Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Altered Melee] Custom Race Creation (v7) -- _PROJECTNAMEHERE_

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Kyrbi0, Feb 28, 2018.

1. lichao001486

lichao001486

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very good troll race map.

2. Michael Peppers

Michael Peppers

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hey! Is this what I think it is? I don't have wc3 installed at the moment, did you fix the Custom Race System bug with versions starting from 1.28 (I think)? According to my old tests (12/2018) after fixing a line in the code it works fine even in never Wc 3 versions.

Anyway, I don't see my name in the credits for the AI, naughty 'mon. Is it not there? :O

(Want me to upload my version? With AI and fixes?)

EDIT: I'm editing so you know I edited this multiple times

3. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Mike, my man! Glad to have you back in the ol' "Custom Race Creation" topic. : )

Oh man, I knew no matter how hard I worked on the Credits, I'd miss something... However as far as I know there's no AI file imported into the Jungle Troll Fever map (isn't that still how it's done?). If you did it entirely in code, on the other hand...

Either way, let me know & I'll absolutely get you in there. We can add it in, and all the better if it works with Reforged (against my better judgement, I'm looking into the updates necessary to get it working on modern (post-1.26, lol) versions of Wc3. So far it just seems like an issue with certain custom icons causes a crash...)

4. Michael Peppers

Michael Peppers

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    D00D!

This is from early december 2018, I checked on it (like half an hour maybe) and made it working fine on whatever 1.32 version was rolling at the time, as an easy aside (and casual melee fun) to getting back my old mod into a working *and* workable state in the editor (which has stopped for weird code glitches). As far as the icons go I *may* have reimported some of them, I don't remember doing it specifically for your map but I noticed and fixed this issue in my old stuff.

Probably the version of the map you dug up is before we added the AI in, AI in this version is working and stable, if a bit more aggressive than standard melee, as usual when it comes to my template, handicap rules for AI Trolls are the same as for Players ofc. (90% Orc) AI could be unable to use some Unit Abilities correctly but that's tied to the base of said Custom Ability... or at least was, I sure hope they fixed this shit by now by making us decide what Spell behavior to use instead.

tl;dr: Worked in earlier 1.32 versions, dunno if it works now. AI is teh shiz.

EDIT: I checked again in the modding folder, I downloaded BTNOrcLumberMill around the same time, if I remember correctly it's the only icon that caused any issues in the map.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  5. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Can confirm it appears to work (in singleplayer at least) just fine on the latest live patch. I Will hopefully find the time within a few days to test it a bit further (and more thoroughly as well).

For now I'll just leave this little screenshot here which I found rather entertaining:
    upload_2020-8-6_22-33-46.png

6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Awful kind of you to test 'em out. : ) I'm definitely curious for your thoughts (recognizing that much of the stuff I've replaced, so don't put too much effort into critiquing it ; )

I'm very curious, though, about your statement that it worked in the latest version. Like, not just the AI, but the whole thing? No crash when you open the Build menu???

7. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I didn't put any computer player into the game so I will have to get back to you on the point regarding whether the AI works.
    However I couldn't replicate any crash by messing around and building/training most of the stuff available, so that's a good sign.

8. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Heck yeah it is! In fact I just finished a test of my own, and not only did the AI work, but the game didn't crash! :D

Honestly I might just be able to submit this to the Maps section as is now. Might tweak the Credits a bit, but I'm certainly not going to add any new resources or spells...

Thank you, Peppers!

9. Michael Peppers

Michael Peppers

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    No worries, I had fun doing it, I wish it was that simple for my own stuff but... no dice.

10. Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Finally got around to being able to play with these guys. (Playing in v1.31)
    I love that the workers have piercing attacks, for some reason. So simple but usually everyone just keeps worker attacks being normal.
    Headhunt skill is really awesome (although it may also work when your trolls get squished, the effect popped up when my Hunter got killed by a Sea Elemental.) ...Looking at the triggers, it says to fix, I'd think the intended fix was to add if they even have the Headhunt skill in the first place.
    Mangonel's passive says it hits 0 targets. my my. ...and apparently has no disabled icon.

Tiki Warrior essentially being anti-hero intrigues me. hmmmmm. ideas.

Vampire bat has catapult icon and no model. huh.
    Basilisk's Myotoxin ability says it stuns target unit, but seems to slow in an AoE

Dartmon's tree climb is really really unique. I love it. apparently you can climb up a tree on top of a cliff and get your friend stuck there. Oh dear.

Aaand Hexxer's Null Ward killed the game. Huh.

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for playing; I'm glad you enjoyed. Don't get too attached to all that, though, as much of it has since changed. : )

I appreciate the list of errors. I'm only willing to fix so much (given that it's really just an 'Alpha' & I'm working on much later versions), but it's good to know because I planned on putting it into the Resource section.

12. Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Has it? Now I'm a bit curious to how much it's been changed up then.

i'd think that killing the game should be fixed at least.
    Or maybe the way these guys win is by crashing everyone's game. Hmmmmm. That'd be weird.

13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You didn't know? You downloaded the Alpha; did you not read the post directly underneath it? : ) Some fun teasers in there.

14. Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I grabbed it when it was uploaded, memory's about as much as a goldfish, haha.

15. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Alright, I've fixed the Null Ward crash (& in the process, actually reworked it so it, um, works), and I've updated the Myotoxin ability to have a non-Zero % chance of Stunning (err, Paralyzing).

I double-checked & the Vampire Bat does have a (custom) model & has the Destroyer icon, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

0's in tooltips are too many to count; we'll see if someone dings me on that. xD Same with missing icons.

Many thanks! I've made the "map submission" upload to Wc3C; now just gotta work on the one for the Hive.

16. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I will update this post with more thoughts as I test further. A few points straight away:
    • Because of the new way Reforged displays hotkeys it currently looks a bit funky:
      upload_2020-8-16_13-46-27.png
    • Regarding Crawl(ing), it's a nice concept but I personaly dislike how the unit type changes when the unit begins crawling because the game then treats it as separate units when you for instance CTRL+Select a given type, also it is regarded as two unit types in the unit tab:
      upload_2020-8-16_13-48-5.png
      This might be a design decision (in which case one I would love to discuss in further detail).
    • Like someone mentioned about it was really cute how the worker has a ranged (and piercing) attack - nice attention to detail.
    • Disclaimer: I have not checked all units in detail so far.. but: It feels like even the basic units from the normal barracks have quite a lot going on in terms of abilities (both passive and active). This isn't inherently bad (albeit a bit intimidating as a new player), but I thought it worth mentioning.
    • Boar Hut seems kinda nifty and it's a nice way to recycle the Pig Farm model (we do the same in SoC). However it wasn't 100% clear to me what it does, it spawns pigs with wander that go around and attack enemies randomly? I'm thinking if you have a 5-6 farms and the game goes on for an hour that's a lot of units, I hope it's not an issue with regards to the game engine (honestly don't know)
    • This ability tooltip seems a bit broken:
      upload_2020-8-16_14-0-34.png
    • Spawning Troll Berserkers from the shop is kind of cool, but it seems to be the default Orc unit?
      upload_2020-8-16_14-1-45.png
    • Chopping down a tree with a mounted Dartmon behaves a bit funky, maybe the unit should be unmounted or killed?
      upload_2020-8-16_14-7-32.png

Now I gotta run but I will update this down the line. I would also love to play it "for real" within short.

Edit: Forgot to add the most important point: This looks really well made and the overall polish is there, and although a few models look a bit "meh" it's clear that you've made great use of the community resources available.

Attached Files: