• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim ! {lulz?^^}

Status
Not open for further replies.
What bugs? ._.
I've had a few issues of getting stuck when jumping around, and a few models not attaching to your hands and stuff correctly, but otherwise I haven't really had any problems

Also, does anyone know how to rotate the 3D model in your inventory? I saw Simon from the Yogscast do it, and I want to do it myself, but holding the mouse button, holding "E", and rotating the mousewheel doesn't seem to do anything.

click and drag on the model

Anyways, what side did you guys pick? Empire or Stormcloaks?

ALL OF THEM

haven't joined either yet, but stormcloaks feel like nazis, what with all of their "nords are the true race" thing going on, so I'm probably gonna go with empire

if I join the legion, are all stormcloaks hostile towards me?

well that's a bit dumb, why can't I just hide the fact that I'm one or the other or something?

also let's see your characters guys!

I just finished
that quest where you have to go to that party and find some stuff

that was pretty fun

got a nice dwarven greatsword with +20 fire from it too

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 179
Level 34
Oh Py, you silly furry.

Haven't tried the game, but I probably will once my friend's done with his copy. I rarely buy games at full price anymore. Space Marine has been the only one I bought on release within the last year, and what a mistake that turned out to be.

Level 17
if I knew I wouldn't buy it either at least not until they pump patches with bug fixes. you can get over most bugs with reload or console commands but bugged magic is really frustrating.
I was forced to pretty much dump destruction altogether and went with conjuration. which turns out is pretty broken by itself.

Level 11
Is there ne1 else who is playing on the console version?? cause it came to my attention how awfully laggy the game is when u progress further and further... its almost unplayable.. im level 45 right now and i cant fight 2 things without the screen acting up... like every fight i just let my summoned dremora lords do all the work cause of the lag =\

good thing i read of an upcomming patch commin soon said to fix these issues, and hopefully other major bugs... but the game is still badass nonetheless :D

Level 17
and just totally random side-note.. nobody found it funny that skyrim has no dragons at all ? and what bethesda claims to be dragons are actually wyverns.
shame bethesda shame

guess majority doesn't even know what a wyvern is let alone differentiate it lol.
and obviously the nords were too dumb to differentiate as well, most likely because dragons in nordic mythology are almost non-existent.

Last edited:
Level 15
Who cares about fancy graphics anyway?

I would rather play Mount&Blade or Diablo II a hundred times before trying a poorly made game with some cool effects in it to impress kids.
...This, and...
Umm nope, i tried morrowind, played it a little but not finished, and played oblivion at a friend of mine, made a level 12 breton i think which i specialized in stealth, light armour, archery and sword fighting and i joined the dark brotherhood :D
Then you get invisibility spell, infinite mana by leveling your mana pool and ignore the whole base of the game :p

Level 2
Okay , truth be told , Skyrim is an amazing game . Stunning graphics , excellent equipment (with great variety ) , liberty to form anything you want , epic battles that offer thrill and many many more goodies .
But i cant help but nag about some issues too . For example , in order to LR a secondary spell be that conjuration , destruction , anything , you have to equip and unequip a right hand weapon first to cancel all right slot equips . Furthermore , the voice acting is horrible . The npcs have dragons over their heads , war coming for them , bandits, giants and countless other beasts at their doorstep and still their voices show no emotion . Its like they go to groceries instead of battle .
Also , the deadric princes are a slight disappointment . In Oblivion , the shrines were waiting for you to discover them after thorough exploration . In skyrim they drop at your hands through just strolling around the city hubs . Perfect example Sanguine , Molag Bal , Namira , etc .
Last but not least , the stealth guilds . I couldnt believe my eyes when i found dark brotherhood by that boy quest and stealing their assasination . Also i couldnt believe that it was discovered freely around skyrim who performed the dark sacrament . And was left dumbstruck when i was introduced to the dark brotherhood by a hot chick in leather giving me perky speeches . Where is the secrecy , the fear , the religious content of the old dark brotherhood ?

Level 20
Yay! Why don't we make a game with a bunch of incredible graphics to increase the gamesize by 2gb, and make it unable to play in most computers, those with less than 1024mb video card, 3gb ram, and something more advanced than i5 Intel Processor...

One of the main reasons I found really hard to play games like Halflife 2: I had to do it with lowest graphic, and it still was running like a B&W GameBoy. Felt like playing in a cellphone. Same with CounterStrike Source.

That's life. You do something good, after that your crap gets a better taste. Blizzardians are smart... They already have a lot of fans that will play their games just because they made them. Same happens with Nike's followers, or people that go and see a movie just because it's favorite actor is there. A bit "crappy", but that's life. They don't focus on introducing the last generation of graphics, and gameplay, and stuff. They just improve their last efforts over and over (Wc, Wc2, Wc3 - Sc, Sc2, DI, DII, DIII). Aren't that different, but slowly "grows" and that keeps people excited about the next release.

It's like Dota... A new version with a new hero, and you see thousands of people making guides, youtube videos, tournoments, leaving their wives, etc, just to do it, because it's an small improvement. It's like a Car with new tires... it's the same, but with new tires.

There're something really dumb in human nature... this is one of them :p

Level 13
Why? Why so much hate ? Tell me... If you're blizzard fan, stop hating other producents. Bethesda Softworks has epic RPG and stories, maybe they have problems with lightning, and sometimes "bugs" (mostly in oblivion) but now it's all changed. If you didn't notice, they changed engine they were running on. When game starts, it says "Bethesda Softworks" no more "Gamebyro". New engine is compilation.
Why you say worst characters ? You have more options then in "The Sims 1,2,3" or any other customizable games. All of them look nice, if you hate elves, your problem, everybody has his own kind of races that he likes, but don't say game suc*s. I really don't know why you nearly all who posted here "hiveworkshopers" hate game. It has ultra feature allowing you to have main and secondary hand, never seen in other RPGs. Mixing magic, enchating, mining, smelting everything in game, you can live without killing, just by mining if you want. Dragons are AI, fully AI you never know what they will do, it's beatiful to slain em. Killing Moves own too, first person or third person.
I'm so sad I can't play game on better graphics, my PC is old. But what I think about skyrim is that it rocks! 5/5
Now, make discussion like this, I mean seriously, stop posting comments of 5 words.
ex. I'll rather play sc2 then skyrim. Graphic sucks.
Explain why..
Probably this is one of my longest posts, but i don't care. I hope you will read this post.

Level 21
Ok so I read like 4 pages of this "skyrim sucks" stuff and that was just enough. I only have two complaints and they are firstly that it's such a console @@ed game which is why the interface is such bull** and the engine is crappier than it should've been.
---> On that note, the engine of Skyrim only uses 2GB ram no matter how much you have. You should probably get "4GB Skyrim" (google it) which will use (duh) 4GB and the game will run a **load better on higher settings.
My second complaint is the dark brotherhood armour. it's disgusting. and ridiculously strong

NOW!
Skyrim is absolutely amazing. I don't see how in the hell environments have been repetitive. I started my game and I was absolutely blown away directly by that start. The SKYRIM overlay on the snowy environs with the Nords around (who had decent voice acting!11) was impressive as hell. A bit further on, a goddamn dragon comes down from the heavens as I'm almost getting my head chopped off following a proper introduction to a story (100000 points over Oblivion's Captain Picard's telling you you're the chosen one. The Captain Picard part was great but the story? pff). The dragon then shouts something and off I go right into the action holy **!!!
I was grinning dumbly this whole time and throughout the entire intro because everything was so amazing. The fort? The cave? The dungeon? My spells?!?! Dual wielding combat + spells?!?!?!??!! So much fun over the ultra generic fantasy RPG that Oblivion is. I get out of the cave with my best mate Hadvar and the world is fucking amazing. It's absolutely beautiful, I don't care what you say about the graphics. Sure, they're not perfect but the engine and the detail of everything - I don't even care.
Hadvar continues to talk to me without his face consuming my world while the world is frozen otherwise and the fact he has good dialogue and stuff is just. Wow. There's a story in this game. And it's good. The guardian stones? YES! I can actually CHANGE my starsign and there's not one or two that are just OP like the Lover in Morrowind (unless you were an Argonian and got the steed, you were like a goddamn Kenyan) or the Thief & Warrior in Oblivion (that may just be because I cannot live with innate negatives from a born ability ok).
When I'm done having a chat with good old Uncle Hadvar, telling on some real dick called Sven for trying to trick the girl he likes and have interrupted the conversation of Lucan and his sister about the golden claw and offered to return it, I'm standing outside in the town of Riverwood and I'm still amazed. The environment is completely different. Again.
From here I'll just fast forward to some other environments and amazing places. The Nord ruin at Bleak Falls Barrow? Amazing. Every time. Catching salmon in river?! I was like a drunk 4 year old. On that note, rivers have currents - wow!
I will lodge a complaint here about the water though. When I first saw it in the caves, it was great, flowing round the rocks and looking absolutely awesome. Then I dove in...and was disappointed at the old horror of 2D planar water having returned from previous TES titles. I mean, seriously. Crysis NAILED the water in 2007 if it did nothing else, I was in love with their 3D water. If Skyrim had this, I would be a happy chappy.

But now, I was released into the wide world. I walked off from Riverwood. I saw salmon jumping in the waterfall down to the White River flowing away to Windhelm. I strode the great Whiterun Hold and encountered giants, mammoths, wolves, mudcrabs that were actually damn cool, I picked nirnroot from cool little puddles, I fought bandits at the Silent Moons Encampment and got enchanted weapons that worked at night time only. Deer and elk bolted away from me, as did rabbits and foxes. I was easily in love with this place. And there actually wasn't a single inch of snow around here either.
Then I decided to go to the College of Winterhold. I returned to the harsh snows of Skyrim, visited about 10 different, uniquely cool locations on the way, got lost several times and visited Windhelm, leaving quickly because I thought "what a bloody ghetto eh!". The fact that my first impression of that town was so strong just goes to show how well the world of Skyrim is made.
So I kept going on to Winterhold and eventually got there after being ambushed by bandits, fighting off bloody ice wraiths and wisp mothers (I fled from her admittedly..). I arrived in a snow-blown little village with guards yarning about the dangers of the College. So I had to cast a little light on the eye, and now I was inside the bloody magic College. Which I loved.
And this had taken me about 5 hours to get there, 0 seconds of boredom. 5 hours of absolute pure enjoyment. Because the best kind of game can provide ultimate escapism, and Skyrim does just that.

From the College, I went on to visit a Dwemer ruin INSIDE an ice cave. The first I saw of the ruin? It was on a 60 degree angle, I was walking on the walls. It was absolutely insane meeting dwarven spiders and those spheres again, seeing all the Dwemer bowls and all that ** which gave me spikes of excitement back in the days of Morrowind. And the end of the ruin? It looked like a solar system inside a cave. Amazing. Although later I discovered it was just a cave with fungus inside when I visited Blackreach. And was absolutely blown away from the start again. Crimson nirnroot?! I'll leave you to discover for yourself.
I accidentally picked up some burned book in the Winterhold College Arcaeneum and dropped it, thinking that the Orc librarian hadn't noticed. He didn't say anything. A while later, I walked out of a cave and some bandits ambushed me, saying they were "teaching me a lesson". Needless to say, I killed them and then got a note off one of them. That bloody librarian had hired them. Damn asshole.
Since becoming Archmage, I've also gotten drunk with some random, visited a town I've never been to which showed the massiveness of my wonderful world, I've gone looking for a dog which then TALKED to me and turned out to be part of a Daedric Prince, I've visited Sheogarath who is the champion of Cyrodil and done all sorts of **.
I've played 70 hours of Skyrim by now. And you know what? I haven't been bored one single bit. After all, I'm an old hook-nosed Breton master magician with the biggest muscles I've ever seen. And I haven't even talked about the dragons, Dwarven centurions, or the Nord I met in a Whiterun pub who sounded like the incarnation of Arnold Schwarzenegger from The Terminator and talked about how lazy the guards were in the city, or my other encounters with Daedric Princes like Hermaeus Mora etc etc.

<33 skyrim forevaaaaaaaa (until the next TES comes out hopefully)

oh - a few negatives? It's crashed randomly a few times (a numerous few admittedly) but because I quick save a lot and the game starts up in 4 seconds, I don't care. I can die walking into boulders but that's just a lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
tl;dr (i read 1st and 8th [aka this one] pages tho).

Graphics might be nice, gameplay may be better than oblivion, but combat sure as hell doesnt exactly seem too amazing (seeing my bro play - 2 dremora lords with 2x fire ball spells of some level, dont remember which. i feel like oblivion all over again.)

Story...what story? Even after all this hype (and researching), i dont really see any story. All i know is that you are the dragonborn and you are killing dragons (sources: asking people and doing research [nerd time!])

DLC coming soon(tm), same with GOTY edition.

Id say its a good game, probably not the best one ever made (like there would ever be one) but good time consumer.

now to wait for mods to increase the value from good to awesome (includes texture packs) - unless they make another BBB or such mods, then they can just go to hell.

(dibs for nehrim 2.)

PS: no, i did not buy the game. i wait for GOTY, because it seems like a waste of money to me to buy a game like that when there is 100% guaranteed DLC coming up.

Level 17
*derp*
nobody is really "hatin" the game here lol

and if there is some critique (majority of which is mine) it's based and objective
and just because I prefer to criticize instead of praise does not mean I hate the world
merely means I find praise worthless and de-constructive

I have spent dozens of hours with the game myself, there were times I wanted to punch the wall cause of the half-arsed ui or magic-related quirks that the game is plagued with but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the game as a whole

besides 20 pages of "omfgzuz this game is awesome" is no discussion
but post hunting and killing time at most

Level 8
and just totally random side-note.. nobody found it funny that skyrim has no dragons at all ? and what bethesda claims to be dragons are actually wyverns.
shame bethesda shame

guess majority doesn't even know what a wyvern is let alone differentiate it lol.
and obviously the nords were too dumb to differentiate as well, most likely because dragons in nordic mythology are almost non-existent.

what Dragons are and how they should look in THEIR fictional world is up to them to decide. stereotypical dragons are not necessarily good dragons. I like the way they were designed.

I've had little trouble with bugs. clipping issues here and there (bow & arrows) but other then that nothing major.

I've seen many people complain about to wide open basin in the middle of skyrim. Ever been to a tundra? well, that pretty much how it looks.

for people complaining about lack of interesting stuff I also have a few things to say. SLOW DOWN, skyrim is a game you have to play slowly. Don't rush the main story but explore, talk to every NPC and stack up them interesting quests.
heck you can even play tag with the children in Riverwood (I spent 30min doing that xD)

Level 11
Congrats on this thread being in the notifications!
Sadly this SHOULDN'T be in the notifications. This is a Blizzard-Oriented site, but hey, things seem to change.

Oh, since everybody is giving a review, I think I might as well as give one.
I was looking forward to this game too, so don't yell at me for being 'negative'.
I own Skyrim on the PS3.

Rating system:
1 is cake.
2 is bad.
3 is average.
4 is good.
5 is what this game's hype is.

STORYLINE: 2.5/5
I am level ~25 and so far, the only storyline I've gotten from the game is "You chosen one. You kill big flying lizards."
I haven't found any major "plot changers" other than when you choose a side, so this won't compare to games like Dragon Age.
There's no character development (other than leveling up) so this doesn't compare to games like Shadow of the Colossus. Sure, you do menial tasks for people and become more famous, but honestly, is this new at all? Didn't you do the same thing in Oblivion? I was hoping for something that would be outside of this box.

GRAPHICS: 3.5/5
The biggest thing that people seem to forget is that this game is realistic about the scenery. UP NORTH, IN REAL LIFE, THE SCENERY IS EXTREMELY REPETITIVE. I give them kudos for making it as unrepetitive as they did. The mountains are gorgeous from away and surprisingly realistic, up close you can see where they patched rocks together and it looks bad. I like the small cuts you receive as your life drops, and as you heal they fade away. There are some models and textures they seemed to leave unloved, like the grass and the blood when someone is decapitated.
I still don't understand why people complain so much about the character looks and what not, the average population aren't supermodels, so the characters shouldn't all be 'gorgeous'.
The graphics don't compare to games like God of War 3, but they're manageable.

LAG/GLITCHES: 2/5
Oh god. So. Many. Glitches. They clearly did not thoroughly test the game out. The physics system is terrible. Heck, at least the engine seems to work fairly well. I haven't experienced any combat lag, and I've been in fights where there's ~20 guards. The loading works pretty well as there aren't major delays when entering new rooms, but I do receive a small lag when opening up my inventory which is a nuisance.

COMBAT: 3/5
Now, Oblivion isn't a combat based game, so its unrealistic to compare it to games like Devil May Cry or Demon's Souls. The magic two-handing is a nice addition and relatively fresh, but it doesn't have any "effects". Sure, when you use fire they burn, ice their stamina is reduced, lightning no magic, etc. but there's no real value in combining effects. For example, in Dragon Age (I bring it up again) you could cast a fire spell on a grease trap and it'd ignite. There's nothing like that in Skyrim. There's no real bonus for combining spells and seeing what happens, just the damage/duration increases.
The melee combat is decent, I still don't feel "heavy" when using weapons, the animations are improved but they aren't amazing. The killing blows are nothing worth mentioning - they've been around for a long time. (Devil May Cry was the first game I played that had those, and the killing blows were on you, not the enemies.)

SOUND 4/5
Very good overall, the voice acting was pretty good, I've only seen a few faults in it and considering how many characters are in the game, that's nothing major. The music isn't half bad either, it could be more variant. I dunno, I always want something on par with Banjo Kazooie.

Overall I'd rate it a 3.5/5. There's a shitton of hype about how massive the game is. My bias about that is that I want a game I can play, not a game I can grind.

Level 14
Sadly this SHOULDN'T be in the notifications. This is a Blizzard-Oriented site, but hey, things seem to change.

I just want to congratulate the thread,still thinking that it's pretty offtopic... then why is there a notification that there is a deviantart group on the hive? deviantart isn't even associated to blizz

Level 11
I just want to congratulate the thread,still thinking that it's pretty offtopic... then why is there a notification that there is a deviantart group on the hive? deviantart isn't even associated to blizz

That's associated to the site. Ralle made the group, so naturally he'd advertise it. This notification could be an attempt to make this a more "community" based site.
Further discussion of this should be made into another thread, I don't want to derail this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.