• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #18 - Theme Poll

Which of these themes should be win as the theme for the 18th Icon Contest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the themes that have been selected to be voted for the upcoming 18th Icon Contest!

~~~

Goblins vs Gnomes - Hearthstone exp inspiration.

Emerald Nightmare - again Xavius needs an army of corrupted folks, nature and so much more

Demonic Summoning - think about Portal Keeper Hazabel's fight in Legion or the Karazhan fight. So many ideas on how to portal to demon realms or summon and army of demons, etc.

There always must be a Lich King - turn one of Warcraft 3 Heroes into new Death Knight.
Draw new ability icons (4) to suit their new role, but save the idea of the spell itself.
Hero Example: Paladin (HU) -> Death Knight (UD)
Icon Example: Ressurection -> Animate Dead

Sci-Fi Alternative - draw 4 futuristic icon versions of Warcraft 3 standard icons

All about Trolls - make troll inspired spell icons or racial passives, etc.

Anglo-Saxon/Vikings - viking chieftains and Anglo-Saxon kings, abilities and everything in between.

Make him Hero - choose any ingame unit and give him hero abilities. There can be a huge space for creative solutions around upgrading some casual unit into a hero with 3 or even 4 abilities.

Alchemy Shop - quest Items for ingredients (like mushrooms and dried bat wings), containers (jeweled phials, skull flasks, jars of eyeballs...) or other test equipment

~~~

> Theme Discussion thread <

The poll lasts 11 days!

>> Contest <<

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Voted (thank you for making it multi-vote)

On a side-note, you may want to consider tweaking the write-up for "... Lich King"; in reality, the Death Knight is already a Death-Knight-version of the Paladin (both if you look at them mechanically/thematically & if you dive into the Alpha stuff). Either another example, or clarify the link (IMO).

Level 30
Voted (thank you for making it multi-vote)

On a side-note, you may want to consider tweaking the write-up for "... Lich King"; in reality, the Death Knight is already a Death-Knight-version of the Paladin (both if you look at them mechanically/thematically & if you dive into the Alpha stuff). Either another example, or clarify the link (IMO).
Yeah a Human Paladin turning into a Human Death Knight. Basically every race can become a Death Knight even a Murloc. You just have to use your
19d1f3f14188e39f93d61bfbc42911b6.jpg
Imagination.

Edit: Voted. There must always be Gravekeepers. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 50
In my opinion, for the future, discard theme discussions/polls in favor of mod picking the theme himself/ creating group PM with people who could be interested and then deciding the theme. And this suggestion isn't coming out of nowhere as it was consensus of many ML debates about arena if I recall correctly. Much quicker than polls and also in this one a lot of people who never created icon and won't even be interested in taking part voted, dictating the direction of the poll.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
For the last part of your post: while I might argue that seeing what the modding public at large is interested in seeing can indeed be a positive source of motivation for an artist (even if they themselves wouldn't have picked it)... I think it's still a fair concern.
However, one does not have to get rid of Polls completely to fix it; one simply must define the terms of the Poll. Like having a line in the first post or Poll title be "only potential participants may vote".

To the first part of your post; that being said, I'm not against doing away with the Polls occasionally. It has pros & cons. I know I myself have certainly Hosted a Contest for which I picked the Theme (without a Poll).

Status
Not open for further replies.