• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Does modern music still make sense?

Does music make sense anymore?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Most pop lyrics are nonsense:

"10000 lightbulbs taught me how to dance"

"I dun wanna be a superman"x1000

And many others, but I can't remember them. It's either 1 line which gets repeated 1000 times or it's a lyric which doesn't make any sense.

Level 26
singer-songwriter music tends to make sense...even nowadays. There is also a big difference wether the music is suppost to be purely commercial like "pitbull" or not. And good lyrics are also ofter a key to create a successful song.

Level 11
When it comes to modern rock music, there is none (IMO)

Rap/Pop : seems to be the most popular hit today

Techno : still groovy :p hehe

As everyone has said, it depends on the artist

A lot of pop is very commercial and only needs to be catchy as many people don't really pay much attention to lyrics aside from the chorus, thus people release things that make little sense.

Outside of that, there's many artists actually trying to make a point with their lyrics.

Really even if the lyrics don't make sense, that's not reason to not like the song - there's many other aspects that make a song a good song - a song can be senseless and still be a very good song - really the lyrics aren't that important anyway.

Level 25
To me... Rock/Metal and Classic music is the only thing that makes any sense at all... Disturbeds new CD, Asylum, is really emotional and well written if you take your time and read the lyrics, bust most people that don't like metal just whines about the growling and etc...

And once upon a time, even pop made sense, such as Tears for Fear and etc. But today it's "I logged in to MSN and you broke up on me"... Or crap like that...

The indulgence of our lives has cast a shadow on our world.
Our devotion to our appetites betrayed us all.
An apocalyptic plight.
More destruction will unfold.
Mother Earth will show her darker side and take her toll.

It's just another way to die.

There can be another reason why.
You know we should have seen it coming.
Consequences we cannot deny will be revealed in time.
Glaciers melt as we pollute the sky.
A sign of devastation coming.
We don’t need another way to die.
Can we repent in time?

[Pre-chorus:]
The Time bomb is ticking and no one is listening.
Our future is fading.
Is there any hope we’ll survive?

[Chorus:]
Still, we ravage the world that we love.
And the millions cry out to be saved.
Our endless maniacal appetite.
Left us with another way to die.
Can we repent in time?

Greed and hunger led to our demise.
A path I can’t believe we followed.
Black agenda’s rooted in a lie.
Will we repent in time?
Species fall before our very eyes.
A world that they cannot survive in left them with another way to die.
Are we dead inside?

[Pre-chorus]

[Chorus x2]

Can we repent in time?
Can we repent in time?

[Snoop Dogg]
Greetings loved ones
Let's take a journey

[Katy Perry - Verse 1]
I know a place
Where the grass is really greener
Warm, wet and wild
There must be somethin' in the water
Sippin' gin and juice
Layin' underneath the palm trees (Undone)
The boys
Break their necks
Try'na creep a little sneak peek (At us)

You could travel the world
But nothing comes close
To the Golden Coast
Once you party with us
You'll be falling in love
Oooooh oh oooooh

[Katy Perry - Chorus]
California girls
We're unforgettable
Daisy Dukes
Bikinis on top
Sun-kissed skin
So hot
We'll melt your Popsicle
Oooooh oh oooooh

California girls
We're undeniable
Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
Westcoast represent
Now put your hands up
Oooooh oh oooooh

[Katy Perry - Verse 2]
Sex on the beach
We don't mind sand in our Stilettos
We freak
In my Jeep
Snoop Doggy Dogg on the stereo (Oh oh)

You could travel the world
But nothing comes close
To the Golden Coast
Once you party with us
You'll be falling in love
Oooooh oh oooooh

[Katy Perry - Chorus]
California girls
We're unforgettable
Daisy Dukes
Bikinis on top
Sun-kissed skin
So hot
We'll melt your Popsicle
Oooooh oh oooooh

California gurls
We're undeniable
Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
Westcoast represent
Now put your hands up
Oooooh oh oooooh

[Snoop Dogg - Verse 3]
Toned, tanned
Fit and ready
Turn it up 'cause it's gettin' heavy
Wild, wild Westcoast
These are the girls I love the most
I mean the ones
I mean like she's the one
Kiss her
Touch her
Squeeze her buns

The girl's a freak
She drives a Jeep
and lives on the beach
I'm okay
I won't play
I love the Bay
Just like I love L.A.
Venice Beach
And Palm Springs
Summertime is everything

Homeboys
Hangin' out
All that ass
Hangin' out
Bikinis, tankinis, martinis
No weenies
Just a king
And a queen-ie
Katy my lady
(Yeah)
You're lookin'here baby
(Uh huh)
I'm all up on you
'Cause you representin' California
(Ohhh yeahh)

[Katy Perry - Chorus]
California gurls
We're unforgettable
Daisy Dukes
Bikinis on top
Sun-kissed skin
So hot
We'll melt your Popsicle
Oooooh oh oooooh

California gurls
We're undeniable
Fine, fresh, fierce
We got it on lock
Westcoast represent
(Westcoast, Westcoast)
Now put your hands up
Oooooh oh oooooh

Snoop Dogg:
(Californiaaa, Californiaaa)
California girls man
I wish they all could be
California girls
(Californiaaa)
I really wish
You all could be
California girls
(Californiaaa, girls)

I can't assure that these lyrics are 100%, but I'm sure most of it is.
And my point here is:
Disturbed has a meaning with their song, they send a message about global warming (getting a bit boring, yeah, I know.)
PS
Again, take your time and read more metal lyrics, most of the time the lyrics are really, really well written...
And yes, I know, there are EXCEPTIONS...

Kate on the other hand just... Sings about a "party"... Or something? Makes no sense to me and wakes no emotions...

Anyway, these opinions are from a very tired metal head...

Level 35
If you want music to make sense, listen to something with a political orientation. Communist choir songs and nationalist rock tend to be awesome. Otherwise, don't expect tuc-tuc-bee-bee-ree-bee-tuc-tuc-tuc "pieces of art" to have a message to deliver.

Level 22
An apocalyptic plight.

There can be another reason why.
Can we repent in time?

The Time bomb is ticking and no one is listening.
Our future is fading.

Can we repent in time?

Will we repent in time?
Are we dead inside?

[Pre-chorus]

[Chorus x2]

Can we repent in time?
Can we repent in time?

Almost correct lyrics. If you google "Disturbed - Another Way to die lyrics" you get slightly wrong lyrics. Not a huge difference though xD

Here's the correct lyrics:

An apocalyptic plight.

There can be no other reason why. [<-THIS IS WHERE THE OTHER LYRIC IS WRONG]
Can we repent in time?

The time bomb is ticking and no one is listening.
Our future is fading.

Can we repent in time?

Will we repent in time?
Are we dead inside?

[Pre-chorus]

Can we repent in time?

Can we repent in time?

I don't understand how others fail at writing the lyrics. He clearly says "There can be no other reason why" and not "There can be another reason why".

Edit: Listened through the song again to make sure there weren't any other fails in there. Turns out it's not [Chorus x2] at the end, but something similar.

Level 5
To me... Rock/Metal and Classic music is the only thing that makes any sense at all...

I would say most music "makes sense" in some way. Lyrics written by Phish or Umphreys won't make sense if you are anything remotely close to sober, but the organization of their jams certainly does. It also "makes sense" why talentless divas lip-sing to their own autotuned recordings when they perform live.

What doesn't make sense to me is why someone can market inherently crappy music and make it overwhelmingly popular. Sure, people will listen to mass-produced pop music more, but there are people who actually prefer it to the work of less popular, more talented musicians.

What I'm trying to say is that every band except Spinal Tap sucks ass and eats da poo poo. Their amazing musicianship is demonstrated by their ability to play power chords while trapped onstage in tiny pods. Their lyrical genius is second to none. Only Spinal Tap could capture the majesty of love with lines like, "My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo / I wanna sink her with my pink torpedo".

What doesn't make sense to me is why someone can market inherently crappy music and make it overwhelmingly popular. Sure, people will listen to mass-produced pop music more, but there are people who actually prefer it to the work of less popular, more talented musicians.

Well the whole point of it is that it's made to be marketed - I guess once they get someone on the road of liking "bad" (well I guess to them it's good music..... but still) music they acquire a taste for it.

Level 12
Only artists that established before 2000 actually make good music nowadays, because they aim to please themselves, not some money hungry idiots or a bunch of pre-pubecent teens running around with their parents credit card.

Not to mention taking a rock song from the 70's and comparing it to a modern rock song will sound very different. I'd take any group from the 50's to the 90's to trade them for our "modern artisits"

Meh.... it's when you set a time period and say all music after this sucks that your just being ignorant.

I'm sure there was a huge volume of bad music in the 70s just as there is now but the bands that got popular for said bad music just faded to oblivion when the fickle crowd that likes that sort of thing found a new band back then like bad pop bands do now.

Level 11
i prefer rock music from 60-early 90s... techno is good no matter what period... rap, some are good, pop is good... but modern rock really went down, no rock band nowadays sound anything like the 80s! (at least i can't think of one) (and what i mean by the 80s are the hair bands!) :D hehe

Level 11
well judging by observations... modern rock music isn't as successful as 80s rock music was... if there was a smart band, they would bring back the 80s.... i only know a few people who like modern rock now.. if this is musical evolution... it sure messed up... but thats my opinion :D hehe

Level 26
People have complained about new music before. People are still complaining about new music today. People will be complaining about new music for the rest of eternity.

There is one song, though, in whose lyrics I have deeply seeded hatred: Fireflies. I don't really mind the instrumentals. I don't even mind the music as a whole, though it's really to my liking. But the lyrics. Oh God the lyrics. You'd have to burn every diary of every twelve year-old girl in the world to make up for the stupid self-indulgent nonsense that Firefly unleashed upon mankind. Dear God it's horrible. It's almost as if they're just making up the song as they go along, glancing nervously at each other because they know their job is fucked, only to realize that everyone fucking loves their shitty lyrics.
You would not believe your eyes
If ten million fireflies
Lit up the world as I fell asleep
Because they'd fill the open air
And leave teardrops everywhere
You'd think me rude but I'd just stand and stare

I'd like to make myself believe
That planet Earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep
Because everything is never as it seems

Because I'd get a thousand hugs
From ten thousand lightning bugs
As they tried to teach me how to dance
A foxtrot above my head
A sockhop beneath my bed
A disco ball is just hanging by a thread

When I fall asleep leave my door open just a crack
(Please take me away from here)
Because i feel like such an insomniac
Why do I tire of counting sheep
When I'm far too tired to fall asleep?

To ten million fireflies
I'm weird because I hate goodbyes
I got misty eyes as they said farewell
But I'll know where several are
If my dreams get real bizarre
Because I saved a few and I keep them in a jar

Because my dreams are bursting at the seams

Believe it or not, plenty of modern songs do have a meaning, even if that meaning is just "Go out and have sex." Fireflies makes no fucking sense at all. To anyone. There's probably one of those aforementioned twelve year-old girls out there writing in their aforementioned diaries about how aforementioned song means so much to them, but I'm willing to bet that if you ask them what it actually means, they'd think you were asking about quantum physics.

well judging by observations... modern rock music isn't as successful as 80s rock music was... if there was a smart band, they would bring back the 80s.... i only know a few people who like modern rock now.. if this is musical evolution... it sure messed up... but thats my opinion :D hehe

There is a band that did that Aerborne (I think that's how it's spelled), they sound pretty much like Aerosmith.

The reason why no-one get's as huge critical acclaim as like, say Kiss, is probably due to the more specefic-ness that genres of music are now - when once there was Rock we now have:
-Rock
-Alt Rock
-Hard Rock
-Progressive Rock
-Math Rock
-Rap Rock
-Punk Rock
-and many more

(Yes of course these sub-genre's didn't just spring up when the year hit 2000, but they do seem to be gaining more popularity in general)

Sub-genre's of music seem to be getting more popular now, thus people are getting more and more specific tastes. Look at the old Hair Metal bands: they all pretty much use the same style and generically sound pretty similar - if you listen to the different genre's of rock and metal now you'll notice that many bands are sounding more and more unique in their style even though they're in the same genre.

Also why bands don't just revive the music of the 80s is most likely because they want to be known for their own sound instead of ripping that of what was popular 20 years ago - if your playing a certain style just because it's popular and it's not exactly what you want to play then your no better then Pop music. If thats the music you want to play, fine go ahead though.

It's zhe magic.

MAGIC!

Believe it or not, plenty of modern songs do have a meaning, even if that meaning is just "Go out and have sex." Fireflies makes no fucking sense at all. To anyone. There's probably one of those aforementioned twelve year-old girls out there writing in their aforementioned diaries about how aforementioned song means so much to them, but I'm willing to bet that if you ask them what it actually means, they'd think you were asking about quantum physics.

Who needs meaning when you've got Autotune?

Last edited:
Level 12
People have complained about new music before. People are still complaining about new music today. People will be complaining about new music for the rest of eternity.
This is what I find to be the most logical answer.

Btw, is it me or are music videos getting more fucked up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwE-SLnLkqY&feature=channel
Also Alejandro.

Honestly, the lyrics could be awful, but as long as the songs sounds good (beat, vocals, etc.) I have no reason to complain.

Lol at fireflies. I honestly was really puzzled by its explosion in popularity.

EDIT: Btw, if you're looking for a song with good lyrics, look for Asomath's Hive staff song.

Last edited:
Level 3
It depends what music you are talking about. I personally find that the music I listen to often says what I feel inside in just the right words that either make me smile or cry. Depending on the circumstance. :)

Level 26
You can use autotune to make a news report sound like hip-hop. You don't even have to try to make music to sound good.
But it still does sound good.

You see, this is what I don't get about the autotune critics. They're always complaining about how little effort it takes to sing a song nowadays. Welcome to playing a musical instrument, genius. Do you seriously think what's hard to play on the cello will be equally hard on the piano? No, you douche! (to no one in particular) Good music isn't good because it's hard; good music is good because it sounds good.

Level 30
But it still does sound good.

You see, this is what I don't get about the autotune critics. They're always complaining about how little effort it takes to sing a song nowadays. Welcome to playing a musical instrument, genius. Do you seriously think what's hard to play on the cello will be equally hard on the piano? No, you douche! (to no one in particular) Good music isn't good because it's hard; good music is good because it sounds good.
Exactly. Same goes for electro.

Level 28
Mono - Hymn to the Immortal wind is an album from end 2008, and although it is completely instrumental it makes more sense than most songs I hear on the radio combined.
Post-rock is a genre which hasn't evolved a lot, and I love it for that: it keeps the pure bliss of the music and the instruments tell more than words ever could.

I absolutely love the older metal lyrics though, they are so gorgeous to read.

"Stood there cursing at the soul-dead mass
with their fabled illusions, the vain dreams that passed
splinters of a life rushing by in the whirl
alone, silent warrior in a fantasy world"
- In Flames - Artifacts of the Black Rain

I know the good old In Flames for their lyrics about the dark side of society and the fall of it.
"In Flames - Worlds Withing the Margin" is also a great song, although more scientific.

I've listened to the radio a few times, but what I heard there... well, most lyrics I heard were so superficial and meaningless that the entire aspect of music is based on the beat instead of the whole.
I can enjoy music with good lyrics more than a song with a good beat (mainly because I like more complex rythms, but whatever).

As said before: most metal and rock have deeper lyrics. And post-rock (my second main genre) does the same without even having lyrics (GY! BE does have lyrics, but it's usually only in a small part of the song).

About the "it doesn't matter if it's hard, as long as it's good" comment: that's different for everyone.
I love complex rythms and changing beats, original sounds and such are what makes me like songs: not a monotone beat.
Now you can go say post-rock is monotone, on the surface it is, yes, but every time I listen to a post-rock song I hear new things I haven't heard before, and it just keeps surprising me how much variety there actually is in a 20-minute long song.

But it's about music making sense, not music being good/bad.

Level 7
This is exactly why I listen to instrumental music and soundtracks. They are better than the senseless lyrics and music people have these days.

This is exactly why I listen to instrumental music and soundtracks. They are better than the senseless lyrics and music people have these days.

If you consider the vocals like an instrument, any song is an instrumental. A song can have great, deep, meaningful lyrics and still be terrible from a singer that's either bad or monotonous - in the same way, a song can have terrible, shallow, pointless lyrics and still be good because the singer delivers them well.

Sure the math behind serialism is neat but it's pure anguish for the ears.

Searched, this - damn my mistake, chromaticism is definitely not the way to go for an entire piece. Sounds like everything's supposed to be from a horror movie - definitely not the choice to go for in classical music (though a few metal uses of serialist concepts actually sounded passable that showed up on youtube)

Level 14
All todays music is repetative, Like in one of Justien Beibers songs, All keeps saying Oh Baby, Oh baby. Its just horrible... I would rather listen to a dog bark because atleast it makes different sounds!
Oh and some of the new songs are rip offs from the old ones, all they have done is got an old song, replace a few words and gone hey look at my new song! Buy the CD! Blah Blah Blah... It sickens me....
What has the world come too.

All todays music is repetative, Like in one of Justien Beibers songs, All keeps saying Oh Baby, Oh baby. Its just horrible... I would rather listen to a dog bark because atleast it makes different sounds!
Oh and some of the new songs are rip offs from the old ones, all they have done is got an old song, replace a few words and gone hey look at my new song! Buy the CD! Blah Blah Blah... It sickens me....
What has the world come too.

Your describing the main music you hear at the forefront of pretty much anything, I'd imagine this is how it normally is regardless of time (in modern music history). But yeah, you don't see any actually good/unique modern bands (you normally have to do a bit of searching to find something interesting/unique).

Level 35
The reason why I dislike pop music is because it uses banal chord progressions revolving around four basic chords. Give me any song on the radio and I will tell you the chord progression and other songs that use it. The music is completely melody-driven with absolutely no substance in harmony. Of course, "substance" is arbitrary for I have acquired a taste for complexity -- certainly something not found too often in mainstream music. The music is too consonant -- no tension is observable in most pieces. I like to think of dissonance for music as a spice -- with the proper ingredients, you can really accentuate the taste of a dish. Although I do appreciate Western art music, I too, like most people, simply cannot digest multi-part counterpoint. I just want to hear some variety -- some creativity.

In a distant future...
"Dude, modern music is so lame. I like early 21st century music, those really were the cultural prime years."

I shudder at the thought that sometime in the future they could possibly consider anything by Lady GaGa as a prime example of "21st Century GaGa-ism," a cultural turning point in which music became......

I don't hate modern music, I just generally dislike what's "popular"

Level 26
In a distant future...
"Dude, modern music is so lame. I like early 21st century music, those really were the cultural prime years."
^This. No one's going to stop pissing and moaning about music. Ever.

People have probably been complaining way back in the classical period of music. Mozart? What is this crap? Where are all the complex rhythms and fast-paced music? With the piano, anyone can play a fucking musical instrument. Orchestras were way more awesome back when Vivaldi was around. None of this boring, simplistic shit.

People have probably been complaining way back in the classical period of music. Mozart? What is this crap? Where are all the complex rhythms and fast-paced music? With the piano, anyone can play a fucking musical instrument. Orchestras were way more awesome back when Vivaldi was around. None of this boring, simplistic shit.

Instruments? What's with this piece of shit with strings on it?!?!
Get me a good log and I'll beat you out a better rhythm then any timpani player could!

Level 26
lololol

@MySpaceBarBroke I don't think you're looking in the right places for orchestral music if you're only finding "simplistic" pieces.
Baroque period orchestral music is complex in comparison to Classical period music, which typically features a single melody in contrast to the polyphonic pieces of Bach or Handel. Listen to this by classical composer Mozart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT7_Y1pIBb4
As opposed to this by Handel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuwk4YQEXVw At 1:39 on.

Status
Not open for further replies.