• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Detached rep?

How do you want your rep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

When I have the new forum system ready. I will make sure to implement features to hide everything rep related, hide signatures, award icons and avatars. Just so people have the option to opt-out of all those graphics if they don't want them.

Great. :)

When I have the new forum system ready. I will make sure to implement features to hide everything rep related, hide signatures, award icons and avatars. Just so people have the option to opt-out of all those graphics if they don't want them.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (lol, nah this is probably a good idea)

Actually I have nothing against Rep. I would just like it to be removed from the post display, as I don't like people slapping their e-Penis right in my face. Because thats how I see it. And if you're on it remove award icons and post count aswell.
If I'm interested in a user or actually care how much he "contributed" to the site I would check out his profile where all this stuff is being displayed.
I don't want it being smudged right in the face everytime I read a post from a user.

Well the thing about this is the type of person to slap you in the face with their reputation is normally the type of person who garners no reputation or a bad one.

I honestly don't know why all but a few of the people who say "remove reputation" don't just get their own disabled. If you really support not having it, you would've disabled it yourself by now. And if you like having those white/blue/green/orange gems, or if you just like being appreciated, then that is kind of contradictory, right? =P

To be honest, without having the whole rep thing, only a few people (not saying that I'd stop) will bother helping or contributing with resources. It is like shunning appreciation. =) Unless you are emo or something.

That is the best idea. Just let all the disabled-rep and/or emo/whatever people disable the graphics and the problem is solved.

I understand that a lot of people expect/beg for rep after they help, but I don't understand why people get so hostile toward it. It is either they get rep or they don't, and just let them whine for it if they want to. That is the easier method anyway. =D

I'm voting for soft-rep, it is the simplest method.

So you're saying people only help each other for rep?
When I feel like helping someone, I have two different reasons depending on the situation.

1. Sometimes I just want to be nice.
2. To make these people shut the hell up.*

* - That's mostly directed towards the annoying users. For instance, I hate when people complain about my models not working in their maps despite I've tested them before I submit them and that moderators tested them before they approved.

Remove rep, we have awards for this sort of thing.

Well the thing is awards are hard to get, you really have to be good at something to get them. Rep is easy to get if you have at least some form of talent, thus its not like "why the f@#% does this guy get so much attention?" every time someone new gets to the site.

I say keep it because:
1) It's often a noobs sole reason for continuing
2) They allow you to recognized for things that awards won't typically recognize you for (like music, for a while there wasn't a single contest in there, but you could post music in the forum and people would rep you if you like it. It also can gratify you for things like: being funny, intelligent or having a really odd talent).
3) Everybody loves graphics
4) Post count isn't a very good indication of the "awesome factor" of someone, because they can talkative douche. At least rep makes you work a little bit to get it.

Level 31
I think it is important to distinguish between noobs and newbs. I don't like noobs. I like newbs. End of discussion.

Also, I've noticed people who help for rep generally don't give very good help. People with lots of rep and couldn't care less, help a lot more. It makes sense if you think about it long enough.

I am sick of people being nice to me just because I have a decent amount of rep. Then again, I was sick of people treating me like crap because I had no rep. Rep sucks either way.

Let's use the spring rts forums as an example. I love that forum.

The spring rts forums have no rep. Yet, it is the most helpful, least dramatic, most mature, and prosperous forums I've ever been at. Why? Because, the people who stay are the people who should stay. The people who help because they just do. It's amazing how you can join a forum with no rep and be treated just as well as a popular mod. Stuff gets done. And, the drama is at a minimal.

I also think post count should only be shown on the user profile.

So you're saying people only help each other for rep?

That isn't necessarily what I said. =\ Or at least not what I meant.

Some might answer for rep, but I'm sure a lot of people don't answer questions expecting a +rep automatically. It is just nice to receive when people give it. I'm sure a lot of people just answer the questions when they know the answer.

Sure, there are a lot of bad things about reputation, example: people request it, how people get it just for making something funny, people getting it just because they are popular. But overall, it is pretty much an improvement to the forum. This forum isn't as social as others (where reputation wouldn't really make a difference), which is why reputation tailors so nicely to it. Removing it will probably make some people get lazy, and it will probably make people less excited to make long posts explaining things thoroughly when they can just be very broad with one sentence and leave the poor inquisitive soul left there, sobbing trying to figure out how the hell to fix his problem. =P

I think the solution with the 'show/hide rep' option is a quite good idea.
So the people who doesn't want to see the rep, just hide it. So the rep symbols are
hidden, and all, who wants rep to be removed, are happy.
Some people want rep, so they can activate it.
Also, not all people help for rep. Rep is 'sometimes' a way to show that you helped
someone. Ofc there are people who just mass rep, just for fun.
But without rep, I think the people, who asks questions, get far less answers than with
rep. It's because rep is sometimes a motivation. Not everybody does it for rep ofc, but
some people like it to have a high rep count.

I also find the idea with an experience bar quite interesting.
would give the forum a kind of roleplaying feeling.

If Ralle tends to keep the system (which he'll probably do anyway), he should at least change the name from reptuation to something else (like Shiny orbs, Gold coins, XP Points or +E-Penis).
If people recieves +rep for no proper reasons, it defeats the purpose of having actual reputation (I've seen morons here that has lots of rep points when they didn't deserve it).
So either remove the system or change the name.

Level 27
But... Reputation generally means how known you are.
And giving +rep generally is like saying "i acknowledge your existance." (especially if it's for no proper reason).
So i can't see why the name doesen't fit :p

Thanks for the comments on the XP system. :)
Have to say though that i pretty much pulled it out of my arse in need of better. ;)

Level 30
How about we make a seperate sort of reputation that only moderators can give? For each approved resource or for each really contributive post or something. Shouldn't be overused though :p I don't mean we should give moderators more work. Because if they stumble accros something that's "rep"worthy, it's not much of an effort to give rep. Right.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
You mean I'll never have to see the rep system in the entire forum?
SWEET!
Yeah that was the idea
I think it is important to distinguish between noobs and newbs. I don't like noobs. I like newbs. End of discussion.

Also, I've noticed people who help for rep generally don't give very good help. People with lots of rep and couldn't care less, help a lot more. It makes sense if you think about it long enough.

I am sick of people being nice to me just because I have a decent amount of rep. Then again, I was sick of people treating me like crap because I had no rep. Rep sucks either way.

Let's use the spring rts forums as an example. I love that forum.

The spring rts forums have no rep. Yet, it is the most helpful, least dramatic, most mature, and prosperous forums I've ever been at. Why? Because, the people who stay are the people who should stay. The people who help because they just do. It's amazing how you can join a forum with no rep and be treated just as well as a popular mod. Stuff gets done. And, the drama is at a minimal.

I also think post count should only be shown on the user profile.
It sounds right.
If Ralle tends to keep the system (which he'll probably do anyway), he should at least change the name from reptuation to something else (like Shiny orbs, Gold coins, XP Points or +E-Penis).
If people recieves +rep for no proper reasons, it defeats the purpose of having actual reputation (I've seen morons here that has lots of rep points when they didn't deserve it).
So either remove the system or change the name.
Yeah reputation is not the word for it. It has nothing to do with reputation.

It needs to get a less person-related name. Like gold, but that's not a good name.

It could be called gratitude.

That would confuse the noob mappers and noob downloaders, especially when authors mention "please give me credit when you use my model" in their descriptions. Noobs will probably think about the rep system while the authors actually mean an acknowledgement in the mappers's projects.

Graditude sounds good enough to me.

Level 27
Hive Points? :p
That couldn't be misunderstood in any way.

In my opinion, gratitude is abit...
Let me explain: I (for example) like the way one of you puts a raging newcomer in his place.
So i think "Hey! Nice!" and i give you some [ensert whatever name we choose here].
I just don't think gratitude fits in here.
Also, gratitude doesen't really go away from reputation the way we want it, it actually makes it more personal :p

Possible names:
-Awesome Factor
-XP
-Hive-bucks (Hivorz, Hivuros, etc. etc., you get the point)
-Orbs - something plain and simple and calling it what it really could work, If you do this then the old gems would probably be the best
-Credits - seems perfectly fine to me if you distinguish which of the 2 meanings its supposed to be
-Gratitude

Level 31
In my opinion, the main problem with the current reputation system is how you can get lots of rep by calling someone a retard in some funny way.

Wether you get it like a crook or a saint, it doesn't matter. What matters is how people treat you when you have it. It carries directly over to the stability of this community. I honestly don't care if someone gets it by means of saying a bunch of random humorous crap. Nor do I care if someone gets it by making a bunch of great textures. Either way, they are treated like gods, and in the end, they receive lighter punishment for breaking the rules.

Level 17
Uhm, dunno if that was already mentioned ...
If reps are completely removed, there is only one type of award in contests/challanges left that contestants "fight for" - the icon. Third and second place won't make any sense anymore. (Well, some of you guys probably think this is not an argument quick on the trigger, however I do)

Edit:
Oh and btw, if reps are removed, how are mods going to punish certain users?
If some1 e.g. double posts twice, will he/she get instant-banned? I think it might be too harsh. Negrep would probably fit better here... (extremely depending on that user :p)

Level 18
If reps are completely removed, contests/challanges and stuff will give contestants only one type of award they can get - the icon. Third and second place won't make any sense anymore. (Well, some of you guys probably think this is not an argument quick on the trigger, however I do)
The icons are great by itself, even for the second and third place. And rep shouldn`t be the main reason to join a contest.
I think more hurted by removing rep will be artists. Credits is a very small thing for their work.

Level 34
<reads something>

Guys, just face the facts: Whenever Elenai posts in a thread, he'll then attempt to lure you to post a response out in order to make an tautologous post, so that it'll end up in an eternal loop. And the bitch can draw too, making it even harder for you to win an internet argument against him.

After all, he's a TAZER (the Z stands now for Zionist!)

Level 10
As I said rep should stay. But I agree with point that it should have different name (not lolcrap name liek "E-penises") because "reputation" doesn't fit, something like "Gold Coins" "XP" would fit. Maybe "Crystals" since rep icons are gems.

Besides over half of people on THW make resources, help others for rep, since they are addicted of it. Removing it would drastically reduce resource making and helping rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.