• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Altered Melee] Custom Race: Kingdom of Stromgarde

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help testing and balancing my custom race before I post it.

This is an edit of the melee map Stromguarde to include the Kingdom of Stromgarde as a playable race.

Kingdom of Stromgarde design idea based on the lore of Stromgarde being overrun by foes. Most abilities have a compromise component. For every buff there is a debuff applied and both grow stronger as upgrades are researched.

To play the Kingdom of Stromgarde, select Human and click Yes at the start of the map. Built on the latest verison reforged Classic

Attachments

• 354852-13f8d62e42f44a6dbf05960c4b8fcf73.png
    354852-13f8d62e42f44a6dbf05960c4b8fcf73.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 315
  • KingdomofStromguarde(6)stromguarde1.2.w3x
    3.5 MB · Views: 141
Level 17
A friend requested me to stress test your map. i had some fun, what i say is on the fly, in no order.

• Hurler Stance still has the berserk icon and description on the buff. i suggest giving a green tint to the weapons since the icon is Green. 🤷‍♂️ 🙂

• Markswomans Arrow Rain has poor visual feedback, it says each piece deals 25/30/35 damage, so each arrow ? because the amount of arrows raining
from the sky makes me think these enemies are going to die pretty fast. but the damage that actually happens is very minor.
• Paladins spells feel nice. all things considered ;D
• Guard Towers having Magic Sentry maybe feels a little off.
• Warmasters first 2 ability icons are too messy.
• My lore game isn't up to par i'm not sure if the building models being more wooden suits this faction or not, but i like them, and the rest of the cast
overall. they are a good choice. and if you made any of them yourself, well made.
• If Markswomans supersonic arrow doesn't atleast deal a borderline combined damage of level 123 Stormbolt, its probably underpowered, if it does, its
probably abit too much one shotty, so basically try to change the ability 🙂 up a little.
• The Cavalerymans upgrade requires Long Rifles... woops 😛 but it does what it says it does, great passive.
• Idk what's the idea of the Baloons throwing axe thrower models, its really funny, but obviously not really reasonable unless its executed otherwise.
But with that said, i like the Workshops units.
• Orb of Fire requires a Castle, aaand i have no Castle.
• Nice thing to mention Oblate's healing ability restores more hp on Ethereal units, but it was kind of what already happened. but i guess their heal is
acting different then the regular one.
• Nullify Magic can use a better icon. looks like i'm about to corrupt someones soul. though Shadow Word Pain is gr8 generally.
• Backfire can have the Executors shield up while using it.
• Execute requires a lawn mower. i mean sorry, Long Rifles 😅
• Alchemist is short and simple, i like it. i'd almost say him and Executor gives u more of a reason to shake up that Oblate so he is complete too.
• Warmasters ultimate can be improved visually.

In any case, i had my fun, hope you had yours while making, see you around :thumbs_up:

A friend requested me to stress test your map. i had some fun, what i say is on the fly, in no order.

• Hurler Stance still has the berserk icon and description on the buff. i suggest giving a green tint to the weapons since the icon is Green. 🤷‍♂️ 🙂

• Markswomans Arrow Rain has poor visual feedback, it says each piece deals 25/30/35 damage, so each arrow ? because the amount of arrows raining
from the sky makes me think these enemies are going to die pretty fast. but the damage that actually happens is very minor.
• Paladins spells feel nice. all things considered ;D
• Guard Towers having Magic Sentry maybe feels a little off.
• Warmasters first 2 ability icons are too messy.
• My lore game isn't up to par i'm not sure if the building models being more wooden suits this faction or not, but i like them, and the rest of the cast
overall. they are a good choice. and if you made any of them yourself, well made.
• If Markswomans supersonic arrow doesn't atleast deal a borderline combined damage of level 123 Stormbolt, its probably underpowered, if it does, its
probably abit too much one shotty, so basically try to change the ability 🙂 up a little.
• The Cavalerymans upgrade requires Long Rifles... woops 😛 but it does what it says it does, great passive.
• Idk what's the idea of the Baloons throwing axe thrower models, its really funny, but obviously not really reasonable unless its executed otherwise.
But with that said, i like the Workshops units.
• Orb of Fire requires a Castle, aaand i have no Castle.
• Nice thing to mention Oblate's healing ability restores more hp on Ethereal units, but it was kind of what already happened. but i guess their heal is
acting different then the regular one.
• Nullify Magic can use a better icon. looks like i'm about to corrupt someones soul. though Shadow Word Pain is gr8 generally.
• Backfire can have the Executors shield up while using it.
• Execute requires a lawn mower. i mean sorry, Long Rifles 😅
• Alchemist is short and simple, i like it. i'd almost say him and Executor gives u more of a reason to shake up that Oblate so he is complete too.
• Warmasters ultimate can be improved visually.

In any case, i had my fun, hope you had yours while making, see you around :thumbs_up:
Thanks for the feedback, it will help a lot. I'll give a couple answers to some of the things you mentioned.

I'm not sure if the building models being more wooden suits this faction - In lore it is the oldest human kingdom and was overrun by the syndicate and trolls and ogres. I wanted to give the impression of being old and beaten. I Haven't made any of the custom resources. I will be adding the credit list when I post eventually add it to the maps section

Balloons throwing axe thrower models - it was supposed to be a the axe throwers axe model

Orb of Fire requires a Castle - I completely forgot about the items

Oblate's healing ability restores more hp on Ethereal units - I noticed a lot of custom heal spells people make don't have that aspect. I didn't realize heals had a greater effect on ethereal units until about 2 years ago and I've been playing since the game came out. So I added it to the tooltip.

reason to shake up that Oblate - It originally had a temporary shadow form that improved the effects of Shadow Word Pain and Nullify Magic and gave a life steal, but removed its ability to cast lay on hand. But I had trouble with the ability and removed it. If you have any ideas for how to improve the unit I'll take them.

When I have the things fixed and I changed a few things I'll send you a message.

Last edited:
Level 6
Cool idea, would like to see it used in some sort of campaign :)
I've done a quick playthrough. Obviously, most units are simply reskins from the human tree and the same goes for abilities but I'm not saying it's a bad thing but rather creative use of what you already have in store.

Level 17
Update: I've made all of the corrections advised by StormKnight and some of my own. I'm attaching the updated map to be tested again before I post it to the map section. I plan to post it in a week or two.
What version of Warcraft 3 are you making this map on ? i tried to test it on latest, but ... i'm not sure.

If you're developing on an older version please tell the number of the patch to me so i can test it in the patch it was made for.

Update:
Changes
- I've done what i can to fix the visual feed back on Arrow Rain. Turns out reforged missed up the maxium pitch and roll for units so i replaced the the falling arrow with a custom model. For those confused by the tool tip here how th ability works compared to blizzard. Lv 1 bizzard will do 30 damage per wave to units in the aoe regardless of the number of shards whilst Lv1 Arrow Rain individual fragments deal damage to the individual units they hit in the aoe

- Replaced the Gilneas Structures models and icons by bakr with his Stromgarde ones he released

- Lowed hp of men-at-arms and hurlbat

- Fix tooltip descriptions and requirements

- Added several defensive structures; observation tower with true sight. Upgrades into the other towers; Balista tower, effecive aganist meduim armour(ranged); Gunnery tower, effecive aganist small and unarmour armour(Casters and flyers); Fragal Magic tower, effecive aganist large armour(melee);
Fortified Mortar Tower, aoe and effecive aganist fortified armour(Buildings and siege tanks) has min attacks range, if units get in melee range its dead.

This probly the last or second update before I post the map. Thanks for all help.

Futures plans

Current Projects:
- Custom Race: The Eternals. "Idea" An dead race making use of many egyptian themmed models and icons on this site. Insperation (Necrons 40k. Tomb Kings WH, Age of Mythology Egyptians) -(WIP)-

- Custom Race: Admiralty of Kul Tiras. Started this race back when reforged came out and never finished. from what i remember it was almsot done.

I also posted several ideas on my profile for those interested

Attachments

• KingdomofStromguarde(6)stromguarde1.2.w3x
    3.6 MB · Views: 56
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    5.4 MB · Views: 71
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    7.2 MB · Views: 76
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG