• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim ! {lulz?^^}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
@Pyritie
modding their game into something better, obviously.
besides I never claimed not to be one of those mindless followers they live off, lol.
I just dislike starcraft and the blatantly half-arssed manner they are producing Diablo III in.

@Dr Super Good
this is pretty much it, I'm big fan of gothic (risen counts too) series that taught you to use the quicksave button more frequently than the left mouseclick.
It does not seem to be the case in Skyrim though as I didn't have to face any kind of significant challenge so far.
That being said I find the lack of direction suffocating, inb4 contradicting statement.
And slowly losing the interest in the game, oh well it is still educational in some ways.

and I think "It all feels so random... sure there are a lot of things to do but you're all alone! " kinda sums it up for me.

and @Tyranid
I actually have problems getting back into the game after alt+tab out, sometimes it doesnt want to to respond and sometimes it goes in for a split second, then I get to the desktop again.

and one more thing, is it just me or the game is really quiet ? I have voices on max and can barely hear what the characters mumble about if I'm not standing right under their nose. I do raise my general sounds only to have my eardrums killed off by the irc's alerts.

Level 17
I think its incomparably easier compared to games such as Risen or Gothic or action rpgs like Monster hunter, I did have to reload a couple of times but that wouldn't be something I'd consider a significant challenge.
also "hard" in a way that enemies are agile/unpredictable/have very little openings, not hard in a way that you can't beat an enemy just because your lvl is too low. that isn't hard, it's just a level scaling mechanic.
and to put it frankly from my point of view success/survivability in skyrim is very loosely based on player's skills as that is rarely a deciding factor.

and one thing I have to praise skyrim for is that default quicksave/load are far enough from each other, in other games it happened a few times that I quickloaded on mistake only because the buttons were right next to each other, besides do you need to load reaallyy that quick ?

Level 12
well, graphix are okay. But that game interface when you tab and open inventory/menu and stuff don't suit skyrim at all, I think. It's more like fallout-ish more than elder scroll-ish. Oblivion interface was way better because it absolutely gives a medieval vibe.
Also, anyone else here irritated because of stats/class, custom spell creation and stuff removal here? I'm really irritated.
And I didn't like the idea of dungeons being fixed when you enter at a certain level.

Level 31
hEllo guys im a tEeenager who has a rich sokccer mom and she bouggt me bateifld 3 and cCRYsis and graFic so good minecraft Suck grafic Sucks in taht game dont buy. Also Skyrim grafic Suck not even Close 2 crySis sobad game Hate it. Hate hate. Never Seene So Many ugly CharActers til I went 2 the AniMe ConvEntIon. gameplay is Ok tho

Level 37
hEllo guys im a tEeenager who has a rich sokccer mom and she bouggt me bateifld 3 and cCRYsis and graFic so good minecraft Suck grafic Sucks in taht game dont buy. Also Skyrim grafic Suck not even Close 2 crySis sobad game Hate it. Hate hate. Never Seene So Many ugly CharActers til I went 2 the AniMe ConvEntIon. gameplay is Ok tho

What the hell is this? Are you drunk or just screwing us around?

Graphics it's the last concern. Not because it's not important, but unless it uses some very custom indie graphic engine, it's always possible to make an overhaul, plenty of games have graphic enhancement mods. Gameplay issues, like adding a new weapons (new types, not just shinier versions of existing ones!), ridable/drivable stuff and other major tweaks are very hard to add and if the developers screw here, it's pretty much all fucked.

Level 48
I was reading the thread, and I was somewhat tolerating Talavaj... But then I saw this:
wc3 was just starcraft in 3d and starcraft 2 is just warcraft 3 in better 3d.

I'm really sorry, and I mean you no offense, but...
You're an **.

But I have to agree on the menus in Skyrim, here:

I freaking hate skyrim's menu and the fact that neither fullscreen nor windowed mode allows you to go desktop no matter what kind of athletic stunt you do doesn't help either. It really is a bad xbox port.

But as for your second problem, uhhh...
Alt+tab? Seems to work fine for me. To go back to the game, just alt+tab to Skyrim twice, instead of only once. Yeah, I don't like how little effort they put into porting Skyrim from XBOX to PC, but the story, gameplay and everything else(Yes, even the graphics) are epic.

I just dislike starcraft and the blatantly half-arssed manner they are producing Diablo III in.

Half-arsed manner...?
I'm sorry, but did you see the Blizzcon panel about how they made the Black Soulstone cinematic? If anything, at least the cinematics are VERY well produced. It took them like, literally, YEARS to make a single cinematic. Their "work-flow" is very, very slow, and tedious, but extremely effective in the end, and very detailed. My guess is that they first write every single cinematic, dialog line, character, setting, unit, building, etc in a game; And then they develop it one by one over the course of something like 4-7 years. That was, I think, the case with SC2, and possibly Diablo 3. Of course, they are free to make tweaks and changes as they work.

also "hard" in a way that enemies are agile/unpredictable/have very little openings, not hard in a way that you can't beat an enemy just because your lvl is too low. that isn't hard, it's just a level scaling mechanic.

I don't know if that's my playstyle here, but as a lightly armored, sneaky, bow-using character, I have to quicksave and load a LOT of times. Many times, it's simply because I want to kill everyone in a 'perfect' way, e.g, one by one, without being detected at all. But in the majority of the cases, if I DO get detected by a moderately-powerful enemy(I'm a level 22, a Cave Bear or a Bandit Highwayman are rather dangerous to me), I'm pretty much dead. Sure, I have my Fire Breath Thu'um and my dual daggers, but those crazy, heavily armored, 2 handed axe wielding maniacs hit like a truck. I don't really have a chance to slice them up fast enough, and shooting with a bow is just too slow(despite dealing much more damage).

What the hell is this? Are you drunk or just screwing us around?

As he writes like that in every post, I believe it's the later.

I'm pretty sure that he, rather successfully, summed this thread up.

---

Okay, since I'm finally done reading this thread... (FYI, my thread-reading 'technique' is to go post by post and reply to interesting stuff while I still remember what I want to say about it, and post as soon as I have anything else written down. Then I edit my post as I continue reading the thread and encountering more interesting quotes. At least, that's what I do when I start reading a thread 'from scratch'.)
Personally, I think Skyrim is amazing. The only problem I encountered so far is placing stuff in your house. I have a house in Whiterun, and as far as I can tell, if I just drop an item and move it around by holding "E", then save and load, the item comes back to the exact position it was when I dropped it. This means I cannot really decorate my house, at all, asides from putting stuff inside chests, or dropping random items in random places for no apparent reason. This makes me very sad. :(
I kind of wanted to have Pelagius' Hip Bone and a couple of Mammoth and Horker tusks on some table, an Amulet of Talos near my bed(to show that I'm a believer of Talos, and a proud Stormcloak, and I don't give a shit about those imperial bastards), some clothes lying around on my end-tables and cupboards, and some nice dishes I collected from various locations in my kitchen, as well as some delicious food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 17
oh, tell me in what does sc, wc3 and sc2 differ in(other than the setting and graphics, obviously) heck wc3 was nothing groundbreaking and changed absolutely nothing regarding the gameplay/mechanics/formula of how the rts used to be before, and sc2 is exactly the same.

I have to agree that black soul stone looks decent even though its hardly anything ingenious, it's still a c-c-combbo breaker after the combo of utterly ugly uninteresting and boring cinematics they produced since the burning crusade (teh demon hunter anybody ?)
at least the cinematics are VERY well produced.
- I loled.
cause one fancy cinematic sure is an excuse why the game graphics look like from 2006 and why it takes a decade for them to finish a game that will look like a piece of history once it comes out, right ?

and back to Skyrim, the thing I hate the most (other than poorly ported interface) is the fact the game forces you to travel through the whole damn world just to pick up a story quest. at least this they could refrain from. if the environments would be at least fun to watch then ok, but they are all the same ugly forest and rocks and snow in a couple shades of grey/brown/green.

Level 48
I'll only reply to Skyrim-related stuff from now on, since this is, after all, a Skyrim thread, not a 'Blizzard sucks' thread.

and back to Skyrim, the thing I hate the most (other than poorly ported interface) is the fact the game forces you to travel through the whole damn world just to pick up a story quest. at least this they could refrain from. if the environments would be at least fun to watch then ok, but they are all the same ugly forest and rocks and snow in a couple shades of grey/brown/green.

Then you obviously didn't explore enough. The game is full of random and non-random events(revelers, merchants, thieves threatening your life, sick refugees, headless horsemen, bandits blockading a road, etc), interesting locations(Just recently I found some kind of a pit with a treasure chest inside, 'protected' by a metal grate that can only be opened after solving some kind of puzzle), and overall, the world DOES look a lot better in Oblivion. Oblivion looked so bad, I just HAD to fast-travel everywhere because honestly, there was nothing interesting to see in the world. Skyrim, on the other hand; I pretty much vowed not to fast-travel, ever, because the world is beautiful and fast-travel ruins your RPG experience.
Perhaps you demand Crysis-level graphics because you're a rich, spoiled brat with an epic computer that can handle 2016's best games on the highest graphic settings, but some of us(me included) prefer games that have a balance between system requirements and graphics. I was forced to play Oblivion in a 800x600 resolution(no, my monitor wasn't THAT small, I simply couldn't run it on any higher resolution without it lagging like hell) on the most minimal graphics because I had a very, VERY bad computer. Now, I have a new, decent computer that I bought simply because I couldn't stand SC2's Low graphics and because my computer was getting quite old. Now I have what I personally call a good computer(that's pretty much the best my dad can afford, assuming he buys 2 - one for himself, one for me. Which he did.). It runs SC2 on High-Ultra graphics(some of the settings, like lighting and shadows, on medium), and Skyrim on Medium-High graphics(Reflections off, Shadows on Medium, that light\bloom related option on Medium, rest on High\Ultra), and I'm pretty damn satisfied. The world looks awesome and my computer is certainly good enough for my taste. If Skyrim had Crysis-level graphics, I probably would've been forced to play on the lowest graphics, and that ALWAYS looks bad, no matter how awesome the graphics are when maxed out.

Reactions: HFR
Level 37

Actually I like the terrain.

Here are some screenshots from my game.

Attachments

• TESV 2011-11-13 13-42-32-34.jpg
    TESV 2011-11-13 13-42-32-34.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 293
  • TESV 2011-11-13 13-43-10-24.jpg
    TESV 2011-11-13 13-43-10-24.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 164
  • TESV 2011-11-13 16-00-42-31.jpg
    TESV 2011-11-13 16-00-42-31.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 336
  • TESV 2011-11-14 22-35-26-23.jpg
    TESV 2011-11-14 22-35-26-23.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 385
  • TESV 2011-11-15 00-28-27-35.jpg
    TESV 2011-11-15 00-28-27-35.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 312

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I found these pictures to be incredibly awesome graphics-wise. Perhaps I'm not spoiled enough.
They look like crap compared to TES Oblivion due to his low settings. Infact a game like anno 2070 which is not even a high budget production and is a RTS beat the screenshots graphicly. Please delete the old screenshots and some new ones at maximum settings to stop people getting the wrong idea.

Level 37
Well actually that was "the second best quality". I just didn't have antialiasing at all and my shadow quality was poor. Also there were something else but I don't remember what.

Here's one more picture with everything in highest quality.

Attachments

• TESV 2011-11-16 22-43-39-76.jpg
    TESV 2011-11-16 22-43-39-76.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 354
Level 27
Well it aint 1080 now is it =p

I run it at 1080 and textures and everything on high but i don't have that much view distance and no AA and just like 2 texture sampling or maybe zero.

I must say i've changed my mind on this game, I am pretty hooked right now. I decided to give the game a chance and do the first quest because I couldn't do anything in the begin so it ran me through a dungeon and I loved it!

When i finished it i was offcourse a lot stronger and had some gold to spend so could finaly properly defend myself against bandits and such. I must say that as i progressed through the game all the systems i encountered with enchanting and alchemy and such make it a whole other experience than oblivion (which i stopped because i was somewhat bored with it). Offcourse the whole interface - for example whie leveling up - may be a bit clumsy and big but as you use it more often you get used to it and everything goes pretty smooth with it. The only complaint i could have is the armor and weapons equipment, it has no charachter preview and such... but at least you can view your character in third person.

Meh, I'm now level 8. Combine destruction magic with melee combat and just got a lot of gold from a quest through a dungeon and ended up buying a horse.

Yeah this game is a whole lot different for me than morrowind or oblivion. Which i both tried but couldn't get into. As for the graphics, it's very pretty. Although i wished they wouldn't leave spaces behind city-walls blank while you're in them.

BTW, also the fact that after your first major quest you get the title of Thane and are rewarded with a bodyguard (or whatever) makes you not feel like a nobody at all. You feel a lot more like having a purpose, Skyrim seems to be a lot more epic (yes that word) than morrowind or oblivion.

Now let me return to my sesssion =p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Those visuals are very dissapointing... This is a game being released this weekend and look at its visuals.

Do keep in mind that TES - Skyrim, sucessor to TES - Oblivion an award winning game and best seller, probably had an unbelivably large budget compared to Anno 2070, part of a series that only has decent sales in Germany.

Those visuals are very dissapointing... This is a game being released this weekend and look at its visuals.

Do keep in mind that TES - Skyrim, sucessor to TES - Oblivion an award winning game and best seller, probably had an unbelivably large budget compared to Anno 2070, part of a series that only has decent sales in Germany.

But did that really even come as a surprise? What more could you expect from a console port? Horrible UI due to inferior controllers and abysmal graphics due to hardware restrictions.

Level 27

Ehm i've played that demo and i could run it at the most high settings, while i can't do that with Skyrim. But that screenshot doesn't look good.

Level 17
Ok to not be all that negative nancy here are some screens of the early parts of the game on my workstation computer. (ultra, max drawing distance, distant detail ultra 8x AA 16x anisotropic) the environments look good from distance, very empty and dull once you actually get there. the game doesn't look all that horrible, my complaint is that the map is spacious, but filled with dull and repetitive designs needlessly big basin in middle of the map that is just freaking grass of the orangeish tone with some puddles of water and streams that pour out of nowhere... and while the mountains do give off a majestic feel the rest does not, it suffers from poor variety of vegetation and themes and some of the foliage/tile quality is really poor.
see the pic of the basin with mudcrabs to see what I'm talking about.

also these settings do drop below 30 fps in character immense scenes (usually 50~60 though)
but I have to praise the wildlife *got seriously impressed by random weird fish that came out of nowhere to stare at me, last pic had to take it* (here comes a quirk though, stuff in the water doesn't really look like it's in the water)

Attachments

• tesv 2.jpg
    tesv 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 318
  • tesv 3.jpg
    tesv 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
  • tesv 4.jpg
    tesv 4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 691
  • tesv 5.jpg
    tesv 5.jpg
    961.1 KB · Views: 166
  • tesv 1.jpg
    tesv 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,810
  • fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 881
  • tes 7.jpg
    tes 7.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,101
Last edited:
Level 48
is it possible to have more than 1 wife/husband

You can have a wife? o_O

They look like crap compared to TES Oblivion due to his low settings. Infact a game like anno 2070 which is not even a high budget production and is a RTS beat the screenshots graphicly. Please delete the old screenshots and some new ones at maximum settings to stop people getting the wrong idea.

Oh god, you must be some sort of spoiled brat... Or, an old man who has a decent job and can afford to buy himself a computer more often than once in three years. Or you just have some really epic specs for no apparent reason. :|
That game looks AMAZING compared to, say, World of Warcraft and Warcraft III and Starcraft II, and that is honestly more than enough for me. I would play it if the graphics were 'as bad' as Oblivion, because graphics really don't matter. :|

Those screenshots the OP posted... It looks like you didn't explore all that much at all. That's the starting zone, the area around Whiterun(The first city you reach), and a view of the 'capital' city in Skyrim, Solitude. As you advance and do more quests, you go further away, and explore a lot of interesting landscapes. The caves and dungeons are particularly amazing, but the outside world is pretty by itself. There's lots of mushrooms, and flowers, and other plants that you can actually collect\harvest, there are occasional points of interest(dungeons, special 'puzzle' places that give you treasure as a reward, lone shacks or small villages, etc), and if you think the whole game has the same 'orange grass green trees blue water' look, you're wrong. Honestly, out of all the places, the area around Whiterun looks the worst to me. It's very plain. All other places look awesome. I cannot post screenshots, sadly, because of some kind of issue preventing me from screenshoting in full-screen applications(if you know the case, please do tell me).

I don't know, but it seems that the XBOX 360 version has better graphics than it has max on PC. But then again, it was EXCLUSIVE for 360, now wasn't it ?
And no, it's not because my TV is good, as it is only a Panasonic Color TV. I don't even have HD, and thus I have yet to see the good view on the 360 version.
That much for graphics.

Gameplay wise, the game's been perfect so far. The perk tree is pretty nice idea, and the crafting opportunities the game gives. Combat is absolutely great, it is harder and better implemented than in previous games of Bethesda. I probably cannot say further of Gameplay without spoiling you all, but what I can say is a rating of 9½/10 for now, takes my vote for Game of the Year.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Oh god, you must be some sort of spoiled brat... Or, an old man who has a decent job and can afford to buy himself a computer more often than once in three years. Or you just have some really epic specs for no apparent reason. :|
My computer is going on 2 years of age and is prety dated. Only a 275 GTX and some old I7 model. It pales compared to the DX11 graphic cards of today with the hex cores of today so it is far from top range.

That game looks AMAZING compared to, say, World of Warcraft and Warcraft III and Starcraft II, and that is honestly more than enough for me. I would play it if the graphics were 'as bad' as Oblivion, because graphics really don't matter. :|
The fact you are comparing it to WC3, a 7 year old RTS, WoW, a 5 year old MMORPG and SC2, a year old RTS aimed at user base rather than graphic quality just emphisises how crap the graphics in the game must be. The PSVita can do graphics far better than the WC3 and probably even WoW and that is a handheld console.

The fact is the visuals of Skyrim are not noticably better than Oblivion. They might be more pollished due to years more experience but they are far from breathtaking for a PC game. Noticable lacks in its visuals are textures (you can easilly see that most surfaces lack sharpness or have inconsistant sharpness) and trees (they still look like some planes stuch around a sort of cylinder shape instead of real folliage). I admit that lighting has improved (more realistic) and so has LoD (now it actually approximates the reality instead of being some random model placed haphazardly near where an object should be.

Level 48
Look, I really, really don't care. Anytime it's 3D and doesn't look like crap, it's fine.
Graphics do not matter in the slightest, unless they are REALLY bad. Skyrim's graphics are not 'really' bad. They may be a little bit outdated, or not up to your stupidly high standards(a 2 year old computer is not dated, it's new :|), but they do not look bad. Oblivion does not look bad either, and Skyrim looks better, so...

But if you DO care about the graphics. Oblivion was notorious for it's terrible faces and character models. Skyrim improves on that a lot. That's enough for me. No need for the Beautiful Women mod, they're good enough already.

Who cares. It's good enough to play on my laptop and that's all I ask for.

this!

But if you DO care about the graphics. Oblivion was notorious for it's terrible faces and character models. Skyrim improves on that a lot. That's enough for me. No need for the Beautiful Women mod, they're good enough already.

and the khajiit look all fuzzy and huggable this time :3

Level 17
ok I lost nerves after I got stuck in geometry for like fifth time today, Skyrim is a game that makes "AAA" game into a derogatory term and should have been in QA for at least one year longer.
have fun pretending its 9,5/10 game

and no seriously, the fact there is a handy console that can teleport you within seconds is not an excuse for the bugfest that skyrim is.
but yeah its a good way to travel this needlessly big and empty world.

Level 17
because we don't know that "game reviews" are nothing more just commerce and boosting sales, right ?
besides that "opinion" is of a one person whose opinion is as objective and valuable as mine (except that nobody paid me to give it 9,5 out of 10)

ironically nowadays, player scores are drastically lower than the "critics" score, errhh.. because 71 people are bound to matter more than 1000 right ? and because those 71 are paid for giving their opinion it makes their opinion more objective and refined right.

Level 23
besides that "opinion" is of a one person whose opinion is as objective and valuable as mine (except that nobody paid me to give it 9,5 out of 10)

I am wondering why he gets paid for it though and you do not.

What I am really on about: Your rather aggressive way of argumentation does seem rather subjective and easy to counter as you can see with that link. Just because you do not agree with the view of many many others - including many others that ARE indeed qualified game reviewers - does not mean that AGGRESSIVE posts make your point more valid or right.

Level 22
ok I lost nerves after I got stuck in geometry for like fifth time today, Skyrim is a game that makes "AAA" game into a derogatory term and should have been in QA for at least one year longer.
have fun pretending its 9,5/10 game

Have fun pretending your opinion is factual.

ironically nowadays, player scores are drastically lower than the "critics" score, errhh.. because 71 people are bound to matter more than 1000 right ? and because those 71 are paid for giving their opinion it makes their opinion more objective and refined right.

The user scores on metacritic are 85, 87 and 88. That's not drastically lower. And the people who do give the game a 0 are the ones complaining about the lack of online. They're hard to take seriously.

Level 15
I really don't care about the graphics,the game makes me feel like it is real,there is so much detail at little things.
The mining,the crafting,so much things to do in Skyrim.
Btw,¿anybody knows the Weakness of that Dwemer robots? they beat me easily.

Level 17
yeah seriously, I tried everything dragging clicking mouse wheeling home,end,pg up with cursor over item, without with enlarged view, arrow keys (smashing dozen of keys at once) it just won't rotate nor zoom

as for bugs I seem to get stuck in random boulders awfully often, partially to blame myself as I jump off mountains in err attempt to shortcut.
but I did get stuck in some boulders even within a dungeon and I wasn't doing anything extraordinary

@M0rbid
I'm a perfectionist, and yeah my argumentation is what others would call being aggressive but
I'd beg to differ about the subjectivity of my arguments as I attempt to be objective at all costs.
Besides how subjective is criticizing of a rather serious glitch (I had to actually use console and teleport away) which would not be so much of a pain if it didn't occur on seemingly not so rare basis in an AAA title whose budget would drag the whole population of Uganda out of poverty.
did you even see the horse glitch ? and you're telling me this game had any kind of quality assurance to begin with, it has even more glitches than first gothic.
I mean, try equip a spell A and a spell B in your right and left hand and end up the way you wanted it, good luck.

and something that just popped into my mind, is anybody a vampire or a werewolf ? I find the vampire to have more disadvantages than the werewolf, and the werewolf seems to be more handy overall.

and lol, since when are opinions factual ?

Last edited:
Level 17
when you press c it displays just the item in middle of the screen (yeah the result of the button mashing), trying to rotate/zoom in there does the same though (jack shit), at least for me.

and seriously college of the winterhold is just epic, it's atmospheric, has great presentation and the three novices are some of the most interesting characters I've ran into.
and I think I said that before, but whoever made this UI should be shot. and seriously I don't believe this game was tested, or it was but bethesda decided that they can't afford to fix bug another half a year now that they said it will be released on the fancy 11th of the 11th, we will release 20 patches after, who cares the game will be nigh unplayable right ?
if people actually cared, they would be sued by now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.