• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #17 - Poll

Best entry?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
ic17-png.300316

a3-png.300322

1-png.300321

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.

2-png.300317

First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
Other Participants and judges: 5 reputation points

3-png.300318

Consistency of the icons in the pack
Do four drawn icons compliment each other well?/10

Blizzard style
Is the style similar to standard icons?/10

Concept
How qualitative is the concept, how unexpected and creative is the idea? Originality and uniqueness of icons are judged. How fitting are icons for model/spell?/25

Technical note
Quality of: color, composition, expressiveness, shape, definition, sharpness, clarity, shading, realism, proportions, rendering, details, materials./55

/100

upload_2017-9-4_10-1-48-png.278741

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs.

Last edited:
Level 14
Good job everyone!

• Darkfang: Ring is very well made. Crown and dagger are the weakest. The whole set lacks abit on the legendary aspect.
  • Exarch: Your WIPS were very promising but with that background the icons are just not clean and are hard to get.
  • Nightmare: Interesting concept. Cloak was better in the first WIP. Crown doesn't look like one, I think this is because it's placed that way in the icon - definitely would work better if it was a bit higher. Amulet doesn't fit the set drawing style at all - I think the very thick lines, compared to the very thin ones used in the other icons, are the reason.
  • PrinceYaser: I like how you added that legendary aspect with the aura. Mace kinda looks like a pizza roll blade - lacks volume work. The armor looks like a bucket. The ring lacks volume too. Even Though, the armor achieve a good volume effect with the intense highlighting and the shadows, your wips are very flat and lack any volume work.
  • Sharkarsg: Very strange WIPS that show very little. However I think your set is the best one. The helm, the boots and the armor could use a bit of more work to make them feel more legendary maybe. The boots are the weakest. My vote goes to you.
  • Wildfire: Your lines are too thin for Warcraft 3 so the art look great but not so much the icons. Also, that ring is as thing as a paper though.

Level 12
My vote goes to Exarch. Love the speckled background and the rough choice of color palette, which reminds me of pulp fantasy cover arts. And the set itself really does look legendary. Sadly the details don't translate all that well in icon size, but are still distinct enough for my taste. Very cool.

Honorary mentions go to:
~Nightmare for the great concept. I especially like the layered feel of the background, and the crown outline is really well made. The only miss here for me is that the staff icon seems to be too white at the middle, even for a reflecting surface.
Also to Wildfire for the rugged wildred icons. They really match the concept, and translate very well to icon size. Great stuff.

All I see is red and orange, no offense but I don't feel all the entries as legendary (or maybe I expect too much from the theme). I thought there will be Arturian-like weapons, or something I can't explain.

@Darkfang - Cool! but it looks all like the same, you should zoom it all a lil' bit — the empty spaces disturbed me.

@Exarch - Sorry, but I don't understand what you have drawn.

@~Nightmare - Decent as always, the only problem to your set is the necklace, it's not warcraftish enough.

@PrinceYaser - Maybe improve the shape and shading, I like how you put the color, this is the most warcraftish at all.

@Sharkarsh - The sword breaks the awesomeness of the set :( Sorry.

@Wildfire - Please improve the shadings and highlights, it doesn't look metal to me.

Anyway, I'm struggling who should I vote between ~Nightmare and Sharkash, but I decided to vote ~Nightmare. That's all! :) Goodluck to all. Looking forward to the next contest. I regret for not joining, real life shits screwed me.

Reactions: Moy
Level 39
@DarkfangOverall I like this set the most! They're crisp, the icons all have a similar look as a set should, and they are well-detailed. They would stand out a bit in the warcraft icon universe, though there are similar icons with particle effects like Potion of Invulnerability.
@ExarchCrown cape ring sword? I can't really tell what they are as a result of the red fiery overlay. In general the style seems okay but again it's hard to see.
@~NightmareWow, the first two are fantastic! But the last two are kind meh. If you had managed to polish the necklace and crown up as nicely as you did the staff and robe it would have earned my vote. The necklace is just too cartoony (ironically that's more warcraft-y). Keep it up!
@PrinceYaserI'm with BLazeKraze that these are the most true-to-warcraft icons of the bunch. They look beautiful with great shading, but my critique is that they look the least 'legendary' of all of the entries! The orange glow is perfect but they're not epic looking items. Just my opinion, of course, but that's why Darkfang got my vote over these.
@SharkarshA little too dark makes them hard to really see what you have going on in your icons. That said, I do really appreciate that you're the only one to illustrate a unit wearing your equipment in the icons! Didn't notice they were all items floating against a backdrop until I got to yours, so kudos for that. I think you got the warcraft style pretty well too.
@WildfireSomething about the way they look is too realistic-ish for wc3. I'm not an artist so I don't have the right words, but they look like they belong in a 2003 dungeon crawler or something. Not quite as crisp as Darkfang and PrinceYaser's. Overall not bad icons, but I think they stick out the most to they eye when I view all the entries together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moy
Level 5
@Darkfang - Best combination of artstyle/color scheme here, but there's one minus - your set is just accessories and a dagger. It would've looked better if there was at least a helm or a chestplate.

@Exarch - Your background blurs the items too much. That helm looks like it doesn't really match the proportions. And I wouldn't recommend you putting the blade from this angle. I recognized that it's a blade only after looking at the names on your entry.

@~Nightmare - I like your background color scheme, reminds me of Game of Thrones. The background of the amulet, however, differs from others, as well as the style of the amulet itself. I feel like that cloak could've been better in first variation from WIPs. And that crown does not look like a crown, I'd rather put this on top of my Christmas tree than on my head.

@PrinceYaser - Background is a little bit empty, especially on the ring icon. That mace looks very strange, for me it looks like a cat's paw on a stick. You should've made the gems look brighter and not so perfectly round, they should have crystal form. That chestplate though...

@Sharkarsh - Your icon set looks very cartoon-ish to me. But the idea of drawing a samurai set is pretty good. That boots look much more unpolished compared to other icons.

@Wildfire - Your set lacks brightness, it's very dull and depressing. The horns look a bit strange, more like wing bones of baby dragon. The ring doesn't look like it's made from metal. The necklace does not match with the helm, it looks like an orcish necklace, when the helm looks like a human helm.

So, I've commented on every icon set, and here's my top 3:
1. Darkfang
2. ~Nightmare
3. Sharkarsh

So, my vote goes to @Darkfang.

Last edited:
Level 5
That's because it's not a morningstar like you're thinking of, it's really more of a scepter with an outward facing set of spikes arranged around a central gem. The spikes are asymmetrical and the perspective is a bit wonky but I think it looks how it was supposed to look.
I actually was thinking about a scepter-like weapon, not a morningstar. These little spikes and that round gem just make this one look cute to me.

@Darkfang - Best combination of artstyle/color scheme here, but there's one minus - your set is just accessories and a dagger. It would've looked better if there was at least a helm or a chestplate.

@Exarch - Your background blurs the items too much. That helm looks like it doesn't really match the proportions. And I wouldn't recommend you putting the blade from this angle. I recognized that it's a blade only after looking at the names on your entry.

@~Nightmare - I like your background color scheme, reminds me of Game of Thrones. The background of the amulet, however, differs from others, as well as the style of the amulet itself. I feel like that cloak could've been better in first variation from WIPs. And that crown does not look like a crown, I'd rather put this on top of my Christmas tree than on my head.

@PrinceYaser - Background is a little bit empty, especially on the ring icon. That mace looks very strange, for me it looks like a cat's paw on a stick. You should've made the gems look brighter and not so perfectly round, they should have crystal form. That chestplate though...

@Sharkarsh - Your icon set looks very cartoon-ish to me. But the idea of drawing a samurai set is pretty good. That boots look much more unpolished compared to other icons.

@Wildfire - Your set lacks brightness, it's very dull and depressing. The horns look a bit strange, more like wing bones of baby dragon. The ring doesn't look like it's made from metal. The necklace does not match with the helm, it looks like an orcish necklace, when the helm looks like a human helm.

So, I've commented on every icon set, and here's my top 3:
1. Darkfang
2. ~Nightmare
3. Sharkarsh

So, my vote goes to @Darkfang.

The Crown is a helm, in terms of equipment, it is more like a mage/warlock/priest set

Status
Not open for further replies.