1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Creative passive ultimates

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by Apostle, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Apostle

Apostle

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok, after some experimenting with the editor I found a way to combine several passive abilities into one ultimate, let me give you an example, let's say you want a passive ultimate that gives the hero 200 extra hp, a hp regeneration aura, and reduces the the damage the hero takes from spells.

first off you modify engineering bonus and make it an ultimate, create 2 spellbook abilities,
    one empty and the second containing

-item life bonus (lesser) for 200hp
    -a modified unholy aura that only regenerates hp
    -a modified Elune's grace ability that reduces the damage the hel takes from spells

Make sure both spell books have 0 for their x position and -11 for their y position so they will not be visible

The hero has to have the empty spellbook as a default ability
    Modify the engineering upgrade so that it upgrades from the empty spellbook to the one containing the abilities when learned, give the hero the engineering upgrade ability (rename it to make it more fitting)

Now you have essentially combined several passives into one ultimate

I want some creative ideas for these passive ultimates however, I was thinking of something like

Divine shell - Reduces the damage taken from magic attacks by 50% and adds 8 extra armor to the hero

Anyway please provide your ideas for this type of ability, I will give rep for your contributions

2. noob2

noob2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well passive books did already exist a long time ago.
    You can also use a script instead of engineering upgrade if you are afraid of making WC3 crash.

3. Apostle

Apostle

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't think you understood what I was saying, this basically allows you to combine several abilities under the umbrella of being one passive ultimate, I just need some creative ideas to make things interesting

4. xISLx

xISLx

Resources:
    Resources:
    That is a nice way to do this, yet, there're better ways to achieve that in triggers. Why won't you use them? (Said a person who sticks to MUI and who doesn't want to learn Jass lol)
    Just joking. Your method is nice because it's doable through OE.

You can add your spellbook to a hero when he learns his ultimate,
    And then you can disable it through triggers so it would be invisible (The spellbook is disabled and can't be accessed, but all the passives inside of it are functioning).
    I didn't know that setting a spell's X to 0 and Y to -11 would do the same tho.

Now here are some ideas, or, precisely speaking, combinations:

1. The most OP combination - Critical Strike, Cleave, Life Steal.

2. A Tank combination - Hero receives "Hardened Skin" and additional armor.

3. The Master of War (a general's pack) - Some auras which would give armor or additional damage to all allied units.

4. Lightning Speed - Hero receives additional movement speed and a permanent Lightning Shield (modified Immolate).

P.S. I never honestly liked the idea of passive ultimates, have you seen those in more modern MOBA games? LoL, Hots, in these games all heroes have at least 4 abilites and none of these are straightforward passives. These abilites may have secondary passive effects, but they're also bound to have active effects. Also almost all of the heroes have their Traits - main passives which complete a hero's gameplay. HOTS also has it's awesome idea of talents which makes the gameplay more colorful. Now think about what we can see in Dota 2 with its old concepts - Wraith/Skeleton King: 1 active which is a singel-target CC and 3 damned passives. How much fun does it bring and how much skill does it take? Rly.
    I haven't played Dota 2 for a long, but it surely won't fascinate me now. It played awesome as Dota in WC3, but the times change. It's laid a foundation for a new genre, but now the game is behind it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  5. noob2

noob2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well a passive book is a book full of passives that you hide by disallowing the book itself.
    It is commonly used for making one skill add more than one passive(like spend one point in spiral of awesome and you get 5% chance or reducing attack damage of 100 and 1% chance of casting Armageddon on hit and 5% chance of bashing) or allowing to put more effects in objects.
    Oh and before dota there was aeon of strife in starcraft 1

6. Blake8

Blake8

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    @Apostle, try asking @Shar Dundred what combinations of passive abilities make a unit op, dont bother explaining the mechanics of what you're trying to do because it'll just make things more confusing

7. noob2

noob2

Resources:
    Resources:
    The objective is not to have an op unit: for that you just take the passive:instant victory: when you attack a trigger show you the win screen and show the lose screen to the others.
    What he wants is passives that works fine in place of an ultimate.

8. Blake8

Blake8

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    It has to be kinda op in order to replace an active ultimate

9. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Last Stand: Gains increased armor, damage and attackspeed at low HP (melee heroes only). The effect is lost if healed.

Guardian Angel: When an attack or spell is about to kill the hero, teleports the hero X distance away from the attacking unit.

Fount of Magic: Places a positive/negative buff on a nearby allied/hostile unit every X seconds.

Unending Torment: Enemies that attack the hero get a random negative buff.

Godshield: Blocks an attack every X seconds.

Magic Mirror: Whenever a spell targets the hero, cancels the spell and casts it (the unit version) back at the caster.

10. Apostle

Apostle

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think you guys misunderstood, the abilities I'm trying to use for this have to be without triggers, and also Im not trying to get a super op ability, its more that a passive ultimate has to be equally useful as compared to its active counterpart, therefore it pretty much has to be stronger than any regular passive ability

11. A]mun

A]mun

Resources:
    Resources:
    ^ These are some cool ideas.

12. Lord_Earthfire

Lord_Earthfire

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    In fact, i will keep that idea in mind. It will surely help when there is a new non-Trigger Hero-contest (or challenge) rolling up.

13. Nowow

Nowow

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think your best bet for a very simple and powerful passive ult is a slight modification of the "permanent immolation" ability. You can tweak the ability to damage all units in a range of 500-600 by 1-2 damage per second. This might sound like a little, but can by potentially deadly for low HP units, and will turn any continued fight with your hero to a very problematic situation.

14. Blake8

Blake8

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Ok here are some ideas:

Spell amulet shield ability + resistant skin

spell amulet shield ability + 8 bonus armor

20 attack bonus + 8 bonus defense

permanent immolition + spell immunity

200 hp bonus + upgrade all other abilities

15. Blake8

Blake8

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    also you can use my second chance ability combined with other abilities (from the mountain map I send you) what this ability does is when a hero is defeated he transforms into a voidwalker and if the voidwalker is not defeated within a certain interval the hero re-appears

16. Apostle

Apostle

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Blake8 rs

That's not a bad idea, I'll try it out!

also although Im not a super huge fan of Arkain I liked Gardon's ability set, his war aura is super op, and is one of the things which makes him so damn powerful in the field, now I dont wanna copy this but I want something similar; a support ability which makes a tremendous difference in the field

17. Lord Siler

Lord Siler

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Apostle Which type of hero are you trying to have?

Offensive (spellcaster or warrior)

Defensive (tank)

healer

support

other type (?)

specify please cause this would make things a lot clearer for everyone and will be of great importance to determining the type of ability the hero needs

18. Apostle

Apostle

Resources:
    Resources:
    Basically a support type hero

19. Lord Siler

Lord Siler

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm, maybe try upgrading all the other abilities, plus giving it hardened skin and partial resistance to magic or are you trying to make the unit extremely strong through this ultimate?

20. Apostle

Apostle

Resources:
    Resources:
    What do you mean through this ultimate?