• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #5 - Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

photo_1_4ea0046557275884902c10e3291a6e36.jpg

concept%20art.png
contest.png
number.png
5.png

Mythology
Contestants are to create a concept for something mythological. This can be a creature, a person, an environment, etc. It can be taken from real myths or it can be made up.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png
  • All entries must follow THW's rules
  • Blood, gore, intense violence, and extreme visions of the grotesque are allowed as long as they follow site rules and are appropriate for the concept
  • Backgrounds on concepts where they are not the main focus are allowed so long as they do not detract from the concept
  • Older works not permitted
  • Art theft will result in appropriate punishment
    • Photomanipulation, paintovers, tracing, and so on are not allowed in this contest
  • Attempts to manipulate the poll will be dealt with accordingly
  • At least one WIP (Work in progress) must be shown before the deadline, but more is preferred
  • Your final submission must be attached to a post in this thread using either the JPG, PNG, or GIF file formats
    • If you use JPG, be sure to save at maximum quality
  • Both traditional and digital media are accepted for this contest
  • You may create as many entries as you want but you may only choose one as your final submission to be voted on and judged
prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and a special award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points

judges.png

• Tell us if you want to judge!

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

"Correct"ness
Does the creature/human have realistic anatomy? (Like if the structure of the design is balanced and aesthetically pleasing.) Does the environment make geological sense? Etc./15

Creativity
How inventive is the concept? Does the creature/environment look original or does it look generic?/15

Theme
How well does the concept fit into the theme of mythology?/15

Style
How well does the entrant take advantage of their medium? Do they show creativity in their depiction? Is the style suitable for a concept?/5
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 12th October 2010 and conclude on 12th November 2010, 11:59 GMT

Last edited:
Level 16
Awesome! :D
Good luck to contestants, I hope to see some good stuff here!

If I actually succeeded to become an artist I would join this, but my skills are "too good" >>

Then draw alot where ever you can (on school benches, notebooks, books, on walls etc [so do i :p ] ) :ogre_haosis:

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to open

seriously, concept art competition? that's how I see it.

Hiveworkshop Concept art competition #7 = The subject: hey draw anything you want just for fun... I mean, something original :D cause anyway you can draw everything you want, as long as its from after 1000 B.C and before 200... but it has to be original, but! it can be anything! :)))))))))))

sounds like fun!?! dude, this is no concept art competition, it's just = show us your skills in drawing and fuck the concept, who cares about them anyway?

do something more precises, like

''If a god from Parthenon would create a new creature, what would it be?'' (and we can base ourself from 1 of the X brothers and sisters from the mythology and based a concept on ''what each represents'')

or like

''Draw us a titan, how you picture them in the greek mythology, before the gods were born''

or like

''Draw us a freaking mytology creature from any kind of mythology (Celtic/greek/indian/Inuit) but! it has to be a creature that represents fear! (or something else like, it has to be a underwater creature, or it as to be a creature that can fly).

Level 25
Where do you see that?
I'm far from the person to talk about this BUT, can't something have a realistic enough anatomy and still look cartoonish?

Guess it sounded more like a statement rather than a question. I meant it to recieve some sort of clarification that. Wasn't sure how it should be read. But that might be true, yes. Thanks for responding.

Level 16
I think I'm gonna base it on a folkore tale/mythological tale from my area:

The Buck Riders were a godless gang of bandits, thieves, and murderers that roamed the districts of Limburg. According to legend, they had sealed a pact with the devil himself; With one slash of his finger he split the earth, forming a hellish chasm. From the burning abyss he hexed up a large number of demonic bucks on which the riders would sear through the skies of 18th century Limburg. This way they were able to pillage and plunder at their liking, able to rapidly attack any house they could spot from the air. The devil of course, evil and cunning as he is, wanted something in return for his conjuring. And after a couple of years, when the buck riders were growing rich and tired of their pillaging, he came to them. He asked them why they had not rode their bucks in a long time. The riders, overconfident with all their riches, answered they had ridden them! And that the fiery fiend had not been paying attention! The devil became furious upon hearing such lies but did not show it. He secretly put another spell on the band of thieves. The moment a rider would mount his buck, it would catch fire and prevent the rider from getting off. So a year later, on one day the group was once again in need of food and gold. They greeted their bucks and prepared to set off into the sky. But as we know, the devil had patiently planned out his scheme and the bucks lit on fire! They burned through the air like meteors and people say they could hear the screams of the buckriders in all of Limburg. Eventually the bucks headed for the large crack in the land from which they came. And the devil greeted his old friends and his new servants with much delight. Even this day you can see the remains of the gate to hell in the landscape. Although some people say it is just a legend...

(oh im not making this up btw :p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckriders)

Level 16
I'm going to draw something from nordic or celtic mythology(or Aztec) first i'm starting with Sköll, Hati and Fenris.

Level 25
So are your own kind of mythological creatures allowed? What I mean is, if my minotaur looks damn weird and nothing like anything most people think a minotaur looks like, it is allowed to look that way?

Edit:
Nevermind, I'm in, will be doing Yurei from the japanese mythology. Yurei are synonymous with ghosts of Western culture. Their name roughly means "faint soul". Typically they were known to have black hair, drooping hands, no legs and wear white clothes. They could be accompanied by hitodama lights and resulted from people dying without proper burial rights or with some task on Earth still undone.

Last edited:
Level 16
So are your own kind of mythological creatures allowed? What I mean is, if my minotaur looks damn weird and nothing like anything most people think a minotaur looks like, it is allowed to look that way?
Well yeah, thats the idea of a Concept Art contest isn't it? Were would be the creativity or concept in drawing a standard minotaur? In my opinion it's all about creating your own perception of a myth.

Joining.
Does the entry have to be a creature or can it be a structure? The opening statement says yes, but the actual rules say no.

Structures are fine.

Where does it say that in the rules? These were edited from the last concept art contest (which only allowed creatures) so I might've missed something.

Level 31
Wip time.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I made very big arms and hands to represent that he is very good blacksmither (the cyclops made weapons for the gods when they were in war with the titans). I also wanted to make him look like an ogre and to make him look a bit slow but very stong.

I wanted to make an hammer instead of the left hand, but finaly i'll change it (later).

So i think i'll be finished tomorow..

Attachments

• Cyclop_wip1.png
    Cyclop_wip1.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 466
  • Cyclop_wip2.png
    Cyclop_wip2.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 522
Status
Not open for further replies.