• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Detached rep?

How do you want your rep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Hey guys
As many of you know I am completely rewriting THW. I am working on the design of rep.

From where I see it we can implement it in two ways:

The strict way. Rep can only be attached to a post, a map, a whatever file.

The soft way. Rep can be given directly without the need of attaching it to a post. This would be the easiest way of making it and I think it would make you happier. As long as the repping tools you currently have still apply (the next to the post rep button etc).

Some may argue that "oh but then we will get rep spam" but we already do and the current system isn't stopping that anyway.

Thoughts?

Level 22
I'm not sure if I got this right, but do you mean that if we do it the strict way people will have to make a post to give rep?

Edit: Or does it mean you just give rep to the specified post like it is now?

Edit2: The soft way makes it easier and I don't think we will get more rep spam as people sometimes just locate a random post and give rep because of something completely different.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I guess the easiest would be to remove it altogether.

Level 24
I would prefer having strict rep, because then people know what they are specifically receiving +rep for.

Level 31
rep was a bad idea to begin with. Get rid of it. It's what people without it want, and what people with it want to get rid of. If someone has a reputation, then he has a reputation. Rep is like more like "Hive points" then a scale of reputation. If people know you, they know you. I don't need a bunch of little gif images to tell me that.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
I overall like it the soft way also, its quite simple and everyone gets there fair share of rep and happyness. Also, this might be offtopic as the "reps" look or the rep icon needs to be redone as it is getting old, and as we are thinking about re-doing the rep system it would be a good idea to change the overall look of it, in my point of view. But, as everyone is saying to remove it just keep this in mind.

Eh rep is fine if you ask me - though it means nothing, what you do on this site isn't connected to your actual name or identity anyways (well for most people) so you could argue anything you do here is pointless. Really it's just something to add some fun to the site.

And how can people act like their superior with their rep disabled if you disable it for everyone anyways?

Level 35
Go for the soft option. Rep seems to satisfy the userbase, it's like candy given to children. Rep is fun and dandy, I don't see why people restrict its usage so much.

Those who plea for its removal can easily do so for themselves already, via requesting an admin to do so.

Level 23
Mh, I voted for the soft way, too.
Apart from making it more easy to give rep to posts as a point why I choose it, i just want a point to the discussion rep or no rep:

Even rep might reminds of candy or seems to be useless or just an annying point, on the other hand it really gives a kind of orientation to new users: me for example. I'm here since decembre now and to start of rep really helped me to show me who the guys are, that can really help or DO help, because they proofed knowledge before!
So rep is not only bad, it just honours effort and gives an orientation on how reliable the user was in the past (don't want to say that only persons with rep are reliable, but in many cases they are jsut very experienced and helpful)

Level 15
Having reputation system on is a very good idea, cause it also serves as a motive to new members to help others.

When i joined Hive, i continually helped people in order to earn some +rep.

Reputation itself is important for some people.

So, from my experience i would vote to keep the rep system, but making it more strict so people who really deserve rep get it.

Level 24
Keep hard rep or remove it. Unfunny idiots like TDB have can get large amounts of rep, but are completely useless.

Level 27
I'm for the soft one.
Rep needs to be taken abit less seriously in my opinion.
Though removing it is a bad idea too in my idea, since it's a nice way (which is probably the original intention) to say "Hey! I like your work!".
Also, on the subject of replacing the Rep icons, we could have XP bars instead :D

Level 27
I actually kinda like that idea.

Or maybe an HP system: +rep would increase max HP, and -rep would take the actual HP value down.

I'm always for making the forum more like a game. What's the point of foruming if you always win?

For soft rep, would it be acceptable with everyone who voted hard rep if there were a URL field for soft rep? That way someone could even rep you do off-site things, like from the quote DB or something.

Level 27
Maybe we could do it like this:
+Rep = Makes XP bar go up.
Full XP Bar = Level Up.
Level Up = More HP.
HP = The Way to see somebody's Level.
-Rep = Makes HP go down.
0 HP = You Loose a Level.

Abit spiral'd, i know :p But it would be fun, right? XD

Anyways, another idea would be:
XP Bar = Rep.
User Title = XP Bar Title.
So i would be maybe, a "Level 5 Wolf-Blade Patriach" ^^

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
There are two sides of things.

Yes if somebody received rep only for doing good things then he has a lot of rep.

Yes if somebody received rep for doing lulzy and stupid stuff which some people like, then he has a lot of rep which he shouldn't.

But rep is just a part of the game and I just wanted you to be able to vote for removal even though I am not planning to get rid of it.

With detached rep I see it more like a comment system. Like "thumbs up, hey nice job there". Like a compliment or critic system. Everyone loves compliments.

Detaching will be a good idea.

Level 12
With detached rep I see it more like a comment system. Like "thumbs up, hey nice job there". Like a compliment or critic system. Everyone loves compliments.

Detaching will be a good idea.

Yea but maybe someone would be like: Omg there is no rep anymore? Then what is that reason that I make skins/icons/models/spells/scripts? I think that some people is like that.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Maybe we could do it like this:
+Rep = Makes XP bar go up.
Full XP Bar = Level Up.
Level Up = More HP.
HP = The Way to see somebody's Level.
-Rep = Makes HP go down.
0 HP = You Loose a Level.

Abit spiral'd, i know :p But it would be fun, right? XD

Anyways, another idea would be:
XP Bar = Rep.
User Title = XP Bar Title.
So i would be maybe, a "Level 5 Wolf-Blade Patriach" ^^
Everyone like graphics. I will think about it.

Yea but maybe someone would be like: Omg there is no rep anymore? Then what is that reason that I make skins/icons/models/spells/scripts? I think that some people is like that.

Detaching doesn't mean remove.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Lies, Ralle, I prefer a plain forum. :(

Level 6
I... Just think rep is stupid, so i voted to get rid of it. Cause a lot of people just go around saying random rep. But I guess its not a bad thing because for some reason it motivates people, to help other people, so that they have a bunch of gems under their name.

Actually I have nothing against Rep. I would just like it to be removed from the post display, as I don't like people slapping their e-Penis right in my face. Because thats how I see it. And if you're on it remove award icons and post count aswell.
If I'm interested in a user or actually care how much he "contributed" to the site I would check out his profile where all this stuff is being displayed.
I don't want it being smudged right in the face everytime I read a post from a user.

Status
Not open for further replies.