• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #5 - Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that weird unvulnearable lion or what it was also "exists" now too. anyway...

seriously this is getting ridiculous,

if you think his concept is nothing but a drawing of two birds, than he will loose all the points he had in the ''ideas'' and will automatically won't win..

now, it's nice from all of you to say he's not original and he will choose if he wants to change his concept or not.. :\

and about that, all the comments about people drawing humanoid... isn't necessary and don't have their place in this thread..

Now, we can all agree this contest have a freaking open subject, so everyone, can draw what ever he/she wants to draw... we just have to remember it's a ''concept competition'' and it's more about the look and the cool idea of representing a mythological creature, more than how well it have been done.

Last edited:
I don't know why bother?

Anyway here is another WIP

Attachments

• Hugin and Munin7.png
    Hugin and Munin7.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 361
can it be science fiction? or classical mythology only.

I wouldn't exactly consider science fiction mythology.
About classical, idk, I just wouldn't consider science fiction myth

Wikipedia said:
In the study of folklore, a myth is a sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form.[5][6][7] Many scholars in other fields use the term "myth" in somewhat different ways.[7][8][9] In a very broad sense, the word can refer to any traditional story.[10]

My WIP. scanner messes with the colors for some reason.

looks nice.. but remember, this is not a 2D contest, it's a concept art.

so it's better if we see the creature completly (front, and side view) in a T posture than to see it in action half hidden.. :\

so before getting further, I can tell you, we don't see a shit about that hydra of yours except the face.

My wip, I would appreciate comments.

some thing I said to the other..

It's not a freaking 2D art competition, it's a freaking concept art competition.

what we want is

FEZ___Warrior_Concept_Sheet_by_InfinityWork.jpg

understand?, no scenes involve, no In battle involve, no dancing involves, nothing, a static pause and THAT'S ALL!, we want the detail nothing more nothing less.

:ogre_datass:

Level 13
some thing I said to the other..

It's not a freaking 2D art competition, it's a freaking concept art competition.

what we want is

FEZ___Warrior_Concept_Sheet_by_InfinityWork.jpg

understand?, no scenes involve, no In battle involve, no dancing involves, nothing, a static pause and THAT'S ALL!, we want the detail nothing more nothing less.

:ogre_datass:

I don't agree with you here, what you have there is a design sheet or a reference picture that could be used for modeling.

If i understand you right, your saying this is not concept art?

Though i agree that it would be more useful if you do it like in the picture you linked.

umm no, mr goblin. for example
Rustborne_Aquilae_by_Mr__Jack.jpg

that counts as a concept art. its creating something new that no one else has thought of.
now if 4eNNightmare puts the character in a scene, it adds to the back story. The back story is also a part of the concepting process. In this case, there is already a back story behind so by putting the character in a scene strengthens that backstory without having to explain it.

Level 18
Even though this contest isn't limited to characters the old rule that at least 75% of the character has to be visible might still be useful to followed for those doing characters. I wouldn't say concept art has to be a static pose though as long as additions tell more about the character (but that's not up to me to decide).

a concept should at least show the entire body of the character
like what blizzard does with their concepts.
art617-Omegalisk_concept.jpg

thats what I really ment for concept,

what the two other members did was to show only like the head or the chest and head of a character, wich is far from being enough when you are making concept art.

Status
Not open for further replies.