• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #5 - Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
@NextGenHuman, I'm just pointing out some stuff here:
- The arms are way to long.

- The legs looks really weird, I guess they are suppose to look like this (or like this, Anubis)?
If they are, then you need to put the, in the right perspective (can't explain how, but hopefully someone will be able to).
Right now they look really flat and unnatural, and they are way to small compared to the chest/upper body.

- The hands.
Yes, I know, it's hard to draw hands, but they are really small compared to his chest and arms.

I hope I wasn’t too harsh, mate.

Level 25
Another WIP from me.
Those who don't know what the blue things is or what it shall represent check here.

My concept is in short terms (will explain the whole concept when it is done) a daughter of the emperor in japan was murdered. Her spirit was not satisfied without a revenge on her murderer. Now her ghost roams the forests and lands, ressurecting fallen warriors to aid her in her quest for vengeance.

Attachments

• Yurei.png
    Yurei.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
Level 13
@Elainiel, your story for the concept is really cool, the entry itself is ok, but it could still use a little more work.

@Berz, your extended entry is amazing, the ravens look even better now that they're zoomed out :thumbs_up:

Level 25
@Elainiel, I highly suggest you not to use so much smudge, it looks very blurry/messy and unprofessional.
I know, smudge is “super awesome” when you start playing around with Digital Art, but as you become a better artist, you’ll understand why most people actually hate it.
And remember… I’m not trying to “bring you down” or anything; in fact I’m trying to help you :)

Hmm, it seems that I have not shown a WiP when I was supposed to yesterday.
Anyway, here it is.
CaladriusSmall.jpg
Basically its a doctor with a bird head. I'll write some fancy story later when I feel like it.
As a funny note it took 3 attempts to post this. One the hive server crashed, two didnt post for some reason and three hive was backuping database.

Hmm, it seems that I have not shown a WiP when I was supposed to yesterday.
Anyway, here it is.
View attachment 91306
Basically its a doctor with a bird head. I'll write some fancy story later when I feel like it.
As a funny note it took 3 attempts to post this. One the hive server crashed, two didnt post for some reason and three hive was backuping database.

hooooo I like this concept, it's simple, yet attractive.

I do think you should include more birdy elements tough :\

If not, it's quite simple (human body + a bird head)
which isn't very creative if you ask me. Maybe, try to include more ''bird'' features to your character, maybe not wings, but like bird hands and feet and a tail of feathers. It's up to you to see, and beside, you might want to wait for the other members comment before considering what I just said.

Level 7
Wait a minute! What is exactly concept art on this site? Do you apply 3D art, or only 2D, because I made a plan of a possible workflow: sketch on paper > base model in 3ds Max >
> details in Zbrush > texturing in Photoshop > setting up the scene and rendering in 3ds Max > some editing in Photoshop > et voilá.

Level 25
Hello. Just asking...(I feel like a dumbass)
Is it too late to join? If it isn't, then I'm in for the ride.

Also, does it need colour?

You can enter at anytime, as long as you are done with your submission before the end of the contest, and have shown at least one WIP.
Dunno about the color, but guess it won't matter.

Here is my final submission, might polish it a bit if I see anything that might need polishing. But in that case I will update this one.

Concept is: The daughter of the emperor in japan was murdered in her sleep. Her spirit was not satisfied without a revenge on her murderers. Now her ghost roams the forests and lands, ressurecting fallen warriors and devilious spirits to aid her in her quest for vengeance.

Attachments

• Yurei.png
    Yurei.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 976
Last edited:
I heard something about someone wanting me to make my concept more "bird-like", so here's what I want to say. I wanted my concept to be as realistic as possible, so there will be no mutations of any sort, but I will add some more "bird/religious" things on the guy. Also, my doctor concept is not a "combat-medic" or anything, its a "city-life" doctor that will go to nobles abodes and try to cure them for hefty sums, or basic healing (herbs and crap, not magic!) to the poorer people. If the doctor got into a fight it will get killed pretty quickly.
My concept is based on the Caladrius bird, which is a snow white bird that could see if someone would soon die.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caladrius For more info.
Anyway, I haven't done anything to the actual art yet, but heres some stuff I will add for your amusement.
Image I'm mainly basing on
caladrius-bird-reputed-to-foretell-the-fate-of-a-sick-man.jpg
Small Comic I based from previous pic
Comic.jpg
And some crappy drawn hand designs.
CrapHands.jpg

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Think I've established what I'm going to do, so here's a quick sketch of what I have in mind.

Phorcys33WIP1.png

This is Phorcys, a sea god from Greek Mythology. He's the son of Pontus and Gaia, husband to Ceto and father of the Phorcydes - a collection of monstrous creatures including the Gorgons. Technically, he's described as a merman (male counterpart to mermaids) with crab-claws and red spikes all over his skin. I decided to make my own twist on that. I've taken the lower body from a lobster, most of the upper body is human and the head is just something vile. I've stolen Poseidon's trident as well, and added a shield. Might do some more additions to make him more fearsome and eye-catching, but this is what I'm aiming for initially.

That said, I'm intrigued to do a piece of Ceto as well, and pick whichever turns out the best for the contest.

Level 38
This contest looks pretty interesting; I've just got to come up with something to do.

@ Elainiel - hair is usually all around the same length, with a few exceptions. Right now the hair on your ghost seems more feather-boa-ish with all the little pieces that are coming off the side. The background is pretty cool but it sort of interferes with your subject, It might be more powerful if you cropped it down with a greater focus on your ghost. Other than that good stuff ;)

@ shiiK - didn't Triton's have tridents as well? I didn't think it was a Poseidon/Neptune exclusive thing. Sounds like what you're doing is a sort of Triton anyways, looks pretty cool from what I can see so far to ;)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Ah, hm, I guess Triton would indeed be similar to Phorcys, because he's a merman all the same. Triton does, also, carry a trident, like his father, Poseidon, does.

I'm going to try to put it in perspective here, though. Phorcys is either considered the son of Pontus and Gaia or Oceanus and Thethys. Both Oceanus and Thethys are Gaia's children (Uranus, brother of Pontus, being the father). Cronus and Rhea, brother and sister to Oceanus, respectively, are the parents of Poseidon. This pretty much puts Phorcys as the same generation as Poseidon, or one before. Triton, being Poseidon's son, falls into the newer generation.

I'm going to go out on a limb (because I don't have the necessary sources at hand) and say Phorcys is the eldest of the three, Triton being youngest.

Not that anybody asked for such an elaborate description, but because of it, I'm getting rid of the trident.

Edit: Might as well add the next WIP.

Phorcys33WIP3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna do a Naga Loch Nessie... My scanner won't work so would it be alright if I took a pic with my camera(good quality one)?

EDIT:
The WIPs I release will be:
1st - a rough-handrawn sketch to give me an idea of the shape
2nd - a detailed sketch near-exact to my final one
3rd - a rough digital outline of the creature
4th - an unpolished near-final version
1st WIP: no colour, crappy, unclear text page, and done in 1 hour in science period at school
attachment.php

Attachments

• WIP 1.JPG
    WIP 1.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Level 25
Updated it a bit. Messed around a small bit with the hair, to get rid of some of the most weird hairstraws.

One question, am I allowed to use both versions (the cropped one and the original one, as well, some sort of different viewpoints?) or do I have to decide for one as a final submission?

Attachments

• Yurei2.png
    Yurei2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,378
Level 16
Well I can't say for the judges and the rest of the public voters, but I will consider the concept more than the way it is drawn. Obviously it's a combination of the two though and I think especially the public vote will go to the most aesthetically pleasing entry. The one with the biggest wow-factor.

Level 51
Yeah, just take my submission for example. :p

hehe, jeah, :p

Well I can't say for the judges and the rest of the public voters, but I will consider the concept more than the way it is drawn. Obviously it's a combination of the two though and I think especially the public vote will go to the most aesthetically pleasing entry. The one with the biggest wow-factor.

Well, just what I thought :)

Then, I might be entering xD

Thanks for answering btw ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.