• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #5 - Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

That thumb looks great? :O

The other finger is way too defined though, to a point that it reminds me of hagiography.

If by great you mean large, then yes. It was a mistake that came with some resizing of the arm I did, and I figured I'd keep it. I've changed the gesture now though, so the long thumb is gone.

Too defined? Hagiography? Pardon?

Phorcys33WIP12.png

Starting to get there design-wise.

WIP 3: Now with colour! Made on GIMP. Give some critique please :)

Backstory: As the Sundering was occuring, a large Blue Dragon was sucked into the Maelstrom by accident. As Azshara wanted its service, it asked the Old God to also mutate the Blue Dragon to allow it to survive underwater, turning it into some strange thingymabob. Unfortunately, the magical pull of the Maelstrom was so strong, it sucked in the bloody serpent, and spat it out in a lake in... er...Scotland. One day, a local fisherman was, um, fishing, when it saw the tail of the leviathan. He went to all his friends, telling them about the monster in Lake Ness. However, a twisted turn of events...his stupid accent caused all the townsfolk to call the beast the 'Loch Ness' Monster. Ever since, this half-Naga, half-blue Dragon, half-stupid idea of GhostThruster has been dwelling in the depths of 'Loch' Ness. Oh, and it looks like Gyarados.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WIP 3.jpg
    WIP 3.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 257

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The flesh is out of sight, and it looks like it's connected because it's not shaded yet.
I'll draw a few more sketches for the head to show the design in the final entry.

If by great you mean large, then yes. It was a mistake that came with some resizing of the arm I did, and I figured I'd keep it. I've changed the gesture now though, so the long thumb is gone.

Too defined? Hagiography? Pardon?

Phorcys33WIP12.png

Starting to get there design-wise.

By great I meant beautiful. Hagiography is religious art that derrives from the Byzantine era:
Byzantine-(18).jpg

Look at the lighting on the pic I posted, it looks like the lighting of your piece. :)

I preferred the previous thumb to be honest, it was really fine.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Looks really awkward, but I guess that's the point. ^_^

Level 2
Aight, I've partially signed up to this forum because of this contest, and have lurked around for long long. :)

Here's my entry:

A Shinigami, supposed God of Death in Japanese culture. I've been tying to figure out if this would fit in or not with mythology things, but I also think this could pass on as Hades. :D Thou my main inspiration was actually derived from the manga Death Note.

I've also tried to grab a nice art style - and I'm not good with actual real stuff either, thou before I haven't done much character concept art either. And I don't really do characters. :p

Here are some wips:

A black and white speed painting I did, to get the deal down.
shinigami_bnw_speedpaint_1.jpg

And an edited version, a bit different shapes, more thinned body (I think it works better), and a bit taller as well. Also did the first color pass. Seems interesting, but I might go for a fiery look. Oh, and bat-like wings incoming. :3
mythical_creature_shinigami.jpg

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Desiderium, your host seem to be down/file path has changed. You should probably attach the images to your post.

Phorcys33WIP15.png

(Don't mind the missing fingers on his right hand, I'm going to add a weapon and I'm not sure how I want him to hold it yet.)

I'm a WIP-spammer. :3

Level 11
I'm in this now, why not. Sketched up a few poses of Fenrir, the big ol' wolf from Norse mythology. Gave him a few tweaks from just being a wolf, but yeah.

EDIT: And hopefully I'll find a better scanner (aka not a webcam -_-) before the end of this.

Attachments

• fenris1.jpg
    fenris1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 246
  • fenris2.jpg
    fenris2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 236
Level 13
@NFWar, aww I was hoping for somthing epic from you.

@Xatoga, wow its looking really good so far ^^

Level 7
@M0rbid
What the f***! totaly awesome, but the legs seems to point to every possible direction you could find :p

EDIT: added my first wip of my new choice: the Chimaira!

attachment.php

Attachments

• chimaira.jpg
    chimaira.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 395
Meh, I'm in it for the fun. I'll be lucky if I make it to 2nd last...

Everyone's doing ancient stuff. Greek, Norse, whatever else. I'm the only one to think up some shit from Scotland. Speaking of which, WIP 4 and extra one.

WIP 4: Nearly finished. Just need to smoothen the edges.
WIP 4.5: 9/10 finished. Just needs a background.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• WIP 4.jpg
    WIP 4.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 278
  • WIP 4.5.jpg
    WIP 4.5.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 274
Level 16
WHY DIDN'T I HEAR OF THIS SOONER? D:
Oh well. Count me in.

@GhosT: 4.5 is way blurrier than 4
@warhog: Chimera? I see Nemean Lion. Wait. Snake-tails....
@M0rbid: Nude? NUDE?

Chrome and shiiK is in too? D:

Level 7
The goat head is usually placed right next to the lion head. Probably left of the lion head, from frontal perspective.

actually I read that the lion is the normal head, the goat head is on the back and the snake is tha tail.
I think i will do only one head with different features from both the goat and lion :)

Must the final submission have colors ? or cant it be in black and white ?

it doesn't have to be in colour no

Level 38
actually I read that the lion is the normal head, the goat head is on the back and the snake is tha tail.

That's how the initial description of the chimera is, or the one from the legend the Chimera is in. Don't think I've played any games that used that concept though (which makes me kind of sad, really). Usually the Chimera is portrayed as a three-headed beast, usually with one of the heads being a lion's and the others ranging from goats, snakes, dragons, falcons, bulls, and any other creature that appears in some sort of hybrid creature. In one of the final fantasy's (10?) the chimera was a three-headed humanoid with a snake for one of its arms. That one was kinda cool.

I think the word chimera can actually be used to describe any sort of creature that is a sort of collage of different critters.

In medicine the word chimera is used to describe a rare phenomenon in which a person has two different DNA sets from twins essentially growing into the same person. They look just like anyone else and you can't tell unless you take multiple samples of their DNA to see if they have two different sets.

Anyways, I'm liking the concepts I'm seeing from everyone.
The Arachne looks sort of zombie-ish and creepy, which is sort of a good look for a spider.
I like how the Fenris looks like a massive Hellhound.

Level 48
67chrome, Age of Mythology has "classical" chimaera, with the goat head being stuck somewhere halfway through the body. Either the goat head or the snake tail actually breath fire, too; which is pretty cool, but incredibly weird. Also, all of the fur, and body, is that of a lion.

EDIT: Nevermind. Checked again. It's actually three-headed. Sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.