• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #3 - Dystopia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
competition.png
number.png
3.png

Dystopia
Create a piece of music that evokes a dystopic world.
A dystopia is a society that has degraded into a repressive and controlled state, often under the guise of being utopian. Esentially, a Utopia gone wrong.
attachment.php

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the Rules of the contest the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any musical piece does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. Your post must include the music in an accepted file Format (MP3, OGG, or MIDI) and an accompanying explanation of the song (i.e. explain how it fits into the theme).
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be finished and logically conclude and start.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • You may not include long periods of silence in your song - rests are allowed but using 30 seconds of continuous silence simply to fill up space is not allowed.
  • Your song must include at least 2 parts(You basically can't have an entire song containing only a single instrument soloing)
  • You must post at least 1 WiP before the deadline so your final work can be verified as your own.
  • Minimum length is 1 minute, there is no maximum length (please keep it reasonable, 20 minute entries may create the necessity for a maximum length).
  • Any method of music production is allowed, including using Sequencers, Virtual Instruments, Sound Samples (granted you provide the source of the original sound sample) and standard recording.
  • Contestants may use any program to create their music. Essentially, the only part that is judged or limited is the final product.
  • No former works can be submitted, the piece must be new and created to fit the theme.
  • All entries must be accompanied by an explanation of how the song fits into the theme.
  • Vocals can be used, though the part being judged is the overall sound. Essentially the Vocals are being treated as if they were Instruments. Since this is a music contest, the sound is the product being judged, not the lyrics.
  • Though Sampling is allowed, it must be within reason:
  1. If you use an instrument sound sample for a Sampling VSI (basically if you just use the sound for the instrument, and make it play your music) you must provide the source of the sound, be it a website or an individual.
  2. SAMPLING COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE OWNER IS ILLEGAL, AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
  3. You may use Royalty free sound samples - but you must provide the source of the sample.
  4. The final song must be at least 75% of your writing - In essence, you can use a royalty free drum loop (or other form of sampled material) in your song, but if you chose to you must create enough of the other material or use in such a way that it can be said that YOU wrote 75% of the song. Samples of instruments simply to be used for a sequencer (like building a drum line out of specific drums or using a pitch altering sampler to make a melody out of a sound sample from an instrument) are exempt from the 75% rule.
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• To prevent the chaos caused last contest with the judges, potential judges must send me a piece of music they created to prove their musical knowledge.
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
How well does it demonstrate the feeling of a dystopia/15

Creativity/Originality
How original is the pieces? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc. /10

Dynamic/Tonation
Basically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense?/10

Composition
How well is it composed? Do key changes make sense?/15

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

All submissions must be complete and submitted 5 weeks after the contest is started.
The contest shall begin on x and conclude on x.

Current Contestants:
Everyone is welcome to join.

tips.png

If you need a music program to get you started, a list of free/nearly free programs were included in the last contest thread which can be found here:
Resources are at the bottom of the first post

Attachments

• Dystopia.jpg
    Dystopia.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 7,939
Last edited:
Level 19
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ontest-3-ideas-180908/index2.html#post1733442
Nuff said.
Im very very very pissed that you just made this thread WITHOUD waiting for the results in the other thread.

Watchman.... grrr....
You just joined your first contest ever with a 4th place (not that special) and now you try to push your own ideas through already. Why don't you wait with these childish decisions. I mean... go have your contest with 3 of your friends if you really want. But I'm really out if you push your ideas through like this.
I ONLY join contests if they have been chosen throughout a poll and atleast more then 3 people vouch for it.

You get my point?
I hope you do since I can't make myself look more clear.

Level 10
Oh yeah and I'm the immature one. This theme received positive reviews, I don't see what the problem is. Does it really matter this much? Besides, last contest I didn't like the Desert theme, yet I joined for the music. You said the same things last contest during the AoP scandal, that this contest is for the love of music only and for fun.

Yeah, thanks for killing it. And I'm very proud of my 4th place, so there. Besides, Rao vouched for it, lexalex did, Nara-shikamaru did, I did, YOU DID. So your point is moot.

Level 19
Oh yeah and I'm the immature one. This theme received positive reviews, I don't see what the problem is. Does it really matter this much? Besides, last contest I didn't like the Desert theme, yet I joined for the music. You said the same things last contest during the AoP scandal, that this contest is for the love of music only and for fun.

Yeah, thanks for killing it. And I'm very proud of my 4th place, so there.

Yes you are the immature one.
In the thread (that only excisted for one day and nearly 10% of all the active 'music people' from thw actually saw it yet) we didn't even decide anything yet. At this moment it looked like Schizophrenic and Dystopia were kinda close to eachother. But like what. 2 votes against 2 votes against 1 vote or something? Why couldn't you just wait for a poll with something like 15 votes in total.
You just want to push your own idea through. I don't know why (however I got ideas like you're just too bad to come up with a song idea if the theme isn't your own) but it's really unsportive and weak.

As for your 4th place. I wouldn't be so proud of what you created there.

So good luck with this contest.
Even if a poll would come up with Dystopia I wouldve joined it because I dont dislike the theme. But I dislike your way of acting. Your lack of 'democraty' perhaps. I just won't join a contest that's hosted like this.

Nuff said

Level 10
Apparently you're the immature one since you resort to personal attacks like that. I AM proud of the music I write even if stuck-up people like you bash it like that. Besides, I looked up to you as a music lover and a good person and this coming from you like that... Well then, I guess I was wrong.

Level 19
Apparently you're the immature one since you resort to personal attacks like that. I AM proud of the music I write even if stuck-up people like you bash it like that. Besides, I looked up to you as a music lover and a good person and this coming from you like that... Well then, I guess I was wrong.

You seem to have learned that your actions don't get approoved by everyone. Think about the thing that bothers me at this moment and see if you could've been wrong. I really got the feeling I'm not the only one that thinks you've been really too fast in your actions.

Level 10
Maybe other people though I acted too fast but they didn't go around attacking my person like you did. The ones that posted here so far reacted positively to the thread. Besides, if people decide that another theme should be chosen, is it really THAT hard to change the theme here, in this thread?

And by the way, no, I don't need a theme of my own choosing to write a good song. As I said, I didn't like the theme last contest, yet I did my best. And I found the final result a pretty decent song.

Meh, I'm done. Just go ahead, fuck up everything just because you have to be "democratic" and shit. If this gets hosted, I'll be judging. Fuck songwriting. Teuncreemers just fucking ruined my mood. Thanks a lot.

Level 35
Guys just calm down. Watchman, let's just go with the pool and if Dystopia wins, great! If not, so be it. A good musician can adapt to any theme demanded.

Teunscreemers, it is true that Watchman was a little hasty in creating this thread but of course, he is very passionate about creating music. I think with a little patience we can decide the dominant theme peacefully via a poll.

Level 10
OK! Enough drama and off-topicness. This is a CONTEST thread. No more drama and bitching shall go on while I host. As Wherewolf and Rao said, the host decides the theme and the contestants have to push their limits to write a song in said theme.

So, if you want to join, post here. If you want to judge, send me a PM. End of drama. Now we only hope the contest gets approved.

Actually I haven't ran across a drama-free contest for quite some time now.

Yeah, but the music contests in general seem to get the most drama over theme from what I've watched of the other contests. Not saying the other contests themselves don't have certain areas where there is much complaining. Though the modeling contests seem to have similar levels of annoyance

Level 19
OK! Enough drama and off-topicness. This is a CONTEST thread. No more drama and bitching shall go on while I host. As Wherewolf and Rao said, the host decides the theme and the contestants have to push their limits to write a song in said theme.

So, if you want to join, post here. If you want to judge, send me a PM. End of drama. Now we only hope the contest gets approved.

Well in that case.
I was looking forward to music contest #3, but not anymore.
I refuse to work like this.
No poll = no contest for me.

Level 10
Fine by me. Contests don't need to have polls to choose the theme. It's stupid. It's not a contest anymore. It's more like "let's all write some songs! What should they be about? Screw the contest!". Just as Rao said, contests are made to push the contestants out of their comfort zones, to make it challenging for them. Meh...

Level 19
Fine by me. Contests don't need to have polls to choose the theme. It's stupid. It's not a contest anymore. It's more like "let's all write some songs! What should they be about? Screw the contest!". Just as Rao said, contests are made to push the contestants out of their comfort zones, to make it challenging for them. Meh...

Tell me.
What's your role in this contest then?
Judge? Contestant?

With this "Rule" I can start my Music Contest #3.b contest with an other theme and see how many people join there.

Level 25
Since this is a suggestion thread, then here we go:

the%20hive%20workshop.png

___contest_type__.png
competition.png
number.png
___number_of_the_contest___.png

Mechanical World
Create a piece of music that evokes a Mechanical world.
It can be about a Mechanical Apocalyptic scenario, the junkyard or simply a world created by the machines.

joeisanoobhomocake.jpg
contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• blah blah blah etc...
prizes.png

• First Place: X reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: Y reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: Z reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Count me out! if this contest is approved I am handling it to Wherewolftherewolf
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme/15

Creativity/Originality/10

Dynamic/Tonation/10

Composition/15
  • X % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • Y % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on Date and conclude on Date, GMT
robotworld430x300.jpg

Level 6
Well in this contest i think Watchman being the host is not allowed to post any piece...so he pushed the ideea forward because there was positive feedback from the possible contestants, and the main ideea that the people speak about is Dystopia that is a nice theme in my opinion...

Level 10
I am allowed to post a piece, but I don't think I will. Hosts are allowed to participate, judges aren't.

Btw, Pyritie, you should clean this thread.

Also.
Tell me.
What's your role in this contest then?
Judge? Contestant?

With this "Rule" I can start my Music Contest #3.b contest with an other theme and see how many people join there.
Quit it, ok? You may be a good musician but you're like a 12 year old kid that didn't get the toy he wanted. Cut. It. Out. What's done is done. By bitching every 10 minutes you're only making it worse. Don't even bother replying to this. Just CUT IT OUT.

End of story.

Level 25
I am allowed to post a piece, but I don't think I will. Hosts are allowed to participate, judges aren't.

Also.

Quit it, ok? You may be a good musician but you're like a 12 year old kid that didn't get the toy he wanted. Cut. It. Out. What's done is done. By bitching every 10 minutes you're only making it worse. Don't even bother replying to this. Just CUT IT OUT.

End of story.

Wth? more of this attitude and I might start neg rep'ing :/
This will lead you only to a flame war.

Last edited:
I think we're a bit more qualified to know what to clean and what not to clean.

End of story.

What joe said.

Level 30
I think we're a bit more qualified to know what to clean and what not to clean.
Apparently you think wrong. Drama should be kept out of threads like these.
Seriously Py, a moderator shouldn't use his powers or status to humiliate other users such as watchman. Just because he started a drama in the last contest, doesn't mean it's his fault this time. It was Teuncreemers who started this convo, not Watchman. Though, Watchman should've waited for a public poll before starting this thread.
I think this is a neat theme and I think you guys should stop whining and host this already.

What joe said.

Wikipedia said:
Altitude or height is defined based on the context in which it is used (aviation, geometry, geographical survey, sport, and more). As a general definition, altitude is a distance measurement, usually in the vertical or "up" direction, between a reference datum and a point or object.
What does altitude have to do with anything in this thread?

I think you guys are making prejudgments. I doubt you even read through this thread. What are you guys on about? Watchman is only defending himself. How can you not see that teuncreemers posted offensive stuff first?
Ofcourse it'll lead to a flamewar. Drama does stuff like that and this is why you should keep drama away from threads like this.

Stop picking on Watchman, you two are incompetent.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Heh, a music threesome and no one invited me ? :D

The way I see it there should be a poll to either result in I participate or not :)).

BTW Watchdude you might wanna' change the theme picture to something more... grim :D.

Level 25
Rofl XD I just automatically clicked auto-correct and didn't recheck
sorry guys, Edited.
Don't forget that we have a report button.
And " [16-38-51] Watchman: I couldn't stand to give him the satisfaction of being the one to end the argument."
:/ your not innocent either

Last edited:
Level 19
I'm just trying to put an end to it. Which I will right now. I'm gonna shut up now.

I didn't want to continue bitching at you.
The only thing I asked in my last post was what your role will be in this contest. I find that very interesting to know, it will affect my role in this contest aswel.

Fairly it's like this:
If you are a contestant I might join.
If you're a judge I won't join.
If you're none of those then I might join aswell.

I think everyone gets my point that I'm very disappointed that this over-rushed decision was made but that can't be reversed anymore, so now I'm just trying to see what's going to happen with this thingy now.
I agree that I overreacted in my first reaction. That was wrong of me and immature. But I still think my reason was good to be mad... However my madness turned into disappointment now.
Music is something that is very very very important for me since it's my job and well... my life. That's why I stressed out a bit about this.

So my apologies for my anger Watchman. But I hope you understand my point of view.

Teun

And on the other hand.... The more you call me a drama queen the more anger I create resulting into a face pwning track that will beat up everyone in here muhahaha! Emotions are the best way to make music, so bring it on! (maybe that's why music contests have the most drama... Musicians are sensitive persons)

Status
Not open for further replies.