• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #13 - Theme Poll (New!)

Vote on 2!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Music Contest#13 - Theme Poll

So the last Music Contest ran well, and I decided to take an initiative of hosting another Music Contest. Here on this thread is the theme poll for the contest, you can pick two themes.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Extended Play
Yes, create an Extended Play! The way you create the extended play is free-styled and you can choose any genre you want in each track! The track is around 3-5 tracks or below 30 minutes. Since it's longer, the contest duration would be 2 months or more this way.

Electronic Dance Music, Future
Another sub-genre from the EDM scene for you to select if it's your preferred theme.

Yin & Yang
The music piece must in some way create diametrically opposed (as-different-as-possible) soundscapes, either through dynamics, or through thematic difference, or some other creative ways one can think of. For example, one part of the song can be decidedly sad sounding, while the other one is decidedly happy sounding, or you can switch them up inside the verses all the time through modulations, or you can create a calm and beautiful atmosphere just to add some face melting synths or metal afterwards, completely throwing expected dynamics off. I think a plenty of people can create a composition like this, and it'd be fun to see how people go about the (very light) theme.

Canon
Refer to this link for more info. The idea is to create a music piece that conforms, at least in some ways, to the canonical song structure. I think there are a plenty of people who'd have to think outside the box to make their style conform to this, and that's why I think it'd make for creative entries.

Stealth
Either atmospheric, steady or action paced music depicting covert operations/infiltration/sabotage, recon missions be it in a medieval, fantasy, sci-fi or contemporary setting.

Warcraft Universe Remix
Make a remix/rearrangement of any song in the Warcraft Universe (whether it's the trilogy or the entire WoW franchise).

_________________________________________________________________________________

The poll will close on January 5, 2020. The ones that didn't get any vote were eliminated

Last edited:
Level 38
While I think Yin & Yang is the most approachable of all the themes, Canon sounds like it would be a real challenge for a music contest (as far as I've seen them here at THW) and truly intrigues me. I voted for both.

If anyone needs help/an opinion on whether or not their piece is within the classical canon I would be willing to offer myself as a resource (classically trained, studied music [jazz and classical] at a conservatory). I think a restraint such as this breeds more interesting song construction, but that is just my opinion.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
If anyone needs help/an opinion on whether or not their piece is within the classical canon I would be willing to offer myself as a resource (classically trained, studied music [jazz and classical] at a conservatory). I think a restraint such as this breeds more interesting song construction, but that is just my opinion.
But most of us here have no musical literacy so it might either be unfair to some or just hard to grasp.

Level 16
Id like to request a few good examples of Yin & Yang. I understand the idea of having it going from happy to sad and vice versa. But I'm getting the idea I can do this in any given genre. Is that correct?
As long as it is opposing. You can do happy to sad, soft to heavy, engaging to unengaging, quiet to loud, and so on.

An example of Yin & Yang (this one goes from heavy to soft):

Level 16
Alright well that seems like a good idea. I think the Extended Play is a bit too ambitious in my opinion though. Requiring multiple tracks and something much longer than traditional submissions. I'd say it'll be better to keep tracks under the 10 minuet rule. "You are allowed to use ONE unfinished project, the rest must be new." This in it self is a very odd since the whole idea is to create new tracks for the contest. Personally.. I don't think we should ever let anyone use something they've created in the past for current or upcoming contests. The reason why I say this is because even though a project might not be "complete". It is possible that the "unfinished project" has had a lot of time and work already put into it. Personally I feel like that's unfair on those that have to go out their way to create all 3 to 5 tracks from scratch.

Anyway I'm excited for the next contest! Thanks for hosting it this time @AditTechno !

Status
Not open for further replies.