• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive - Code News

Status
Not open for further replies.
code-news-png.262837

Hello folks, again some hive news from our code sections - Part 2. So here we go:

150926-gif.262830
235220-gif.262833
TriggerHappy | Quilnez

Dynamic Graphical User Interface
Long time ago there was a good approach for making dynamic graphicsl interfaces on wc3.net, click me.
But it was not perfect, and could not succeed to be used by multiple players properly.

TriggerHappy, who works currently on his MMO Project, used the old knowledge as reference and created a new and stronger system for creating dynamic interfaces in a MUI and issueless way. His approach seems to work very good and seems to be stable. A new inventory and equipment system was born: Inventory & Equipment UI System v1.3.0

Also Quilnez, who's perma working on [Role Playing Game] - Garden's Tale, saw a good chance to create dynamic graphics and so he tried to modularize it to a general Panel System, which you can use now to create your own custom systems using the tequinique.

The usage of these systems is nothing for beginners, but we still can hope to see their usage in one or the other map.

AGD, a known JASS fighter, attacks the section with his muldidimensional array library. In contrast to already made approaches he used the strength of the already approved and standard library [Snippet] New Table . So he combined the already existing power of Table with some new syntax and wrappers, and ended up in having a very elegant system for infinite (as much you want) nested arrays, in still a very clean and readable syntax, which is in the end still pretty efficient. Not too many coders will ever use n-d arrays, but this is definitly worth to be mentioned, and can ease your life in the case of cases.

It was there for some time already, but some months ago there still were some bugs TriggerHappy had to fight with - the sync library. It definitly needs some attention again as all errors seem to be gone, and it reached a stable and even better form than it already was. The sync library is used to sync async values for all players. That means we can work with local-only functions, for example a player's cam, and still can enjoy multiplayer maps at same time. An other, but very big point is a load system. Usually the player's have or - individual lode codes, or have local data somewhere on their pc which saved their map progress. When loading this local data it must be ensured that all players who are currently playing the map do also get this loaded information, and that's what this system does, it takes local data, and makes it global. Overall an extremly important system.

251505-png.262834
252488-jpg.262836
Jampion | Fruit Forest

Forum Acitivity
Jampion and Fruit Forest are two very useful members these days who show their activity especialy in the help forums World Editor Help Zone and Triggers & Scripts. Both are well known in these forums for being very helpful and even invest much time in coding solutions on their own, that others can use as reference. I think it's Fruit Forest who loves to speed code spells in GUI format, and shares reference spells in always a minimum amount of time. I hope that we can see these two avatars also in further months, and that they get some good recoginition.

The hive sent two new fighters in the Spells Section. Quilnez, who started wc3 coding on hive at approximatly the same time I started, too, at year 2013, has done a lot of impressive submissions and projects over the years. If you didn't know him yet, you definitly should check his profile out, I can guarantee that you will find something interesting for you.
Also Wietlol isn't a new name at all to us, and also he has submitted own systems and often participates in planty of jass and system discussions. His self-confidence in discussions is one characteristic that everyone should know who talked to him for some longer. :p

It's not much I can personaly I tell you about it at the moment, but leandropt, well known for the warcraft memory hack access, is now seemingly working on a new compiler to allow bytecode instructions and to use the full power of the JASS Virtuel Machine. I'm personaly unsure if this is a good step, because such coding gets less and less beginner friendly, but for those hackers it's probably just an other interesting journey. And I enjoy following their acitivities and always have an eye on their impressive work. If you're interested in it as well, you should definitly check out his thread.

In the end a little note in my own name. I started to work on a JASS Class project, and hope that people use the chance to work together for a good learning atmosphere. The linked thread above is outdated, but stay tuned, I hope to get some things ready soon, and then we can also come in contact together to submit new and more JASS missions.

@TriggerHappy @Quilnez @AGD @Jampion @Fruit Forest @Wietlol @leandrotp

Attachments

• 150926.gif
    150926.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 275
  • 231514.png
    231514.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 232469 (1).png
    232469 (1).png
    13.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 235220.gif
    235220.gif
    176.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 251505.png
    251505.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 251569.jpg
    251569.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 252488.jpg
    252488.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 294
  • Code News.png
    Code News.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 286
    19.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

This is a nice read accompanied by pleasant formatting,
I'm still for the collaboration with other sections with these news batches (as in, not having only code news).

UI stuff is always intriguing, I hope we get full view port game world render in an upcoming patch to have the old UI fully replaced. And the bytecode fiddling has potential. Sync is an amazing utility.

On the topic of help forum, Stack Overflow - kind of 'upvote answers, highest upvoted/marked solution being positioned higher', 'mark post as solution (by asker)' and 'comment on a particular answer without bloating/derailing thread' would be good. Then when creating a new question, it'd show up list of 'questions that may already have your answer':
upload_2017-3-16_20-17-39.png

This would promote more thorough and in-depth answers. I see a lot of answers in SO being very high effort and I think it's because they know their answer has longevity, as in not only helping the creator of that specific thread but also those who get redirected from aforementioned list and search engine results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 32
Awesome spotlight.

Though, weren't you going to wait for JASS Class to post news? Also, what about MindWorX's JNGP? I think it would be good to wait to include the newly finished JASS Class plan / course in this. You can always save the content here and post it when it's ready. And when you do, you can make sure JASS Class is at the front and center top and what not.

I hope we get full view port game world render
Yeh I think the RenderEdge project needs some attention, too, but I don't think people can test it yet. Hope, too, to see some stuff there at a time.
I'm still for the collaboration with other sections with these news batches
Yes, it was my idea, but instead now of always waiting and discussing with others, I just thought to made for our stuff alone.^^
@Guys from other sections feel talked to, and do also create such news! Or if you read this we indeed could colaborate, and we can just PM together to combine our work.

Yeh the Stack Overflow system is good, but idk if we can integrate something similar easily in our forums, idk.

@StoPCampinGn00b this hasn't primaly to do with JASS Class. For me the code news is some general info about code related things, and I don't know much what I can say about MindWorX new sharpcraft editor, I think we can do it later some better, when it's a bit more finished.

Those 2 guys really show good acitivity last weeks and months which did somehow come into my attention, especialy because I didn't see too much of them before. Probably you're right that it's a bit personal, too, and for example Dr Super Good (and also some others) are also pretty active the help forums (over years) but I hope people won't get angry because of this. It's just a positive mentioning. : )

"I wish to see more of this kinda stuff regardless"

Yeh me, too, honestly, and like Jondrean I somehow would like to see some acitivity news from other sections, as I'm not so following them too much.

But great guys, that you enjoy such things, too.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 34
I disagree with this news content. In my opinion: It should've been more focused on the resource, not the author. It should describe things more objectively, not narratively. I mean things like "resource a was made after blablalba...." better be "resource a is useful for blablabla.... it features blablabla...".

I suggest to keep mentioning people name at the minimum, mentioning "resource a by author a" is enough. That way the news will hold more informative values, than advertising values. And it will be more read worthy, looks more official, etc etc.

Talking about information, personally I prefer "articles" of certain resource more than these kind of news, just like Archian's spotlight.

Oh, and don't forget about Dungeon Generator & Stamp by Zweibelchen. It's a bit old but it's one hell of a system and obviously worth mentioning.

Last edited:
It's not meant to be official and very objective. I make it very personal, as I think it's just boring to read pure information. Those who really are extremly interested in it, check out the sections them selves anyways.

Also I don't think resource is the only point to focus on. The people are also worth to be mentioned in case they do good work, it's meant to be some general info about the code sections, not only on resource.

Oh, and don't forget about Dungeon Generator & Stamp by Zweibelchen. It's a bit old but it's one hell of a system and obviously worth mentioning.
There are many things that can be mentioned. Sure it's maybe cool, but I personaly did not test it or don't know what to talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.