• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #1 - Humor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cinematic Contest

CinematicImage.jpg

Brief Overview:

Cinematic Contest
What are Cinematics?

Cinematics are motion films. Cinematics can be created using Warcraft III World Editor, and it can look real good and become a legendary cinematic such as CotD or CotN if they are that good.

Practice makes perfect, keep practicing and you'll be the next Zurg!

What is Needed?
  • Warcraft III World Editor (It is possible in RoC, but it might be a bit more difficult)
  • Basic Cinematic and Triggering Knowledge
Cinematic Tutorial Links:
Introduction:

In this contest, you and other members will compete to see who created the best cinematic. Like many other contests, I want this one to be clean and spam free, so here are the rules:

Rules:
  • Do NOT SPAM here!
  • Do not make pointless posts
  • Please post here if you would like to join
  • Do not say "This contest sux! muahaha!" Keep your opinions to yourself please
  • Do NOT steal other people's work, it will result in an automatic disqualification
  • Please follow the theme mentioned below in your cinematic
  • Please post maps under 26 MB, I don't want it to be a recreation of Zurg's horrifying cinematic file sizes
  • All imported materials must be credited
  • Please follow the time limits
  • No using maps you already were working on
  • Do not submit more than 1 cinematic, but if you do, choose only one to be your final cinematic
Theme:

This contest's theme is humor cinematics. To those who don't know what humor cinematics are, it is basically comedies that are funny. It can be a parody, a random cinematic, or anything you want as long as it can make you laugh. I do not want you to drift to far away from this theme such as having one joke then the rest all serious. What you need to do is create a cinematic that has "humor" added into it so that it is funny, even if it is only funny in your opinion but please do not do something rude or make fun of someone, unless it is me because I can take jokes like that. ;)

Refusing to follow this theme will cause an automatic disqualification in the contest.

Grading:

I am the judge to this contest and I will be grading you on the subjects below. I will be fair, so don't worry. There will be no public poll though most would assume that it would be so since it is for entertainment. Though I will be judging on more than just entertainment, though that is a huge factor.

I'll be grading on the storyline, plot, conflict, climax, and resolution, which are all used in stories.

The music and sounds also count; if you have bad choice in music or souds, you will get a low score. If you don't use music or sounds at all, you'll get a 0 on that grading factor. The coding and terrain are also factors of them.

I want the coding to be neat and clean; and I want the terrain to be amazing as if it were Zurg's or 2-P's. Don't complain about that, everyone can terrain if they try, which is what I want all of you to do; try.

The entertainment is also a grading factor, it must be entertaining and not dull or boring or else it will get a low score on that.

For battle cinematics, the quality, sfx, and cheesiness are all grading factors wrapped into one. Good quality means that it is clean and not blurry or too fast etc. The sfx must be there because almost all great battle cinematics have special effects, though I'm not sure about the Spirit of Vengeance. The cheesiness is a huge factor. I don't want too cheesy battles where they fight then suddenly go "let's be friends!" Unless that is a part of the humor but I still don't want to see stuff like that unless you're making fun of it. For more details, look below.

Here is what I will be grading on:

Story Cinematics:

Storyline - 40 Points

The storyline of a story cinematic is very important, if it is original, unique, creative, and interesting, you will most likely get 40/40 (10 Points for each)

Conflict - 20 Points

The conflict isn't necessarily the storyline, it is the problem or situation in the cinematic. If it is original, creative, and interesting, it will get 20/20. (About 6 points for each)

Plot - 15 Points

This is the series of events in the story. If it is unique, creative, and interesting, it will get 15/15 most likely. (5 Points each)

Climax & Resolution - 25 Points

The climax is the most exiting part of the cinematic, I don't want the whole thing to be just dull and real boring, there should be an exiting part. The resolution is how the story ends, I don't want to see crappy endings. If these are unique, creative, interesting, makes me want to see it again, and it keeps the person entertained, it will get 25/25. (5 points each)

Music & Sounds - 10 Points

Music is also important to a cinematic, without music, it will be boring. If you use good sounds in your cinematic and if you choose good Warcraft music given, you will get 10/10 if they match what you need.

Other Sounds - +5 Bonus Points

If you import other sounds for music and sounds, it will be possible to get 5 bonus points to your grade. You will also get the Music and Sounds points as long as your music is good and match the cinematic or scene.

Coding - 5 Points

I dislike bad codes and really long ones stuffed into one trigger or something like that. If your trigger coding is good, neat, and organized, you can get 5/5 points.

Terrain - 15 Points

Flat and bad terrain is what I strongly dislike. Please try hard to terrain your map and do not overflow it with doodads and things like that. If you are a bad terrainer, please view some tutorials and look at nature pictures for some inspiration. Terrain, atmosphere, and weather are all part of the grading. (5 Points Each)

Other - 5 Points

Any other criteria to be graded on will be graded, so I expect the cinematic to have more than just what was mentioned above.

Entertainment - 50 Points
If this keeps me entertained a lot and if it is very interesting, you could get 50/50 points!

Overall Grading: X/185

Battle Cinematics:

Storyline - 10 PointsMany battles don't have storylines, but I want this to have at least a bit of storyline to it. If you have that and it is good, then you can get 10/10 points.

Conflict - 20 Points

The conflict isn't necessarily the storyline, it is the problem or situation in the cinematic. If it is original, creative, and interesting, it will get 20/20. (About 6 points for each)

Plot - 15 Points

This is the series of events in the story. If it is unique, creative, and interesting, it will get 15/15 most likely. (5 Points each)

Climax & Resolution - 25 Points

The climax is the most exiting part of the cinematic, I don't want the whole thing to be just dull and real boring, there should be an exiting part. The resolution is how the story ends, I don't want to see crappy endings. If these are unique, creative, interesting, makes me want to see it again, and it keeps the person entertained, it will get 25/25. (5 points each)

Music & Sounds - 10 Points

Music is also important to a cinematic, without music, it will be boring. If you use good sounds in your cinematic and if you choose good Warcraft music given, you will get 10/10 if they match what you need.

Other Sounds - +5 Bonus Points

If you import other sounds for music and sounds, it will be possible to get 5 bonus points to your grade. You will also get the Music and Sounds points as long as your music is good and match the cinematic or scene.

Coding - 5 Points

I dislike bad codes and really long ones stuffed into one trigger or something like that. If your trigger coding is good, neat, and organized, you can get 5/5 points.

Terrain - 15 Points

Flat and bad terrain is what I strongly dislike. Please try hard to terrain your map and do not overflow it with doodads and things like that. If you are a bad terrainer, please view some tutorials and look at nature pictures for some inspiration. Terrain, atmosphere, and weather are all part of the grading. (5 Points Each)

Special Effects, Battle Quality, and Cheesiness - 35 Points

If you have good sfx, the battle quality is good, and it isn't that cheesy, then you can get 30/30 points. If it doesn't have many sfx, but the existing ones are good, I'll still give you the points. The battle quality is the quality of the battle and how it is. It must be creative, not just continous attacks. I want it to be creative such as by using traps or making units hide or using shadows. If your cinematic is really cheesy (Not actual cheese), then you could get -10 points because cheesyness does not always keep people entertained. (About 12 Points Each)

Other - 5 PointsAny other criteria to be graded on will be graded, so I expect the cinematic to have more than just what was mentioned above.

Entertainment - 50 Points
If this keeps me entertained a lot and if it is very interesting, you could get 50/50 points!

Overall Grading: X/185

If your cinematic does not take part in one of the categories above, it will be graded on its key concepts that are used in that cinematic genre/type.

Deadline:

- Deadline = July 31st - That is plenty of time to make a cinematic, it is more than 1 and a half months!

Time Limits:

- The time limit is 2-20 minutes

Conclusion:

Have fun creating cinematics!

All users are accepted in this contest, whether you are a newb or an advanced super cinematic expert. :wink:

Have fun!

~Purgeandfire

Rewards

These are the rewards for the contest:
  • 1st Place - +55 Rep and Icon
  • 2nd Place - +35 Reputation
  • 3rd Place - +25 Reputation

Please create cinematics and don't forget to try and put your best efforts into them!

Last edited:
Level 10
I have a question:

Is Racism and bad language going to be allowed?(i guess it will not, that's why this actually is more like a suggestion for a rule than a question)

I guess i will be in too if i get time, as i love humor cinematics^^ even though i've never really made any cinematic

I hope this post isnt pointless, but this is my cinamtaic I made a Loooog time ago that I was talking about. This will not be my entery, if I ever make an entery.

It isn't pointless, it is useful because it shows an example of a humour cinematic so it isn't pointless at all.

I'll join... I was desperately trying to find a humor cinematic contest previously, and I think this is the best place to go.. so I'll do it..

Sure, you can join.

I have a question:

Is Racism and bad language going to be allowed?(i guess it will not, that's why this actually is more like a suggestion for a rule than a question)

I guess i will be in too if i get time, as i love humor cinematics^^ even though i've never really made any cinematic

Racism = Unallowed
Exeptions: You can make an orc be racist to elves, but not actual religions...

Bad Language = Semi-Unallowed
Exeptions: 5 Bad Words, and some small cuss words may be accepted. Also, "d*mn" or "cr*p" aren't bad words, I just starred them out for no reason. Starring out or censorship is definitely accepted as long as the cussing isn't exessively used.

These rules are rules, but aren't as enforced as the other rules.

Sure, you can make some too. With your knowledge of triggering, it shouldn't be too hard to create. If you have trouble, you can read the external links to tutorials I gave. :wink:

Level 19
I want to join because I think this will be fun. Though I can't guarantee I will make top quality since I have no idea yet what to make. The theme is humour, but can there be also some drama, horror etc. or only humour? I mean some parts in the story that do not have humour? And can I use WEU? Can I also use ultimate terraining map and credit it only? Was there supposed to be at least one fight in the cinematic? There is one thing, I don't know how to make those ending texts like in real movies. And how do I turn the whole interface black for the cinematic?

Is it too late to join?

Nope, just started.

ofc its not, it just started..

Yup, it just started.

I want to join because I think this will be fun. Though I can't guarantee I will make top quality since I have no idea yet what to make. The theme is humour, but can there be also some drama, horror etc. or only humour? I mean some parts in the story that do not have humour? And can I use WEU? Can I also use ultimate terraining map and credit it only? Was there supposed to be at least one fight in the cinematic? There is one thing, I don't know how to make those ending texts like in real movies. And how do I turn the whole interface black for the cinematic?

>I want to join...

Sure

>Though I can't guarantee...

It's ok.. Not many people can guarantee that either.

>The theme is humour...

Yes it is, and of course, you can use other types as well as long as it has some humour to it.

>WEU?

As long as it works and isn't bugged

>Ultimate Terraining Map

I advise you not to use it because it already takes up 1 MB, but you can do as you want. I think it would be best to ask DemonsOfDante for confirmation.

>Was there supposed to be one battle...

Nope, it can be about anything. If it matches one of the categories above, it will be graded on that. If it matches both or some other catgory, it will be graded based on its content and what it is about.

Those grading criteria were just like "Examples".

>And I do not know how to...

Those don't matter as much, but if you want to do that, look at the tutorial links given. I know my tutorial has it, so look in here:

Cinematics -- by Purgeandfire

Scroll down to Black Cinematic Borders and Giving Credits... I think Bob27's tutorial covers these concepts too.

Count me in.
I'm ready to show some Heero-Skills.

Sure, try your best to win! :smile:

Note: If your cinematic wins, feel free to include that it won X place in a contest. ^^

Level 19
I know my tutorial has it
Thanks, that was simple. Now I only need a master plan... ^^ Too bad wc3campaigns are still down. Comedy is hard, right now it feels it would be so much easier to create some horror and drama. I think the toughest part for me will be to figure out good comedy...

EDIT: lol My head has been pouring with ideas. I have some of the main characters already and some basic ideas for plot. It has some humour in my opinion. I already started making the beginning scene and it's turning out to be quite funny. I'm aiming for 20 minutes and 25 Mb. But there's something I need from wc3c...

Last edited:
Thanks, that was simple. Now I only need a master plan... ^^ Too bad wc3campaigns are still down. Comedy is hard, right now it feels it would be so much easier to create some horror and drama. I think the toughest part for me will be to figure out good comedy...

EDIT: lol My head has been pouring with ideas. I have some of the main characters already and some basic ideas for plot. It has some humour in my opinion. I already started making the beginning scene and it's turning out to be quite funny. I'm aiming for 20 minutes and 25 Mb. But there's something I need from wc3c...

BUMP!

lol... Wc3c will be up pretty soon, I think. Also, just as a note, remember to not exceed the limits given because 20 min and 25 MB is right on the money. $$$

I like the humor theme but I am not into making long intros for some little joke, would seem pointless having 1½ minute of intro/outro and ½ minute of actuall plot :p

Me too, I am expecting the intros and endings to be less lengthy than the plot because the intro and ending is only one part of a three or more part plot. (The plot is usually has three or more events)

Have fun with your cinematography! :smile:

Level 9
EDITED: Okay. I read the theme and found out it was comedy. I'll try my best to get past the deadline with Battle Royale 5. Oh yeah!! I never thought there would be another cinematic contest this soon. And I used to think that cutscene makers were gone.
I'm looking forward to take a look on the other competitors cinematic. :)

Can I join? Battle Royale 5 is almost finished anyway. It composes mostly of talking and huge scale battles. I hope it gets pass the deadline.

Yup, I'll add you to the list.

What is Battle Royale 5?

A battle cinematic series that was previously hosted on Maps'n'Mods (maps.worldofwar.net/)

A cinematic, the fifth in the series I would presume :p

And you can enter with it if it is a comedy.

Yup, remember creyzi4zb12, it must be a comedy. :smile:

EDITED: Okay. I read the theme and found out it was comedy. I'll try my best to get past the deadline with Battle Royale 5. Oh yeah!! I never thought there would be another cinematic contest this soon. And I used to think that cutscene makers were gone.
I'm looking forward to take a look on the other competitors cinematic. :)

Yup, just make sure it has some humour. I look foward to the other competitors as well.

But remember that no old work is allowed.

Yea, that is also a situation. @crezyi: If you started on the project before or unintentionally for the contest, then I can't accept it... Sorry, those are the rules. :wink:

I just came up with a humor cinematic idea, altough lets see what I can make in these fews days I still have :)

About 6 weeks or somethin. :grin:

Few days? You must be kidding, it's more than month before deadline.

Yup, there is still plenty of time.

ill join too :)

when we get done do we just post our map here?

K, I'll add you to the list. Yup, you just attach your map here, as long as it is a small file under 2 MB, otherwise, I think you should instead attach it from Rapidshare or something.

Great!! I'm going to see the works of the new batch of cine mapmakers!!
I'll be waiting for your works.

Me too. :smile:

Level 9
Although I can't make any promises that I'll be able to get pass the deadline I'll try my best anyway. This is because I have a hard time making my schedules right now.
I haven't started on my cinematic yet, and I haven't come up with a theme considering the rules PurgeandFire posted. It looks like I'll have to go back to the old drawing board.

But Battle Royale 5 will come soon...I just won't submit it in the contest.

Although I can't make any promises that I'll be able to get pass the deadline I'll try my best anyway. This is because I have a hard time making my schedules right now.
I haven't started on my cinematic yet, and I haven't come up with a theme considering the rules PurgeandFire posted. It looks like I'll have to go back to the old drawing board.

But Battle Royale 5 will come soon...I just won't submit it in the contest.

It's ok... You can still submit it if you want if you finish in time. You have a long time. :smile:

Anyways, good luck.

Last edited:
I already have a screenplay (sordove):
It's raining. A frog is jumping rock-to-rock, and finds a dirt path. The frog walks onto the path and waits for something to happen......Then a huge monster foot (or tank like thing, maybe a meat wagon? I havnt dicided) comes down on the frog then walks away..
Sounds good allready! Keep it up!

Level 9
I thought u quit modding Scyth? :smile:
Ok im in, now I just need an idea...
Does any1 find peons funny?

Level 19
I thought u quit modding Scyth? :smile:
Ok im in, now I just need an idea...
Does any1 find peons funny?

Yes, I did. I still make a map or a model every once in a while, but I've left all of my projects, Acathla moved to Starcraft 2, and Ascendancy is really my only live, non-secret project ( ; And one more thing I can't do the contest anymore I just got a scholarship to Utah State!

Level 9
Hmmm,
Are we allowed to ask for help with terrain if we only get advice on how to make it better.

Level 19
Why the hell did they made patch 1.21 then? And besides it aotu install when I enter B-Net so...
Blizzard updated some small things, but nobody updated WEU. If you wish to use WEU you have to uninstall and not use b.net for the time you use WEU. And if you want to play again in b.net and then use WEU you have to uninstall again.

Status
Not open for further replies.