• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Icon Contest #17 - Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
It's been a while since we have one! Gather up and suggest themes!

SUGGESTED THEMES

1. There always must be a Lich King

Turn one of Warcraft 3 Heroes into new Death Knight.
Draw new ability icons (4) to suit their new role, but save the idea of the spell itself.
Hero Example: Paladin (HU) -> Death Knight (UD)
Icon Example: Ressurection -> Animate Dead
2. Item Upgrades

Take 4 ladder/in-game 'item' icons (Circlet of Mobility, Mask of Death etc) and create a much more powerful item, an upgrade of it.
3. Races

Pick a race and create for icons that fits specifically on the chosen race.
4. Recreation of Original

Redraw a set of 4 icons that already exist in War3.
5. Catastrophic Spells

Create icons relating to natural disasters like earthquake, thunderstorm etc.
6. Gore

Create bloody/fleshy icons. More like graphic violent icons.
7. Food & Beverages

You can redraw soda's or any food like bread, pizza etc into a fitting Warcraft 3 icon.​
Nature

Create a set of icons relating to nature.
9. Animals

Draw animal icons fitting to Warcraft 3.
10. Full Equipment Set

Draw 4 legendary equipment items i.e cape, boots, helm and the like.
11. Remastered icons

Pick 4 units in Warcraft 3 that has an ugly 'screenshot' icon or (a) unit(s) that doesn't have (a) corresponding icon(s).
12. Modelling Contest

Create an icon set for an entry at any modelling contest, 1 portrait icon and 3 ability icons.
13. Hive Forum Icons

Create icons for any of the Hive's subforum icon. For example, an icon for the Arena, Site Discussion.
14. Hero's Weapon

Pick 4 heroes and draw their weapons. Examples include, Tyrande's bow, Muradin's hammer, Uther's book, Guldan's hood. etc.​
Gods and Godesses

Create a portrait icon of a God or Goddess and a single ability icon related to the power they have. The God or Goddess can be from WoW lore, mythology or your fantasy - anything goes.​

16. Villagers

Create a portrait & one ability skill for a simple villager character of any race, the villager could have a job as a farmer, bartender, banker.. any kind of village job, and the job should be clear from both portrait and the ability icon.
17. Warcraft 2

Recreate an icon from Warcraft 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: San
Level 22
There always must be the Lich King
Draw new ability icons (4) to suit their new role, but save the idea of the spell itself.

Icon Example:
Ressurection -> Animate Dead
7c9c6ff592138e4364375750008106e0-full.png

Last edited:
Level 10
  • Always must be the Lich King:
Turn one of Warcraft 3 Heroes into new Death Knight. Draw new ability icons (4) to suit their new role.
Icon Example:

Like this a lot! )

My proposals:

Upgrade the Items:

Take for example this icon BTNCircletOfNobility.JPG, redraw it as a new more powerful item, upgrade for original.

---

Icons for Races:
Murlocs, Centaurs etc

Draw 4 icons to be suitable for a proper use for this, specific race.

---

Recreation of Original:

Redraw a set of 4 icons that already exist in War3.

Icon Example:
I'm up for this.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45

Icon Example:
This idea is good, but your example makes me laugh a little... You realize the standard Death Knight is already an "alternate Undead version" of the Paladin. Like, you can see it in the abilities which are all identical/analogs to each other (Holy Light/Death Coil, Divine Shield/Death Pact, Devotion Aura/Unholy Aura, Resurrection/Animate Dead), but they've even said as much in the Beta files. : D

~~~

I love seeing when people make icons for things that don't already exist in Warcraft; it's tough (because the Blizzard artists did a lot), but it's possible. I was reminded of this seeing the BNTBogMonster the other day... But also when I tried to use only in-game icons featuring "Wind" for our "Windlord" entry to the 8th Hero Contest, lol...

Basically, come up with something that Blizzard didn't make icons for (or didn't make more than 1-2 for), and make X # of icons for it! Flesh it out for us modders, and stretch your creativity & ingenuity!

... That or just "remake standard Heroes (in some way) & make icons for that". Always a classic.

Or "make icons to fit (a) custom model(s)", too (ability icons, but maybe also regular icon icons?)

Level 22
This idea is good, but your example makes me laugh a little... You realize the standard Death Knight is already an "alternate Undead version" of the Paladin. Like, you can see it in the abilities which are all identical/analogs to each other (Holy Light/Death Coil, Divine Shield/Death Pact, Devotion Aura/Unholy Aura, Resurrection/Animate Dead), but they've even said as much in the Beta files. : D
...thats why I have named it EXAMPLE what you need to do for other heroes.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
...thats why I have named it EXAMPLE what you need to do for other heroes.
Sure. I guess normally one would've posted an example of a thing that wasn't already a thing. Or said something to the effect of "like how the Death Knight is an alternate version of the Paladin". : )

Either way I think it's a great idea.

*Gore theme - Any shits that looks horrible and disgusting.
*Horror theme - Paranormal set of skills, and anything.
*Gangsta/Mafia - Any stuffs related to gangster lifestyle, you can re-draw a warcraft hero with gangster attire.
*Barbaric theme
*Household items
*FOOODDDDDS and BEVERAGESSSSS!
*Nature/Druids
*Night Elves or Elves in general
*Animal abilities

Full set - Design a legendary set! (Helmet, shoulderpads, boots, chestplate, bracelet, cape, etc.)
Redesign an icon - I don'T have a better name for this but, there's a lot of warcraft3 icons who are ugly screemshots, giving them a proper icon could be a nice touch. Thinking of Granery, obelisk, etc. that or any units who doesn'T have his own icon. Like priest vs Elf engineer, or Sentry vs the messager etc.
Last modeling contest hero icon and skills icons. - these need love, :)

Hive - Redesign some icons we use on the forum that could use more love and appropriate treatment. Thinking of the art section icon for exemple, a rabit makes no sense.
Heroe's weapon = use any heroes and make icons of their weapons. Ex: tyrande's bow, Muradin's hammer, Uther's book, Guldan'S hood. etc.

Level 22
So far I like the idea of turning other existing Heroes into Death "Knights" - though does it really make them a Knight if the Death Knight-ification is done onto the Archmage?

And I like the idea of redesigning a icon that is currently a simple screenshot in game or just poor quality.

I have really done no research on the past contests so I'm not sure what's already been done, but here's my ideas:

Gods and Goddesses
Create a portrait icon of a God or Goddess and a single ability icon related to the power they have. The God or Goddess can be from WoW lore, mythology or your fantasy - anything goes.

Villager Theme
Create a portrait & one ability skill for a simple villager character of any race, the villager could have a job as a farmer, bartender, banker.. any kind of village job, and the job should be clear from both portrait and the ability icon.

Warcraft 2 in Warcraft 3
Recreate a icon from Warcraft 2.

Last edited:
So far I like the idea of turning other existing Heroes into Death "Knights" - though does it really make them a Knight if the Death Knight-ification is done onto the Archmage?
Gods and Goddesses
Create a portrait icon of a God or Goddess and a single ability icon related to the power they have. The God or Goddess can be from WoW lore, mythology or your fantasy - anything goes.

Villager Theme

Warcraft 2 in Warcraft 3
Recreate a icon from Warcraft 2.

Gods and Godesses = could be a fun challenge, we should set a clear mythologie though. like grec mythologie, or egyptian mythologie or norse mythology. if not it's just a fest of various style and ideas.

Villager Theme = could be usefull, but quite boring to do, I don'T expect anything colorfull coming from villagers. Expect perhaps = pick berries. ;D

Warcraf2 in Warcraft3 or what ever. = no to brag, but I've made most of them already, Scars of Conflict pack - check them out. Also, it would be super hard to judge because most people will simply do the same icons in their artstyle.

Lol, the nature theme had been suggested many times (I think almost every time by Blaze xD), but it couldn't collect enough votes.
It has been done before, it was Druidic, I think that's why people don't vote for it much. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.