• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #6 - Tribal Princess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I will go for this pose.

Attachments

• TPC.jpg
    TPC.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 252

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Try lowering the closest shoulder and the farthest hip to give her a more dynamic pose. Right now it looks a bit static. I can do a paintover if you don't understand - I suggest you come to chat. :3

Level 25
Well, skipping school work to join this; despite the fact that I won't be able to compete with you guys. Anyway, early WIP :)
Concept - Tribal Princess Preview.png
Not the most original stuff around, trying to mix native american and african culture.
I'm also seeing some anatomy failures, but what ever... I might fix it later... And I'm sure I'll end up trying to get magic and shit in to this... :p

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Her left hand is fine. You should remake the entire right arm, though, because it looks like she's resting it on something.

Level 3
I'm not much of an artist, but I have a good concept. After all, this is the Concept Art Contest. I'm aiming for a sea based princess, controlling the waves and all of the aquatic creatures under the sea. I'll try not to make her look like a mermaid, or else it wouldn't really be much of a concept.

Level 14
I'm not much of an artist, but I have a good concept. After all, this is the Concept Art Contest. I'm aiming for a sea based princess, controlling the waves and all of the aquatic creatures under the sea. I'll try not to make her look like a mermaid, or else it wouldn't really be much of a concept.

However she needs to be a Tribal Princess.

Level 3
However she needs to be a Tribal Princess.
She rules over the tribe of the Aquamen and Aquawomen (pending names?).
Tribal Sea Princess.jpg
She looks as if sitting, and she is. I'll add a throne later. Her left hand is made of scales, and with it she can control any sea creature. With her right hand made of coral, she can bend the water to do whatever she wills. I didn't do the coral very good, but I'll improve it later. That scribley thing under her right hand is water she is controlling, which will hopefully become more recognizable when I add color. Hands have never been my strong point, so I hope I do ok. The title and signiture got cut off, but that is not important. I was using some recycled scrap paper, so you may see faded text at the very left, but it is not important. Things to add:
  • Finish Face
  • Add Throne
  • Add Aquaman Bodyguard
  • Darken Lines
  • Add More Accesories
  • Add Water Detail
  • Add Background Elements
  • Color
Not neccesarily in that order. I'm accepting contructive criticism as I don't expect to win, but to improve my skills so I may win in the future.

Level 14
View attachment 109009
She looks as if sitting, and she is. I'll add a throne later. Her left hand is made of scales, and with it she can control any sea creature. With her right hand made of coral, she can bend the water to do whatever she wills. I didn't do the coral very good, but I'll improve it later. That scribley thing under her right hand is water she is controlling, which will hopefully become more recognizable when I add color. Hands have never been my strong point, so I hope I do ok. The title and signiture got cut off, but that is not important. I was using some recycled scrap paper, so you may see faded text at the very left, but it is not important. Things to add:
  • Finish Face
  • Add Throne
  • Add Aquaman Bodyguard
  • Darken Lines
  • Add More Accesories
  • Add Water Detail
  • Color
Not neccesarily in that order. I'm accepting contructive criticism as I don't expect to win, but to improve my skills so I may win in the future.

*Slowly gets away from screen*

View attachment 109009
  • Finish Face
  • Add Throne
  • Add Aquaman Bodyguard
  • Darken Lines
  • Add More Accesories
  • Add Water Detail
  • Color

Knees are not visible, which should be contracted, if she's sitting. I don't understand someone should have their arms extended and under angle of 45° and showing the entire palm to the front camera isn't a natural position unless she wants to hold something/someone back. Torso seems too long, unless lower parts are supposed to be upper legs, but there is nothing visible. Water is hard to do properly, maybe for better understanding, making it more cartoony, unless you are pr0. Overall the body doesn't seem too symmetric and the feet are bit wierd made, she must bi sitting quite high.

Level 13
i actually enjoy the theme and would like to participate, but i fear this will turn into a vacuous pile of sexploitation and female objectification, and i wouldn't want to associate myself with that. i think that for this contest to be properly judged, at least one judge should be a female... i don't know how easy it would be to find a female user on this forum, tough

Level 13
...If that's such a huge concern to you, I guess that asking enjoy would always be an option. ;_;

pestering a specific member of the forum based solely on it's gender hardly seems like the correct course of action, perhaps issuing an invitation in the notice board would be more appropriate?

EDIT:eek:k, i didn't know she was the administrator, in that case it seems contacting her would be less of an harassment. i initially thought she was the token female member of the community, and thought you were being all like "hey, she's a chick, so she's the one we should ask about chick stuff"

i actually enjoy the theme and would like to participate, but i fear this will turn into a vacuous pile of sexploitation and female objectification, and i wouldn't want to associate myself with that. i think that for this contest to be properly judged, at least one judge should be a female... i don't know how easy it would be to find a female user on this forum, tough

You sexist.
By your logic, a homosexual male should work too. Seems pretty weird to me to select a judge based on sexual orientation or gender..

Level 25
@M0rbid, I can't see the picture, for unknown reasons :(

Off-Topic (is this a joke?)
There are quite a few "token female members" around here... But please, do we really even have to care about this bullshit?

I'm a filthy pervert, so please; don't restrict my burning will to draw women from my sexist point of view...

Seriously, do we really have to bring this up..? Does anyone here really give a rat’s ass about it..? I don’t give a shit about what some feminist (or something in its ilk) thinks about my sexploited art that might objectify women… Argh… This just makes me angry…

Sorry for even mentioning this... But seriously...

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

In that case I suggest we have enjoy, Kimberly and Lioness judge. They'd all be capable, anyway. :3

Level 26

it is sexist of you to assume that all guys are sexist. you hyprocritical piece of predjudice

Level 13
it is sexist of you to assume that all guys are sexist. you hyprocritical piece of predjudice
i am a guy and i don't consider myself particularly sexist, so i don't assume that all guys are sexist. it is innocent of you to think that the average maturity on the internet is higher than that of a hormone crazed thirteenager, you... highly intelligent piece of staff.

i don't have a political agenda to further here, my main concern is with bad taste, and my chances to compete with a tasteful piece of art against a festival of boobage.

for reference, the evony case
evony advertisement(warning, NSFW)
compare with evony gameplay

edit:for a bit of perspective here: many people would agree with me if i stated twilight sucks, and nobody would bat an eye if i stated it's sole selling point was the underlying eroticism fanservicing hordes of vapid, barely pubescent, teenage girls, but... damn those who try to put some reasonable armor on our curvaceous female rpg characters!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The theme should have been like Christmas or something. but leh? xD

GL. x)

No. 'tis technically a January contest with an early start as far as reference go. Besides, like I've tried to demonstrate; we can't really have abstract themes, the abstract is applied by the artist.

This is one of the cases where I actually respect your judgement. I do find it hypocritical that people accuse all men of being sexist or all whites of being racist, when, really, such people are being prejudiced themselves by accusing an entire category of people of being prejudiced based solely on their ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender.

Worst thing to be nowadays is a white christian straight male. Everyone will accuse you of being racist because you're white, sexist because you're male, intolerant of other religions because you're christian, and anti-gay just because you are straight...
Unfortunately, I am a white christian straight male, and I have indeed been discriminated against, constantly, in people's efforts to "prevent" discrimination.

Back to the topic, I'm seeing a lot of obese women, great job creating an unexpected result for the contest, eh. As long as it turns out to be art in the end, that's all great. Teach people not to expect every woman of art to be a pretty little princess, ha!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You're judging how generic his design is by looking at the sketch for the pose? Amazing, you have some serious fortune telling skills.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Amazon, more often than not, describes a tribal female warrior, and not much else. That's like saying princess is generic, or even woman is generic. And that is true, but it has no impact in concept art. Point being you shouldn't judge a concept before you've actually seen it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You don't seem to understand. Concept art is about taking something generic, like an archetype or a class, and creating a new concept out of it that resembles the theme. Admittedly, though, not all concept art is meant to be inventive. If your entry is not generic at all, it doesn't follow the theme and would be disqualified.

So to summarise the last few posts - a design is generic if you've seen it before, a concept is generic if it is recognisable as something. That is, if you can look at a concept art and see what it is without reading the title, it is a generic concept art. Generic concept art is good. Generic design is bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.