• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Do you Believe In Aliens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Idk well i dont think theres like aliens how most people picture them aka Star trek thing and movies but in a sciencetific view the univierse is infinite the chances of conditions met for life in another place is not low.

Level 23
Humanoids, But Just look at star trek what a encounter with a lower race can do, a race that has no religion has suddenly gotten a religion, their whole future has changed their whole life has changed, or you might get the same as here on earth, Europe v.s. Indians. And I'll never be sure if any of you are real, I don't even know if I exist... I actualy know nothing surely.

Level 27
If a planets intelligent didn't even know that their earth wasn't flat, then it would be wise not to interfere, a few probes in the sky wouldn't interfere. We are searching for aliens, so if they come they wouldn't say were not ready.

Level 26
This thread is talking about such hypothetical things.. it's like saying what you would do with your money if you won the lottery... only more unlikely than that.

Level 23
Hmm I'm not going there, then Pitakebab will shoot 500 rounds into my chest and another 200 in my head o_O Well Lets just hope they are just scientists and not mass killers or trying to play god.... And Probes might be visible bye the eye of a creature, They don't know what other natural or non-natural 'powers' we or other aliens have, so they might just be sertain to just use cloak or something. and we are NOT sure they have not come here, Very much sightings of those flying thingy's (you can't call it UFO becouse it's not realy unidentified anymore most of the time is it? and it could be a duck if you just say UFO) might be fake but there could be some that are real. Never say that something is impossible.

Level 21
A person living the the age of 10x10^35 because this is the time it takes for proton decay, in which time a persons atoms would have resonated away all their mass into heat energy, thats if its even possible for a person to live over 130 years.

and while were on aliens, its impossible for an organism to be helium or hydrogen based because there are not enough bonds to create working chained molecules. and if an organism would be say, Boron based, each induvidual boron atom would need to be ionised so it loses 4 electrons which would require masses of energy, just so it could act as a four bonding species like carbon is. an even then its probably not possible to make life from it because of the physical differences between the two.

another thing thats impossible is that a reaction with a positive forward free energy value will never happen spontaneously.

these may be bad examples but its all i can reall think of.

Level 9
Im not sure how people believe that we are alone in the universe? I mean think how massive it is! How could the insignifigant race of humans be the only form of intelligent life in the universe!
There is some creature on a distant planet asking the same question this thread does at this very moment...

Level 23
Jup and Nemisis, I still believe everything is possible, those things that you say are indeed very unlikely, but there just might be a possibillity, altrough the persentage would be like 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% or lower, as long as that 1 is there, there is a chance that it happens.

Level 21
Jup and Nemisis, I still believe everything is possible, those things that you say are indeed very unlikely, but there just might be a possibillity, altrough the persentage would be like 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% or lower, as long as that 1 is there, there is a chance that it happens.

well two of those things are physically impossible if our idea of physics are correct, as in they cannot happen at all because it just cant happen, the universe wont allow it. there are limits to what can happen in our universe which are governed by Laws. as far as we know universal laws cannot be broken because it just isnt possible. like "every action has an equal and opposite reaction", it is impossible for this not to happen in every case unless newtons laws are wrong, but if they are right that statement stands as fact and cannot under any circumstances at all be broken. some things are impossible im afraid. you can believe what you want but by believing that then you are going against some of the very fundements our universe is built on and self proclaiming your disbelief in physics.

Level 21
well this is what im trying to say, unless the laws of physics are wrong then certain things are impossible. if you believe in physics and the experiments that prove those laws to be correct like i do, and as most people probably do, then you know certain things are impossible. when it comes to these laws they are proven without a doubt, the only thing that would break these laws would be in one of those lame "the universe is my dream" philosopher things where the universe isnt as we see it, but its some freaky alternate reality.

put basically, if you believe in the physics of gravity, thermodynamics, enthalpy/entropy changes or any other law that we have proven with physics and experiment then some things are impossible. if you believe we are all living in a dream world that is actually an illusion where everything we see isnt real and those laws dont apply, then and only then will anything be possible; so if you think we live in the matrix you may be right.

Level 16
And now the Question:
Should I say, the truth or what you guys want to hear?

Well. I prefer truth: 90% of all the Alienstuff was made by pathfinders.
Signs in Cornfields? Clumsy scout is trying to get some flour for their cookies.
Cownapping? Milk for their plates of chocolate.
Humannapping? Some kind of project at school for biologic.

KIDDING!

There was a Sentence in the movie "Contact" No i mean the one with the Scientists and the primnumbers... Yes this one. So this sentences says: "If we are the only being in this Universe its a damn waste of Space, isnt it?" Oh boy oh boy its a question.... never mind.

I think Yes and if not, why does one of the Sappers a Rocket on his back, if there wouldnt be something to explore?

*reads this post* You know what talkactive is?

Level 23
^^ lol, And I do not think we are in the matrix or this is a dream, I just think that we are just stating laws much too fast, for the moment they might be right, but I do think there is a way that everything is possible, maby there is a god, but it just triggered the big bang and all things we know now, I would say, that religion and science CAN go together, as long as the religion adapts, becouse humans don't know everything, so religion is only the things we know about a god or believe thingy ^^ So what we know can adapt and so religion can adapt... so maby everything IS possible, but at the other side, it might just be so that not everything is possible. I'm just not sure.

Level 21
well look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_physics

and here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_laws_in_science

All of those laws have been proven with experiment and Archimedes’ principle Law of Fluid mechanics has been a round since the 2nd century BC and still holds firm today. this has nothing to do with religon, it is about the fact that somethings are set in stone and cannot physically be changed. if you want to make it religious then think of it like this "even God has rules".

Level 4
oh thats bullshit i have to be 18 or older to view it.
well Youtube - kiss my ass. anyway there are aliens .why do you think all these movies about them are made for!the question should be who doesent beleve in them.
alienjar.gif
ohhhh maspooky little grey fellows are about tonight-
  • No necroposting. "Necroposting" isthe act of posting in a thread that is over two weeks old and not on the first page of threads without a good reason to do so (By Mecheon and my judment, that is) or moderator permission to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
werewulf
please dont start any bad conflicks between you and me kk

well i wanted to talk about alliens.
anyway if people arnt spostoo post anything in 2week treads then delete the treads?

Level 26
Level 24
Oh my Jesus way topic ressurection... Anyways, biggest proof of intelligent life out there is that they've stayed the hell away from Earth. What sort of race advanced enough to travel through space would have the poor sense to introduce itself to humans? Corrupt and nearsighted/selfish humans comprise too large a percentage of the population for that to be safe.

Level 8
I just saw the movie Aliens, and now this thread comes up. Freaky.

Anyway, there are 700 billion stars within within five million light years of our little planet. (And that's just our litle sector, not to talk of the whole universe.) Now, even if only one tenth of those stars have planets, and they only have one planet, that's still 70 billion planets. The chances of life NOT developing are slim to none.

The chances of us making contact with anyone are also slim to none. If there is life out there, it will probably be on out technological level, unless they somehow got an evolutionary kick-start and developed into intelligent beings before we did. Anyway, even if someone discovered a way to proppel a ship at the speed of light, it would stilll take them thousands of yeasr to get anywhere, and even if they did pass through our galaxy, or even our soalr system, how do we know that they would notice us? They're probably in cold sleep or something. So the chances of space ships of any kind visitng our planet any time soon are, not to repeat myself, slim to none.

*edit*

Ok, I just read some othe rposts on this and saw that someone said something about the Fermi Paradox (If there are aliens, where are they?) Well, there aer 50 billion galaxies in the universe. I would be very surprised if anyone could find us. In my view, the Fermi Paradox is obsolete

Last edited:
Level 5
Considering how big space is, I'd be surprised if there's nothing out there. Contrary to science-fiction, though, they probably don't have "hyperdrives" (doesn't seem theoretically possible), so we might not ever seem 'em, but I bet they're out there.

Level 23
The way that I would think is the best way of travel (and that is only if wormholes are proven to exist) A wormhole drive, or just gateways, things that generate wormhole right in front of their faces or within a controlled enviroment, then they wouldn't even go trough our galaxy if they wanted to cross it, it seems to me as the best solution to interstellar travel.

Level 7
What's with the 'do you believe in aliens' discussions? Is there hot news lately that I miss? I visit another forum it had the same thread. On the TV I learn about mysteriously disappearing old women and some say 'may have been abducted by aliens' (yeah right! by green aliens with antennas).

No, no, this is like my department (Astronomy) and unlike astronomers, people laugh if someone says 'aliens'. They consider this some funny jokes, even my English teacher laughed when I said one sentence about possible aliens to detect our radio waves. More like a new model jet-plane that makes people think they've seen a UFO.

Seriously what's with discussion aliens? I thought people barely care. Even on a party I was days ago when we felt sleepy and let the mp3-s play, we ignored the music and started talking about aliens, on a party, freaky huh?

Live your life, forget about aliens. Those discussions and 'ive seen a UFO' are jokes, vision defects etc.

Level 23
We are talking about chances, not about sightings, people don't care becouse people don't see the future, ever seen spongebob? one eppisode tells the horrible truth of life. man goes to work, man works, man goes home, man eats, man goes to sleep, they do not see the future only their own, peoples interrests lie in the wrong plases, the future is space, and I am a freak of astronomy 2 ^^ I love to talk about it, the only problem is... other people don't so there is nobody to talk about it to -_-'

Level 21
I just saw the movie Aliens, and now this thread comes up. Freaky.

good movie, ridley scott is ownage.

Anyway, there are 700 billion stars etc etc etc

see the drake equation

If there is life out there, it will probably be on our technological level, unless they somehow got an evolutionary kick-start and developed into intelligent beings before we did.

we really cant tell this, our universe has been around for 13.7 billion years and our solar system is about 5 billion years old (our planet is 4 billion years old) and this makes it releatively young. many civilisations may have evolved at any point in time. life out there might not even develop in the same way we know it; it might not evolve at all. really we cant be sure of anything to do with what aliens would look like except the basics of possible composition.

Anyway, even if someone discovered a way to proppel a ship at the speed of light, it would stilll take them thousands of yeasr to get anywhere

this is the main argument against us coming in contact with alien life. worm holes, einstienian bridges and other entities may exist but then how would they know where to find us?

Well, there aer 50 billion galaxies in the universe. I would be very surprised if anyone could find us. In my view, the Fermi Paradox is obsolete

Drake Equation > Fermi's Paradox

Level 9
I do believe there are some kind of creatures out there, but I highly doubt it's green men in space ships with laser guns ready to invade us.

Heck, it may just be some kind of plant. But as said in other posts, I doubt we'll ever see them, and I doubt they'll ever see us.

Level 21
tbh we can only guess what life on other planets will be like. if we take it to its basic points any organism will need:

an energy source

organelles for matabolism and using this energy

a way to replicate

a way to synthesise chemicals

a volume for all this to happen in

how this happens and the rest is really just assumption.

Level 8
@GST_Nemesis

I know about the drake equation.....number of planets that exist, number of planets that supposrt life, chances of life developing, chances of life developing into civilization, average span of civilization. The thing is, there are so many unknowns in that. What is the average span of a civilization? We don't know. OUR civilizations might be atypical, or they might be average. The drake equation, until we know a lot more, is of no use.

I agree with your point about evolution; we could be have been unussually quick to evolve intelligence, or we could have been the laggers. And that's assuming we all started at about the same time.

Also, you say
Drake equation > Fermi paradox

Well, the two are not really ver related. The Drake Equation tells us the probability of alien life evolving, and the Fermi Paradox is used to explain why we have not been visited by aliens. Could you explain what you meant when you said that about the Drake equation/Fermi Paradox?

Level 24
I think there probably is other life, but that humans will probably never find it, which means there might as well not be anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.