• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HD Modeling Contest #2 - Great Dark Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

hd-png.376391
modeling-png.373686
contest-png.373719
png.373678
2-png.373676

1627643760122-png.384452

gdb-png.384453

Contestants must create a HD model that is related to any of the different species from the outer reaches of Azeroth; that is, inhabitants from Draenor, Outland, Argus and the Twisting Nether.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it's yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must work in-game and be bug-free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Model entries are allowed as long as there is a certain amount of effort put into them, and must include a Dissipate animation and Hero Glow or Decay Flesh and Decay Bone animations.
  • WoW ports or models that use external material must have working ORMs and normals, and should not account for more than 10% of the model (a weapon, a piece of armor, a distinctive small geoset...). Models that are heavily influenced by external assets should be avoided, and the judges are entitled to disqualify the model if they deem it necessary.
  • In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the HD Model Resource section. Remember to write in the description: "Entry for the 2nd HD Modeling Contest".

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entry
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.​

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

MeshHow does the mesh look? How are the balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution? Do the shapes complement the model's theme?/15
SkinDoes the model have custom diffuses, ORMs and/or Normals? How good is the wrap? Are the textures appealing, or do they look blurry/stretched from the default game camera and portrait? Do the tones go well together? Is there sufficient contrast? Do the Normals and ORMs create proper lighting for the model?/15
AnimationsDoes the model have custom animations? How natural, smooth, and appropriate are the animations? Do they have character/personality? How well are they executed? Does the model have enough animations to function properly?/15
Integration/
Optimization
How well does the model work in-game? Does it feature the necessary attachments, footprints, sounds, and collisions? Does it have a working FaceFX? Is it optimised for minimal disk usage? Does it have enough Team Colour?/15
ThemeHow well does the model follow the contest theme?/15
EffectsDoes the model make use of emmissives, effects, ribbons, or additional custom models (i.e. projectiles/spells)? How well are they implemented? Does the model make use of fresnel, visibility or other .mdl edits?/5
CreativityHow original is the general idea? How inventive is the execution? How distinct is the model from the original assets?/20
/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 2 August 2021 and conclude on 22 September 2021 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Riki

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 32
Level 27
as it sais, "inhabitants of ..." how does this include buildings?
Description says "Contestants must create a HD model that is related to any of the different species from the outer reaches of Azeroth", which means that they do not necessarily have to be units or heroes, but buildings that are related to the inhabitants of those areas are also accepted.

so if I pick anything from WoW Legion, its ok ?
As long as it is not from Azeroth, sure.

I want to enter but have no idea what to pick :/
Arrakoa, Ogrons, Botani, Fel machines, Naaru (super easy to do), Lothraxion (super easy as well), any demon from the burning legion, a Titan...

Btw, I confirm that I'll be doing a shivarra.

Edit: progress so far

shivarra.gif

Last edited:
@Riki, could you please add me to the roster? I am making an ethereal. Here's my first WIP. I know it still looks like a night elf but that's just the base geosets. The rest of the work will be with textures and particle effects.

WIPCombined.png

Edit 8/14/2021:

Here's a second WIP!

WIP5.PNG

And here's a third WIP:

WIP6.PNG

Last edited:
@Riki, could you please add me to the roster? I am making an ethereal. Here's my first WIP. I know it still looks like a night elf but that's just the base geosets. The rest of the work will be with textures and particle effects.

View attachment 385052

Edit 8/14/2021:

Here's a second WIP!

View attachment 385139

And here's a third WIP:

View attachment 385142
Quick feedback. I think you are already planning it but you should get rid of the face, maybe paste back of the head on top of it as a new mesh and start deleting the nose and mouth, you can fit the back of the head very well to fill the gaps

Level 6

Edit 8/14/2021:

Here's a second WIP!

And here's a third WIP:
I feel like a lot of those bandages are too tight together, unlike the rather loosely bandaged originals. Not sure how easy that would be to fix.

I feel like a lot of those bandages are too tight together, unlike the rather loosely bandaged originals. Not sure how easy that would be to fix.
Yeah, this was a bit of a test. I will be removing select bandage strips in targeted areas for the final version.

I'm a little sad that I couldn't take part...

To those who participate:
Good luck to you. I'm so curious what you will create! ✊
Aw, there's still a lot of time left. I'd say that this contest should "start" once there are at least 5 participants. It's hard to plan stuff for Summer.
I wouldn't mind postponing the end date some weeks for everyone to join.

Level 34
Aw, there's still a lot of time left. I'd say that this contest should "start" once there are at least 5 participants. It's hard to plan stuff for Summer.
I wouldn't mind postponing the end date some weeks for everyone to join.

Sry, I really don't have time this time.
If so, then I want to concentrate fully on the contest. And that is simply not the case in the near future,
because far too much is going on for me at the moment.
Unfortunately this is not a question of 1 or 2 weeks ...
But thanks for the offer!

Next time with pleasure!

Level 14
Shadowlands is not Azeroth either.
But I don’t think anyone is thinking about Shadowlands.
Shadowlands is not in Great dark beyond. GDB is a name for cosmos in Warcraft universe and lies in the Reality. Shadowlands itself is another plane of existence - realm of Death that lies beyond Reality.

Level 6
I did recently updated his skin to put a bit of yellow in there like the other Orc units have, this pic was a WIP I had and got curious to see if the model would work for this contest
He still seems a bit too vivid to me, but it's not a big deal. However, I just noticed that his blood is the wrong color in his death anim.

Status
Not open for further replies.