1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Hero Contest #3 - Avatar

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by Freyleyes, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Element of Water

Element of Water

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    But yours would be inferior to those made with tried and tested scripts - it'd be bound to have bugs. Plus, in a map, if each spell rewrites all the code, it's going to get pretty inefficient...

2. The Reborn Devil

The Reborn Devil

Resources:
    Resources:
    In maps it's totally different. Making a separate system for each spell is madness, which is why you make one or two systems for all of them. And I wouldn't make systems for my submission (if I had submitted anything) so I wouldn't have any inferior systems in it.

Enough with this conversation. We'll get nowhere if we continue with this and the rules WILL NOT change. Maybe they can be changed for the next contest, but for now let's start this contest and enjoy it.

3. Freyleyes

Freyleyes

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Actually, there will be allot less lines. TimerUtils actually only uses about 150 lines, and about another 30 lines goes to debugging and error finding(error finding, I am not sure if that is the correct term)

But that doesn't matter. The rules will be as they are

Ill say the 75% should just be a guideline, if you are using scripts, then it is fine if the ratio is a little off. The whole idea is that big systems that do all the work for you is avoided.

So lets start this thing up.

4. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I forgot this was a hero contest where there's going to be multiple spells (four?).
    75% seems reasonable.

5. The Reborn Devil

The Reborn Devil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Glad you agree. PY, GET OVAR HIER!

6. Aspard

Aspard

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I still can't understand, why you all so clever and strong personalities are playing the same game which just one man with the same distinguished tongue plays with you =\

7. xD.Schurke

xD.Schurke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    i don't get the sense behind this post sry :O

8. Aspard

Aspard

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well... I can't understand this fact: One man with quite good enough skill to "speak" and "provoke" really provokes all of you to argue with him and try to pleasure him. :)

Of course, I understand, that it's a democratic community, but anyway, what's the point in trying to make smb accept the rules of the whole community? Isn't it really easier and cleverer just to leave him with his opinion?

I just can't get a point of this argue. We have a proverb in our country: "The truth is born in argument". But there is no any truth in your having out, since nobody is going to accept the rules of other. =\

You can argue as much as you want, but the result will be the same anyway, so I see no point in it. Let's just approve this contest and start our work and JUST HAVE A FUN, DAMN YOU, WHY THE F*CK ARE YOU STILL ARGUING HERE??? This contest should have already been approved yesterday!!!

9. Deaod

Deaod

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Youre missing the point. Its BAD to reimplement already existing code. That concept is fundamentally flawed.
    I cant find the words to describe how bad this is.

I still think everyone should be able to use any other library he deems necessary. No restrictions of any kind.

10. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Telling people to make already made scripts for themselves is bad in numerous ways.
    • Code bloat! Who the hell wants 10 versions of the same script in their map just because of the authors lame spell requiring their own version.
    • The already approved, and standardized version is most likely to have less bugs.
    • Support! You get more support with approved scripts, as they are updated after patches are made.

This list is meant to apply to wc3, not programming in general.

11. xD.Schurke

xD.Schurke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    yeah but the main part of the discussion could stop.. since scripts like TimerUtils/GroupUtils/DamageDetection are allowed.

One just can't use xe and similar but that's no problem I think oO

12. ronojales

ronojales

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    so, uhh, when's this gonna start? *sees a lot of posts on arguing and yet doesn't understand a thing. oemgee* :eek:

13. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Pre-made spell and large systems shouldn't be allowed, things like knockback should, however. That's all there is to it, Deaod or whatever his name is just keeps bitching because it's not to his liking.

14. Deaod

Deaod

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Next time, please provide reasons.

Or respond to one of the many points ive made against disallowing libraries like the individual parts of xe.

15. Freyleyes

Freyleyes

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    For the next contest, lets try to settle soon enough, then every body can be happy

16. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Uhh I posted it here, did you guys not get the notice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.