• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #4 – Poll

Which submission is, in your opinion, the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41

1234047002Og4jbp.jpg

Cinematic Contest #4 - The Story of...

This is the public poll for the fourth edition of the Hive's Cinematic Contest. The theme of this competition was to create a cinematic where one person tells another person a story.
Check the official thread for more information.

Below are the rules and conditions for this poll:
  • Each user may vote only once.
  • The competitors must not vote for themselves or create multiple accounts for this end.
  • Participants may not bribe users for votes.
  • Judges must not vote in the public poll.

Submissions

Level 19
Hemlock's cinematic was pretty awesome and I loved all the 'special effects' but it stopped half way through the action because of a bug. :(

I've always admired CMarket's work because of his excellent ability in making awesome lore. I'm a lore guy so CMarket gets my vote.

Level 15
CMarkets had an really impressive story and matched the theme well. I also liked the camera movements, and the in-door environments. The cinematic got boring after a while though, and not worth rewatching, as mentioned above.

Hemlocks was very nice. Whils't the story was kind of "Meeh", the effects were completely awsome. Could have been a bit lower camera in some cases though, mostly overviewing cameras. Also you could hve putten a bit more effort in terraining.

Nonethles, GREAT **********ING work, both of you. 5/5 to both, seriously. I give my vote to Hemlock

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
the story for both i enjoyed

the action in "darkness within" was totally sick. it matched the theme well and the voice of the story teller really gave more of an effect to the story as apposed to someone just talking in a normal tone.

the sound in "the Clown of as'latur" was really scratchy like it was recorded at several different locations and the voice actor for the priest was kinda hard to understand what he was saying without reading along. i like how you made alot of different enviroments for the story to take place as well as a awsome job on the terraining, specifically the house.

my vote goes for "the darkness within"

Level 17
I think both cinematics were nice. Here's my review for each:

Darkness Within
Story: 4/10
I will rate this with 4 due to the fact that there is no big storyline. Darkness and fear becomes to a creature and slaughters everything and everybody. I miss the big story!
Execution: 10/10
Full Score. You put nice effects and battles in there. You made it look very eyecandy and therefore you'll get full score.
Terrain/Landscape: 8/10
The terrain was good. You more matched it for the battles, but what I could see was OK. I was missing the big conviction though in some places.
Spelling/Grammar: 4/5
Some flaws in the grammar but it were just a few!

Total: 26/35 74,3%
The Clown of As'Latur
Story: 10/10
Good Story, the idea was great! I could follow it and it is definitely worth full score!
Execution: 7/10
Good Execution. You made it look realistic and put the actions nice together. I was missing a good battle or at least some eyecandy-effects like in your opponent's cinematic though!
Terrain/Landscape: 10/10
Wow, the terrain was lovely! You used every space very well, I especially like the inside of the house! Well done, full score here!
Spelling/Grammar: 5/5
You obviously have no problems with the english language! ;)

Total: 32/35 91,4%
My vote will go to CMarket!

Reactions: Rui
Level 14
Glad to see this is up and running. :)

Just wanted to throw something on the table. Nothing concrete, just something to think about regarding being able to watch it over and over: I can watch this clip a lot more than this clip, but that doesn't mean I like the first one better.
Not trying to affect any votes or minds, just wanted to give some perspective on the matter.

Level 25
heh downloaded both :D will throw my vote tomorrow
Good luck both.

Edit: Voted

Well I chose
"The Clown of As'Latur"
when the cinematic started, there is a story development which made me force myself to watch to know what will happen, I was exited to know what will happen next in each scene and what was the plot of the story.

the other one was all special effects smash and slash with no strong story and all was expected to happen, a demon/ghost/specter thing attack a village and start killing everything with class, suddenly a hero counter him and they both fight.
Finally there are two expected endings:
the first is that the hero wins and the second is that the fight will not end and will be undecided :/ so .. no surprise.
while in the clown one (Cmarket's cinematic) the story ends with the possibility of many sequels that might continue the story in many unexpected ways

So my vote goes to Cmarket for his Awesome work
the second Cinematic is good also but needs to focus on the story more than the effects and fights because for me it was like some trailer to a story more than it was actually a story

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I was thinking of writing my critique after the poll closed, but I may end up doing it earlier to get this over with.
By the way, I was needing the official thread to let users discuss prizes and judging criteria. Since it was inactive, though, I assume people don't have a problem if we do it our own way. Nevertheless, if anyone wishes to complain, please do so in this thread.

Level 13
heh downloaded both :D will throw my vote tomorrow
Good luck both.

Edit: Voted

Well I chose
"The Clown of As'Latur"
when the cinematic started, there is a story development which made me force myself to watch to know what will happen, I was exited to know what will happen next in each scene and what was the plot of the story.

the other one was all special effects smash and slash with no strong story and all was expected to happen, a demon/ghost/specter thing attack a village and start killing everything with class, suddenly a hero counter him and they both fight.
Finally there are two expected endings:
the first is that the hero wins and the second is that the fight will not end and will be undecided :/ so .. no surprise.
while in the clown one (Cmarket's cinematic) the story ends with the possibility of many sequels that might continue the story in many unexpected ways

So my vote goes to Cmarket for his Awesome work
the second Cinematic is good also but needs to focus on the story more than the effects and fights because for me it was like some trailer to a story more than it was actually a story

Eventho story is not all there is to a movie (more accurately it's one of the many) , I understand your review about the story part of the cinematic.
It has partially to do with the fact that my work involves allot of triggering, timing, balancing and testing certain things over a dozen times.
As you might have seen, the cinematic I made was only pre(beta) released, in order to at least have A participant for this contest, therefor I could invoke only a small portion of the story into the cinematic, there might be a full release when I find the time, when more character attributes are illustrated and more keys to the story are being given away perhaps more obvious to the audience as well.

Specifically I find the fact that I couldn't make my correct ending to the cinematic very disappointing, for your assumptions as to how this cinematic ends are wrong, even tho you might be surprised by that.

Level 18
ive seen both cinematics, and id have to admit i liked C markets alot more then hemlocks. here are my reasons why :

1) Hemlocks use of action and special effects was pretty awsome. The spinning shadow spawn things were very cool. However despite all this action there was no real story being told. I understand that the narrator was talking about a demonic force that wants to destroy worlds, but i was barly paying attention to that, and more on the action. Of course not at all original, it was good execution. Camera and terrain work wornt that good though, sorry to say.

Camera - 6/10
Terrain - 5/10
Story - 6/10
Special effects - 10/10
execution - 9/10

----

As for C Market. Although there wasnt as much action in the cinematic, it makes up for this in mystery, bringing me into the story. The imported sound really helped me focus in on the story and what was being told. The terrain was very beutiful especially the interior and exterior of the haunted house. Not only that but the camera work was well done, it made me feel like i was in the mans body when he cut up his wife. As for execution it was well done, although the audio could have been a bit better.

camera - 9/10
Terrain - 9/10
Story - 10/10
Special effects - 4 /10
Execution 8/10

Totals : Hemlock = 36 points.
C Market = 40 points.

my vote went to C Market.

----

As for the both of you :

Hemlocks extrodinary ability to create nice special effects and trigger work, combined with the Story creating and camera work of C Market , COMBINED with my further terraining ability, could make a humongous awsome movie that would be box office best =D ( lol im kidding by the way, but really one day you guys should collaborate and create a cinematic. )

Status
Not open for further replies.