• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dreamvale 2.0i

DREAMVALE - Download
Date: 2010
Genre(s): Tactics CRPG
Players: 1-4

Time passes for all, but for those who dream, time is eternal.
And so within the walls of an ancient city, the brave and the insane descend into a sea of dreams.
Where men never wake and time stands still.

Overview
Build a team of heroes and battle through 7 levels of arcade-y mayhem to escape the land of your nightmares.

Author's Notes
If you like tactical combat, but dislike everything else about RPG's, you may like this.
Just maybe.
It's not very good.

- As there will unlikely be anymore updates, Ive rolled-back the map to the last fully working version.

Keywords:
Dreamvale, Dream, Warchasers, Jungle, Green, Dungeon, Ruins, Dungeon Crawler
Contents

Dreamvale 2.0i (Map)

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
I have played this map with another friend of mine on "Test" difficulty because we got owned on "Easy" :p. The map is pretty neat, with nice terrain and pretty well explained story. I'll put up a small review along with suggestions.

[+]: Positive treat.
[-]: Negative treat / Bug.
[=]: Neutral treat. Could be improved.
: Suggestion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[+]: Well explained abilities, many custom ones.
[+]: The stat improving system, each level is nice and brings nice balance.
[+]: We can easiliy understand the story.
[+]: Cool terrain.
[+]: We don't loose if we die. If an ally is alive we can still continue to play.
[+]: Amasing bosses with nice systems. :thumbs_up:
[+]: Each level has bonus objectives.

[-]: Gold isn't used in any way. Atleast I didn't find any.
[-]: Some messages show up really fast and we couldn't catch up with them. This resulted in death...

[=]: When the obelisks at the first level die, their model appears again after a few seconds. Nothing special though.

: A Tip should be given at the beginning of the game that if one player enters the gate, the level starts for everyone. My friend was checking up the fountains for items, but I started the level cause I didn't know it will start for him too.

Hero-specific stuff:
1.)We played with Stone Sentinel (My friend) and Smoldering Scion (Me).
2.)Appearently my friend has a knockback ability which seems to push the golem images at the furnace level.
3.)Smoldering Scion has a reincarnation which can be restored pretty fast. I'd recommend increasing the number of Ember Shards required to reincarnate.

I think that's all that comes up to my mind right now. Great job! I will rate 4/5! :thumbs_up:

Level 23
[=]: When the obelisks at the first level die, their model appears again after a few seconds. Nothing special though.

Im trying to find the root cause of this, but its not really a top priority bug since it really has no effect gameplay wise.

[-]: Gold isn't used in any way. Atleast I didn't find any.
Buying consumables.

[-]: Some messages show up really fast and we couldn't catch up with them. This resulted in death...
Are there any specific ones I should look at?

: A Tip should be given at the beginning of the game that if one player enters the gate, the level starts for everyone. My friend was checking up the fountains for items, but I started the level cause I didn't know it will start for him too.

Will note.

2.)Appearently my friend has a knockback ability which seems to push the golem images at the furnace level.
Bug noted, Ill fix it soon enough.

3.)Smoldering Scion has a reincarnation which can be restored pretty fast. I'd recommend increasing the number of Ember Shards required to reincarnate.

Aduinn is by far the squishiest of all characters ingame, he has only 1 very weak defensive skill. In order to keep him going, his reincarnation needs to recharge very fast, its his only real defence.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
1.)Im trying to find the root cause of this, but its not really a top priority bug since it really has no effect gameplay wise.

2.)Are there any specific ones I should look at?

1.) I think it can easilily be fixed with a simple trigger.

[trigger=My Trigger]Obelisk
Events
Unit - A unit dies
Conditions
Unit type of (Dying Unit) equal to Obelisk
Actions
Remove (Dying Unit) from the game[/trigger]

2.)Rather make the text messages displaying quest objectives last longer. That way we won't have to open the quest log to read what quest message just popped, while he beats us up. :)

When we acquired the quest for the Golems level, the quest objectives dissapeared fast. When we opened the quest log, all that was written there were the abilities of the bosses and we had to complete the level by luck. (We didn't know what to do).

Make the quest objectives that show up when a quest is acquired last longer. 3-4 seconds seems ok. :thumbs_up:

Level 23
1.) I think it can easilily be fixed with a simple trigger.

Cant do that. Simply because there is continue mode implemented and the corpses of dead units need to be refrenced for alevel reset.

2.)Rather make the text messages displaying quest objectives last longer. That way we won't have to open the quest log to read what quest message just popped, while he beats us up. :)

When we acquired the quest for the Golems level, the quest objectives dissapeared fast. When we opened the quest log, all that was written there were the abilities of the bosses and we had to complete the level by luck. (We didn't know what to do).

Make the quest objectives that show up when a quest is acquired last longer. 3-4 seconds seems ok

Will do.

Level 3
The problem with the Obelisks might be that they don't have a corpse animation, or something like that. So, it plays the death animation, and once that finishes, there is no decay possible so it resets to Stand.

If obelisks even have animations...not sure.

Level 23
The problem with the Obelisks might be that they don't have a corpse animation, or something like that. So, it plays the death animation, and once that finishes, there is no decay possible so it resets to Stand.

If obelisks even have animations...not sure.

They are scripted to be hidden on death, so thats not the problem either.

Reactions: GLB
Level 3
Really well made map. Really like the fluidity of the gameplay, however me and my friend found a gamebreaking bug that wouldn't let us advance.

In the third dungeon, we tried to kill the first mini-boss, and in the process wiped out all the adds. He would never unburrow again after that, and the adds ceased to spawn. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but great map nonetheless.

Level 3
I played this map months ago and my friend and i got stuck at the same boss as peachypenguin. Boss was burrowed and moving but even after 3-5 mins he wasnt coming to the surface, so we had to quit. Apart from that it seemed like a really nice map.

edit: Did you increase the difficulty of the map in comparison to version of ca. 6 months ago? Now my friend an I cant even get past the 1st lvl, we are hardly able to kill 1 of the obelisk, there are just too many spawns..

Last edited:
Level 5
Demon hunter , recovery skills bug , it seem it always recovey in act 2 without using spells.

Also, why u remove the naga flower ? . . i think it's a good ideal hero than the archmage.

Level 2
Im sorry but how can i pass stage 3 ?

It said s.thing will apper if its near Jolan, but me and my friends playing this map for hours in this stage, killing bunch of wolves, troll and ect -.-

But still nothing happen :(

Can u give some suggest ?

Oh btw that Jolan keeps moving in those trees, wont step out of it, so i cant see any "invisible spirit " to kill -.-

Sr 4 my bad En :D

Last edited:

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
Hi, I've tested your map. It is quite good. There are some small mistakes but nothing stopping you from a very quality production.

• Drained glyph says "purchase glyphs at blue fountain" but actually they're purchased at the green one.
  • I suggest warning players that drained glyph does nothing and they should upgrade it.
  • It can be frustrating that items can't be moed from slot to slot due to hotkeys. There are other ways to prevent players from dropping items :)
  • Blaze of Glory (item) says "Eneies" (should be enemies)

That's all I can find so far. Character design was original and nice, and everything feels very complete. I vote 5* and nominate for Director's Cut.

There is one more problem that Cokemonkey left out. The problem was mentioned by Fr33dom Justice.

In the third stage, Jolan's movement is bugged. He appears in the lower right corner, and then walks upwards. He ends up in the upper border of the playable area, somewere in the forest and the buildings, going left and right. This is not a one-time bug.

Please, fix this, it is simply unplayable.

After all the hard work you had invested into this, I think that it is simply wrong for such a beautiful creation ruined by such a small mistake.

Other than that, there are small flaws, like the Obelisk animations, but overall, it's a 5/5 map with potential for 6/5 :D

Level 23
There is one more problem that Cokemonkey left out. The problem was mentioned by Fr33dom Justice.

In the third stage, Jolan's movement is bugged. He appears in the lower right corner, and then walks upwards. He ends up in the upper border of the playable area, somewere in the forest and the buildings, going left and right. This is not a one-time bug.

It is a known bug, the source of which is still unknown.
To be honest I don't have the motivation to update this or finish the revamped version.

Level 23
It's not that easy.

Its not a very well paced map tbh.
It only seems hard because the amount of new info is rather overwhelming at first.

I didn't find any regeneration spot.
Every hero has innate heals and a very rapid regen rate. Susnt much of a problem, Id argue theres even too much.

Crashes on load game in multiplayer.
Not really a priority fix, map is less than an hour long anyway.

I appreciate your feedback, but in the end the map is a product of its time. I do not have plans to update it in a major way.