• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Next Music Contest's Theme

Music Contest #4 - POLL

• War Theme

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Horror Theme

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Psychedelic Theme

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • RPG Styled Theme

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Due to the last contest failing to have enough contestants. We're going to have a re-vote for what will be the next theme for music contest #4. The last cancelled contest genre was comedy .

the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
contest.png
number.png
4.png

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules. Otherwise, the creator can and shall be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the given theme. If it does not, a judge or moderator shall inform you as soon as possible to avoid confusion.
  • Accepted file formats are MP3, OGG and MIDI.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. Your post must include the music in an accepted file format and an accompanying explanation of the song (i.e. explain how it fits into the theme).
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest. This also means you are not allowed to rework older pieces for submission. Everything must be 100% specifically made for this contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be finished and logically conclude and start.
  • Teamwork is not allowed. Ever.
  • Your song must include at least 2 parts, meaning that you basically can't have an entire song containing only a single instrument soloing.
  • You must post at least 1 WiP before the deadline so your final work can be verified as your own. WiPs may come in the form of the unfinished piece, or in case you're using a program to make your song, a screenshot of said program while you're working on the song with the title and author of the song clearly visible.
  • Minimum length is 2 minutes. There is no maximum length, but keep it reasonable, as 15 minute entries may cause a maximum length to be enforced.
  • Any method of music production is allowed, including using Sequencers, Virtual Instruments and standard recording.
  • Contestants may use any program, except those that rely solely on sampling (such as eJay), to create their music. Essentially, the only part that is judged or limited is the final product.
  • All entries must be accompanied by an explanation of how the song fits into the theme, but try not to write a whole novel about it.
  • Vocals can be used, though the part being judged is the overall sound. Lyrical content is not judged.
  • Sampling is allowed, but restricted as such:
  • If you use an instrument sound sample for a Sampling VSI (meaning that you just use the sound of the instrument, and not a premade loop, and make it play your music) you must provide the source of the sound, be it a website or an individual.
  • SAMPLING COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE OWNER IS ILLEGAL, AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. EVER.
  • You may use Royalty free sound samples - but you must provide the source of the sample.
  • The final song must be at least 75% of your writing - In essence, you can use a royalty free drum loop (or other form of sampled material) in your song, but if you chose to, you must create enough of the other material or use in such a way that it can be said that YOU wrote 75% of the song. Samples of instruments simply to be used for a sequencer (like building a drum line out of specific drums or using a pitch altering sampler to make a melody out of a sound sample from an instrument) are exempt from the 75% rule.
  • Again, using programs solely based on sampling, such as eJay, is strictly forbidden.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

Last edited:
Level 16
Your song must include at least 2 parts, meaning that you basically can't have an entire song containing only a single instrument soloing.

This is incredibly stupid.

In other news I am still open to judge. Just in case you all forgot I am a drummer who has worked with a few different local jazz ensembles and I've played about 20+ gigs, plus I've worked in an actual recording studio. I also CAN read music (despite being a drummer), and have actually performed on the glockenspiel & marimba, and I have 3 years of piano experience. I was accepted to judge music contest #4, so there really shouldnt be a problem.

Level 30
Har har!
I've been experimenting with war themed stuff before this. I'm working on an EP right now, actually. It's somewhat russian/cold war kind influenced, so I could do something on the side.

War theme it is for me. I didn't like the last contest's theme whatsoever, but I'm willing to do something for this one. Also, this is my first post in ages. Haha.

Level 30
Hi Devine, I'm glad that you're liking the war theme as it does appear to be the current winner. Whenever this poll closes, either Vista sucks or I can host the contest and hopefully this time we will get greater participation.

Yeah, I'll join. I even subscribed to this thread. Means something.

That's odd. I seem to recall that the fact we had these pre-contest threads was to agree on a theme everyone liked. If you don't like it, speak up

ffs people.

I recall saying I didn't like the theme quite a few times.

I know this topic is fairly dead but I'd still like to weigh my opinion in on it:

"RPG Styled Theme"

This seems a really ambiguous subject, I mean you might as well say "video games" to be the theme should you have chosen this since RPG can manfiest itself in so many scenarios and motifs - in it's most basic definition it doesn't imply much that can be worked with musically unless you get into a really creative sort of tangent where you make the song somehow imply stat building and progression.

If you're going for like the stereotypical Dungeons, Dragons and Giant Swords sort of RPG then you might want to pick a theme like "Fantasy" or the like for a more precise idea.

(now I'd normally support ambiguous and abstract conceptual type themes for the many ways they can be interpreted, but I think just saying RPG could lead to many, many arguments over what is a good RPG theme and on top of that might lead to some difficulties judging with some judges more and less open to the idea of RPGs outside the paradigm).

Level 16
Zzz I've mostly given up Wc3 mapping since I've joined a development team for a UDK project. I won't really have the time to participate, so I will re-extend my willingness to judge (it is a lot less time consuming). I'll try to finish my thread involving basic drum patterns and theory before the contest starts as well, but my only large chunk of free time is this weekend so we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.