• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #7 - Attribute icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

phoenix%20trial.png
number.png
7.png

140223-albums1517-picture33246.jpg

Attribute icons
Each contestant's aim is to create a set of 3 matching attribute icons

These attribute sets can be the classic/basic Agility, Strength and Intelligence attributes.
It can even be more specific attributes. I'll use a weapon/firearm attribute for example, Firepower, Accuracy and Handling.
It will be a huge advantage for you if you can identify 3 distinct attributes. For example, choosing Agility, Speed and Acceleration might not be such a good idea depending on your ability to represent these attributes clearly and distinctively.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Active and disabled versions of all icons are required.
  • No plain screenshots (or shallowly modified) icons are permitted.
  • The icons must be made specifically for the contest. No previous works are allowed.
  • Blizzard icon naming conventions must be followed: BTNAttack*.blp etc.
  • Works in progress (WIPs) of the icons are encouraged as they keep the contest active.
  • The icons must be physically attached to a post when complete. (.blp files only!)
  • An in-game screenshot must be included with all submissions.
  • Judges may not participate in the contest.
  • No irrelevant, non-constructive or off-topic posts will be tolerated in this thread.
  • It is strongly advised that you keep your original large image files to prove your authenticity if the need arise to do so.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and a special award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

• Winner will be decided by a public poll and judge/s

judges.png
    • Devine
    • SuPa-
  • Judging Criteria
    • Creativity 20%
      The icons' originality and uniqueness are vitally important.
    • Theme 20%
      Your icons should represent the aspects of your chosen theme. Variety between your icons is an important condition.
    • Blizzard Feeling 20%
      Icons should be executed in such a manner that they can be implemented in a Warcraft map, compliment other Blizzard icons and replace the existing ones.
    • Technical Note 40%
      The quality of the icons is the most important thing (throwing a lot of elements in a 64x64 image will usually look crowded).
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 28 July 2010 and conclude on 18 August 2010 GMT. That is total of 3 weeks. There will absolutely be NO EXTENSIONS whatsoever.

entries.png

Last edited:
Level 25
And you think i dont know what im doing? Wow way to judge someone by how long they've been on hive.

And that is a good thing also.

Only well known and respected members of the community should be judging that rules out unfair judging and gives a more professional look to the the whole judging.

In this kind of contest a person with a fine knowledge of textures and art is required and sadly until proven otherwise you don't fill in the required criteria.

And you think i dont know what im doing? Wow way to judge someone by how long they've been on hive.

yes. i must because being a judge is a huge responsibility. they must possess an icon making skill that is above par than everyone/most people because they must be able to analyse and criticise EVERYTHING. "lol awesome 100010101010/5" is not an analysis of anything. and since you are a complete unknown, we cannot take the risk of you being a complete idiot when it comes to judging. i am not saying you are a idiot, i am saying that i cannot take that chance for the sake of everyone else.

[K40$]-Spectre;1659111 said:
, I agree with this. The funny thing is you see this kind of things in live many times, e.g. school teachers predict that a student gets a low mark, the student gets a 9 (atlas this wasn't me :/), while another "good" student gets a 4. What I'm trying to say is, that you can't always predict what people will upload as their entry; it could be what you would expect from someone, it could be below average or it could be above average.

we are talking about choosing judges, not about allowing entries in or not. nobody said ANYTHING about being not allowed from contests because they are "crap". if someone wants to enter, they can enter as long as they are not banned from contests. get your stories straight and take your grievances about the modern education system and prejudices against students somewhere else.

[K40$]-Spectre;1659131 said:
, I'm not an icon maker :p so I won't enter this contest ;)

contests are good experiences as well as the competitive atmosphere pushing you to do your best. you can always enter this one for fun and practise your skills for the next one

Is Insanity considered an attribute?

go for it. its really your idea and judges can decide for themselves if it is appropriate or not. i guess you can have a level of insanity as a stat so maybe.

Level 17
we are talking about choosing judges, not about allowing entries in or not. nobody said ANYTHING about being not allowed from contests because they are "crap". if someone wants to enter, they can enter as long as they are not banned from contests. get your stories straight and take your grievances about the modern education system and prejudices against students somewhere else.
, I missed his comment about he wanting to be a judge. Grievances xD, it was just a comparison lad ;).

Level 13
The names is not what matters :D, it's the icons and how they represents the names!

I'm going to use:

Strength - (represented by the color red) Strength determines ones physical abilities, Toughness, how they fight in melee combat and how strong they are.
Skill - (represented by the color yellow) Skill determines ones reflexes, accuracy, speed and damage in ranged combat.
WillPower - (represented by the color blue) WillPower determines ones skill in magic, Increases Mana Pool and Mana regen and Damage with magic.

These are used in the game Fable if you've heard of that!

I'm giving the attribute icons color (not too much color though) since i want it to be clear what your main attribute is. Red, Yellow and Blue represents each of the three attributes. It gets booring if all have same color also (according to me).

That's how far i've got... Tell me what you think please :)

Last edited:
The names is not what matters :D, it's the icons and how they represents the names!

I'm going to use:

Strength - (represented by the color red) Strength determines ones physical abilities, Toughness, how they fight in melee combat and how strong they are.
Skill - (represented by the color yellow) Skill determines ones reflexes, accuracy, speed and damage in ranged combat.
WillPower - (represented by the color blue) WillPower determines ones skill in magic, Increases Mana Pool and Mana regen and Damage with magic.

These are used in the game Fable if you've heard of that!

I'm giving the attribute icons color (not too much color though) since i want it to be clear what your main attribute is. Red, Yellow and Blue represents each of the three attributes. It gets booring if all have same color also (according to me).

That's how far i've got... Tell me what you think please :)

i know Fable (i think)
but anyway... i'm using my attributes like this...:
Power - (red Color) - used for power and melee damage and of corse.
Energy - (green color) - used for speed and what so ever.
and Knowledge - (Teal Coloer) used for spell power and mana

Level 25
that book brain icon will only work our for me if the other 2 icons have the same book but with different colors and leg/muscle instead of the brain
we want icons that rhyme :p
always look back at the classical Blizzard icons and you'll see what I mean
all three complete each other and they make some sort of a serie

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Here's a list of Attributes if anyone needs an idea.

*1 Eternal
*2 Holiness
*3 Unchanging
*4 Impassable
*5 Infinite
*6 All-powerful
*7 Everywhere-present
*8 All-wise
*9 All-knowing
*10 Simple
*11 Self-existent
*12 Self-sufficient
*13 Immaterial
*14 Good
*15 Love
*16 Gracious
*17 Merciful
*18 Just
*19 Sovereign
*20 Freedom
*21 Jealousy
*22 Resources
*23 See also
*24 External links
*25 Connector
*26 Charmer
*27 Giver
*28 Caregiver
*29 Optimist
*30 Truth teller
*31 Judge
*32 Motivator
*33 Entrepreneur
*34 Expert
*35 Supportive
*36 Likeable
*37 Connected
*38 Colaborative
*39 Positive
*40 Giving

Level 25
oh sh-! this might not end up well D:
why not keep it simple? why always complicate stuff?
3 Golden icons (or red/green/blue) representing strength/agility/intelligence is that hard?
and if you guys want something unique try replacing the original ones with similar ones like Power/reflex/intuition that wont actually change much but make you look cool ;) and might get you more votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.