• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
This is just amazing... I'm thought this project is dead.
As soon as i downloaded this, i instantly finished with all 3 classes and the gameplay is amazing and much more diablo-like than D3W

What i really wish is to see this gameplay, physics , custom abilities and weapon-display system on CloudWolf's terrain and atmosphere

Really amazing stuff right there. Syltman did a great job on the terrain imo, i'd just use some more cluttering in parts, as well as a closer Z end fog. Other than that, there's just bits and pieces where you can see down off into the abyss etc, I'd replace that with pillars - all of that is more than understandable seeing as it was a demo. Maybe put some moon beams at points in the map, otherwise, i'd love to see some ruins poking out in the abyss, half covered in fog.
The spells and systems and all that were just simply superb. The camera needs to be constantly locked and set (both during intro screen + during the normal game). With more weapons, shields, armor/other items and simply more content, the game would be, simply put, incredible. Really nice job!

Level 14
Really amazing stuff right there. Syltman did a great job on the terrain imo, i'd just use some more cluttering in parts, as well as a closer Z end fog. Other than that, there's just bits and pieces where you can see down off into the abyss etc, I'd replace that with pillars - all of that is more than understandable seeing as it was a demo. Maybe put some moon beams at points in the map, otherwise, i'd love to see some ruins poking out in the abyss, half covered in fog.
The spells and systems and all that were just simply superb. The camera needs to be constantly locked and set (both during intro screen + during the normal game). With more weapons, shields, armor/other items and simply more content, the game would be, simply put, incredible. Really nice job!

Thanks, the closer Z end fog has already been added, I'm working on the clutter but it's something that you can keep adding almost all the time.

You should be able to see a pillar into the abyss somewhere but I'll see what I can do to add some more of those.

I think you guys will like the terrain alot more now but I don't dare to give out screenshots without Na_Dann's permission :)

Level 8
Thanks again for the feedback guys.
I'm currently working a bit more on the physics as I'm trying to get an acceptable ratio between realistic movement and rather little performance loss.
Apart from that I take care of the first Boss Battle (Thousand Pounder) and try to make it a bit more tactical by giving him abilities the player should try avoid for example.
Then I improved some internal systems that I use for e.g. Creep Spawning.

Regarding the terrain, thanks for your offer Oziris but currently Sylt is doing a fine job and I think it would be better if you can give him some tips and tricks.

The terrain is looking quite empty right now, that's true. But once we finished the Dungeon part we'll concentrate on polishing it and maybe try out some new ideas.

Edit:
By the way, can someone tell me what animation string I must use to make the barbarian (blademaster) play his walk animation? I tried out "walk" but it didn't work and I yet have to find it oO

Last edited:
there was a certain thing to the walk:

i am assuming he is moving the dummy unit via coordinates or by location points(do not recommend).

if you are moving the unit with x and y coordinates then you simply need to add an animation index script to it so it will play the animation every time it moves. index number is different for each unit and has to be trial and error.

Code:
Custom script:   call SetUnitAnimationByIndex(unit, index)

worked for a friend, so it should be able to work.
Changes sound great :- )

Level 11
there was a certain thing to the walk:

worked for a friend, so it should be able to work.
Changes sound great :- )

or in GUI.

• Set ArrowMovmentSpeedA = 1
  • Custom script: call SetUnitAnimationByIndex(udg_ArrowUnit, 6)
  • Custom script: call SetUnitTimeScale(udg_ArrowUnit, udg_ArrowMoveSpeedA)
Note, The number 6 is the id for walk on the model I use, you gotta try another number if you use another model.

Level 25
How can I improve the terrain?

It's difficult to give advice. It needs more decorative details. I'd say you should reference back to CloudWolf and Archian's Diablo III maps. Their terrains are outstanding and will serve as great references to learn from.

Your terrain is nice for a general WarCraft map, but it looks too average. The addition of custom content like new tiles and custom doodads to help improve the environment/atmosphere and overall meeting the standards of a Diablo III Warcraft type of mod.

Level 14
It's difficult to give advice. It needs more decorative details. I'd say you should reference back to CloudWolf and Archian's Diablo III maps. Their terrains are outstanding and will serve as great references to learn from.

Your terrain is nice for a general WarCraft map, but it looks too average. The addition of custom content like new tiles and custom doodads to help improve the environment/atmosphere and overall meeting the standards of a Diablo III Warcraft type of mod.

Alright thanks.

Level 9
Just saw this today :) great job with the physics, it's incredible. Hopefully you can create something unique to the current Diablo III maps.

Anywho, I suggest using some different units, some of those screenshots seemed pulled directly out of a an early version of CloudWolf's Diablo III map(mostly units and their posision). But I like the fact that you have not putted that much doodas into the map, but instead used the extra performance to scale everything up, I guess. Would be amazing if you could make it more of a world than just a map :)

When can we see the next demo?

Level 8
Another demo may be released once we 'finished' (rather ready for a first walkthrough) the dungeon part. However I'm not certain about this yet.

Regarding the terrain, CloudWolf was so generous to provide us an unprotected version of his map so we can browse through the models/skin we can use.
And as I dunno any other high quality dungeon tile sets these are mostly the same his map uses.
Regarding the units. Well I'm fairly limited concerning the choice of models as there are almost no Diablo 3 custom models released yet. And of course I use the Ghoul model for Ghouls and currently the Abomination for Grotesques. But apart from that I doubt we share the same models at all.

Once again I wanna mention that we really would like to hire a Texturer or Modeler!

Level 8
The bridges you are currently using are way too ugly. I would suggest you to use some custom doodads(there should be alot of fitting ones at the models section) just tinted dark. And if you don't find any you like you can always used oversized colon arcs tinted black with low z scaling(they will look like bridges)

Level 8
The bridges you are currently using are way too ugly. I would suggest you to use some custom doodads(there should be alot of fitting ones at the models section) just tinted dark. And if you don't find any you like you can always used oversized colon arcs tinted black with low z scaling(they will look like bridges)

Yeah Syltman already made a custom bridge out of doodads at a newer part.
However we struggled a bit with pathing and fence-doodads that didn't appear immediately duo to the isometric camera angle or so. But yeh, thanks for the tip. We'll try some stuff out soon.

Level 30
Bumb!

Added another video to the front page!

Bugger me o_O That truly is incredible coding you have there :O Watching that makes me realise how static my boss fights really are :D lol

I especially like how the lines appear on the floor just before he charges, giving players a chance to evade the attack :)

With some extra artwork and polishing, you may have just created the most epic battle for warcraft 3 :p

Level 9
Bugger me o_O That truly is incredible coding you have there :O Watching that makes me realise how static my boss fights really are :D lol

I especially like how the lines appear on the floor just before he charges, giving players a chance to evade the attack :)

With some extra artwork and polishing, you may have just created the most epic battle for warcraft 3 :p

I couldn't agree more, from now on, I'm going to put a lot more work into my boss-battles. If only I were able to get my boss-battles close to the quality of this one, my map would for sure be great :D

Thank you for showing me this :)

Level 8

Hehe thanks for the quick feedback!

While I'm sure not really a great coder and have to understand a lot concerning structs and other stuff actually I'm yet quite capable of coding most of the stuff I want. And for damage detection and so on there are those great coder like Jesus4Lyf who can provide me awesome systems ;)
But for now I decided to work on the map rather than concentrating on learning new things in JASS.

Creating this Battle once again reminded me on how complex everything is.
You need to take care of so much stuff :X
-no one is allowed to escape from the battle (prevent leaping / blinking outwards)
-within the cinematics the units must stand still and don't attack everything already
-creating a dynamic and a bit randomized skill-usage system for the Thousand Pounder
-give the players a chance to avoid his abilities (just as the flame trail you recognized ;) )
-some other stuff I'm missing right now ;p

But now after I did that once, creating another boss battle won't take me as long!

Regarding the visuals. I really hope some Texturer / Modeler joins the team so I can bring in some more stuff that at least remotely resembles s.th. of Diablo 3^^

I by the way removed all the weapon attachment models. While some of them were great there were huge issues with the size on e.g. the wizard model, particle and lighting effect, they too away some file size and at last, it was a hassle to test / implant them all.

Now I'm rather looking forward 4 Models for the Barbarian, Wizard, Witch Doctor and Monk.
The current Witch Doctor model is very simple and lacks nice animation and the Monk by Taylor_Mouse has a lot flaws sadly. And he doesn't seem to be modding for Wc3 anymore :(
Fortunately Gameplay matters the most! ;P

Level 8
The thousend pounder being an awesome unit concept should motivate other modelers to do it.

Level 8
Tho you wont be able to control it with slow time and reflect it with lets say Wave of Force or monks defense. So in the end it has to be triggered. And making the attack splash, makes no sense and is just a lame workaround.

Level 8
Is there any way the missle system is getting public?

There are already several projectile systems released on the Hive and Wc3C that could work like wonders for custom attack projectiles with minor edits. And a projectile system is like something really easy to code.

Status
Not open for further replies.