• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Garden's Tale

What kind of atmosphere do you prefer?

• Crowded-realistic atmosphere (a lot of doodads and details)

• Clean-cartoonish atmosphere (minimal doodads and details)

• Medium-semi realistic atmosphere

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
ss-jpg.260276
Follow our development progress at ModDB (link below):

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
The farming part, yes. Though there will be more animals like goat and horses (more than one, still being thought). But likely, less crops and plants, due to resource limit. Also there will be some new sub activities like animal hunting, sailing, etc. More social contents like crime, etc. There are a lot more things being planned yet kinda hard to explain here. :)
I personally love this kind of game, sort of addicting. That's why I'm trying to create my version. I hope it's going to turns out well.

I see. Not really my cup of tea, but looks great. One thing thing I noticed was how planting stuff depends on the facing angle of you character? Isn't mouse-tracking possible in wc3? If so, you'd probably be better off using that instead, though I have no idea how easy/hard something like that would be.

Level 9
I always wanted create the map where you can survive as realistic as possible like doing whatever you want farming fishing hunting... I will watch this project ! Good Luck ! Just one question is it will be possible to play online with other people ?

Level 14
this is very interesting for me to see how your approaches are!

Actually I am working on a very similar map, which is based on harvest moon as well and then features a lot of minigames, temples and other RPG stuff.

I hope, your project is going to develop well! The light switches and that jumping feature are pretty genious, hats off! :)

I am developping my map as a 4 player map, which is blessing or curse in the same time.
I think you should really consider this question as soon as possible, because it took a long time for me to change the concept of this map.
It even crashed the complete developpment and it has gathered dust for around 5 years ... So yeah, just wanted to share this experience.

If you need some input about minigames like cooking contests or crazy artillery-assisted snowboard maps, I am happy to help you out with ideas (if I find the time). I really hope, your project will be going fine!

ps: dont forget a fairy in a fountain ;)

Kazeon

Level 33
This looks pretty good!
Could use a little more environmental detail, but it's still wip, keep it up

Thanks! And yes, only the house area that has been tweaked.

Any chance of some screenshots showing the environments? A video is nice too, but screenshots are better for demonstrating the terrain and all that.

I will. Later when there are enough contents to show.

this is very interesting for me to see how your approaches are!

Actually I am working on a very similar map, which is based on harvest moon as well and then features a lot of minigames, temples and other RPG stuff.

I hope, your project is going to develop well! The light switches and that jumping feature are pretty genious, hats off! :)

I am developping my map as a 4 player map, which is blessing or curse in the same time.
I think you should really consider this question as soon as possible, because it took a long time for me to change the concept of this map.
It even crashed the complete developpment and it has gathered dust for around 5 years ... So yeah, just wanted to share this experience.

If you need some input about minigames like cooking contests or crazy artillery-assisted snowboard maps, I am happy to help you out with ideas (if I find the time). I really hope, your project will be going fine!

ps: dont forget a fairy in a fountain ;)

In order to create multiplayer map you have to be very used to create multi-instanceable systems. Then any map genre will be very possible to you. Maybe you can take part in the spell and jass section to improve your coding ability. #promotingthedeadsection :goblin_yeah:

And thanks for the kind words and your feedbacks!

Level 14
Maybe you can take part in the spell and jass section to improve your coding ability. #promotingthedeadsection :goblin_yeah:

Sry, I did not really get, what you meant by that. If you meant by this, that I could contribute to the forum's script database, I have to say, that this is a very nice compliment of yours, but I am by far not good enough to really contribute to ground-breaking systems unfortunately. I try to contribute to the hive's community as best as I can though :thumbs_up:

What I wanted to point out, was, that the decision to make a map a multiplayer map not only affects the coding - moreover this also affects a lot more aspects of the map. You have to rethink quests, the story, the terraining, I mean almost everything has to be adapted.

The most annoying thing to change in this case, is the terrain, if you ask me. Especially if you add a lot of details like you are certainly going to in your map. That's why I wanted to encourage you to make that decision as soon as possible.

Level 14
Hey Quillnez, I love how this evolves.

this game has its completely special flavour to it and I think it will become great! I also love the 2D Art a lot.

I think it is quite cool, that you base planting plants on the harvest moon style planting mechanics with that grid. At least looks like that to me... (?)

and direct in-room visibility, very first to been seen in the Warcraft III universe

I am sorry, but this is not really true, isnt it? There has been some maps even on the hive, where people used invisible roofs to have a similar effect.

Level 32
How about a video peeps? :D

Really cool stuff!

Guys, I have been designing some characters. Every character will use it's own model. And I've decided to use ripped models from chaosrealm. I know it will make the map can't be approved in the map section, I'm prepared for that. But I wonder, is it still appropriate to share the development progress here?

I've considered that using blocky female models will not be a win as well. It's still better to use ripped models even tho it costs a lot.
After some of the staff talking to Blizzard and going over fair use laws, we've decided that rips from other games will be allowed in the map sections with proper crediting. There's just been delays in actually changing written rules, but they should be updated soon.

Kazeon

Level 33
I'm gonna cut that "non-violence" thing from the map description. Since I'm adding animal-hunting minigame to the map.
Anyway, currently here are the list of planned mini-games to be added:
- Fight tournament (Karate or something)
- Dojo training (Learn and improve multiple combat skills to win the tourney)
- Fishing
- Sailing
- Ring Out (Winter only)
- Hunting
- Race (running)
- Mining

Last edited:
Level 14
looks good, your game has an anime/japan-like touch as the original harvest moon series does. the terrain looks quite realistic, all in all very nice :)

Ring-out sounds quite similiar to the fighting tournament though ...

Level 14
Sorry, let me rephrase.

So, the way you place buildings, street lamps and all that looks quite realistic, because there is these garden fences in between properties and all that, which is a good thing.

The choice of models and textures looks kind of cartoon-ish to me, which I like as well.

So from my point of view, you do everything completely right at the moment to reach your goal. :)

what exactly do you mean by "terain variation". Do you mean only tyles or variation in all aspects?

Level 14
well... that you'd have try out, I went through your vid again and I would not say it is too many tiles. If you change tiles during winter (as I do), then you could certainly reduce the variations even more because there is much more natural variation, if not, I would say, it is pretty ok atm...

Just another note: I suggest to use custom pathing blockers or bigger ones to keep the amount of destructables lower than by placing the basic little ones...

Kazeon

Level 33
well... that you'd have try out, I went through your vid again and I would not say it is too many tiles. If you change tiles during winter (as I do), then you could certainly reduce the variations even more because there is much more natural variation, if not, I would say, it is pretty ok atm...

Just another note: I suggest to use custom pathing blockers or bigger ones to keep the amount of destructables lower than by placing the basic little ones...
I'm not using destructibles at all. As they are quite costy.

Kazeon

Level 33
Game Contents are updated. I would love to hear some opinions!

I'm adding the characters (townies) to the thread right now.

EDIT:
Done!
Anyway. Those are all subjects to possible changes.
We are trying hard to find the most fitting model as possible. Those were ripped from different games so they may have different art styles (took from chaosrealm). Some models also have multiple glitches atm. We really need more competent modelers to fix these issues.

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
Hello guys! So, I was got inspired by TriggerHappy's MMO project. I created launcher and auto-updating program for this map as well! And I will use sharpcraft too since I think I can use some advantages out of it. I'm not afraid anymore to use it since the map is single player and the program will install Sharpcraft automatically for you.

More or less it looks like this:

EDIT:
Thanks to MPQMaster, I can easily re-organize all imported files in the map. My next agenda is to move all those files to local folder. The program will automatically download those files into your Warcraft III folder. So you don't need to download bulky map file everytime I update the map!
I know the files will be scattered around your Warcraft folder and it will make it looks messy. But I will add uninstall feature to delete those files automatically. Or maybe simply archive all of those files when the map is not played.

Attachments

• asd.jpg
    asd.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
Patch Update v1.7 - 02/Oct/2016:
Map:
- Added simple activity for Nessa

Updater:
- Now able to update game data per version

Notes:
We need your helps to test the activity system. We have added a very robust security measure for the system but we want to make sure it's at its best. You can find her in the building next to dojo, it's her home. If you find a way to break her activity sequence, please let us know at: [Role Playing Game] - ★ Garden's Tale ★

Activity info:
- She goes to dojo at 9:00 AM.
- She goes back home at 15:00 PM.
- At home she only wanders around the living room.
- At dojo she also only wanders around.
- You can speed up/down the game by typing any number. Only use 0.01-100.

Dojo
dojo-jpg.248889

Nessa's house
villagerhouse1-jpg.248896

Click update button on setting tab to apply the update. I'm really hoping someone is willing to help this time. It's always nicer to fix all possible bugs before the system becomes bigger/more complex.

Best regards,

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
asd-jpg.249789

Patch Update v1.9 - 05/Oct/2016:
Map:
- New custom HD tile pack
- Added joystick control
- Added ENB filter

Updater:
- Now able to update modules per version

Notes:
To get the joystick working, download and install "SlimDX runtime .NET 4.0" here: SlimDX Download Page (January 2012)

Requires Warcraft 3 patch 1.27

Attachments

• asd.jpg
    asd.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
13-jpg.249939
Patch Update v0.8 - 08/Oct/2016:
Launcher:
- Fixed bug on server status update error message

Plugin:
- Now joystick plugin dispose objects properly

Map:
- Improved area around the lumberjack's house
- Added hotspring site
- Added 3 camera modes for joystick
- Removed annoying wisp icon
- Improved skybox to fit the day night cycle
- Improved fog colors to fit the day night cycle
- Now can detect plugged in joystick on run-time
- New tree models

Joystick Controls:
x: Interact
□: Use
R1: Switch inventory
R2: Swap items
L1: Turn on/off flashlight
L3: Rotate camera to unit's facing (free third person camera mode only)
R3: Switch between camera modes (1 - Normal /2 - Locked third person/3 - Free third person)
Left analog: Move
Right analog: Rotate camera (third person camera mode only)

Sorry for inconsistencies on patch versions.

Note:
ENB costs a lot of graphical performance. If you are experiencing massive FPS drop, exit the game and disable ENB on setting tab then restart the program. If you are experiencing FPS drop by using third person camera mode, then you can only use normal camera mode for now.

Minor update:
Patch Update v0.8b - 08/Oct/2016:
Map:
- Fixed crash when playing without joystick device

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
Striving for a single piece of feedback!

The video demonstrates how secure the launcher program for my map project, Garden's Tale, is. Along with other things why you probably shouldn't hesitate for a second to test the map, as well as following the map development.

Note that I did not include other small security measures for the program, means that the program is actually way more robust than how it seems in the video.

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
I have no idea what did I ever do wrong that I can't even get little helps with a little voting from this community... Am I really that insignificant garbage in your eyes that I'm so unworthy for such little assistance? Why do I always need to cry and beg just to ask for helps or feedback? Am I really that harmful for the community? After all of my contributions, I really have no idea what's so wrong about me.

Last edited:
Level 14
It's the first time I see this thread but the fact that there is no presentation is off putting. Also the last video you posted is private.
I think you don't need to take things so personally. People have nothing against you or your project.

Kazeon

Level 33
The video was there for public for weeks, I keep promoting it and the polling with status updates for days. Visit count was increased quite a lot but no one came to help (only one person voted). Then the video became outdated after several updates so I removed it.

Maybe I'm the only one doing this much just for a single piece of feedback but still failed miserably. Crying did the trick tho, lol.

The project was close to be hosted but was cancelled due to near zero support from the community. So I have to bully my way to migrate it to moddb, in order to keep the project alive. I don't necessarily need to feel sad about it tho, I just feel a bit irritated and humiliated with this situation. So I need to spill it somewhere but somehow ended up in this thread.

But anyway, thank you. I appreciate your advice.

Level 14
Hi Quillnez I would have gladly helped out but somehow Hive 2.0 keeps unwatching threads ... I dont know if this is a site bug ... I think you are kind of over-reacting by stating, no one was interested in this project, in fact it gathered quite a lot of views, didnt it?

I like, how the fields look so classic harvest moon like in your newest screen.
Is there a playable version available? :)

Kazeon

Level 33
Never care about popularity and never said I was upset about lack of people interests. It's just totally obvious that this site has personal problems against me. Among all of those mutualism interactions between users (feedback giving) in this site, it's always been my stuffs to get ignored. Every time I need help, every time I need a quick small feedback, every time I held a little polling, just simply got ignored by the whole community. How friendly...

Anyway, this thread is no more than advertisement thread. Will be appreciated if no one post anything else, best yet to close or delete the thread. Thank you

If anyone is interested to follow the development, just come visit us at ModDB :)

Status
Not open for further replies.