• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do you Believe In Aliens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Ok, number one, the universe is not infinite. The reason we know this is because if the universe was infinite, then there would be an infinite number of stars in it, and every star would put out light....so if the universe was infinite, and you looked up at the night sky, then the night sky would be blazing with light, because there would be a beam of light coming from every direction.
Logic doesn't work when you're incorrectly using facts. Light has velocity. We can only see the stars that are as close to us in light years as the universe is old. Not to mention light gets weaker as it goes farther. In the middle of the night, shine a flashlight on your house. Now start walking backwards. Keep walking backwards. The circle of light will get bigger and :eekani: dimmer! Gasp! As far as humanity knows, the universe is infinite.

The chances are slim, true. Let's say that the chances of life evolving are one in a million. But there are trillions of planets in the galaxy. SO even if the chances of life evolving are tiny, there are still thousands of alien civilization out there. (See the Drake equation)

Three things:
  • The Drake equation doesn't help us at all, because we don't know any of the variables in it.
  • The Drake equation doesn't help us at all because it is for calculating the chances of humanity encountering alien lifeforms, not the chances of them being there.
  • I believe that you mean there are trillions of planets in the universe. The milky way is estimated at 200 billion stars.

Level 21
Not to mention light gets weaker as it goes farther.

although you are right about everything else, this part is not right because light does not get "dimmer" through a vacuum because it doesnt lose energy by bashing into particles and being absorbed like what happens here. but the further away it is the smaller the point of light, also the light will change colour to red and will eventually become infra-red radiation the further away it is.

Level 23
The circle theory (as I call it) has been said that it isn't possible, but. It is possible, only highly unlikely, There wouldn't be enough matter/ Dark Matter in the whole space to do it (I am only stating a Theory, I'm not 100% behind it... Why is Einstein dead? ^^ he would've known the solution... I think..

Level 24
although you are right about everything else, this part is not right because light does not get "dimmer" through a vacuum because it doesnt lose energy by bashing into particles and being absorbed like what happens here. but the further away it is the smaller the point of light, also the light will change colour to red and will eventually become infra-red radiation the further away it is.

Sorry, I should have said concentration of light becomes weaker, until eventually the concentration is thin enough that you can't see it. I'd imagine the IR part happens first, though.

Level 24
Name one unbiased way of measuring intelligence. Also, name what kind of intelligence. Mathematical, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, bodily-kinesthetic, linguistic, spatial?

Aristotle, Pythagoras, Archimedes, Socrates. Beethoven, Bach, Mozart. I could go on.

Level 26
Name one unbiased way of measuring intelligence. Also, name what kind of intelligence. Mathematical, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, bodily-kinesthetic, linguistic, spatial?

Aristotle, Pythagoras, Archimedes, Socrates. Beethoven, Bach, Mozart. I could go on.
IQ could be a rough way of doing so, though I doubt ancient Greek philosphers took IQ tests. Unless there's a single person that knows every single thing Einstein knows and more, there's no way to be certain who's smarter/est, so let's just assume I'm the smartest being out there. What about the person that made the Monty Hall problem?

Level 21
The definition of intelligence has long been a matter of controversy.

At least two major "consensus" definitions of intelligence have been proposed. First, from Intelligence: Knowns and Unknowns, a report of a task force convened by the American Psychological Association in 1995:

Individuals differ from one another in their ability to understand complex ideas, to adapt effectively to the environment, to learn from experience, to engage in various forms of reasoning, to overcome obstacles by taking thought. Although these individual differences can be substantial, they are never entirely consistent: a given person’s intellectual performance will vary on different occasions, in different domains, as judged by different criteria. Concepts of "intelligence" are attempts to clarify and organize this complex set of phenomena. Although considerable clarity has been achieved in some areas, no such conceptualization has yet answered all the important questions and none commands universal assent. Indeed, when two dozen prominent theorists were recently asked to define intelligence, they gave two dozen somewhat different definitions.

A second definition of intelligence comes from "Mainstream Science on Intelligence", which was signed by 52 intelligence researchers in 1994:

a very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings—"catching on", "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.