1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Icon Contest #18 - Theme Poll

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by Heinvers, Aug 3, 2019.

?

Which of these themes should be win as the theme for the 18th Icon Contest?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2019.
  1. Goblins vs Gnomes

25.0%
  2. Emerald Nightmare

28.6%
  3. Demonic Summoning

32.1%
  4. There always must be a Lich King

32.1%
  5. Sci-Fi Alternative

28.6%
  6. All about Trolls

21.4%
  7. Anglo-Saxon/Vikings

17.9%
  8. Make him Hero

57.1%
  9. Alchemy Shop

53.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Here are the themes that have been selected to be voted for the upcoming 18th Icon Contest!

~~~

Goblins vs Gnomes - Hearthstone exp inspiration.

Emerald Nightmare - again Xavius needs an army of corrupted folks, nature and so much more

Demonic Summoning - think about Portal Keeper Hazabel's fight in Legion or the Karazhan fight. So many ideas on how to portal to demon realms or summon and army of demons, etc.

There always must be a Lich King - turn one of Warcraft 3 Heroes into new Death Knight.
    Draw new ability icons (4) to suit their new role, but save the idea of the spell itself.
    Hero Example: Paladin (HU) -> Death Knight (UD)
    Icon Example: Ressurection -> Animate Dead

Sci-Fi Alternative - draw 4 futuristic icon versions of Warcraft 3 standard icons

All about Trolls - make troll inspired spell icons or racial passives, etc.

Anglo-Saxon/Vikings - viking chieftains and Anglo-Saxon kings, abilities and everything in between.

Make him Hero - choose any ingame unit and give him hero abilities. There can be a huge space for creative solutions around upgrading some casual unit into a hero with 3 or even 4 abilities.

Alchemy Shop - quest Items for ingredients (like mushrooms and dried bat wings), containers (jeweled phials, skull flasks, jars of eyeballs...) or other test equipment

~~~

> Theme Discussion thread <

The poll lasts 11 days!

>> Contest <<

2. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Voted (thank you for making it multi-vote)

On a side-note, you may want to consider tweaking the write-up for "... Lich King"; in reality, the Death Knight is already a Death-Knight-version of the Paladin (both if you look at them mechanically/thematically & if you dive into the Alpha stuff). Either another example, or clarify the link (IMO).

3. Mister_Haudrauf

Mister_Haudrauf

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Yeah a Human Paladin turning into a Human Death Knight. Basically every race can become a Death Knight even a Murloc. You just have to use your
    [​IMG]
    Imagination.

Edit: Voted. There must always be Gravekeepers. :ogre_hurrhurr:

4. San

San

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    if alchemy doesnt win im going to turn myself into ingredients

5. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
  6. Hemske

Hemske

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Alchemy shop. I love me some tasty ingredients!

7. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
  8. Mad

Mad

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Voted for GvG, Trolls and alchemy shop.
    I'm uncertain if I will participate, but I do enjoy watching what ideas people come up with :)

9. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
  10. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    In my opinion, for the future, discard theme discussions/polls in favor of mod picking the theme himself/ creating group PM with people who could be interested and then deciding the theme. And this suggestion isn't coming out of nowhere as it was consensus of many ML debates about arena if I recall correctly. Much quicker than polls and also in this one a lot of people who never created icon and won't even be interested in taking part voted, dictating the direction of the poll.

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    For the last part of your post: while I might argue that seeing what the modding public at large is interested in seeing can indeed be a positive source of motivation for an artist (even if they themselves wouldn't have picked it)... I think it's still a fair concern.
    However, one does not have to get rid of Polls completely to fix it; one simply must define the terms of the Poll. Like having a line in the first post or Poll title be "only potential participants may vote".

To the first part of your post; that being said, I'm not against doing away with the Polls occasionally. It has pros & cons. I know I myself have certainly Hosted a Contest for which I picked the Theme (without a Poll).

12. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources: