaign projects, I don't give them only 4 abilities. I give them 6. QWER + FG, except FG are not hero abilities, they are unit abilities in the same way that Cenarius has cyclone in the campaign. Gul'dan's extra two abilities are as follows:
[F] <Autocast> - Fear: Slows a target enemy unit's attack rate by 40% and movement speed by 30%. Lasts 45 seconds.
[G] - Drain Soul: Absorbs the soul essence of a target enemy unit by taking 30 hit points and mana per three quarters of a second from it and giving them to Gul'dan. Lasts 2 seconds.

So he DOES have a debuff, but his actual hero class is designed around the concept of a purely damage-focused spellcaster who can absolutely devastate entire bases at lvl 10, but burns through his mana incredibly quickly. Consumption may SEEM underwhelming at first glance, but it FEELS much more impactful when you play with the Hero, because he needs both Consumption AND Drain Soul to maintain his mana pool. Without these mana stealing abilities, he can only get off maybe 2-3 spells before having to pull back. He's a glass cannon in an even more literal sense of the term than usual in that he needs to reload after nearly every shot.

And that's exactly what I was going for, because I'm pretty sure no other spellcaster hero in the game has that design, and it is very fitting for the character and the class it is trying to sell to the player. It's thematic. "Be feared or be fuel," as Gul'dan says in the movie.

Rain of Chaos flipped back and forth between being an Ult and not, I'll admit, but I ultimately (no pun intended) decided to keep it a normal ability to differentiate it further from the Dreadlord's Infernal spell as well as to make it sort of harken to the Far Seer's Feral Spirit spell. Note that it says it summons LESSER Infernals. The Lesser Infernal custom units are not nearly as strong as normal ones. They don't deal chaos damage and they aren't immune to magic, their strength lies in how many Gul'dan can summon, especially if he keeps his mana up and manages to cast it more than once.

So yeah, thought you might be interested to see the Hero's FULL design since I know that stuff is like crack to you, Kyrbi0, haha. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the full design, but you should probably move that into private messages so we stay on topic, here.

ON-TOPIC
I apologize for not having any new WiPs for the past few days! Had to visit my dad after he was moved to a care facility out of town the other day, and then yesterday was dominated by a session with my D&D group... Going to hopefully be able to crank out the rest of these between the rest of today + tomorrow, but I would really appreciate it if we could put... Idk... At least 1 extra week of an extension on the table, so I don't have to rush these and put them out looking sloppy. If it can't be done, it can't be done, but I thought I'd ask, at least.

Update: Some actual progress I can show! This particular icon has been giving me a lot of grief, hopefully the others won't be so difficult. I've had to redraw it all over again a couple of times now.

Stupid hands...

BTNHandofPain.jpg

Last edited:
Level 17
Unit: spirit walker

Eye of Ancient Soul
Spirit walker bears the countless soul in his mind, wields the wisdom and knowledge of those soul.
-Passively gain additional stats
IC soul eye wip.JPG IC soul eye.JPG

Summon Animal Spirit Companion
Spirit walker able to summon forth an animal spirit companion from the Emerald Dream.
-Summon random animal spirits
IC Spirit animal wip.JPG IC Spirit animal.jpg

Level 50
Here is my final entry, abilities for goblin shredder.

BTNIgnis.png

Ignis ex Machina

Shredder fires flame wave at the targeted area dealing damage to units in that area. Destroys trees.

ATC........png

Malfunction! Repair!
(Autocast)
Goblin abandons the command panel in order to repair the Shredder. Shredder is not able to move while active, but he regains health per every few seconds, taking away from mana.

PASharvest.png

Chainsaw Claw (Passive)
Gains ability to harvest and gains additional damage for every tree that is cut in area of effect.

BTNoverload.png

Heavy Metal Overload (Ultimate)
Shredder gains significant movement speed and deals extra damage, at the expense of his health which he is rapidly losing during the spell. If he dies during the time spell is active he explodes and deals damage to all units in area of effect, destroying nearby trees.

Level 10
Elemental Shift WIP BTNElementalShiftPresentation.png
Restless Spirit WIP BTNRestlessSpiritPresentation.png
Soul Consumption WIP BTNSoulConsumptionPresentation.png
Undeath Reluctance WIP BTNUndeathReluctancePresentation.png

Sorry for a late reply. WIPS, about to be finished.

I couldn't make my icons as I wanted because of problems that appeared, but... My graphic tablet is not anymore functional, it was hard to work.

Last edited:
Level 50
This is final day of contest, so all those who expressed they want to participate but didn't, well you have until 12 PM GMT today. As agreed with Heinvers, due to him not being active at the moment, I will take care for the poll, so expect it immediately after the contest.

Elemental Shift View attachment 333405
Restless Spirit View attachment 333401
Soul Consumption View attachment 333402
Undeath Reluctance View attachment 333403

Sorry for a late reply.

WIPS, about to be finished. Will edit post to make it look more presentable.

I couldn't make my icons as I wanted because of problems that appeared, but... My graphic tablet is not anymore functional, it was hard to work.
Please post your icons in icon section as well.

Level 10
This is final day of contest, so all those who expressed they want to participate but didn't, well you have until 12 PM GMT today. As agreed with Heinvers, due to him not being active at the moment, I will take care for the poll, so expect it immediately after the contest.

Please post your icons in icon section as well.

Ok, thank you for reminding about this @Murlocologist .

Alright, this my final.

Unit: Chaplain

SetDescription
Purification
Holy light cleanses blighted ground while damaging enemy units, and healing allies within its area of effect for X duration and amount.

Sanctified Enchantment
Removes any damage and armor reduction debuffs, and increases the damage and armor of allied target for X duration.
Divine Clarity
Gives X% chance in which, whenever any ability is cast on the Chaplain, or the Chaplain casts any of his spells, that X amount of his mana will be restored.
Righteous Blessing
Strengthens a target hero increasing their primary attribute by X amount for X duration, if the hero dies while under the effect of the ability they will be instantly revived.

Extra Material
btndivineclarity-png.333500

Attachments

• BTNPurification.png
    BTNPurification.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 2,810
  • BTNSanctifiedEnchantment.png
    BTNSanctifiedEnchantment.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 2,839
  • BTNDivineClarity.png
    BTNDivineClarity.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 2,822
  • BTNRighteousBlessing.png
    BTNRighteousBlessing.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 2,875
  • BTNDivineClarity.png
    BTNDivineClarity.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Level 10
My entry

Unit: Revenant
Spells:
1. Elemental Shift (Passive) PASElementalShiftPresentation.png - After a unit gets 4 hits, Revenant can strike randomly with frost, lightning, fire or air element at probability of *(%). If dealt damage by Revenant gets higher than *(%) ... than for some * seconds, his attack speed is increased by *(%) and has a bonus damage of *.

2. Restless Spirit (Active) BTNRestlessSpirit.png - When this ability is used, Revenant can become invisible and regenerate his HP points by *%,
causing him to be impossible to see until he attacks, casts another spell or the effect of the ability is getting to it's end.

3. Soul Consumption (AOE) BTNSoulConsumption.png - While casted, this ability is damaging nearby enemy units by *(%) in radius of *, also these units are cursed, being slowed for * seconds.

4. Undeath Reluctance (Ultimate) BTNUndeathReluctance.png - When activated, this ability is absorbing all magical and physical damage that is dealt to Revenant for * seconds. An amount of *% from absorbed damage is transformed into Revenant's own power that infuses his attacks with increased attack speed, with lifesteal of *% and he can deal also bash that can last * seconds. Ability lasts * seconds.

WIPs

ElementalShift.png ElementalShift1.png ElementalShift2.png RestlessSpirit.png RestlessSpirit2.png SoulConsumption.png SoulConsumption2.png UndeathReluctance.png UndeathReluctance2.png

Some of them are made in 512x512 size, but I resized them to know how these look in 64x64 and made some changes in this size. As you can see, for the sake of being showed, my work process and to convince that it's my original work, I've resized again 64x64 icons to 512x512.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.