1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Icon Contest #18 - Make him a Hero

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by Heinvers, Aug 15, 2019.

1. PeeKay

PeeKay

Icon Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    No one WIP so far. Maybe its time to start parcipicating?

2. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    If anyone is still seriously struggling to come up with a Unit to Hero-ize (and especially if they want to enhance the Wc3 Modding scene by complementing an existing custom Unit>>>Hero model), have I got a chart for you:

Modelling Contest #25 - Ascension

3. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'm not quite sure if I'll join.

4. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Contest is about in-game units only and it isn't about reimagining unit's appearance into something very non-related to original just to make them heroic.

5. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    Came from the Techtree Contest to drop by a few suggestions:

- Felguard: Is a nice candidate for this contest. Could be a tank or a fighter.

- Satyr: Could be an agility-based Hero. Anything flashy or sneaky can be used to fashion an icon.

- Unbroken/Faceless: Sure, they're a bit overrated but the spells you can put on them is limitless.

- Revenant: Looks like a tank or a mage hero. Based on what you choose, the icons could be about the shield and mace or frosty spells. Cool helmet too.

- Furbolg: Tough one, but their bites and claws might give you some ideas.

6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    True; and if you read the post I linked carefully, you'd find that's true of that Contest as well, so no problems arise when using it.

Subjective; that's for the Judges to decide. And also false: this Contest is simply "design icons for Hero abilities for a hero-version of an in-game unit". Nothing about that says/implies it can't diverge wildly from the original concept.

In fact I would even submit the Contest does encourage a certain level of divergence; it explicitly says
    Not to mention the Judging Criteria of "Concept" being focused on "originality & uniqueness"

So I see literally no issue.

Even if this Contest had (as I would've wanted, personally) included more about "fitting the character & the game", "being a realistic interpretation of the Unit->Hero thing", I still think many, if not most, of the examples I linked fit well & serve as useful inspiration.

But there's nothing saying you personally have to use them; if you don't like them, feel free to ignore them.

7. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Sorry, I'm not interested in semantics game. I merely quoted your previous post to avoid people being mislead into thinking they can pick unit from the list you posted, as you forgot to mention that making icons for one of those cannot be done for this contest and due to your confusing suggestion (in the context of this contest) for them to pick unit from that list ''if they want to enhance the Wc3 Modding scene by complementing an existing custom Unit>>>Hero model''

8. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The link contains a list of in-game units, matched with custom hero models.

9. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    "Semantics game"? When one has failed to understand the words used such that one cautions against a non-issue, I would argue that is no game.

Anyway, I will gladly individually disabuse anyone of the wrong notions regarding the chart in my link, but I can scarcely believe there will be any confusion.

It's incredibly simple. An Entrant in this Contest chooses an in-game unit (say, the Jungle Troll Witch Doctor), and while they can come up with 4 Hero abilities for their own conception of a "Hero Witch Doctor", they can also complement the Resources of the past by drawing icons for, say, this unit, which is, I'm sure we can all agree, one of many possible interpretations of "Hero Witch Doctor".

And all of that is perfectly within the realm of acceptability for this Contest.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  10. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    bloop

For Forest Troll Shadow Priest

Attached Files:

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
  12. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    FINAL ENTRY

troll.png
    FOREST TROLL SHADOW PRIEST - ICON SETS
    Icon Name
    doll.png Voodoo Doll
    Control a unit for X second.
    staff.png Replenish Staff
    Heal a unit of X amount, also cleanses curses and poisons
    toadpoison2.png Poisonous Dart
    Launch poisonous dart. Deals X damage over a period of X seconds.
    vodorage.png Spiritual Rage (Ultimate)
    Grant extra damage, attack and movement speed to a unit for X seconds. Target are immune to magic during that time.

-=RESSOURCES PACK=-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well that was fast... Nice!

14. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Awesome work, man. Love it. :smile:

15. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    if there's no participation, we should start considering what happens when there's only 1 entry for a contest.

16. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    There will be two entries, at least.

17. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe we can make the contest longer?

18. The Leader

The Leader

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I was busy quite a long time, I'll try to finish soon my entry.

I've came with Revenant.

ElementalShift.png

I have thought what unit to choose and I wanted to create something unusual and it took some time, but I think I've made a good choice.

Name of Spells:

1. Elemental Shift (Passive) - After a unit gets 4 hits, Revenant can strike randomly with frost, lightning, fire or air element at probability of *(%). If dealt damage by Revenant gets higher than *(%) ... than for some * seconds, his attack speed is increased by *(%) and has a bonus damage of *.

2. Restless Spirit (Active) - When this ability is used, Revenant can become invisible and regenerate his HP points by *%, causing him to be impossible to see until he attacks, casts another spell or the effect of the ability is getting to it's end.

3. Soul Consumption (AOE) - "The Shield of Revenant releases an amount of void energy that was gathered by decades, entrapping the souls of nearby enemies in it's dark mist." While casted, this ability is damaging nearby enemy units by *(%) in radius of *, also these units are cursed, being slowed for * seconds.

4. Undeath Reluctance (Active/Ultimate) - When activated, this ability is absorbing all magical and physical damage that is dealt to Revenant for * seconds. An amount of *% from absorbed damage is transformed into Revenant's own power that infuses his attacks with increased attack speed, with lifesteal of *% and he can deal also bash that can last * seconds. Ability lasts * seconds.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  19. The_Warchief

The_Warchief

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I've been very busy with RL stuff, as well, and I only just realized this contest was even up when I made my first post, haha.

Super early WiP, just to show that I AM working on an entry. The unit I'm working with is the Stormreaver Warlock.

BTNDrainSoul.jpg

I'll do my best to hit the deadline, but an extension would be greatly appreciated, if others want it - my dad is currently hospitalized and so things are a little crazy IRL for me right now.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  20. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Sorry to hear about your dad, Warchief; hope things work out for him. Excellent choice for unit->hero, though. : )

I'm with Mr. Goblin; we oughta talk about what to do with insufficient entries. Looking to the past, some have argued that a Contest ends when it ends, entrants be darned... Others have argued that we should keep it going for as long as necessary till we have at least 3 entries (given the 3 tiers of rewards, and the give the Judges a reason to exist ;P).

I'm definitely more of the latter; whether you think the Point of a Contest is about Fun or Competition or Enrichment, no one really benefits from a Contest with insufficient entries. Zero or one or two entries just really doesn't help anyone; in a case like that, sticking to the arbitrary deadlines doesn't even make sense. We're not some government agency trying to fill a quota.

So, though I'm not Hosting this Contest or even competing, I'll put it my $0.02 for having it be extended for As Long As It Takes to get a minimum of 3 entries (barring, of course, an extended period of time with not only no entries, but no one even showing interest/working; if it's dead it's dead).