• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to create new unit using existing textures

Level 13
How to create new unit using existing textures
By Love Seeker

About:
This tutorial will explain you how to make new units that have same model as original but with different texture! They do not require any custom texture and look nice (well, this depends on you :p)

Requirements:
Softwares:

1. Magos' Model Editor
  2. MDX Pather
Knowledge:
  1. Well, at the moment, you should only know how to import models into the world editor and that's all.

Let's get started!
Berserk Troll Axe Thrower
This unit will cover all units of this tutorial. Any units below this unit will follow the same step with paths only being difference.

Exporting the model

Step 1 - Open Magos' Model Editor and go to Windows->MPQ Browser
tutorial1-png.297484

Step 2 - Once you get to MPQ Browser, go to File and select the MPQ you are going to export model from (the MPQ you will extract varies with unit), but in this unit I'll be opeing war3.mpq
tutorial1a-png.297485

Step 3 - When MPQ is opened, go to Units\Creeps\ForestTroll. Well, you will see the two .mdx files; one for model file and the other portrait.
tutorial2-png.297486

Right-click on ForestTroll.mdx file and click Export. You will be prompted to choose directory to export, I usually export them in the new folder. Do the same for portrait file..
tutorial3-png.297487

Now you have just exported the unit's model!

Changing the texture

Step 4
- Open MDX Pather, and open the exported ForestTroll.mdx file (or whatever name you gave it).

Step 5 - After opening the file you will see "Units\Creeps\ForestTroll\ForestTroll.blp". Click it so it will appear in the empty box above it and we can edit the texture path.
tutorial4-png.297488

Step 6 - We will be changing the forest troll texture to berserker one. So change "Units\Creeps\ForestTroll\ForestTroll.blp" to "Units\Orc\Headhunter\BeserkHeadhunter.blp". Do the same for portrait file, too.
tutorial5-png.297489

Final Step - Open Magos' Model Editor and from there, open your "texture-changed" model and see if it works. If you get the unit model like me, congrats you have just finished Berserker Troll Axe Thrower(or name of your choice)! Import them into your map and enjoy!
tutorial6-png.297490

AS I MENTIONED ABOVE, THE UNITS BELOW THIS TEXT WILL HAVE THE SAME STEPS TO DO, THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS MODEL PATHS TO FIND, TEXTURES TO CHANGE IN MDX PATHER. SO I'LL BE PROVIDING MODEL PATHS, CHANGE WHICH TEXTURE TO WHICH TEXTURE AND THE UNIT'S SCREENSHOT IN MAGOS'.

TROLL SPEAR THROWER (4 Versions)
A short note on these models: These spear throwers require alternate tag(don't know what I should say so let's say tag) to function correctly..

Forest Troll Version
Which MPQ : war3x.mpq
Model Path : units\orc\headhunter\headhunter_v1.mdx and its portrait file
Change texture from : units\orc\headhunter\beserkheadhunter.blp
To : units\orc\headhunter\foresttroll.blp
tutorial7-png.297491

Forest Troll Trapper Version
To : units\creeps\foresttrolltrapper\foresttrolltrapper.blp
tutorial7a-png.297492

Ice Troll Version
To : units\creeps\icetroll\icetroll.blp
tutorial7b-png.297493

Dark Troll Version
To : units\creeps\darktroll\darktroll.blp
tutorial7c-png.297494

ORC AXE THROWER

Which MPQ : war3.mpq
Model Path : units\demon\ChaosOrcRange\ChaosOrcRange.mdx and its portrait file
Change texture from : units\demon\ChaosOrcRange\ChaosAxeThrower.blp
To : units\orc\grunt\grunt.blp
tutorial8-png.297495

LIVING HUNTRESS STATUE

Model Path : units\NightElf\Huntress\Huntress.mdx and its portrait file
Change texture from : Textures\Sentinel.blp
To : Doodads\Ashenvale\Props\SentinelStatue\AshenStatueSmall.blp
tutorial9-png.297496

UNDERGROUND ACOLYTE

Model Path : units\Undead\Acolyte\Acolyte.mdx and its portrait file
Change texture from : Textures\Acolyte.blp
To : Units\Other\DalaranReject\DalaranRejectAcolyte.blp
tutorial10-png.297497

Well, that's list of models as possible as I can present to you. I hope you get the same model as mine and enjoy making them. Also feel free to feedback, ask questions without hesitate. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Level 14
As seen in the world editor.
e:did not knew the orthographic error I made sorry.
The problem is maybe it is too much fast animated (it looks like if it were pulsating 5 times a second)

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_061114_232055_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_061114_232055_01.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 549
This tutorial will really benefit from screenshots of the final results. If I were new to modding, I wouldn't know what this tutorial does or is used for.

As such, you should probably organize your tutorial. Start off with an introduction stating precisely what the tutorial's purpose is, and then go through the steps in detail. If you explain the process once in detail, you won't have to repeat yourself! And screenshots always help users follow along. Always assume that the user is unfamiliar with the program. If you simply say "extract the model", there is a chance that the user will be lost and confused. However, if you say "go to File -> Save As, and save the model", then the user has a better idea of what to do. Similarly, they might not know how to get a preexisting model opened in magos' model editor. Sometimes you can mention that the tutorial requires "some knowledge of X program", but it isn't the best habit since it casts off new modders (who are more likely to be the ones reading your tutorial).

This has potential to be a neat little trick, and it covers some solid concepts to know such as changing textures used and using ingame textures to your advantage, but it needs work before it can be approved. :)

P.S. Try to avoid polls in tutorials if you can.

Level 13
Love the new format and the screenshots, they look fucking awesome. Thanks so much for updating it.

Approved!
Thank you sir! It took me 3 years to take those screenies (meh, just kidding :p)
E: Sir PnF, if possible, can you please change the thread name according to haeder? Thanks :)
E2: Found it but where can i see edit history? I am not in touch with new Hive

Last edited: