• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive's Simple Edit Resources Thread

Level 14
I was content with an ok look from the point of view of the default camera and as soon as that was achieved i touched it no more. The intended use was as a portrait from that camera angle and nothing else.
Of course if you want different camera angles the pupils need to be adjusted quite a bit, just as you point out. This characters suffers from strabism if you watch it from the front, you're right. The pupils aren't even round because they need to be on an oblique plane to appear correctly from the point of view of the portrait camera.
I understand that you would consider this more useful if you could freely set the angle of the portrait camera without it getting ugly, if i'm not misunderstanding.
It can be done without a doubt and I certainly will now that you ask, but it was not my original intent.
So much for my excuses. I'll be updating the post with more accurately made pupils that maintain a decent look from all directions at my earliest possibility.

Level 31
Screenshot_2.jpg Screenshot_1.jpg Hello guys, i need help with this model, can someone remove cape,glow,sword,and glow in eyes from this model , and add an animation of the Stand Victory that is paused

Attachments

• Durahan (1).zip
    59 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Level 48
@Cuore - Right, to be frank I did not check it in-game, but merely in Magos. If they appear fine in-game, that's more than enough. Your technique is actually more sensible, and accurate to the way Blizzard handles things - most of the portraits featuring pupils have them look a little bit messed up from angles other than the intended one. If it looks good in-game, don't bother making changes! Although I still think maybe enlarging the pupils slightly might be a harmless improvement.

Level 14
Lol i already made them XD it's been super quick now you can change the camera without the guy's eyes becoming superweird. Just check back in 2 mins or so.

Slight announcement: Models updated now. Applied changes to the original post.

Slighter programmatic announcement II: Priest, Sorceress, Elven Footman, Elven Archer and etc are on their way in the next future. All depends on the amount of available time.

Last edited:
Level 14
Eye detail for elven units' portraits

A little more detail to the eyes of the elven units portraits thanks to extremely simple edits.
Instructions: Download a portrait, set its import path and enjoy. HE means High elf, BE means blood elf.
Attached testmaps have the right path set up for one of two races:
- high elf: high elf testmap
- blood elf: blood elf testmap

Screenshot

(Name)

SorceressNew.png Catturii.JPG Catturaaa.JPGArchor.pngCatturaIII.JPGSwordsman.pngCatturaIV.png
files attached below the post

New pupils for elves

Description: same as other elven portrait modifications by me. Adding well-defined pupils and suitable glow to high- and blood- elven versions of the vanilla units
Resource Type: model
Filesize: identical to vanilla
Credits: (Credits to Cuore??? rly? nah)
Path: no custom textures needed

Note: for Kael'thas please refer to the post: Hive's Simple Edit Resources Thread
NoteII: for a high elven peasant portrait please refer to the work of @ILH you can find at: Hive's Simple Edit Resources Thread
Note III: for living Sylvanas, an edit I made previously adds better detail overall, so I recommend using that instead of making small upgrades to the vanilla Sylvanas's portrait. You can find the suggested portrait models here: Simple variations on Sylvanas
NoteIV: [warning] the high elven dragonhawk rider portrait will probably not be able to be applied to the corresponding unit, because the original dragonhawk for the high elves has a built-in portrait camera. [NoteIV Errata corrige]: this should be no problem, see the correction in @Himperion intervention below (Hive's Simple Edit Resources Thread)

Updatelist
2017.07.27:
  • [addition] now Archer added to the bunch of improved portraits.
  • [update] added the proverbial elven eyebrows to the sorceress portraits.
  • [update] added elven eyebrows to the dragonhawk rider portraits too.
  • [addition] added priest portraits with eyebrows. Pupils will be considered in the future, for now I like them better without.
  • [addition] added swordsman portraits.
  • [addition] added villager portraits.
2017.07.30:
  • [update] added elf ears and eyeglow to the villager portraits.
2017.07.31:
  • [addition] added a High elf testmap and a blood elf testmap with portraits already imported to the proper paths, for ease of use.
see also
Here I list some high/blood elven models from the resource database, whose portraits I consider of particularly high quality, their authors are especially praiseworthy in my opinion, and as far as elven portraits go these works should be imitated by future models.

Attachments

• BloodElfSpellThief_PortraitBE.mdx
    53.4 KB · Views: 88
  • BloodElfSpellThief_PortraitHE.mdx
    53.7 KB · Views: 88
  • HighElfArcher_PortraitBE.mdx
    103.1 KB · Views: 92
  • HighElfArcher_PortraitHE.mdx
    103.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Sorceress_PortraitBE.mdx
    69.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Sorceress_PortraitHE.mdx
    69.8 KB · Views: 73
  • BloodElfDragonHawk_PortraitBE.mdx
    25.7 KB · Views: 90
  • BloodElfDragonHawk_PortraitHE.mdx
    25.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Priest_portraitHE.mdx
    51.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Priest_V1_portraitBE.mdx
    51.1 KB · Views: 87
  • TheCaptain_PortraitBE.mdx
    39.4 KB · Views: 80
  • TheCaptain_PortraitHE.mdx
    39 KB · Views: 75
  • ElfVillagerWoman_PortraitBE.mdx
    24.4 KB · Views: 116
  • ElfVillagerWoman_PortraitHE.mdx
    25 KB · Views: 71
  • HighElfPortraits.w3x
    220.3 KB · Views: 151
  • BloodElfPortraits.w3x
    220.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Just a random texture changing attempt. Might be useful.

Phoenix Guardian

Screenshot

Phoenix Guardian

Description: Elite troop of Phoenix Flames. They will (hopefully) make an appearance at Darkness Returns campaign.
Resource Type: Model [Re-Texture]
Filesize: 260 KB
Credits: [Mandator] Blizzard Entertainment, [Optional] Daffa the Mage

[By Deolrin and Kyrbi0]
6d4632c5b6.png

Attachments

• PhoenixGuardian.zip
    108.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Just a random texture changing attempt. Might be useful.

Phoenix Guardian

Screenshot

Phoenix Guardian

Description: Elite troop of Phoenix Flames. They will (hopefully) make an appearance at Darkness Returns campaign.
Resource Type: Model [Re-Texture]
Filesize: 260 KB
Credits: [Mandator] Blizzard Entertainment, [Optional] Daffa the Mage

No Screenshot
What unit did you retexture (with what texture)?

Level 27

(Name)

Screenshot

Silvermoon Sorceress

Description: A little re-skin/work of the normal RoC Sorceress the portrait head come from the TFT version without the weird area on the mouth. I was thinking into getting a cape with the phoenix simbol but my skin request never gets attention. On the good side, there are three options, Blond, Brown, Black Haired, i suppose you can spawn different versions to make a city look lively or for an easter egg on your barracks.
Resource Type: Model
Filesize: 145Kb per model
Credits: Me
Path:

full

NoteIV: [warning] the high elven dragonhawk rider portrait will probably not be able to be applied to the corresponding unit, because the original dragonhawk for the high elves has a built-in portrait camera.

About this; the Orc Blademaster has a inner portrait animation, but it shows the external Portrait model. From this you can assume that the game has a priority for Portrait.MDX before searching for the model inner Portrait animations.

Attachments

• SilvermoonSorceress.mdx
    145.1 KB · Views: 209
  • SilvermoonSorceressV.2.mdx
    145.4 KB · Views: 174
  • SilvermoonSorceressV.3.mdx
    145.4 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Level 14
Eye detail for night elven portraits
<we're wasting time here>

Screenshot

(Name)

MaievEyes.JPGMaievEyesSilver.JPG

Name

Description: self-understandable
Filesize: similar to vanilla portraits
Credits: (Credits to @Cuore ???)
Path: ()

TEMP: as more are made and the existing ones are improved, this post will be progressively updated.

Attachments

• HeroWarden_PortraitEYES.mdx
    45.4 KB · Views: 104
  • HeroWarden_PortraitEYESsilver.mdx
    45.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Level 30
Eye detail for night elven portraits
<we're wasting time here>

Screenshot

(Name)

Name

Description: self-understandable
Filesize: similar to vanilla portraits
Credits: (Credits to @Cuore ???)
Path: ()

TEMP: as more are made and the existing ones are improved, this post will be progressively updated.

Is it only me or are her eyes looking like fel eyes? And i don't speak about the Pupil.

Level 14
You find me in agreement with you. That's some strange choice of the developers of The Frozen Throne. Being curious myself I googled this and there'su people on battlenet endlessly discussing why wardens have this eye color with no explanation.

Although green is the way blizard went with maiev's eyes, I'll add a silver-eyed variant next.

Level 14
I'm pretty sure this has little relationship to why the devs of frozen throne made maiev's eyes green. I'd say they wanted to have the eyes stand out in the dark of her helmet and standard silver eyes would have been too bland. Why green and not other colors, I have no idea beyond maybe someone thought green would be a color reminiscent of nature. Bad thinking because it screams "fel eyes!"

Wouldn't be the first bad thought in blizz history.

Last edited:
Level 8
You find me in agreement with you. That's some strange choice of the developers of The Frozen Throne. Being curious myself I googled this and there'su people on battlenet endlessly discussing why wardens have this eye color with no explanation.

Although green is the way blizard went with maiev's eyes, I'll add a silver-eyed variant next.

Wardens gurded fel creatures for over ten thousand years as Blood elven kids they were touched by the fel magic and now have fel eyes.
That's all ...

Level 30
Wardens gurded fel creatures for over ten thousand years as Blood elven kids they were touched by the fel magic and now have fel eyes.
That's all ...

The Wardens we speak of are Night Elves. They are using nature magic which makes the eyes glow pure white.
Blood Elves are the ones that absorb fel energies. They aren't Wardens.

Level 8
The Wardens we speak of are Night Elves. They are using nature magic which makes the eyes glow pure white.
Blood Elves are the ones that absorb fel energies. They aren't Wardens.

Did you corretly read my message ?
Blood elven kids never absorbed Fel magic, but they have green eyes, Why ?
because they stayed too much in contact of it.

Same thing for wardens, they gurded monsters and Night elven traitors for TEN THOUSAND YEARS ! They was "touched" by fel magic.
Other night elves have pure white eyes because they do not use magic, Highborn have purple/Ambre eyes.

Level 11
@Cuore - The linked skin has nice pupil-ed NE eyes

(NE Sentry Goddess (Mom hair)

Screenshot

Sentry Goddess

Description: Night Elf Goddess (Runner with Enchantress head- some additional edits- i forgot) This took a hella long time- I don't know why I was even doing it because you didn't even really say anything. I guess you could have wanted a BE version but I don't know why I assumed nightelf. The amazing texture is absolutely not mine but I had to map it to the enchantress's head and spent a ridiculous time on the shading of her upper lip. There are a few things I should fix (blizzard's horrible wrap job on the inside right hand) but I'm lazy so w/e
Resource Type: Model
Credits: @67chrome for amazing skin (I did change a little things around how the body was mapped (made less kinky (ie. censored)) lol so I hope people don't mind. I didn't really edit the staff which is mythic's. Both have been inactive for over a year so...
@Rence Cristoff came up with the concept here. Oh yeah and you can credit me too.
Path: must download 67chrome's NightElfSentinel.blp and remove the wc3imported/ (whatever) when imported.

3.jpg

Attachments

• momhair.mdx
    128.3 KB · Views: 115
Level 14
@Alethos is the best ❤, I love all about this model of yours, from its hairtip to the name choice.
+rep as soon as I can --> Hive has put my +rep button for you on cooldown but I'm spamming my way through
_________
@N'zoth believe it or not, I didn't know the term. All it took me was 0.5 seconds on google to be left traumatized. My goodness those are horrifying.

Level 6
@Alethos is the best ❤, I love all about this model of yours, from its hairtip to the name choice.
+rep as soon as I can --> Hive has put my +rep button for you on cooldown but I'm spamming my way through
_________
@N'zoth believe it or not, I didn't know the term. All it took me was 0.5 seconds on google to be left traumatized. My goodness those are horrifying.
Truly they are and perhaps some point in time, someone would even put his interests in making them.

Level 28
So you want a complete black banshee (skin and cloth) or do you want only her clothes to be black? The rune should be on the forehead or over the whole face? It'll also be helpful if you specify exactly what rune you have in mind, so it won't be necessary to re-draw in case it isn't what you had in mind.

Level 8
So you want a complete black banshee (skin and cloth) or do you want only her clothes to be black? The rune should be on the forehead or over the whole face? It'll also be helpful if you specify exactly what rune you have in mind, so it won't be necessary to re-draw in case it isn't what you had in mind.

• The complet model must be black, clothes and skin.
  • The eyes must be glowing red.
  • The rune? Doesn't matter how it looks... I just want it to look like ... Fractures. Glowing fracture.
  • The rune must like the face is fracturing.
  • I will also need a variationof this model without the rune.
  • The mouth must still visible, if you can ever add some ... Knife looking teeth.
Any other questions?

Level 28
Alright that's enough info. What I got:

screen.png

The fracture/rune thing in the face proved to be a difficult task since it's mirrored, this is what I could come up with. The skin requires the edited model because some particles and materials had to be changed. There is also an even darker skin in case this one is too bright. Filepath is Textures\banshee.blp

Attachments

• banshee.blp
    26.8 KB · Views: 88
  • BansheeEdit.mdx
    161.9 KB · Views: 88
  • BansheeEdit_Portrait.mdx
    34.8 KB · Views: 87
  • bansheeDarker.blp
    18.6 KB · Views: 82
Level 8
It's better than the model i'm using in my Campaign right now ... But there's a little details I would have liked you to put on.
The hair, there's no space btw hair it is just like flying paper. Can you fix it ?

I really appreciate the rune and the eyes exactly how I imaginated it.
The neck could use some light, just reverse what you have in mind" Light become shadow shadow become light." Btw, everything else is perfect.

If you are going to edit the neck and the Anything else ... tell me.
Until that time, I will use this model.

Thank you very much.

EDIT ; After i've seen it in game the only problem is the hair, everything else is good.

Last edited:
Level 31
Hello Guys, can someone please help me, with this model, i need ears to be removed(blue zone) and to add a banner on shield(green zone)
texture of banner is in archive as well as original texture of the model.
Screenshot_1.jpg
so i need to get something like this
Bolton-shields-Official-1140x641.jpg

Attachments

• Bolton Unit.rar
    307.4 KB · Views: 48
Level 10
Hello,
I did some simple edits on eubz's RoyalGuard model
Pretty much making it a militia looking swordsman, might be useful for someone.

However, it is totally eubz's model, just with some slight edits from me, so I'm not sure if I can share it without his approval, and don't really know the last time he was online.