• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Are They Among Us???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Zapp Brannigan said:
However, I did make it with a hot alien babe. And, in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?
Think about it.

If we do, then they do.

If we can, then they can.

If we can some day, then some of them can yesterday.

Modern engineers don't ask, "Can I?" They ask, "How do I?" This basic premise of anything being possible, even things that are supposed to violate physics itself and be disallowed across all of time and space in the universe, is key. You cannot omnisciently outright dismiss the possibility of terraforming or faster-than-light travel and so must accept them as not mere possibilities, but as physical axioms.

If aliens exist—and they certainly do—then they can travel to and populate other planets with some form of intelligent life. Consider that an AI is a form of life due to its being intelligent.

But remember, this is across all of time and space. "Can" gives rise to "done." It is certain that there are aliens out there that have constructed interstellar civilizations. They have existed for a long time. Oh. And life moves fast. We're not talking geological time periods here, we're talking discrete societies that exist spanning star systems. Internets and communication lines whereby members of a species can be born on far distant planets and become friends, lovers, enemies, teammates, co-workers. This isn't science fiction, this is a must-be absolute reality that we have to accept as not merely a possibility, but axiomatically. Technology made the world small and it made the galaxy small in the same way.

It's not even a question of being found or not; there most certainly are parts of galactic civilization that focus on exploration and mapping of the galaxy. They leave budding civilizations alone for the most part for the same reason we don't try to convert primitive tribes to our modern ways. Plus, even with their amazing processing power and data at their disposal, simulations are only ever simulations. They might easily have mastered their own genetics and university students would well be able to program an organism from the ground up starting from zero DNA (or whatever chemical soup they use).

But there's a special little problem they can't quite solve.

See, they want to stay alive.

I'm not saying genetic immortality or anything mundane like that. I'm talking about their civilizations as a whole, and at each individual node. You never do evolve beyond culture because culture itself is a living organism. Alien civilizations will vary wildly in terms of the things they enjoy and consider familiar, what level of technology the feel comfortable with and what they choose to do manually, codebases and sciences will appeal to those they appeal to and be ignored entirely by others. There will be exotic sports, both digital and physical, with and without special equipment and enhancements allowed or considered unsporting.

Oh and racism?

Yeah, that's still there. And it's worse, because you're working with actual races. And not just species, here. We're talking entirely separate base seeds, likely from the dawn of the galaxy itself. Once the initial handful of species become interstellar and ultimately galactic, they can set up accelerators that span such distances. Think like the gravity slingshot effect, but with hypertechnology accelerating any object passing within the field. A truly ancient network of pathways set down by beyond-age-old societies that died eons ago, either by war or constant change over time.

Yeah. That neighborhood.

The one where planets dump their immense trash heap of materials they haven't figured out quite yet how to re-use. Or maybe it's not immense, but they're just dumping it to keep it away from their good planets. You know, the ones that didn't need heavy and expensive terraforming.

Panspermia, anyone? Our galaxy is certainly old enough for it. If life evolved once, it can certainly evolve twice.

Well now we have a question: What kind of galactic neighborhood are we in? How are we zoned?

See, unless you can somehow blankly and physically refute the possibility of FTL and terraforming, you are forced to ask this question. It's not even a question of whether or not the question makes sense or if it's worth asking, we have to, because we can't refute the possibility they we're self-aware mold in a galactic waste dump.

But that little "self-aware" makes all the difference.

Level 14
You know what would be the coolest thing ever? If humans contaminated Mars with the rovers we've been sending there, and then Mars became capable of supporting life, and then humans destroyed themselves. Then, life evolved on Mars, and human-like creatures evolved, and they looked up at the Earth and saw the ruins of an ancient civilization.

Or it would be equally cool if we found the ruins at Mars.

You know what would be the coolest thing ever? If humans contaminated Mars with the rovers we've been sending there, and then Mars became capable of supporting life, and then humans destroyed themselves. Then, life evolved on Mars, and human-like creatures evolved, and they looked up at the Earth and saw the ruins of an ancient civilization.

Or it would be equally cool if we found the ruins at Mars.

Uh, this is getting pretty interesting.
But if you think about it, given lots and lots of time, that will eventually happen.
Have you every wondered why we haven asteroid belt at the fringe of the habitable zone of Sol solar system? Maybe this was a planet and it got destroyed... just imagine it.

Level 14
Uh, this is getting pretty interesting.
But if you think about it, given lots and lots of time, that will eventually happen.
Have you every wondered why we haven asteroid belt at the fringe of the habitable zone of Sol solar system? Maybe this was a planet and it got destroyed... just imagine it.

Afaik, Earth and many planets are just formed by asteroids or comets which collided together, which then started gravitating around the Sun.

And the asteroid belt is just... asteroids which didn't make it to become a planet.

Level 27
The largest "asteroid," Ceres, is large enough that its gravitational field makes it spherical, ie., is a dwarf planet. I'm looking at the asteroid belt as being an awesome place to colonize. I don't even see the point of letting it collapse into a full planet, would just result in a gravity field that makes it harder to get back into space. Just give me a bubble and a gravity chamber and it's home sweet home.

Level 14
But all kinds of stuff happens to humans in space. I doubt it'd make a good permanent living space for a large portion of the population. It'd suck to regularly train muscles that you don't have to even think about in space. And imagine if you ever wanted to visit planets? You'd be too weak to even think about it. Also long term exposure to cosmic radiation.

Level 13
Just a opinion of the UFO sighting.
What if they planted the ''human seed'' on Earth and watch how we evolve?
That would explain why there are allot of sightings.
Also to answer the question why they don't contact us,well its simple if you saw a species that rages war against its own kin and are not bound together as one strong civilization would you make contact with them?
Also for the people that think the aliens watch us and study us so that they can kill us later,if they are really up to that then why don't they do it right now?Their technology is far more advanced than our so why are they waiting?

Level 14
Because maybe we are the only intelligent species that sends shit to space in a very long radius. There are countless factors that could prevent a species from interacting with other species through space, and maybe we'll soon encounter one of those obstacles by destroying ourselves.

Level 27
If you saw a species that rages war against its own kin and are not bound together as one strong civilization would you make contact with them?
Absolutely.
If they are really up to that then why don't they do it right now? Their technology is far more advanced than our so why are they waiting?
They can't do much because our collective disbelief creates this sort of thick barrier that makes it hard for any non-human to affect our immediate causality.

It's a concept I invented after watching Bridge to Terabithia. I wondered how magical creatures could physically exist and be able to influence things, but that, by and large, they didn't seem to. It wasn't because they had no interest in doing so or were scared of us; we're talking trolls and ogres here. The only logical explanation for such a world would be that humans project an anti-magic field as their sort of inherent magical ability. It limits our use/observation of magic, in the process protecting us from it.

It's interesting how alien contact is a thing only "paranoid" "conspiracy theorists" who "believe" in "crazy" "spiritual realms" seem to really place much stock in. Even if it's a scientific principle to accept aliens as definitely existing in the vastness of our universe, that same vastness is used as an argument for their complete inability to have found us even after millions of years of their civilization's development/existence.

There's really no actual evidence that Earth isn't just some lost colony of a once great galactic civilization of humans. The ship that brought us here with all its technology could easily have sunk into the mantle by now, the knowledge of the ancients "lost" "forever," "dismissed" as "legends" by the children who never grew up with running water.

'Cuz see if we complete Drake's equation and the solution is that life is plentiful and resilient, to the point where it is monumentally likely that they know exactly where we are and have attempted to contact us throughout history and succeeded more often than not, then we have to start coming up with an explanation for why it isn't common human knowledge.

Some people get confused about how much we actually know about how the universe works and use this to pretend that they can conclude Drake's equation doesn't resolve that way.

Level 13
Absolutely.

They can't do much because our collective disbelief creates this sort of thick barrier that makes it hard for any non-human to affect our immediate causality.

It's a concept I invented after watching Bridge to Terabithia. I wondered how magical creatures could physically exist and be able to influence things, but that, by and large, they didn't seem to. It wasn't because they had no interest in doing so or were scared of us; we're talking trolls and ogres here. The only logical explanation for such a world would be that humans project an anti-magic field as their sort of inherent magical ability. It limits our use/observation of magic, in the process protecting us from it.

It's interesting how alien contact is a thing only "paranoid" "conspiracy theorists" who "believe" in "crazy" "spiritual realms" seem to really place much stock in. Even if it's a scientific principle to accept aliens as definitely existing in the vastness of our universe, that same vastness is used as an argument for their complete inability to have found us even after millions of years of their civilization's development/existence.

There's really no actual evidence that Earth isn't just some lost colony of a once great galactic civilization of humans. The ship that brought us here with all its technology could easily have sunk into the mantle by now, the knowledge of the ancients "lost" "forever," "dismissed" as "legends" by the children who never grew up with running water.

'Cuz see if we complete Drake's equation and the solution is that life is plentiful and resilient, to the point where it is monumentally likely that they know exactly where we are and have attempted to contact us throughout history and succeeded more often than not, then we have to start coming up with an explanation for why it isn't common human knowledge.

Some people get confused about how much we actually know about how the universe works and use this to pretend that they can conclude Drake's equation doesn't resolve that way.

This post just made my day you deserve my rep!

Also about how much human kind knows about the universe i come with a question.You know the legendary city of Atlantis and all the stuff that they were too advanced for their age and stuff and then sunk to the bottom of the ocean right?What if they were actually the aliens that planted the human seed on earth and were watching us grow and studying us for lets say a ''unknown'' purpose?

Also if we to see a giant UFO across a random city and just float there how long would you think that us would just stay and look at it?I would say we would look at it for max 1-2 days then send the army to check it.

Also Fun Fact about the Ocean,we know More about the universe than we know about our own oceans.

Level 5
I did some research on this whole aliens thing, and it wouldn't suprise me in the least in aliens are/were on our planet. Early in civilization aliens may have come to our planet wanting gold, and rewarded us with technology when we gave them gold, which would help piece together why people love gold so much to this very day..my thoughts are a bit hazy on this topic right now, but I remember thinking quite a bit about this topic.

Level 14
Why would they trade when they could just take it? What technology did they give us? Why would they come to a planet to mine metals incredibly inefficiently, when they could just mine asteroids that don't have the same problems regarding gravity etc?

Sorry but you really need to think it through before you choose to believe something.

Level 16
Ok. I'm going to explain some human behaviour and speculate on "Alien" behaviour.

First off. People talk about humanity as a good thing. Human behaviour which looks bad, we claim it as a loss of humanity. However, humanity is defined as:

2.The fact or condition of being human; human nature.

So... When we act like animals, or negatively, we are in fact reflecting our humanity. By that I mean our behaviour as a human being. However society looks at the word humanity as very different. Rather humanity being what we are, but what we strive towards. Kindness, mercy, love, etc. Take a look at the hierarchy of needs. This is a priority of needs a person has. This is what we do to survive, physically and mentally.

Maslow%27s_Hierarchy_of_Needs_svg.jpg

Ok, now I have that out of the way. Every single person who tried to be realistic on Alien behaviour has made an extremely flawed point. They disregard two very important possibilities and or facts.

• One: Everybody has assumed Aliens will have the same hierarchy of needs, instincts, and behaviour of that of a human. Big mistake.

• Two: Some of the people have assumed Aliens will think and act as humans, but only reflect one negative side.

Example:
Why would they trade when they could just take it?

So, for the first point. We have to consider Aliens may think very different to humans. This is a difficult concept to understand because we cannot make any logical speculation as to how and what they think. How they're motives work and how rationale they are. Further explanation isn't really possible. They may have very different mindsets which undermines everybody's attempts here to explain an Alien's motives.

And for the second point. Given Aliens think on the same basis as Humans, then what makes you think they are evil? Human beings are capable of great evil and great good. Why would you be so naïve to think Aliens would then only act on their own selfish ways??

Last edited:
Level 14
I'd argue that we can assume certain things about possible alien motivations and their thought processes. It's a simple matter of evolution, in order for species to become capable of interstellar travel, they'll have to be very successful and strive to use their resources and get new resources in most efficient ways, and do certain things, and avoid other things that might destroy their species.

That is, of course if the aliens in question aren't so ancient that the time they have spent as "godlike space species" hasn't simply changed them so much that no-one can really know what they want or think. But if that's the case, I doubt they'd even be physical beings anymore, but instead robots that are the result of "post biological era" that would happen if technology advances so much that artificial creatures slowly take over the civilization. </wild_speculation>

Level 27
You don't really have to avoid extinction; some other species can arise after you. Planets support life for long enough periods that any given life-giving world could have several chances at making a successful interstellar civilization.

Level 14
Yes, but that doesn't really affect my point at all. All of those civilizations have to do certain things in order to become capable of interstellar travel. Even if there are countless chances, it's still very unlikely that a civilization that behaves "absurdly" would gain that capability.

Level 16
I'd like to point out that my logic of aliens civilization advancement is based on statistics manifesting physically as incredible spans of time pass, not on xenopsychology.

Well, I was just commenting on the people of were speculating on xenophyschology matters. Not everybody who commented on this thread. Btw, thanks for sharing that word. I didn't realise there was such a word for what I was describing.

Level 2
There was a recently revealed case of a base often claimed by skeptics to be non-existent because they simply never found it, it is underground. According to many stories found on the web, it is a joint human-alien facility, where humans are working on the higher levels and aliens are doing things and experiments on the lower levels.

A person whom I've talked was a son of one of the researchers of that base, he revealed that the whole alien stories around this base were part of disinformation. The base was absolutely human and the disinformation was spread to cover up military projects.

However, there are cases where shiny objects shut down nuclear missiles, disturbed radio signals and leaving aside the encounters of people, there has been former USAF people who openly said there was no such human technology that could do such things.

When it comes to the common idea 'Aliens cannot reach us, we are too far' - one should not be thinking regular travel as the only way of travel, there may be ways of moving from point A to point B we may not even imagine.

There are flaws in the human history but one should also consider the possibility of older earthers than the humans.

Level 14
There was a recently revealed case of a base often claimed by skeptics to be non-existent because they simply never found it, it is underground. According to many stories found on the web, it is a joint human-alien facility, where humans are working on the higher levels and aliens are doing things and experiments on the lower levels.

A person whom I've talked was a son of one of the researchers of that base, he revealed that the whole alien stories around this base were part of disinformation. The base was absolutely human and the disinformation was spread to cover up military projects.

However, there are cases where shiny objects shut down nuclear missiles, disturbed radio signals and leaving aside the encounters of people, there has been former USAF people who openly said there was no such human technology that could do such things.

When it comes to the common idea 'Aliens cannot reach us, we are too far' - one should not be thinking regular travel as the only way of travel, there may be ways of moving from point A to point B we may not even imagine.

There are flaws in the human history but one should also consider the possibility of older earthers than the humans.

Don't believe everything you hear from other kids in kindergarten.

Level 1
if they objectively observed us, they'd probably see US military as the worst "faction" to co-operate with. A faction that is part of the US military-industrial complex with its only interest being gaining more weapons to shoot more stuff and play world police. Why would they co-operate with any military? Their power would be superior to us, they wouldn't need support of any war machine, they could simply choose the faction with similar interest, or the one most people obey, such as the UN. If not that, the faction they'd contact would probably be scientific. But a military..? For what? They'd have nothing to gain from our military technology, and I doubt they'd like to contribute to it.

Level 14
if they objectively observed us, they'd probably see US military as the worst "faction" to co-operate with. A faction that is part of the US military-industrial complex with its only interest being gaining more weapons to shoot more stuff and play world police. Why would they co-operate with any military? Their power would be superior to us, they wouldn't need support of any war machine, they could simply choose the faction with similar interest, or the one most people obey, such as the UN. If not that, the faction they'd contact would probably be scientific. But a military..? For what? They'd have nothing to gain from our military technology, and I doubt they'd like to contribute to it.

I didn't know I'm famous enough to be quoted by stranger already.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/off-topic-478/they-among-us-238288/#post2386299

Level 5
why is there gonna be gun control in the US if its not for like, Obama's communists to take over, or even the alien invasion? I think with the amount of stars in the galaxy its obvious were not alone, and aliens are sure to have to have visited right... ok? we have to get together and save our great country

look... don't say im a lair or anything cause thers a lotta proof

Level 2
Don't believe everything you hear from other kids in kindergarten.

I am not sure who you are refering to 'kid' or 'kindergarden' but it is not good to call 'kids' those who talk about a real event such as unidentified objects when you have no clue. I am quite picky in where I get the information and I have spoken to first-hand witnesses regarding that, not the internet. Including the former military persons, not the average people who cannot distinguish explainable objects.

The truth is - I am no one to know whether there are really any 'aliens' or not, I have seen cases of military coverup using such stories as well as cases that defy human technology and by people who know what the military already have. Either way, the second cannot be excluded.

Last edited:
Level 5
Flashback? It the whole cold war time american politicans used the exact same argument to assume more power.

yes godbless all the noble souls who protected us from the evil regime of stalin...

have u seen north korea? that's why u shouldn't insult the USA cause if it was like north korea itd be bad... but its goin that way

our leader is a terrorist mastermind in disguise that orchestrated the 9/11 attacks and he may very well be enforcing gun control for the purpose of facilitating an alien invasion

obama_osama.jpg

Level 21
yes godbless all the noble souls who protected us from the evil regime of stalin...

have u seen north korea? that's why u shouldn't insult the USA cause if it was like north korea itd be bad... but its goin that way

The biggest filesharing network moved to north korea due to being harassed by (among others) americans.

Some time ago a person in the soviet union said "The difference between american propaganda and russian propaganda is that we don't believe ours"

Level 5
america once was a glorious country... it wasn't propaganda... now the Stalinists have taken over to allow the Irakazian Empire of the Milky Way to invade our planet

Level 21
america once was a glorious country... it wasn't propaganda... now the Stalinists have taken over to allow the Irakazian Empire of the Milky Way to invade our planet

Yes, america used to be a glorious country. But that was about 200 years ago. That's about when it was taken over. And the ones taking over were much more earthly.

I think you're bit of back in time. The last fewhundred years there has only been 1 side at the highest level.

Level 5
no the Irakazian's have only sent advance scouts to infiltrate our society, we can still fight them if we don't allow Obama's Communist regime to take over

Level 5
the Irakazian's are a sentient race of bipedal shape-shifting aliens which have conquered most of the Orion Belt of the Milky Way, and discovered the Sol system two-hundred years ago. They shape-shift by absorbing the biomass of their victims, thus killing whoever they imitate. However they are very vulnerable to flame, and thus have been dealt several devastating military defeats over the centuries, so they instead decide to bring down a society from the inside. After doing so, they assimilate the society into their empire.

Current Irakazian spies include Barack Obama and Christopher Nolan, it's why they espouse communist views

Level 21
the Irakazian's are a sentient race of bipedal shape-shifting aliens which have conquered most of the Orion Belt of the Milky Way, and discovered the Sol system two-hundred years ago. They shape-shift by absorbing the biomass of their victims, thus killing whoever they imitate. However they are very vulnerable to flame, and thus have been dealt several devastating military defeats over the centuries, so they instead decide to bring down a society from the inside. After doing so, they assimilate the society into their empire.

Current Irakazian spies include Barack Obama and Christopher Nolan, it's why they espouse communist views
It would be wise to prove your claims.
You didn't bring any proof. You just said "this is how things are". So I can simply say bullshit and don't even have to bother with bringing your idea down.

Level 5
no, it is fully related. The Irakazian's attacked the home-world of the Gartheus, a space-faring civilization. During the assault on their homeworld, an Irakazian infiltrated a Gartheus assault-ship, and imitated a Gartheus.

That ship, crashed in Roswell, America.

Level 11
There have been reports of Extraterrestrial sightings through out history, were they real is a question we can't answer but all ancient civilizations believed in something that came from the skies.

Even modern day religions like Christianity, Islam, Hindu etc have some depictions of Divine beings descending from skies and teaching ''humans'' how to survive. Now at the time people could not explain that differently than saying they saw a god.

There is a story in the Ancient Greek mythology how Zeus used a lightning bolt on a tree, and fire was created, thus allowing people to use it for cooking and getting warmer.

I believe that the Human civilization guided in a way, maybe they are still around but show less because of the technology we have these days. Honestly I don't believe in the modern day UFO sightings and myths.

You can even see strange depictions of ''UFO's" in pictures from the Dark Ages (Middle Ages) you can look them up on the web. There was also this Egyptian god-pharaoh Akhenaten who changed the Egyptian "religion" to worship a constellation Orion for he believed that is from where life began. Orion constellation is home to the Serious A and B stars, the brightest stars in the sky.

Here is Akhenaten and his family worshiping something that looks like a Star and yet it could be something more:

Aten_disk.jpg

I can't type no more, but honestly being alone in the universe, that is endless seems unlikely to think in the 21 century. It does not have to mean that there is an intelligent life, it could be just simple species of something... but there is most certainly life in any form.

Level 23

yes, before europeans went to america to claim Indians land as their own, the country was glorious, after that, not really

Also please dont bring god to this conversation, this is about aliens

yea, communists are in China too btw

no, it is fully related. The Irakazian's attacked the home-world of the Gartheus, a space-faring civilization. During the assault on their homeworld, an Irakazian infiltrated a Gartheus assault-ship, and imitated a Gartheus.

That ship, crashed in Roswell, America.

lol thats like claiming that "Journey to the Center of the Earth" by Jules Verne is real or saying that Eldorado really exists, no proofs man, no proofs

I can't type no more, but honestly being alone in the universe, that is endless seems unlikely to think in the 21 century. It does not have to mean that there is an intelligent life, it could be just simple species of something... but there is most certainly life in any form.

Nice post, but to this, we dont know if universe is or isnt endless
But yes, scientiests claim that there could be simple life on one of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn, I think it was Titan or Europe(I believe thats how it is called) because the planet is like 3 km of ice but there is expected to be liquid hot core(similar to earths) which can heat up the water at the bottom and be at liquid form

Level 5
Also please dont bring god to this conversation, this is about aliens

God created all creatures

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day. ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.