• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Detached rep?

How do you want your rep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
So in effect, if I remove rep, this site is no longer fun? Or, atleast, it's not near as fun as it was? Let's remove ALL your rep and see how fun it is. Start from scratch. Rep is a lot funner to the guy that has 2000 than the guy that has 2. I don't want a rep based hierarchy. I want a community of people without little numbers for how much green gifs they have acquired.

Typical response: Typical errors: Typical flawed mindset.

I still have no clue about what you meant by the punishment statement.

...I can't break down the blatantly, paintfully, and absolute minimum obvious into even more obliviously obvious little bitty chunks!

Why do you think I'm getting rather quite so peeved? I make a statement, put it in a blender, puree' the thing and strain it through a sieve, and I'm asked to break it down even further, and the point still refuses to be taken. I cannot force feed people.

It's what it looks like, so it's what I am going to have to think. Of course, saying "your wrong! your wrong! your wrong!" a lot of times never gets people anywhere.

It does when you are wrong, and refuse to listen.

"Do not take nice things from the majority, because of the ignorance of a small minority, of which rep isn't even the issue to why they are the ignorant minority in the first place."

In the end, no matter the cause, I think rep is a no-no, and that we'd be better off without it. Even if you think it is 'fun'.

I think you mean: Even if 73+ think it is fun, and a nice thing to have.

I grow weary of the usual, frustratingly unbearable lack of comprehension: I am out.

Level 31
Typical response: Typical errors: Typical flawed mindset.

lol..um..ok

...I can't break down the blatantly, paintfully, and absolute minimum obvious into even more obliviously obvious little bitty chunks!

...that had what to do with what? Please, saying what sounds like words of wisdom but are clearly just another way of saying "your wrong! GTFO!" is rather annoying.

Why do you think I'm getting rather quite so peeved? I make a statement, put it in a blender, puree' the thing and strain it through a sieve, and I'm asked to break it down even further, and the point still refuses to be taken. I cannot force feed people.

Because, you are getting peeved... We know you well enough to know when your peeved. But, don't worry, I'm a little peeved myself.

I still have no clue what the punishment thing meant. Explanations often triumph over flames... <--- I figure I might as well say stuff like that too.

It does when you are wrong, and refuse to listen.

"Do not take nice things from the majority, because of the ignorance of a small minority, of which rep isn't even the issue to why they are the ignorant minority in the first place."

Please, try to keep this on topic and on an intelligent level. I'd rather not engage in a flame war with you. If you want, you can PM me though. I am listening. Hence my replies that have to do with what you say. And, saying that I am wrong doesn't make me wrong.

I think you mean: Even if 73+ think it is fun, and a nice thing to have.

Pretty much. Then again, alot of them don't want it because it is fun. Infact, so far I've only seen you and some other guy who said that's why you want it.

Now that you have nothing else to say but "your wrong!" Calling me stupid doesn't get you anywhere. Please, try to keep this on a mature level. I guess we are done talking though...

And yeah, Dragonson, it's stupid to argue like we are, I know. But, we do it anyway! :D

Level 35
Dragonson: Besmirchment of Honour! *throws a gauntlet on the ground*

...I'm already bored.

*leaves*

...and Mr.Bob...

The punishment thing, is exactly, what it looks like.

Do not: [to not take an action]

take: [remove from someone's possession]

things: [a noun; in this case rep]

From the majority: [Those who are more than the minority]

Because of: [due to the actions of]

The ignorance: [The lack of reason, intelligence, civilised nature]

Of a small minority: [adjective = small [lesser in size]: Minority [those who are less in number than the majority]

Of which rep isn't even the issue to why they are the ignorant minority in the first place. [Rep isn't why they are ignorant: It is because they are already ignorant]

...now do you get it?

Level 31
Dragonson: Besmirchment of Honour! *throws a gauntlet on the ground*

...I'm already bored.

*leaves*

...and Mr.Bob...

The punishment thing, is exactly, what it looks like.

Do not: [to not take an action]

take: [remove from someone's possession]

things: [a noun; in this case rep]

From the majority: [Those who are more than the minority]

Because of: [due to the actions of]

The ignorance: [The lack of reason, intelligence, civilised nature]

Of a small minority: [adjective = small [lesser in size]: Minority [those who are less in number than the majority]

Of which rep isn't even the issue to why they are the ignorant minority in the first place. [Rep isn't why they are ignorant: It is because they are already ignorant]

...now do you get it?

That's not the statement I was talking about.. I meant the punishment one.

"Punish the Trolls, Punish the encouragers, Punish abusers of the system: Don't punish those who rep responsibly."

How is it punishment to take all the rep away? You must want rep. That's all I meant lol. D:

I want to say something really trollish, but I just...can't...do ...it... D;

Level 35
"Punish the Trolls, Punish the encouragers, Punish abusers of the system: Don't punish those who rep responsibly."

What it means is:

"Mods need to do their job, and not cop out on some easy half-baked fix".

(not saying mods do not do their job: if you are doing your job this is not directed at you)

How is it punishment to take all the rep away?

*facedesks*

Toy analogy! Reading comprehension, context clues, and just a dash of imagination. Is it that hard to ask?

You must want rep.

Do.not.pull.that-I am clear, you understand. And that is a command.

Ugh, why do I even bother...

For the Love of God Mr.Bob, please understand the simplest of analogies, it really, really, really does push me over the edge that you (and others) do not seem to be able to, and I can't stand it when people fling misguided motives on my character.

Level 31
I read the toy an analogy. I know how it works. All I'm saying is, you want your toys. D: That's what I said it meant in the first place and you said it didn't mean that... I am going to 'pull that' because it honestly makes the most sense. No matter how many times your going to call me an idiot or threaten me.

See? You are peeved. XD

Level 35
I'm not calling you an idiot...I'm telling you that you need to understand...

I'm not threatening you...I'm commanding you to stop saying wrong things about me...

A child does not perhaps 'want' his toy, but he does find it thoroughly unfair to get grounded from them because of his brother's stupidity.

I do not need, rep...I do not 'want' it...I proved that, and proved it again, and again.

I find it nice to have. I don't believe it should be removed just because of the stupidity of a few. Neither do I think other people should have it removed either, because of the stupidity of a few.

Do you at last...finally!, understand?

And no...you will not pull that. You.Shall.Not. Because it is not correct, and I'll not have wrong things like that put on my character, I don't care how small it may be.

Level 31
I'm not calling you an idiot...I'm telling you that you need to understand...

I'm not threatening you...I'm commanding you to stop saying wrong things about me...

A child does not perhaps 'want' his toy, but he does find it thoroughly unfair to get grounded from them because of his brother's stupidity.

I do not need, rep...I do not 'want' it...I proved that, and proved it again, and again.

I find it nice to have. I don't believe it should be removed just because of the stupidity of a few. Neither do I think other people should have it removed either, because of the stupidity of a few.

Do you at last...finally!, understand?

And no...you will not pull that. You.Shall.Not. Because it is not correct, and I'll not have wrong things like that put on my character, I don't care how small it may be.

Well yeah that's pretty much what I meant when I said you want your toys. If you find that your being punished by losing it, it means you didn't want to lose it. D: Therefore, it holds some value with you. Either that OR you just find it unfair...which is a whole other issue altogether...

We wouldn't be getting rid of it because of a few idiots, it's the idea of a number system itself that everyone is given. And no, you didn't prove crap. D:

But, you clearly enjoy your rep, so I guess it stays... as if I had any authority over the matter anyway... but, I like to pretend I do. XD

And yeah, I just pulled that. lol jk

Anyway, nice conversation. Glad we can understand each other. (Sort of anyway...) I'm also glad this didn't turn into a mindless flame war. Though, I would like to point out that your a bit arrogant in your responses. It really puts me down. I'm probably guilty of something like that too.

Level 35
OR you just find it unfair...

This.

We wouldn't be getting rid of it because of a few idiots, it's the idea of a number system itself that everyone is given.

The number system doesn't cause any lasting evil by existing in the first place.

Anyway, nice conversation. Glad we can understand each other. (Sort of anyway...) I'm also glad this didn't turn into a mindless flame war. Though, I would like to point out that your a bit arrogant in your responses. It really puts me down.

Arrogance, is given where deserved rebuke is needed. In this case, it was you attempting to undermine my purpose in supporting rep. Which I never stand for such things, as you should full well know.

Level 31

kk then. I'm not a big fan of trying to make things fair in general so that's nothing we can argue about.

The number system doesn't cause any lasting evil by existing in the first place.

I think it does. But, we've been over this.

Arrogance, is given where deserved rebuke is needed. In this case, it was you attempting to undermine my purpose in supporting rep. Which I never stand for such things, as you should full well know

I wasn't trying to undermine you, I was trying to clear up what the heck you meant in that statement.

And, I'm glad you think that you know where rebuke is needed. It makes you sound so much less arrogant. XD

Level 35
I wasn't trying to undermine you, I was trying to clear up what the heck you meant in that statement.

And, I'm glad you think that you know where rebuke is needed. It makes you sound so much less arrogant. XD

I apologise if you were not. As for rebuke, it is up to the person dishonoured to do the rebuking. Again, I do apologise if you were not, even though you seemed to be doing so, and insisting upon it.

Level 6

problem solved? If you don't want it why fight to keep it? Or am i just stupid cause i didn't find the hidden meaning within the 'want' that is some how talking about toys and rainbows?... oh and nonsense.

Well I'm sure not everyone's happy with it, of course there's always people that disagree.

I just know a lot of people new to the site see rep as something that they should work for (especially the younger noobs, as they mature they start to care less and less about rep).

Really, to amount any large amount of rep you have to be proficient in something or well liked. Sure some dumb spam or a s#$%y little comment can often get you a few points, but how many generally disliked people really got excessive amounts of it?

Level 31
Well I'm sure not everyone's happy with it, of course there's always people that disagree.

I just know a lot of people new to the site see rep as something that they should work for (especially the younger noobs, as they mature they start to care less and less about rep).

Really, to amount any large amount of rep you have to be proficient in something or well liked. Sure some dumb spam or a s#$%y little comment can often get you a few points, but how many generally disliked people really got excessive amounts of it?

Ah, see that is where we differ. : ) I'd rather not have all the younger people here on the site. But, it's all personal preference I guess.

Level 4
Just throwing it out there, why not have it so that only respected users can give rep. That way, rep is still around, and since the hive places trusts in these "respected users" we can believe that they wont abuse this "power".

I personally feel rep, when used properly, is used to measure your abilities to help and to give to the site. If people abuse it by giving for no reason, well, thats why I gave the above solution.

Just throwing it out there, why not have it so that only respected users can give rep. That way, rep is still around, and since the hive places trusts in these "respected users" we can believe that they wont abuse this "power".

I personally feel rep, when used properly, is used to measure your abilities to help and to give to the site. If people abuse it by giving for no reason, well, thats why I gave the above solution.

Ehh, many people complain THW is elitist enough already, I don't think this is a very good option. On top of that, giving mods more power over rep is asking for corruption (though we'd all like to think that these respected people would treat their power fairly, it's only human to misuse power and I feel that this would cause even more drama both among the mods and between the mods and the normal users).

Reps always seemed more as a "communities consent" thing to me anyways, as only someone who's really respected for something can actual amass large amounts of rep. People are always complaining about noobs spamming rep but really look at the big picture - one small rep spamming spree will only give out what, 5 rep to a few people? 5 rep isn't really that much to strut your e power and 5 rep to someone with tons of it is nothing.

Level 6
After seeing several arguments against rep. I realize I should've voted against it. :/ At the GU (the Gaming Universe), we had rep once, and it just led to competition and bad blood. We're over it now, and got rid of the rep system, but IMO, it's not the best thing in the world. :/

Just remember that this site is based on resources and help, so rep is a bit more tailored to this than the average social/gaming forums people talk about. =)

On the usual gaming and social-oriented forums, reputation isn't really needed since when would you really need it? Sure, you could give some info to beat a game/secrets/tips but reputation isn't needed there. I'm not saying it is "needed" here either, but it works more since this forum deals a lot with helping with actual modding/coding/whatever.

Also, some people argue that reputation is received a lot just by cracking jokes and for other stupid reasons. If you want that cut down a bit, I say disable +reputation (not -neg rep.) from the off-topic forum, since that is probably the source of most of the "reputation viable" joke posts.

Level 31
Well absolutely no one here is going to argue that reputation is needed at all, it's not necessary.

But of course that doesn't mean it should be removed, it's just something for fun so just leave it at that, something that's simply for fun.

I don't think it's fun at all. I thinks is disgusting. But, clearly, I'm of the minority.

Nah, I was focusing more on the cutting out things like Signatures and Avatars which were personalized things. From what I gathered, Ralle's going to give you the option to cut out pretty much everything except the text and the name - and it was just a joke, I'm not condemning people who use this option as robots bent on the take over of man kind

Status
Not open for further replies.