1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Icon Contest #18 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by Heinvers, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Hello guys.

The second thread is here to stay.

I was thinking that we could do themes like the following:

Goblins vs Gnomes - Hearthstone exp inspiration

Emerald Nightmare - again Xavius needs an army of corrupted folks, nature and so much more

Demonic Summoning - thing about Portal Keeper Hazabel's fight in Legion or the Karazhan fight. So many ideas on how to portal to demon realms or summon and army of demons, etc.

There always must be a Lich King - turn one of Warcraft 3 Heroes into new Death Knight.
    Draw new ability icons (4) to suit their new role, but save the idea of the spell itself.
    Hero Example: Paladin (HU) -> Death Knight (UD)
    Icon Example: Ressurection -> Animate Dead

Sci-Fi Alternative - draw 4 futuristic icon versions of Warcraft 3 standard icons

'took some ideas from older discussion threads.

Ideas will be added here if you post.

Past contests

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  2. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I would vote for G vs. G. & the Hero Recreation one.

3. BLazeKraze

BLazeKraze

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Modern things icon
    ALL ABOUT TROLLS!
    Nature-related
    Warcraft Character MEME FACE!
    Anglo-Saxon/Vikings

4. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    wellll... you can't tease me like this ( G&G theme) and not expect me to react :D

5. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
  6. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Well, for starters I'd make it 3 abilities + 1 portrait for ''There always must be a Lich King''. That theme seems interesting and engaging enough to attract people and offers a lot of space for creativity I suppose. This theme would probably be my choice in a poll.
    Some other ideas would be:
    Host/assigned mod picks one custom model and every contestant needs to make portrait icon + 3 ability icons for it (or makes a shortlist of custom models from which contestants choose themselves model they want to make icons for)

Sci-fi on paper is very interesting, however I'm not sure if it would attract many contestants.

Unit corresponding icons, themes I had picked back when I hosted 15th and 16th icon contests. Because they are very easy and inviting for anyone with a bit of imagination, since contestants can pick whatever in game unit they want and give it abilities they find fitting.

I don't mind thematically specific contests, however I don't think they are best choice since these contests desperately need more contestants at this moment, not themes which may filter out people. So themes which offer space for every contestant are my suggestion.

7. PeeKay

PeeKay

Icon Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    In my opinion, we can host icon contest with theme "Make him Hero", that mean you can choose any ingame character and give him hero abilities. I don't think we will need unit icon, because there are warcraft 3 icons for units, but there can be a huge space for creative solutions around upgrading some casual unit into a hero with 3 or even 4 abilities.

8. A.R.

A.R.

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Goblins v Gnomes is my favorite in that list, there's a lot of potential there and those two races need more love :)

My suggestion is:

Alchemy Shop - Quest Items for ingredients (like mushrooms and dried bat wings), containers (jeweled phials, skull flasks, jars of eyeballs...) or other test equipment

9. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Make old god related icons.
    That will be awesome and woldshaking contest. Hellyeah, it's one of the best themes I strongly believe.

10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Definitely also in love with "Unit Corresponding Icons" & "Make Him a Hero" icons. The latter sounds strangely familiar... ; )

11. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.