• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #12 Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll suggest race sigils or weapon shields (Orc, Night Elf, Human etc.)

Example:
DJclericsshield.jpg

My suggestion would be something about the resource bar, creating various resource icons such as; ore, gold, steel, minerals, water, earth, dust, ashes, crust, rock...
This could open many brand new ideas involving resources and how they are being presented in-game, that could mean that you can create a custom resource bar using triggers(multi-boards).

So basically creating every icon in a manner of natural "resources" and man-made. :)

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Hmm, been so many awesome icons being produced lately its hard to come up with a theme.. lets brainstorm. And, also looking at the recent themes used some that have not been used yet.

-Traps item theme, such as like various trap abilities on heroes.. or items

-Doodad theme, covers everything nature.. trees, bushes, animals, hillsides, weather..

-Aura theme, types of auras giving a selected hero powers, ice power, fire power.. dark power.. exc.. any types really.

-Camouflage theme, types of icon representing being invisible or in hiding.. or types of icons stating a hero is being tracked by a hero like an indicator.

-Ore, gold, cooper? iron? minerals.. as said above.. would be a great one..

Cant think of anymore at the moment just some suggestions.

-Holidays: with the holiday's coming up, this could be useful for any themed mapmakers out there

-Unit Specific: Some War3 icons show the unit in someway or form using the ability in the icon; (berserk, mirror image, heal, life drain, pulverize, reincarnation, etc.) make icons for other units that represent them in the icon using an ability

-professions: for those RPG makers out there, make icons that represent the various professions that you can find in most MMORPGs (gemcrafting, leatherworking, forging, mining, harvesting, butchering, etc.)

-Period: make icons that would look as if they came from a different period in history (western, stone age, bronze age, Mongolian)

-Peon's need a raise: make icons that revolve around the peon, peasant, acolyte, or wisp (what icons would they have if they revolted, started a revolution, or became heros themselves?)
the last one is kind of a joke

Here's a little list of the themes so far:
Themes
-Magic/Spells
-Elements/Elemental Items
-Resources
-Armor Set
-Potions/Elixirs
-Race Sigils
-Traps
-Doodads (cool, but no one uses icons for doodads, because they are doodads...)
-Auras
-Camouflage (Doesn't give enough freedom)
-Futuristic Upgrades
-Holidays (Umbrellas and sun lotions aren't exactly my kind of thing)
-Unit Specific Abilities
-Professions
-Different Age Icons
-Heroic Workers
-Unit Replacements
-Hero Contest Abilities (Haven't we done this already?)
-Animals (Rawr!)
-Gender swap
-Ability Recreation
Bold - Themes that have been voted for
Underlined - Themes that I find fitting.

Last edited:
Level 25
Spells on different units.
Example 1: Taunt has an icon for the Mountain Giant, and another for the Panda.
Example 2: War Stomp has a hoof icon for TC, a sea giant foot for the sea giant, and a different one still for the hydra.
We could use a random combination generator to assign icons if people can't decide on which to do.

Multiboard/interface icons.
To indicate things like kills/lives/assists/resources/flags/etc. If it's strictly multiboard-based, it has the added advantage that icons don't have to be very detailed (since they're smaller in game)

Attack/armour types.
Either replace the existing ones, or create your own damage and armour types. For example, elemental damage/armour types (fire/lightning/frost/nature/etc) have been popular in many maps, but they usually just change the borders of existing icons.

Level 25
Nice Ideas So Far...Here's Mine:
Work, Work-Maybe something about working of the six workers of Warcraft 3. Maybe a peasant repairing a building, an acolyte summoning, or maybe upgrades for them and many more.
Frost, Ice & Cold-Hmm...An Icon with an Icy border? Maybe a Cold-Themed one. An Icon that have something to do with Frost, Ice and Cold.
Glow-A Glowey One! A sword with a strong glow, or a lightsaber! Or maybe a star or wait a m-Crystals!!!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Aw man. Usually I try and find ways to encourage Contests to have themes that will aid me as a modder... But I just can't decide. So many good themes.

I'd love to see "Armor/Weapon Upgrade" again, as well as Hero stuff & "Re-Imagining" stuff. But honestly, I'm just excited. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.