1. Evolution complete! Make Darwin proud and go vote in the Techtree Contest #12 - Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Icon Contest #17 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate our winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Succumb to the whispers and join our Texturing Contest #29 - Old Gods!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The results for Texturing Contest #28 are out! Step by to congratulate our winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. We've created the Staff Job Openings thread. We're currently in need of icon, video production, and social/multimedia positions to be filled. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. On May 20th a new law about privacy and data processing comes into work in the EU. I am no lawyer and I need help figuring out if we comply and if not, what we must do about it. Please message me if you can provide any assistance. Read more. Ralle
    Dismiss Notice

Icon Contest #17 - Poll

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by ~Nightmare, Jul 19, 2018.

?

Best entry?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2018.
  1. Darkfang

24.1%
  2. Exarch

5.2%
  3. ~Nightmare

32.8%
  4. PrinceYaser

8.6%
  5. Sharkarsh

27.6%
  6. Wildfire

1.7%
  1. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Participant Entry Link to final entry
    @Darkfang [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] #75
    @Exarch [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] #46
    @~Nightmare [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] #77
    @PrinceYaser [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] #74
    @Sharkarsh [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] #65
    @Wildfire [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] #73

[​IMG]
    • Each user can only vote once in the poll.
    • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
    • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
    • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.

[​IMG]

First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
    Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
    Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
    Other Participants and judges: 5 reputation points

[​IMG]

Consistency of the icons in the pack Do four drawn icons compliment each other well? /10
    Blizzard style Is the style similar to standard icons? /10
    Concept How qualitative is the concept, how unexpected and creative is the idea? Originality and uniqueness of icons are judged. How fitting are icons for model/spell? /25
    Technical note Quality of: color, composition, expressiveness, shape, definition, sharpness, clarity, shading, realism, proportions, rendering, details, materials. /55
    /100

[​IMG]
    Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
  3. San

San

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Read the rules, Darkfang.

4. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Good job everyone!

• Darkfang: Ring is very well made. Crown and dagger are the weakest. The whole set lacks abit on the legendary aspect.
    • Exarch: Your WIPS were very promising but with that background the icons are just not clean and are hard to get.
    • Nightmare: Interesting concept. Cloak was better in the first WIP. Crown doesn't look like one, I think this is because it's placed that way in the icon - definitely would work better if it was a bit higher. Amulet doesn't fit the set drawing style at all - I think the very thick lines, compared to the very thin ones used in the other icons, are the reason.
    • PrinceYaser: I like how you added that legendary aspect with the aura. Mace kinda looks like a pizza roll blade - lacks volume work. The armor looks like a bucket. The ring lacks volume too. Even Though, the armor achieve a good volume effect with the intense highlighting and the shadows, your wips are very flat and lack any volume work.
    • Sharkarsg: Very strange WIPS that show very little. However I think your set is the best one. The helm, the boots and the armor could use a bit of more work to make them feel more legendary maybe. The boots are the weakest. My vote goes to you.
    • Wildfire: Your lines are too thin for Warcraft 3 so the art look great but not so much the icons. Also, that ring is as thing as a paper though.

5. pleasancer benediction

pleasancer benediction

Resources:
    Resources:
    @PrinceYaser I vote...wait for it
    YASERRR!!!! YASER FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!

6. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    My vote goes to ~Nightmare. The details look great and the effects are so pleasing to look at, not to mention that it brings the whole set together.

Sharkarsh comes a close second. I really dig the style and the theme but sadly, I can't vote for more than one.

7. Nowow

Nowow

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My vote goes to Exarch. Love the speckled background and the rough choice of color palette, which reminds me of pulp fantasy cover arts. And the set itself really does look legendary. Sadly the details don't translate all that well in icon size, but are still distinct enough for my taste. Very cool.

Honorary mentions go to:
    ~Nightmare for the great concept. I especially like the layered feel of the background, and the crown outline is really well made. The only miss here for me is that the staff icon seems to be too white at the middle, even for a reflecting surface.
    Also to Wildfire for the rugged wildred icons. They really match the concept, and translate very well to icon size. Great stuff.

8. Darkfang

Darkfang

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hmmm what do you mean?

AHHH, sorry, how can I recast my vote?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  9. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Darkfang I will temporarily put an option to change your vote. Let me know when you've re-casted it.

10. Darkfang

Darkfang

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Done, I voted for Yaser

11. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Cool. There will just be a malus towards your overall score at the end.

12. Darkfang

Darkfang

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    a Malus?

13. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You will lose some points. I wasn't sure if this was your first offense or not for voting yourself, so I decided on that.

14. Darkfang

Darkfang

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    meh, I didn't know, I didn't read anything I just voted, first time I participate in anything

15. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's fine. Just be sure to read the rules next time.

16. Exarch

Exarch

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Awesome work everyone, good luck!

17. BLazeKraze

BLazeKraze

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    All I see is red and orange, no offense but I don't feel all the entries as legendary (or maybe I expect too much from the theme). I thought there will be Arturian-like weapons, or something I can't explain.

@Darkfang - Cool! but it looks all like the same, you should zoom it all a lil' bit — the empty spaces disturbed me.

@Exarch - Sorry, but I don't understand what you have drawn.

@~Nightmare - Decent as always, the only problem to your set is the necklace, it's not warcraftish enough.

@PrinceYaser - Maybe improve the shape and shading, I like how you put the color, this is the most warcraftish at all.

@Sharkarsh - The sword breaks the awesomeness of the set :( Sorry.

@Wildfire - Please improve the shadings and highlights, it doesn't look metal to me.

Anyway, I'm struggling who should I vote between ~Nightmare and Sharkash, but I decided to vote ~Nightmare. That's all! :) Goodluck to all. Looking forward to the next contest. I regret for not joining, real life shits screwed me.

18. Pyrogasm

Pyrogasm

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Darkfang Overall I like this set the most! They're crisp, the icons all have a similar look as a set should, and they are well-detailed. They would stand out a bit in the warcraft icon universe, though there are similar icons with particle effects like Potion of Invulnerability.
    @Exarch Crown cape ring sword? I can't really tell what they are as a result of the red fiery overlay. In general the style seems okay but again it's hard to see.
    @~Nightmare Wow, the first two are fantastic! But the last two are kind meh. If you had managed to polish the necklace and crown up as nicely as you did the staff and robe it would have earned my vote. The necklace is just too cartoony (ironically that's more warcraft-y). Keep it up!
    @PrinceYaser I'm with BLazeKraze that these are the most true-to-warcraft icons of the bunch. They look beautiful with great shading, but my critique is that they look the least 'legendary' of all of the entries! The orange glow is perfect but they're not epic looking items. Just my opinion, of course, but that's why Darkfang got my vote over these.
    @Sharkarsh A little too dark makes them hard to really see what you have going on in your icons. That said, I do really appreciate that you're the only one to illustrate a unit wearing your equipment in the icons! Didn't notice they were all items floating against a backdrop until I got to yours, so kudos for that. I think you got the warcraft style pretty well too.
    @Wildfire Something about the way they look is too realistic-ish for wc3. I'm not an artist so I don't have the right words, but they look like they belong in a 2003 dungeon crawler or something. Not quite as crisp as Darkfang and PrinceYaser's. Overall not bad icons, but I think they stick out the most to they eye when I view all the entries together.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  19. AditTechno

AditTechno

Resources:
    Resources:
    Have my vote, I think you have the best one here.
    @Darkfang

20. Darkfang

Darkfang

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources: