• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #3 Ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Soooooo!!!!
I wish I had more time to come up with something for Music Contest #2.
But now I can atleast post this, hoping I can join the 3rd contest.

Anyone got ideas for a 3rd contest?

List of current idea's:

Teuncreemers' Ideas:

1) Small Group Music...
With this I mean making a piece of music for let's say 1, 2, 3 or 4 music instruments and not more then (per example) 4 instruments. So focussing on let's say Guitar, Drums, Bass for those that like Rock music or something like 'Drumcomputer', Synth #1, Synth #2, Saxophone for those that like techno/lounge/hiphopish whatever.. Or Piano + Violin or something for more classical oriented people.

2) "Schizophrenic"
Make a song that fits to the word "Schizophrenic". Make your imagination do the rest.;-)

3) Style Changing Music
Make a song with a complete style change INSIDE the song. As an example you can start the song with a classical piano intro and eventually the song ends with a heavy guitar solo. So don't mix 2 styles into 1 like Jazz + Country = Gibseymusic. But really make the switch occur in the song.

Watchman's Ideas:

1) Dystopia
Basically a 'perfect world' gone wrong. So a failed Utopia basically.

JetFangInferno's Ideas:

1) Circus
2) Flight
3) Waltz
4) Sunlight

WherewolfTherewolf Ideas:

1) Dream
2) Abnormal Instrument choice - take an instrument/sound specific to a certain type of music and adapt it to something totally different
3) Attack

Orangeangel's Ideas:

1) "Village Music"
2) "Castle Music"
3) "Wilderness Music"

More idea's?! Post them here!

Last edited:
Level 19
A Utopia is an ideal world of perfection. A Dystopia is the opposite: it is a Utopia gone wrong -- an imperfect world.

Some themes I had in mind:
- Circus
- Flight
- Waltz
- Sunlight

Alright!
I updated them in the 1st post.
Oh..And congratulations with your 1st price ofc.;-)

Level 10
Well, that's the point, we should concentrate on removing any possible genre limitations (there weren't any so far, but some people seemed to think so). No more "bawww orchestral" or "bawww sitar" or "bawww electronica" episodes. I think Dystopia deals well with this problem.

3) Style Changing Music
Make a song with a complete style change INSIDE the song. As an example you can start the song with a classical piano intro and eventually the song ends with a heavy guitar solo. So don't mix 2 styles into 1 like Jazz + Country = Gibseymusic. But really make the switch occur in the song.

You guy's bitched last time I suggested something involving style.
Anyways it could be interesting

2) "Schizophrenic"
Make a song that fits to the word "Schizophrenic". Make your imagination do the rest.;-)

This could be pretty sweet, actually it could probably fit in with style change too

Dystopia is also pretty cool.

Other suggestions:
-Dream
-Abnormal Instrument choice - take an instrument/sound specific to a certain type of music and adapt it to something totally different
-Attack

You guy's bitched last time I suggested something involving style.
Anyways it could be interesting
this isn't about 'style', as "a style", it's any style, as long as it changes to something else in the song's duration :)

We could also have something like:

"Cinematic Song" Contest
A cinematic wc3 map is given as input and you should make a song with the same duration of the cinematic that fits it.
IMO this would be pretty epic.

Level 19
"Cinematic Song" Contest
A cinematic wc3 map is given as input and you should make a song with the same duration of the cinematic that fits it.
IMO this would be pretty epic.

Last time I came with that idea, but nobody wanted it.:(
I think it might be a littlebit too hard. And I noticed that people here wanted to seperate music from warcraft 3. I myself prefered wc3 related themes since Im making music every day already so why should I do exactly the same for a thw contest. On the other hand. Who cares. If I don't like it I just don't join like I did with the last contest:)

As for most idea's... You are not clear enough.
I mean words like 'Dream' aren't good I think. Dystopia is good and Schizophrenic is well fine I think. But Dream is too alround. You can do ANYTHING with that.
As for Circus and theme's like that.. I think in my imagination they restrict too much to 1 kind of thing. Like the previous contest kinda encouraged people to use Sitar sounds I think its best to make this 3rd music contest have no 'encouragements' at all. With Dystopia nobody can say; there's no good dystopia withoud a harp sound imo!!!! With Schizophrenic nobody can say its only good if it has a mandolin sound! With dream I basically want to say it needs to have bells or soft synth sounds or something. To be honest at the moment I like Dystopia and Schizophrenic the most.

Last time I came with that idea, but nobody wanted it.:(
I think it might be a littlebit too hard. And I noticed that people here wanted to seperate music from warcraft 3. I myself prefered wc3 related themes since Im making music every day already so why should I do exactly the same for a thw contest. On the other hand. Who cares. If I don't like it I just don't join like I did with the last contest:)

As for most idea's... You are not clear enough.
I mean words like 'Dream' aren't good I think. Dystopia is good and Schizophrenic is well fine I think. But Dream is too alround. You can do ANYTHING with that.
As for Circus and theme's like that.. I think in my imagination they restrict too much to 1 kind of thing. Like the previous contest kinda encouraged people to use Sitar sounds I think its best to make this 3rd music contest have no 'encouragements' at all. With Dystopia nobody can say; there's no good dystopia withoud a harp sound imo!!!! With Schizophrenic nobody can say its only good if it has a mandolin sound! With dream I basically want to say it needs to have bells or soft synth sounds or something. To be honest at the moment I like Dystopia and Schizophrenic the most.
Schizophrenic > Dystopia
but both are awesome and I'm fine with them :ogre_hurrhurr:

our cinematic song contest could be a mapper/musician paired cinematic contest

Level 10
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/.../music-contest-3-dystopia-180945/#post1733190
I got itchy, hehe. Couldn't help myself.
Also, in the second contest people weren't actually encouraged to use sitar. The sitar is an indian instrument and the main deserts of the world are in Africa (Sahara), China (Gobi) and USA (Death Valley). So people basically used it for it's mysterious sound, no because it's linked to the desert.

Last edited:
Level 19
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/.../music-contest-3-dystopia-180945/#post1733190
I got itchy, hehe. Couldn't help myself.
Also, in the second contest people weren't actually encouraged to use sitar. The sitar is an indian instrument and the main deserts of the world are in Africa (Sahara), China (Gobi) and USA (Death Valley). So people basically used it for it's mysterious sound, no because it's linked to the desert.

Watchman. You seriously piss me off!
Why don't you just wait till we decided something together dude?
Grrr... I'm so pissed. You know what!
Screw this.
I'm out...
This is a freaking thread to collect idea's and to make a POLL afterwards.
You freaking **** (Cencored to avoid -rep) you just made something before we decided something.
People like you arg.... never mind this.

I'm out!
Thank Watchman for this.

Can't stand childish little kids that try to push their own ideas through like this. Stay away from this site or go bother someone else sheesh.

Who's calling who childish Teun? Seriously, don't blow gasket so soon

Anyways you guys changed the last theme for the suggested contest when you bitched enough about that (and yes, I will constantly refer to that as bitching - and by you I mean people in general).

And you know, you can't exactly force the host to put up a certain theme because you know what, are you going to host the contest (actually you had suggested before so this is more directed at other people, seriously - don't bitch about the job someone's doing when you yourself aren't willing to host the contest)?

Level 12
You freaking **** (Cencored to avoid -rep) you just made something before we decided something.

But everyone kind of agreed on Dystopia...

How about we (Wolf or Watchman) simply make a poll between Dystopia and Schizo? The winning theme would be edited into the contest thread. This would also give people some time to take a breath between the contests.

Level 19
But everyone kind of agreed on Dystopia...

How about we (Wolf or Watchman) simply make a poll between Dystopia and Schizo? The winning theme would be edited into the contest thread. This would also give people some time to take a breath between the contests.

Sigh. Big sigh.. Very big sigh.
If you read through the posts we have atleast 3 people saying they prefer Schizo theme (excluding myself because I didnt want to talk about my vote yet since others mightve had better ideas). So that comes to something like 4 Schizo votes and 4 Dystopia votes. So that's my whole point!
This entire thing was decided in just 20 hours or something? Come on!

My major frustration is basically that I created this topic to talk about it for a bit. Then peacefully decided something througout a poll withoud rushing things. Then happily start a contest #3 where I could even be a judge (or enter if there are more people that want to judge). Then all of a sudden someone interrupts the patience I had with a 'overrushed' decision.
It feels like telling a joke to a bunch of friends when right before the clue someone enters the conversation and tells everyone the clue. You get what I mean? I was working towards a certain point to start a contest and have more thoughts about it at first. And now that's all ruined because someone created the post too soon.

And about all the 'drama'. I just tried to avoid the drama to talk good about it beforehand. Now this got ruined and I got very very pissed (which I still am).

WherewolfTherewolf said:
And you know, you can't exactly force the host to put up a certain theme because you know what, are you going to host the contest (actually you had suggested before so this is more directed at other people, seriously - don't bitch about the job someone's doing when you yourself aren't willing to host the contest)?

So the answer on this was "YES! I am willing to host the contest! I was kinda even planning to host it!"... rofl

as addition, (dont know if im adequate now),
Magic forest
Underground tomb
Abyss (eternal darkness)
Water world (planet of water)
Volcanic world (unstable planet)
Ice world
Death of the world (nuclear bomb, asteroid)

If we are going to do some sort of poll thing, we should probably have a condense list so we can have decisive results - a few scattered votes in a list of like 10 themes isn't all that conclusive.

It seems like the themes everyone likes so far are:
-Dystopia
-Schizo

I also Style change would be good

@Teuncreemers: you're getting a bit overdramatic. Just ignore that thread for now. It's not a dystopia that it's there.

True. I'll decide upon it tomorrow, I'm going to sleep now, although I think I'm going to make that poll.
Hold it. Just wait a couple days further so we get all good ideas and then we get that poll up. By the way, anyone can make the poll, I'm just telling you not to get across the topic with it too early again. And if you end up doing it, depending on the number of entries it would be better to make it Multiple Choice, as for "In which themes would you like to take part of the contest?"

Magic forest
Underground tomb
Abyss (eternal darkness)
Ice world
Your themes are cool, but some of them might get too boring. I like the underground tomb one, but the other ideas that we had here before seem to be more attractive.

It would be nice if we had a music contest that involved songs with lyrics :p
but people should sing... that would make the output limited

It would be nice if we had a music contest that involved songs with lyrics :p
but people should sing... that would make the output limited

Yeah, not everyone has the voice or equipment to do that though.

Also I'd say instead of a traditional poll (if we're doing a poll at all) do what we did last time with the vote via post thing that way it's not just anyone and everyone votes (so the theme is decided via people participating, not anyone (and anyone's friends who wants a certain theme hehe)).

Level 12
Sigh. Big sigh.. Very big sigh.
If you read through the posts we have atleast 3 people saying they prefer Schizo theme (excluding myself because I didnt want to talk about my vote yet since others mightve had better ideas). So that comes to something like 4 Schizo votes and 4 Dystopia votes.

Fortunately I did read through the entire thread and failed to see anyone except HC favoring Schizophrenic over Dystopia.

And seriously, why all the drama? Watchman just made a thread, it's not even official. These things take time and he rushed and made a thread, nothing changes. No need to get all pissed.

Level 5
Magic forest
Underground tomb
Abyss (eternal darkness)
Ice world

Magic forest has been done before too many times... but Ice world could be really cool. And I think I just typed a pun.

/\
lol. Ice world imo would have a boring output of abstract and too smooth songs

Fortunately I did read through the entire thread and failed to see anyone except HC favoring Schizophrenic over Dystopia.

And seriously, why all the drama? Watchman just made a thread, it's not even official. These things take time and he rushed and made a thread, nothing changes. No need to get all pissed.
Indeed, I myself withdraw my arguments.

I guess I forgot for a while how contests work (really well) in THW - someone makes a thread, with the contest name and rules, people show they will/won't participate, and if it is popular it is officially hosted. Plain and simple.

So, as I already said, I'm interested in Dystopia as well.

This thread might prove useful as brainstorming, but anyone is free to create a contest thread and test its popularity and a mod turns it into official. Getting mad about it is childish.

I guess I forgot for a while how contests work (really well) in THW - someone makes a thread, with the contest name and rules, people show they will/won't participate, and if it is popular it is officially hosted. Plain and simple.

Oh no, rules state that with every contest there must a certain level of drama
The more drama, the more successful the contest was

Level 10
Ugh...

I thought the point of a contest was not to give the contestants the theme they wanted, so this would push them out of their comfort zones... Hence I always found it strange that Hive is so up on voting for them.

He's right. I don't see what the big freaking deal is. Let's just make it a no-theme contest to prevent any more bitching (yes, what you are doing IS bitching, just as it was last contest).

Level 19
I've said what I wanted to say.
You all get my point.
From now on I stay away from this topic and might not even join the contest anymore. I'm really not in the mood anymore to actually do anything with thw and music combined.

Teun

dis3375_drama%20llama.png

Seriously, is all this drama necessary? I mean express discontent and try and do something about it, but this is much more then that

Status
Not open for further replies.