• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Chat or Discord

Hive Chat or Discord?

• Hive Chat

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Discord

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I don't know where to post this. Off-Topic is probably the best place.
So.. As simple as it may seem, I'm just wondering, which one do you prefer most?

Hive Chat or Discord? And the reason. :)
I chose hive chat because it doesn't track my location, as far as I know, and it brings more traffic to the hive and helps their advertising.

Level 22
I personally prefer Hive Chat because I'm kinda used to the vibe there and many things happened there in the past.
Plus, it links to the user's profile so I can check out the ones i'm chatting with right way and everyone there is definitely members of the Hive.

The only downside is it doesn't keep the chat history so as soon as you get disconnected, everything disappears and you miss some of messages. But I can live with that-

Level 25
Hive Chat, because the stench of a corpse is wonderful. Not to mention that when Hive Chat truly dies, Sansa San will follow. And like Slavemaster Shar Shar Binks said, that will be one black day. I'm already sad, actually.

Edit
And oh, I like how messages turn green when I'm mentioned. Always wanted that in more IMs, because fuck reading walls of texts. Like this one. Bla bla bla. You can stop reading now. Seriously. Stop. Get moving. Stop it. LEAVE ME ALONE!

Last edited:
Level 6
The time I had in the Hive chat, even though it wasn't that much, was very enjoyable.
I feel like a discord channel is not as personal as a website chat, but maybe that is just me.
I just love the style the Hive has, for me it is the best designed Website I've ever used and that goes for the chat too.
Gotta admit tho that I haven't been in the chat for a very long time. Still a bit sad that it isn't used as much these days!

San

San

Level 32
upload_2018-3-13_15-42-29.png

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Discord is awexome, has a dedicated mobile app, works amazing with loads of features & cool stuff, keeps track of conversations with History & Searching & Pinning, organizes discussion with Channels & Sub-Channels & Roles...

C'mon Hive Chat. Just die already.

Level 11
Goodness me! Thank you @Rheiko, I had no idea there was a chat in the Hive. Yeah, and there's a "Chat" button clearly visible... Something must be wrong with me ahah.

Anyway, even though my experience in using Hive chat goes back to about 10 minutes, I prefer Hive chat rather than Discord. It's more convenient and handy to use the same site to get in touch with the same community. Just my two cents!

Level 34
Shido is right. At least for me.
This site is named Hiveworkshop. it already has its own chat. Everyone can and should create their own chat but under main chat there should not be replacement for no reason. Especially Discord since it is not connected to site. People told me to ,,create account" there. But I have account here. And now suddenly I have to go parallel somewhere else as part of this site.
Oh, also, someone said that noone wants to come here.
chathi10.png

There were more, but left before I could take screenshot. So yeah, while some day were just Mechanical Man, Shido and me alone in chat, recently there are lot of people again. It is not nearly like in good old days. Also, in Discord, I heard that there are lot of craps, much more than here, that place is uncontrollable still. Banned people from here have many accounts there and cause problems.

Level 28
Regarding interaction, I feel like the Hive chat is more open for an unpretentious "hey, how's life going?" and general nonsense. Which I often enjoy when I hop chat (rarely, I admit =P).

I might be wrong but I have this feeling that Discord is for a more... objective conversation. I also enjoy it, but personally it's not like Hive chat, where I enter to chill a little. I can get more used to it with time, nonetheless.

Level 25
Regarding interaction, I feel like the Hive chat is more open for an unpretentious "hey, how's life going?" and general nonsense. Which I often enjoy when I hop chat (rarely, I admit =P).

I might be wrong but I have this feeling that Discord is for a more... objective conversation. I also enjoy it, but personally it's not like Hive chat, where I enter to chill a little. I can get more used to it with time, nonetheless.
Don't let the disrupting force of Discord corrupt you, Naze!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
@Naze The Discord is for whatever you want; a *lot* of people use it for "random stop by & chat" stuff like you describe.

Also, there are sub-channels, so you can sort of 'keep to one side' and not disrupt whatever... "more objective" conversations may be going on. : ) #general_chat is probably a fine place for it.

Level 31
@Naze The Discord is for whatever you want; a *lot* of people use it for "random stop by & chat" stuff like you describe.

Also, there are sub-channels, so you can sort of 'keep to one side' and not disrupt whatever... "more objective" conversations may be going on. : ) #general_chat is probably a fine place for it.
I think for somebody with damn this:
ada.png
ADD THEM A DAMN CHANNEL FOR MODDING BOIS

Level 34
NSDAP ( No Silly Discord App Please )
Hahaha! Good one man!

Well, seems like we are defeated. Decision is being made. But this wont stop us. I can always curse them on Icoria's curse forever! They will be hunted by her ghost on Discord! :cgrin: They know her very well.

However, there is fact that 15 people still voted for good old chat. And nobody is going to leave sinking ship. In fact, support is stronger than ever! (known secret is that you wont die after ship sinks)

Level 31
I'm on Discord every day and almost never visit Hive chat.

Also, as I'm the sole developer, being one day able to get rid of Hive chat would reduce the codebase I have to maintain. I still feel fondly for the chat though...
I thought Archian also a dev * laugh *.... (I mean you're both from Denmark, Andreas)

Sadly if you come like 1:00 PM GMT Time, there usually have like fun time talk in Hive Chat. Personally they just don't have people who want to start the chat and Hive Chat again... didn't get improvement for long time (despite me join later, i asked old people here).

I gotta make a response for discord side.

Level 34
@Rheiko but we knew outcome. You just made thread to show them that chat will not die that easily. That many support it still, and you succeeded in it!

dont use either
THE MESSAGE FROM KING HIMSELF!
This is solution! Do not use either hive Chat or Discord, use telepathy to communicate yourself! Train your brains! MUHAHAHAHH!

Level 30
I liked thw chat better when there were chat moderators.
Discord is alright, especially if you use the voice chat to play warcraft with.
Only problem I see with discord is that with the custom screen names, you can't identify everyone at first glance, making conversation with such a big group a little awkward maybe.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I liked thw chat better when there were chat moderators.
Discord is alright, especially if you use the voice chat to play warcraft with.
Only problem I see with discord is that with the custom screen names, you can't identify everyone at first glance, making conversation with such a big group a little awkward maybe.
This is one of my biggest issues. I'm even personally culpable; I go by my "everywhere-else-on-the -Internet" username of 'Khyrberos'. (Still, I try to mitigate that a bit by using an identical avatar).

If there was some sort of tagging system, whereby each Hive user would be given given their Hive username, that'd be great.

Alternatively, we can just make it a rule on the hive Discord that everyone change their nickname to The Hive name; honestly I wouldn't even mind that being a requirement.

Level 22
That means whoever in charge of Hive's discord must verify the validity of each member's identity. That might be quite a hassle, will they not mind? This is a possible method in discord but still burdensome.

Create a new channel, available to newcomers and make the other channels unavailable to them by not assigning them a role until they have verified their Hive's membership then ask them to change their nickname to their Hive username. If they aren't part of Hive they aren't allowed to participate. This is one method that I know as I've seen it working in other Discord's server.

The effectiveness is very dependant on the moderators and the members who obey the rule, I guess.

Unless, it is okay for outsiders to join to begin with.

[13-11-47] Shar Dundred: #MakeHiveChatGreatAgain #KillDiscord
[13-12-22] Shar Dundred: Build a wall to Discord AND MAKE THEM PAY FOR IT

haha!
He just gave me idea! We should adapt to Trump-style, at least that turned out to be winning side :cgrin:
I could build the wall for a decent prize, I think my user explains it all.

Level 32
Discord is a lot better, but I understand some people have some nostalgia with Hive chat. I have some nostalgia too, but what use is it if chat history doesn't even function for everyone. Discord has so much more customization, it's a lot easier to manage from a staff standpoint, it's easy notify people quicker about anything, it's more welcoming and familiar to guests, seems to have limitless chat history, has a great search system, the channel organization is on point, the voice chat is something much better than skype has ever offered, and it includes many add-ons that would be able to help and link to Hive. These things allows for and provides incentive for people to be more active, and it really is more active which makes it more enjoyable to me. During my hours, the Hive chat is usually less than 4 people, often even one or none. And it's often just another tab everyone is AFK-ing in.

upload_2018-3-21_23-36-3.png

I'm not necessarily for killing the Hive chat, but I do feel Discord is a lot better and the chat is very outdated and clunky compared to what we have now.

I chose hive chat because it doesn't track my location, as far as I know, and it brings more traffic to the hive and helps their advertising.
Uh. We track your guys' IPs to stop multi-accounting and bot spam farms whereas Discord obscures their users IPs. So this is really the opposite of what you're thinking.

I like the hive's chat, it's a quiet place for olde members.
I mean even the old members who used to frequent the chat use discord. Bob, Pyritie, ShiiK, Pyramidhe@d, Hindy, Dio, RDZ, ike_ike, wereguy etc etc. But I'm getting off-topic heh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.